Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I ended up downloading Lexys Legacy of the Dragonborn mod pack through wabbajack, and it's pretty rad, and also very pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Turtlicious posted:

I ended up downloading Lexys Legacy of the Dragonborn mod pack through wabbajack, and it's pretty rad, and also very pretty.

Legacy of the Dragonborn, for me, only really became something realistic to enjoy with the special edition. Woof was that a pain on legacy. Enjoy adding like 15-20 seconds to EVERY SINGLE LOAD SCREEN.

Now that technology has caught up with the vision though it owns real good and grabs onto the collectaton brain impulses with both hands.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Prokhor posted:

Legacy of the Dragonborn, for me, only really became something realistic to enjoy with the special edition. Woof was that a pain on legacy. Enjoy adding like 15-20 seconds to EVERY SINGLE LOAD SCREEN.

Now that technology has caught up with the vision though it owns real good and grabs onto the collectaton brain impulses with both hands.

Did he ever bother to fix the huge number of typos and misspellings? (At one point, he had a voice-acted line calling it "soltheim".)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Guess which games company put a patch out for a 7 year old game that broke SKSE?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Alchenar posted:

Guess which games company put a patch out for a 7 year old game that broke SKSE?

SKSE is already updated. Just download the new version and keep playing. I just did it last night.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Turn off automatic updates for skyrim.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Turn off automatic updates for skyrim.

to be clear, you can't, steam doesn't allow automatic updates to be turned off.

What you can do is set it to install updates on game launch and then never launch the game directly, which I assume is what everyone here already does anyway (we all launch via SKSE).

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
I liked the idea of Legacy of the Dragonborn but I never knew where to place poo poo and it got real frustrating mousing over every rack in the building :(

Fenrisulfr
Oct 14, 2012

Crumbletron posted:

I liked the idea of Legacy of the Dragonborn but I never knew where to place poo poo and it got real frustrating mousing over every rack in the building :(

The current version has a desk that runs a script that checks everything in your inventory for anything placeable in the museum and places it. It sometimes misses an item or two, and it takes goddamn forever to run if you're a packrat like I am, but it means you don't need to run around trying to find a needle in a haystack. There's also a chest you can open to take stuff back so you don't have to track it down for that either.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE

Fenrisulfr posted:

The current version has a desk that runs a script that checks everything in your inventory for anything placeable in the museum and places it. It sometimes misses an item or two, and it takes goddamn forever to run if you're a packrat like I am, but it means you don't need to run around trying to find a needle in a haystack. There's also a chest you can open to take stuff back so you don't have to track it down for that either.

Well, poo poo. And I just bought a new card and CPU. Is it time?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Eric the Mauve posted:

to be clear, you can't, steam doesn't allow automatic updates to be turned off.

What you can do is set it to install updates on game launch and then never launch the game directly, which I assume is what everyone here already does anyway (we all launch via SKSE).

There's an Update tab when you go into a games settings. You can choose to only update when you run the game, and then when you run it through SKSE it doesn't automatically update.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

I had the issue that I updated SKSE to the 1.5.80 version, and some of my SKSE plugins were compiled for 1.5.73 and complained at me and then I rolled back, and started having SKSE crash every time it started running via Mod Organizer. Like Mod Organizer would run SKSE, not actually start Skyrim, then go back to Mod Organizer as if someone closed Skyrim. Then I did a "verify the integrity of these files" in steam, rolled back again, and then I can't load a game or start a new one. Whatever, I need to play Assassin's Creed: Odyssey anyway.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
What's the technical reason SKSE breaks and needs an update every time the game gets patch, does it just look for a particular version number and not start if that doesn't match? With how quick they release updates after patches drop there can't be much work involved.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CFox posted:

What's the technical reason SKSE breaks and needs an update every time the game gets patch, does it just look for a particular version number and not start if that doesn't match? With how quick they release updates after patches drop there can't be much work involved.

SKSE works by injecting its code at specific memory addresses, think of it like text amendments such as "insert the following sentence after the second sentence in the third paragraph on page 148". When the original program is updated, the memory addresses are changed, so they need to find where they are now and update SKSE accordingly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So basically there isn't a huge amount of actual coding involved, it's more the programming equivalent of a "find-replace" (and in fact find-replace might actually be used; there's probably a lot of memory addresses to amend) and most of the time is probably taken up finding the specific memory addresses that changed rather than modifying SKSE for the new Skyrim version.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Yeah, just wait a day or so.

tonberrykng
May 1, 2009

Crumbletron posted:

Well, poo poo. And I just bought a new card and CPU. Is it time?
If you're looking to dive into Legacy of the Dragonborn, I would hold off a bit as the author is close to releasing a major update that will have a ton of changes including a complete overhaul of the mod's main quest and giving it some much needed polish, which should largely fix any of the remaining typos with the quest writing mentioned earlier. However, you will need a new game to play the big update once it comes out.

