Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
No, I'm not that witty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Cessna posted:

True, but I'm okay with shooting them.

Obviously it would be better if they recant their ways and go on to lead a good life, but if it's 1944 and they're in a Panzer and I've got a PTRD I don't know if circumstances make it possible to have an exchange of ideas that leads to them reconsidering their life choices.
If it's your or them then do what you gotta do mang. Just be aware of what it is you gotta do.

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Arquinsiel posted:

Even if the person is a Nazi they're still a person. It's important to remember that they are 100% normal humans with the same rights and responsibilities as everyone else to prevent blindspots developing when assessing in-group behaviour.

The 1st right is to get punched.

The 2nd right is to an endless amount of shame and ridicule

The 3rd right...

You can treat anyone short of a nazi/white supremacist as a person but but that degree of racism surpasses any kind of humanitarianism. You cannot tolerate intolerance.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
To be generous I'm reasonably sure Arq's point was more along the lines of "be careful not to monsterise nazis to the point where they're some fantasy cartoon villain like orcs, who you could never possibly understand appearing by any device other than spontaneous generation, because otherwise you miss the intermediate steps in people becoming nazis and societies becoming more nazi-like". And, that's fair because I'm pretty sure a major reason that we've got so many fuckin' nazis now is that people have been culturally trained to expect an army of aryan men in black uniforms goose-stepping down the road erupting out of nowhere, rather than a pernicious campaign of "We're like to do more for foreign people, but there's no resources", "We can't do more, they need to sort out their own problems", "We told everyone foreign to stop coming but there's still foreign people here, so, I have some sensible proposals-" that gradually slips into the public awareness.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

DiHK posted:

You can treat anyone short of a nazi/white supremacist as a person but but that degree of racism surpasses any kind of humanitarianism. You cannot tolerate intolerance.

Normalizing dehumanization - the central tool of Nazism in legitimizing and reinforcing their hatred - in the name of fighting Nazism is counterproductive.

Also while the PTRD/PTRS wasn't capable of doing much to the late-war German tank models other than shoot out optics and tracks, the Germans kept old vehicles in service for a very long time. The Panzer III was withdrawn from the frontlines in summer of 1944, and on a good day you can shoot through the side of a Panzer IV, which remained in production until the end of the war.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

LatwPIAT posted:

Also while the PTRD/PTRS wasn't capable of doing much to the late-war German tank models other than shoot out optics and tracks,

Personally I'd think they'd be good at taking out a TC with his head out.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I started working on a M18 Hellcat to blow apart Class Warcraft's Nazi tanks.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Zuul the Cat posted:

I started working on a M18 Hellcat to blow apart Class Warcraft's Nazi tanks.

That's a good looking Hellcat, they never got enough love in WW2 media imo. Also which kit is that from?

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

That's a good looking Hellcat, they never got enough love in WW2 media imo. Also which kit is that from?

The Warlord Games one!

My box arrived smashed up and a corner of the hull was chipped but I managed to fix it. Be careful putting the tracks on - make sure they're all going the right way.

I really like the model. I think I'm going to test it out this Sunday. Curious to see how it performs with Recce.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spectralent posted:

And, that's fair because I'm pretty sure a major reason that we've got so many fuckin' nazis now is that people have been culturally trained to expect an army of aryan men in black uniforms goose-stepping down the road erupting out of nowhere, rather than a pernicious campaign

LatwPIAT posted:

Normalizing dehumanization - the central tool of Nazism in legitimizing and reinforcing their hatred - in the name of fighting Nazism is counterproductive.
These.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's more about accountability. "They can't help it, they're nazis" eventually becomes accepted and that wrongly alleviates some of the blame. Never forget that they started as regular people who made a series of poor choices, trading their humanity in inches for something ignoble.

