Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I have no idea how people dead-eye hard maps in Pistol Whip. Some of the maps pretty much take the wind out of me in shooting gallery mode. I'm old.

Perfect Score runs no less.

Some people are just too good. XD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

https://twitter.com/id_aa_carmack/status/1196633985079791617?s=21

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Zaphod42 posted:

Boneworks is a game in Unity, it isn't an engine. Its just a small team.

Boneworks has built plenty of its own engine logic, and since apparently there's been collaboration between them and the valve team some people are convinced Valve is going to use the resulting engine for its own game. That's the argument to it being in Unity.

If they really are collaborating I think sharing behavioural logic is probably the limits, its not actual code, and I don't even know the extent to which that holds water.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

GlyphGryph posted:

Boneworks has built plenty of its own engine logic

Sorry to nitpick because this is turning into semantics, but that's not engine code, that's game logic. Maybe you could turn it into a system, there's tons of unity systems that you can buy or are free and you can install them as packages, like a library, but that's not really engine code. Its either reusable bits of game logic or its tools. If it was engine logic it... wouldn't be Unity.

Or you think boneworks has forked unity? I don't know about that.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Stormland's endgame has some real issues. After destroying Terminus my game kinda half-reset. So I still had all my equipment and upgrades but the missions were reset halfway. Any multipart missions had everything except the last step already done.

It was still 6 days from the next reset, so I tried setting my clock ahead by a week, and it worked! I got a full reset and I'm in the world that will be unlocked next week. If someone wanted to they could go through and figure out what the changes will be every week.

Personally, I'm underwhelmed by the weekly cycle. The changes to the world map are subtle, and it seems like the other changes are things like giving an enemy a different gun or making certain types of weapons more powerful.

Also, some of the available upgrades are basically game-breaking. The boost while gliding upgrade is really fun, but using it I was able to beat the entire Terminus section without any combat by just flying directly to the objectives. It took about five minutes to beat the entirety of Terminus like that. But even if I did the combat it wouldn't have been much longer, because with a fully upgraded body and weapons you're practically unstoppable, and with the visor you can see where every enemy is.

I still love the game, and will probably end up getting a lot of hours in co-op, but I'm gonna have to start experimenting with ways to make the game more challenging. I think I'm gonna stop using the visor and maybe not upgrade the weapons past level 2.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

Sorry to nitpick because this is turning into semantics, but that's not engine code, that's game logic. Maybe you could turn it into a system, there's tons of unity systems that you can buy or are free and you can install them as packages, like a library, but that's not really engine code. Its either reusable bits of game logic or its tools. If it was engine logic it... wouldn't be Unity.

Or you think boneworks has forked unity? I don't know about that.

You can have different engines. Audio engines, physics engines, etc. A game logic SDK that implements or enforces a common behavior independently of the actual input or rendering mechanisms is enough of a piece of infrastructure to be called an “engine”.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

You can have different engines. Audio engines, physics engines, etc. A game logic SDK that implements or enforces a common behavior independently of the actual input or rendering mechanisms is enough of a piece of infrastructure to be called an “engine”.

I disagree, I would never call an input component an engine, but like I said its semantics so w/e.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/jeditobiwan/status/1197276730253336576

this new metal gear really takes a turn

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK

I'm really sick of this meme, can we not?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Cicero posted:

Hope everyone's ready for the world's great portal gun-themed digital card game! In VR!

I would be extremely into this as long as it is not nearly as boring as Artifact.

Calipark
Feb 1, 2008

That's cool.

Skyarb posted:

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

Skyarb posted:

Looks like someone was taintrunned.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So with the Link Beta out, what's the best/longest cable people are using to test it out with?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

sigher posted:

So with the Link Beta out, what's the best/longest cable people are using to test it out with?

People are sticking cables in the end of the 16 floor cable matters active extender. People are getting like, over 30 feet that way.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Got in a cable so I could try link. It's a fiddly setup since some of my motherboard's USB3 ports didn't seem to work and of my multiple 3.0 extender cable only 1 worked, but eventually I got an okay setup with the combo of cables.

Once I did it didn't feel much different than my non-S Rift. Didn't feel like any worse tracking quality and display was perhaps even a little better. Godrays seemed to be improved. Comfort is about the same with the DAS. With a better cable setup I can't imagine wanting to fiddle with the old Rift over this so I'm gonna go ahead and sell mine. I'll definitely be buying the link cable from oculus when its available. This seems ideal for sims since the quest has a solid display and the cable issues are minimized. Given an option I'd rather play room scale games completely wireless so that may end up being how I use it (mostly quest native room scale games and sims/seated stuff on pc).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Nalin posted:

People are sticking cables in the end of the 16 floor cable matters active extender. People are getting like, over 30 feet that way.