The last ETA given by the mod author was Thanksgiving week, but the release date has been pushed back several times, and the author just recently posted that they ran into some unforseen complications, so it could be a bit of wait. It looks like they're close to getting to a release though.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Turtlicious posted:

Wabbajack still a thing? Also, if it's exactly the same as Lexy's guide, some of the companion mods included in don't seem to be very good. Just stick to the INPCs and Indigo. Now, admittedly I'm not super well versed with INPCs and Indigo but everything I've seen regarding them seems to suggest that they both at least feel constant with Skyrim's lore and themes. Sofia tries too hard to be funny judging from what gameplay that I've seen of it. And Toccata looks very Waifu Batey.

Is it possible to install only certain mods from a Wabbajack list? The mod guide does look very well done outside of including a few not so great mods (Falskaar = not great), but I don't wanna install over 70+ GBs of files just so that Skyrim can be fun/-er, my computers running out of space right now, and I don't wanna uninstall a poo poo ton of crap on my pc right now at the moment, just for one game I'm not really super into outside of mods.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Alchenar posted:

I don't know what scenario is more amusing, that they're still STILL finding bugs in their game almost a decade later, or that they're just releasing patches in an effort to eventually burn out the modders' motivation to keep updating because they added an extra space to some global script somewhere. Given Bethesda's current flaming need to become the Kai Leng of the gaming industry I'm leaning toward the latter.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I thought Skyrim SE (and Fallout 4) patches over the last year(s) have mostly been about Creation Club updates?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

orcane posted:

I thought Skyrim SE (and Fallout 4) patches over the last year(s) have mostly been about Creation Club updates?

As is this one. Bethesda's getting ready to roll out a bunch of new CC content if they haven't already.

downtimejesus
Apr 24, 2007

nevermind got it

downtimejesus fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Nov 22, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheNamedSavior posted:

Wabbajack still a thing? Also, if it's exactly the same as Lexy's guide, some of the companion mods included in don't seem to be very good. Just stick to the INPCs and Indigo. Now, admittedly I'm not super well versed with INPCs and Indigo but everything I've seen regarding them seems to suggest that they both at least feel constant with Skyrim's lore and themes. Sofia tries too hard to be funny judging from what gameplay that I've seen of it. And Toccata looks very Waifu Batey.

Is it possible to install only certain mods from a Wabbajack list? The mod guide does look very well done outside of including a few not so great mods (Falskaar = not great), but I don't wanna install over 70+ GBs of files just so that Skyrim can be fun/-er, my computers running out of space right now, and I don't wanna uninstall a poo poo ton of crap on my pc right now at the moment, just for one game I'm not really super into outside of mods.

It's the exact list with no options for customization, if you know how to remake merged patches and stuff, you can go through and disable poo poo, but I'm running it with everything, I'll be the first to admit it, I love waifu bait mods.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Ive only used it for fo4 so far but its fairly easy to just disable poo poo you dont want after the install.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames

Turtlicious posted:

It's the exact list with no options for customization, if you know how to remake merged patches and stuff, you can go through and disable poo poo, but I'm running it with everything, I'll be the first to admit it, I love waifu bait mods.

Barnum Brown Shoes posted:

Ive only used it for fo4 so far but its fairly easy to just disable poo poo you dont want after the install.

To repeat myself, one of the problems for me is that it'll still take up space on my computer while installing, and right now my computer is low on space, and even if I did clear it up it will still end up being for a bunch of stuff I don't want and would end up needing to waste time uninstalling afterward, anyways. It seems that most of the GB space is due to the big graphics mods, I don't mind better graphics at all, but my PC is Medium rate and still sometimes lags in an Oblivion that only has a few minor graphics mods for it. I like Wabbajack's idea, but the lack of customization is an issue for me, and I would rather wait for it to add customization options, or just do a list that is far less big in size and contains less "crappy" mods. But, I'll look into it anyway to see if there are mod lists that aren't as HUGE as the LOTD that are worthy for when I get around to playing Skyrim again.

EDIT: Requires a Nexus Premium account? Nevermind.

TheNamedSavior fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Nov 24, 2019

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I know this is just me being weird, and I'm super glad stuff like Wabbajack is beginning to really take form for people who don't share my particular variety of brainworms, but...(whispers) I like installing modlists manually. (Using a mod manager, obviously. I'm not a barbarian.)

I think it's part that I like to have some idea of what's going on in a heavily modded game and I feel adrift if I'm just dealing with an inscrutable black box. And part of it is that I have pretty much just accepted that Skyrim is the gaming equivalent of that old car that car enthusiasts have in the garage that they just tinker with for years on end and maybe occasionally actually drive.