Back to 1810s Russia for a minute, I'm really loving the idea of this peasant guy:

I've ordered some discount Warlord Russians (and French!) and a box of Perry Russians, and done some reading and research until they arrive. I have some spare Perry ACW Confederates I originally wanted to convert into WW2 partisans, but they might make better Russian irregulars with a little work.

The (totally unofficial) Moscow book for Sharpe Practice (and a few other sources) suggest these were present, and I love the idea of modeling farmers with bows and pitchforks. Would they be treated in the rules as conscripts? And if so, would they have been issued (partial?) uniforms or just worn civilian clothes?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah it seems to me that some people on the left overcorrect on the clean wehrmacht poo poo and forget that Germany didn't have an unfortunate crop of bad eggs born in the 1920s- normal people turn into nazis. That doesn't mean show the poor nazis mercy but to remember and recognize how you turn a regular kid at 10 into a fervent nazi soldier at 20, so it doesn't happen again.

e: oh this isn't the fascism thread, oh well

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 20, 2019

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

moths posted:

The (totally unofficial) Moscow book for Sharpe Practice (and a few other sources) suggest these were present, and I love the idea of modeling farmers with bows and pitchforks.

"Opolcheniya" is what you're looking for, peasant militia armed with anything from pitchforks to pikes:

Perry makes some:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
For further info, opolcheniye just means "militia" but the russian-and-associated narodnoye opolcheniye have a long history of great units to model in basically any era where there is a Russia. There are the napoleonic ones, but they can also be from the 17th century or from the Great Patriotic War. Opolcheniya everywhere.

e: also they get to be unfairly portrayed in certain games as the "one rifle per two men" organization.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 20, 2019

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

For further info, opolcheniye just means "militia" but the russian-and-associated narodnoye opolcheniye have a long history of great units to model in basically any era where there is a Russia. There are the napoleonic ones, but they can also be from the 17th century or from the Great Patriotic War. Opolcheniya everywhere.

e: also they get to be unfairly portrayed in certain games as the "one rifle per two men" organization.

No, those are Russian regulars/conscripts in... every AAA games.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
It was worse than that in real life in some units - one soldier got the real rifle, but the other three (or even four!) soldiers in the unit had only two weaker secondary weapons between them for self-defence. Imagine going into battle unarmed and knowing that if the enemy get too close to you, your "comrades" nearby will hose you down with machinegun fire.

Plus you have to clean loving Nazis out of your tracks.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

90s Cringe Rock posted:

It was worse than that in real life in some units - one soldier got the real rifle, but the other three (or even four!) soldiers in the unit had only two weaker secondary weapons between them for self-defence. Imagine going into battle unarmed and knowing that if the enemy get too close to you, your "comrades" nearby will hose you down with machinegun fire.

:golfclap:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
There's a wide range of opolcheniye as well, from basically armed peasants defending their homes to more organized militias with officers and drill. I think a mixed force of conscripts, militia and both mounted and dismounted cossacks would make for an interesting force that still has enough firepower to not be completely outmatched.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

90s Cringe Rock posted:

:five:

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Sum cool Russian doods 1812

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Nazis are people and deserve a degree of sympathy, if only in recognizing how they became Nazis, and the fact that they could stop being Nazis in the future.

Most Germans were Nazis for a while, and then stopped, because Nazism had been thoroughly beaten and exposed for the malignant societal ill that it is.

Nazis should absolutely be met harshly at every point and Nazis engaging in public displays of Nazism should absolutely be punched. However, behind that punch should be a certain degree of sympathy, since the point of the punch is to help the Nazi to stop being a Nazi, and prevent others from becoming Nazis.

Anyway, content: one of the challenges of 3d printing vehicles is that sometimes you only have the one file to print out the entire unit, so differentiating the models in the unit represents a bit of a modeling challenge.

Traditionally, the leader of a unit of tanks in FOW is marked by having the tank commander visible in the open hatch. This wasn't possible on my Jagdpanthers, as the model I had had all the hatches closed and I didn't have the time, skill, or inclination to remodel the 3d file.