Oh nice, I'll definitely pick one up then.

KTS
Jun 22, 2004

I wax my rocket every day!
The cheap cable I got to try out Oculus Link is a bit sketchy and I keep getting disconnects, I've ordered the shorter Anker cable and the active extender linked a bit earlier in the thread so hopefully that will work fine. Possibly I need a PC overhaul as well, still running my 4-5 year old system just with a 1660ti put in it. Upgrading to something that will support USB 3.1 Gen 2 is probably a good move

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

The cable I got seems to work (I get the green checkmark) but the Oculus app crashes whenever I try to launch Link on my Quest. Probably because I'm using AMD and below minimum spec, at that, but I thought it was worth a shot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
AMD isn't supported right now, i thought.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It isn't officially supported, but a bunch of people have reported it working for them.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Skyarb posted:

Skyrim, right?
Stopped it as soon as it went white. Nerds ruin everything.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is there a livestream to that HL:A reveal?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Looks like Index owners are getting HL:A for free:
https://twitter.com/ValveNewsNetwor/status/1197498722059456518?s=19

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I'm still considering an Index... maybe I should just get it already. Hm.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is there a livestream to that HL:A reveal?
I don't think Valve really does that any more, I'd just keep an eye on their Twitter and watch for a Steam store page to go live.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Fuck the cowboys. Unf. Fuck em hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9K0eJEmMEw

https://www.half-life.com/en/alyx

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

the trailer embed actually points to the artifact trailer lol

here's the actual trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2W0N3uKXmo

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

repiv posted:

lol
here's the twitter video for now hxxps://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1197572798937350144/vid/1280x720/tJ2pirma8V7m1vgj.mp4
edit: ninja

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
50 bux. Better be a couple of hours.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Malloc Voidstar posted:

lol
here's the twitter video for now hxxps://video.twimg.com/amplify_video/1197572798937350144/vid/1280x720/tJ2pirma8V7m1vgj.mp4
edit: ninja

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

repiv posted:

here's the actual trailer

Looks pretty solid. Lots of interactivity in the environment, some cool areas to fight in.

Definitely looks like they're going for the feel of a full half-life campaign, although I still wouldn't be surprised if it was shorter than HL2 by a lot, more like an episode probably.

There's not a lot of moving around in that video... so they could be going for a 1:1 standing experience. There's a couple points where it kinda looks like they could be walking around... we'll see how locomotion works.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

I'll almost certainly be buying into VR in the spring, is there any knowledge at all of an updated Index or Index competitor coming to market? Oculus Quest looks perfect except the frame rate and FOV are both quite low, and being Facebook doesn't help a lot, while the Index and controllers just seem a little... Jank, for $1000USD.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

quote:

Half-Life: Alyx supports a variety of play environments, locomotion methods, and input devices.

Okay, it supports standing and roomscale, you can teleport or you can free move. Nice.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Wheeee posted:

I'll almost certainly be buying into VR in the spring, is there any knowledge at all of an updated Index or Index competitor coming to market? Oculus Quest looks perfect except the frame rate and FOV are both quite low, and being Facebook doesn't help a lot, while the Index and controllers just seem a little... Jank, for $1000USD.

I don't think there's any new high end hardware coming soon, but the Rift S is going to be $350 ($50 off) for black friday if you want something to hold you over until the Index v2 or whatever.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That looks so loving good to me.

Malloc Voidstar
May 7, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

50 bux. Better be a couple of hours.
Allegedly free with an Index so you can lose $950 with that deal.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

The thing said it was added to the Index packages on November 20th. if Valve gives HL: Alyx to people who buy an Index from now on and not to people who bought it at launch with the defective sticks, people are going to flip their poo poo.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Enos Cabell posted:

That looks so loving good to me.

If the environments are as busy as shown with you having to scramble to find poo poo on shelves or cabinets to make it through the levels it could be real fun.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Hard to believe this was 6 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ChUFeWn1FI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

The thing said it was added to the Index packages on November 20th. if Valve gives HL: Alyx to people who buy an Index from now on and not to people who bought it at launch with the defective sticks, people are going to flip their poo poo.

All Index owners get it, even those who just bought the controllers to upgrade an existing Vive setup.