No one should emulate my example. No one.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I emulate it.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
I've been using Verdant for better grass in Skyrim Legendary Edition, but there's some bad clipping in the Hearthfire player house. I know there's a mod that tidies it up for the special edition - anyone know of a good equivalent for the non-SE?

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Does anyone know of any good low-level quest mods? I'm asking because I feel that most of the vanilla quests are really lovely and I feel I will probably be mostly focusing on mods whenever I get done with my Oblivion and Morrowind runs and go to Skyrim. I know Beyond Skyrim Bruma is apparently good and attempts to be NOT overly generic in terms of questing.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

TheNamedSavior posted:

Does anyone know of any good low-level quest mods? I'm asking because I feel that most of the vanilla quests are really lovely and I feel I will probably be mostly focusing on mods whenever I get done with my Oblivion and Morrowind runs and go to Skyrim. I know Beyond Skyrim Bruma is apparently good and attempts to be NOT overly generic in terms of questing.
Moon and Star, Clockwork, Project AHO and some of the Interesting NPCs quests

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

I picked the worst time to reinstall - I think the update screwed me. I'm sorry for this post.

Here's my mod list, through Vortex. I SSEEdit-cleaned all the masters, manually cleaned Dawnguard, with LOOT and Vortex showing everything being good and generally, everything was running great and looking beautiful. Leveled a no-weapons-mage on Expert (which was super rough early on!) to 19 over the past few weeks.

Booted it up this past weekend, saw Steam updated it (gently caress) and with no changes other than updating SKSE64, I'm now experiencing crashes inside ruins when swapping between Spell/Sanguine Rose and Spell/Torch.

All weekend I hosed around with this crash and now I'm grasping at straws. SSEEdit shows no errors on any mods. Papyrus logs end a solid minute before any crashes. I enabled SKSE dumps and installed a dump reader which doesn't give me much to go on because I don't have much experience tracking this stuff down. Dumpy-dump here.

I thought it was "Lights On" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/18277) or "Torches Cast Shadows" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/1369) since it kinda fits with what's going on when I crash, but disabling doesn't prevent the crashing.

Some posts online for "crash when switching weapons" are blaming SkyUI SE being in beta, but posts seem to indicate the crash is when using a bow and having arrows automatically equip/unequip.

I'm using "FEC - Frozen Electrocuted Combustion" (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/3532) which requires "Papyrus Extender SSE" 2.0 (https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/22854). At this point, I'm assuming that PESSE2 requires an update, as I played for a few dozen hours before the latest Skyrim update and didn't have any issues. The only other alternative to waiting for this update and seeing if it helps is to selectively start disabling mods one by one and wait for the crash. Which I guess is what I'll be exploring next.

For what it's worth, I'm having a great time revisiting Skyrim - bugs, crashes and all. Again, I'm sorry for this post. Uhh, I'll have a large #3 meal, extra ketchup, and a diet coke. Thanks.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

If you have any SKSE plugins, look there first. They usually need updates with new SKSE versions. Papyrus Extender SSE is definitely going to need an update (and if it's the one I'm looking at, there isn't one available yet).

You may have better luck rolling Skyrim (and SKSE) back to the previous version. https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/19658 is the guide I used to do it. You'll have to re-clean your masters if you do this.

Once you get it stable again, be sure to set it in Steam so that it only updates on launch (so never unless you force an update, because launching using SKSE doesn't trigger it).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I just reinstalled Skyrim SE on steam.

I don't see the workshop tab on my library screen for Skyrim SE...

Was this removed or am I just missing something right in front of me?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I just reinstalled Skyrim SE on steam.

I don't see the workshop tab on my library screen for Skyrim SE...

Was this removed or am I just missing something right in front of me?

Pretty sure they did remove workshop support in SE in favor of Bethesda.net.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Pylons posted:

Pretty sure they did remove workshop support in SE in favor of Bethesda.net.

Understood! Thank you friend.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

yeah there's a mod category on the main screen now and you just download mods in game now (probably dont do this unless you only want a handful of mods)

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Even if you only install the unofficial patches and a texture mod, it's easier to start with Mod Organizer, because it's impossible to stop modding Skyrim once you start.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Berke Negri posted:

yeah there's a mod category on the main screen now and you just download mods in game now (probably dont do this unless you only want a handful of mods)

Yeah generally try to avoid anything mod-related that Betheda has stuck its nose into directly and stay with third party stuff like Nexus, because it's Modern Bethesda and they cock and needlessly complicate everything up now. The only reason to get on Bethesda.net is if you need their proprietary SE Creation Kit for your own personal modding work.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Thank you everyone.

Okay so I will go through the conventional modding experience of get a mod organizer and load order optimizing them.

I liked the steam mod manager. I’m bad at mod management so it was way faster even if a lot of the content didn’t make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I've tried Nexus Mod Manager and Mod Organizer 2 and if the two, I recommend MO2.