So my JP unit leader is now marked by an extremely overenthusiastic Panzergrenadier in what is probably not a great firing position.

WIP, obviously.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Is that a big hole in the second TD from the right? Also, it's nice that the deposition layers make it look like they are covered in zimmerit. Really works for that era of vehicle.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah. The models are hollow to save resin, but to do that you need to add a drainage hole so the liquid resin can drain out while printing.

That one was the first one I did, and I forgot to add a drainage hole. So I had a hollow model full of uncured, liquid resin. :yikes:

I took a drill to the bottom to make a hole. The drill slipped, punched through the bottom, and punched a hole into the roof.

I'm gonna try to cover it with some camouflage foliage once I'm done painting them. If not, I'll just print a new one.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
3d printing sounds like a pain

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

You're not wrong.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Geisladisk posted:

Yeah. The models are hollow to save resin, but to do that you need to add a drainage hole so the liquid resin can drain out while printing.

That one was the first one I did, and I forgot to add a drainage hole. So I had a hollow model full of uncured, liquid resin. :yikes:

I took a drill to the bottom to make a hole. The drill slipped, punched through the bottom, and punched a hole into the roof.

I'm gonna try to cover it with some camouflage foliage once I'm done painting them. If not, I'll just print a new one.

You took a power tool to that? Get a palm drill. I’ve been using one for decades to drill out space marine arms for magnets.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Geisladisk posted:

Just throw a bit of plastic from some packaging or whatever under the hole and fill it up with greenstuff or your filler of choice. If that doesn't get it perfectly smooth then a bit of stowage will cover it up. Totally recoverable though.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

You took a power tool to that? Get a palm drill. I’ve been using one for decades to drill out space marine arms for magnets.

I do have one, but my printer is in my garage. My modeling tolls are in my office. My power drill, however, is in my garage.

"It'll be fine", the lazy part of my brain said.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It *can* be fine, assuming the plastic is sturdy enough. I used to use an old Bosch hammer drill to drill gun barrels in my teens by very gently tapping the trigger to keep it at a low speed with a teeny bit.

The knowledge that I'd likely loose a finger if I hosed up helped steady my hands I guess :shrug:

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I use a dremel with really small bits on the lowest settings

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yikes at risk management.

YOLO modeling!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Our rule is that it's only modeling if there's blood. Otherwise you're just playing with toys.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Signal posted:

Our rule is that it's only modeling if there's blood. Otherwise you're just playing with toys.

Funnily enough the only time I ever cut myself while modelling was when I first got into the hobby and I was too lazy to find my clippers so I just used my x-acto blade to try to remove parts from a plastic sprue.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

I've drilled into a finger more times than I can count with a pin vise, but never once with a rotary tool. I think it is because I tend to exercise caution with powered tools, rather than modelling with wild abandon.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I think the idea that a powertool can keep cutting when unsupervised is a major safety motivator that just doesn't apply to a plain old hand tool. Mostly I've been cutting myself with files these days :psyduck:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, I think the idea that a powertool can keep cutting when unsupervised is a major safety motivator that just doesn't apply to a plain old hand tool. Mostly I've been cutting myself with files these days :psyduck:

That’s actually kinda impressive. Never managed that.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The trick is to get one of the ones that's flat on one side and rounded on the other, so they come to a diamond-edged point at the sides.

Then absentmindedly use your finger as a guide for it and be just a liiiiiiitle bit too enthusiastic.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Finished up the Hellcat. Pretty happy with it but I need to work on my weathering control.

Can’t wait to blow up some panzers.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Blood makes the glue cure!

EDIT: That Hellcat turned out great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Lots of great content in this thread lately. Good job goons!

Here are my finished British and Danish brigs. I painted the flag edges as a finishing touch.

I also ordered plastic ratlines and elastic thread for rigging. I don't like the look of the clear acetate ratlines or the many slack lines in the rigging.