Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Haven't all the official translations already used Raftel?

Yes, including Stampede, where the eternal pose literally says “Laugh Tale” on it while the subtitles read “it’s an eternal post to Raftel!” which will probably result in some jojo-style screenshots of how blatantly off it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

CodfishCartographer posted:

Yes, including Stampede, where the eternal pose literally says “Laugh Tale” on it while the subtitles read “it’s an eternal post to Raftel!” which will probably result in some jojo-style screenshots of how blatantly off it appears.

I mean it's basically exactly like if you had a shirt that said "Born in the Big Apple" and someone was like "oh! he must be from New York!"

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

iirc on the one piece podcast they speculated that whoever got the subbing job was only given the audio which is why they went ahead and used the same name that's been used up until now

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

There's like a 50/50 chance that when Oda writes it in English in the manga it's going to be "Raftel" again.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I just... I don't want to call it Laugh Tale, goons. It sounds dumb and every man and his dog had been calling it Raftel since the dawn of creation.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I'm a Raftel man, myself

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Begemot posted:

Nah, Luffy's name is already a pun.

Didn’t Oda say this was an accident?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I just... I don't want to call it Laugh Tale, goons. It sounds dumb and every man and his dog had been calling it Raftel since the dawn of creation.

Stong agree. I'm never gonna say Quwrof Wrlccywrlfr either.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Laugh Tale is funnier and less serious which makes it perfect for the big important place everyone's trying to get to

Professorjuggalo
Oct 22, 2019

by Cyrano4747
odas word is law and law said laugh tale in the movie so.....

and honestly we're reading a comic about a rubber pirate man, I feel if it was always called laugh tale nobody would have batted an eye

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hope oda does a joke chapter one day, where everyone dies, and the lst page says op is on break for a month before he comes back and says oh that was just a fever dream.

... just cause i wanna see society destroy itself

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Laugh Tale is more sensible than "Shiliew", that's for sure.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oda: its both! ....what do you mean "english doesnt loving work that way"?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Oda: its both! ....what do you mean "english doesnt loving work that way"?

in a deep lore twist the language spoken in the one piece universe is actually akkadian, as it's the only other language i can think of other than japanese that does the "written one way, means one thing, pronounced multiple different ways while maintaining the same concept" thing

derra
Dec 29, 2012
Laugh Tale is a fitting name for the end of the world, named by a man born in Loguetown. I like it.

AfroGunsou
Dec 8, 2009

:yeah:
raft hell

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Laugh Tale and Dogtooth

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Lt. Lizard posted:

What if Luffys name is actually Laughy?

Laughy Taffy

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

CodfishCartographer posted:

For what its worth, in the dub they specifically pronounce it as Laugh Tale. Personally I think its a cool and fitting name.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I feel a new thread title is in order to commemorate it.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Asuron posted:

I feel a new thread title is in order to commemorate it.

“Discussing Laugh Tale at the Levely in Mary Geoise”

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Official translated names have been going off the rails recently

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Mary Geoise I can get. Laugh tale I don't like

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Mister Olympus posted:

in a deep lore twist the language spoken in the one piece universe is actually akkadian, as it's the only other language i can think of other than japanese that does the "written one way, means one thing, pronounced multiple different ways while maintaining the same concept" thing

Despite reading as much manga as I do, my complete lack of understanding of the Japanese language means this concept has always been trippy to me

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

tbp posted:

Despite reading as much manga as I do, my complete lack of understanding of the Japanese language means this concept has always been trippy to me

Eh, toe-mae-toe toe-mah-toe

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
pooping my pants at the idea of a place in one piece being named something silly, now to reread the big mom arc while taking a huge sip of metamucil,

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It sounds lame

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

it's bad because it's different than what I'm used to

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

It sounds almost the same, it's just the eh is now an ay.

Though I'm also of the mind that Oda didn't plan on Raftel being Laugh Tale when he started because Raftel is written differently than Laugh Tale would be.

It's odd that they had the characters pronounce it Laugh Tale in the dub though. They could've gotten away with it if they did a Gol D. Roger situation where the public knows it as Raftel but the true name is Laugh Tale.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Regardless, Levely is a hate crime.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chapter https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/one-piece-2/en/0/963/page/1

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bleck posted:

I want Oda to pause One Piece and give us ten years of Oden Adventures

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Mr. Mountain God survived.

:unsmith:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

who is that guy that looks like yassop?

e: nm its Rakuyo

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If it weren't for Orochi, Wano would be the perfect slice of life arc and that makes me hate him even more.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I can recognize pretty much everyone with Whitebeard, I'm just not 100% on if the girl is Whitey Bay or not. She seems too young but maybe she just aged really well.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Sub Harrison posted:

If it weren't for Orochi, Wano would be the perfect slice of life arc and that makes me hate him even more.

OP Flashbacks have the best characters :smith:

Oden was too good for this world.

(Cant get over his hairy shins)

VVV
Such a dreamboat rite

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Nov 22, 2019

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Young Vista :allears:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
this was not what I was expecting but :hellyeah:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Well, that's one hell of a job application.