Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So I'm still interested in Excalibur but I'm kind of waiting for things to jump off. Right now it's just... interesting, I guess.

Marauders is my 'if I only read one X-Book X-Book' because man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKrang
Jan 2, 2005
this town needs an enema

My first X-Men was this issue of X-Men classic.
Rereading it recently made me appreciate Claremont's knack for explaining everyone's powers in a way that ten-year-old me could understand. It's an annoying habit when reading a collection but for a kid with limited knowledge of the characters and no access to Wikipedia its cool to be able to pick a book up off the spinner rack at 7-11 and have it be newbie friendly and fairly self contained (granted this is a 2-parter, but it gives you all the info you need from the prior issue via flashback). Also, Doom and Arcade should team up more often.

Prior to ever actually reading any X-Men comics, the character bios in this game's manual were my only exposure the them. The game was trash but I remember obsessing over the manual which had info on all the characters, backstory on the Fall of the Mutants, and introduced me to the Watcher!

Roman Herbom
Aug 2, 2006
The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't
Marauders was really fun this week, loving Kitty and Emma. Maybe my favorite book of the line so far.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yep marauders is my top book. Very fun. Excalibur is keeping my interest still but I'm not sure how long. I love the characters, just not sure the plots will hold me.

Jim the Nickel
Mar 2, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I was gonna post about how my first X-Men comic was when I started reading the Academy X books my freshman year of college, but then I remembered it was actually when I randomly checked out a TPB of Austen's run from the library in high school.

I just thought all comics were like that at the time, it wasn't till years later (probably in this exact forum) that I realized how lovely it was.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Excalibur #2 has been read, and I'm still cool to it. Though I guess dragon Shogo was a neat touch. They've got one issue left to impress me.

Marauders #2 was good, but I'm finding that I'm actually more interested in the Red/White/Black Monarch politics than I am the more traditional "Mutants on a Boat" half of the story. :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Drunken pirate Kitty Kate Pryde is easily the best version of the character since probably Claremont was writing her.

Metalshark
Feb 4, 2013

The seagull is essential.
Emma and Kate are so powerful together. Taking Sebastian Shaw down a peg brings people together!

Dawgstar posted:

So I'm still interested in Excalibur but I'm kind of waiting for things to jump off. Right now it's just... interesting, I guess.

Yeah, this. I was hoping #2 would take off like Strikeforce #2 did, but hopefully #3 will ignite it, as I do like the last page a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Marauders was great, and I enjoyed drunken Kate! Excalibur I'm done with. It's seriously probably the characters I'm least interested in among all X-Men, and it's not grabbing me at all.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How many other seats had been hidden in the council besides the completely obvious Red Queen?

Edit: Also, was the Red Queen a thing in the Hellfire Club before?

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

Does anyone care about Jubilee? About Shogo? About Rogue being under some mysterious magical illness? I want to like Excalibur but come on, it’s just several tropes stapled together (mysterious illness, inconvenient child, kidnapped sibling)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

How many other seats had been hidden in the council besides the completely obvious Red Queen?

Edit: Also, was the Red Queen a thing in the Hellfire Club before?

Madelyne Pryor was the Red Queen when Shaw got un-deaded and made a new Hellfire Club in the mid 90s.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

Madelyne Pryor was the Red Queen when Shaw got un-deaded and made a new Hellfire Club in the mid 90s.

Oh god, that's loving hilarious. Was she wearing her Goblin Queen costume the entire time?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My first X-Men comics were when my pops brought home some issues of the Muir Island saga off the rack at the comics shop near the restaurant he ran, because I was sick. I remember most clearly, first, the Shadow King seducing Rogue in the shower, and second, thinking a line-up of characters all in their X-uniforms was actually the same character changing shape between panels.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
The "Madeline Pryor is the Red Queen of the Hellfire Club" stuff popped up in Fraction's X-Men run in 2008, not the mid-90s, and I don't think extended beyond an arc in that book.

I don't think I ever read the mid-90s stories where Shaw and Pryor hung out, but she was apparently his "Black Rook" in those stories.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 21, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I only read it on Wikipedia, I never read the stories. But it seems like whoever put that there confused 2 things.

A later revealed to be imposter Madelyne was in the Hellfire Club as the Black Rook in the mid 90s when Shaw came back. Her real identity is the Red Queen but it's not a Hellfire Club title at that time, she's an actual queen.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

My first X-Men book was #210 which has the team on it going 'C'mon, mess with us - make our day!' or something similar and you'd think that would mean there's an epic fight in there but not really. Instead it's a lot of lead-up to the Mutant Massacre so little Dawgstar picked quite the time to jump on.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

My first was uncanny 176 with Cyclops on his honeymoon fighting the giant octopus.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Transistor Rhythm posted:

My first was uncanny 176 with Cyclops on his honeymoon fighting the giant octopus.

Hey there, fellow Uncanny X-Men #176 bro! :hfive:

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Do I need to be reading all the X-lines to get what is happening in X-Men right now? I read House and Power of X and liked it, decided to read X-Men and skip the rest because I can't really justify buying more books right now, and I open the latest issue and it says after the death of Professor X (see X-Factor number 1). I get having a cohesive universe and all but are the titles going to be self contained or is there going to be a lot of jumping between the titles?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Excalibur's picking up but still pretty meh.

Constantly drunk Kitty Pryde is good tho. Also Pyro's terrible tattoo choices.

Madkal posted:

Do I need to be reading all the X-lines to get what is happening in X-Men right now? I read House and Power of X and liked it, decided to read X-Men and skip the rest because I can't really justify buying more books right now, and I open the latest issue and it says after the death of Professor X (see X-Factor number 1). I get having a cohesive universe and all but are the titles going to be self contained or is there going to be a lot of jumping between the titles?

Thats all you need to know really. vOv

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Madkal posted:

You probably don't need any other books, but they are bouncing off one another some, so you'll miss some interesting crossover stuff, like Kitty showing up in Excalibur #2, but that hasn't been enough to make me enthused abut the weaker X-books, like Excalibur or X-Force. Read as much or as little as you want to, if you think you're missing something, come back here and someone will fill in the gaps.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah, so far (and we're in early yet) the Dawn of X books are in what I consider the good level of shared universe where they'll address things like "we can't ask Illyana about this problem, she's off on trial in space" and if you want to read New Mutants for the full story, great. If you don't, just know Illyana is off in space on trial so she won't be popping in to give opinions about Fallen Angels for now.

This in contrast to the 1990s style where one issue of the book you're reading is "LET'S TALK ABOUT X BABY" part 3 of 14, and then the next issue of the same book is LTAXB part 9 of 14 and the third issue is an AFTERMATH issue the expectation is that you bought all 14-25 comics to get a linear story about the characters you're buying the books for.

As the X-Books stand right now, if you want to know the Story of Kate Pryde, Red Queen, you can get all of it in a linear fashion in Marauders. Xavier was shot in X-Force and it'll get referenced in other books, but I assume the story will resolve itself in X-Force 1-4 or whatever.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Besides Captain Kate showing up in X-Force #1 and Excalibur #2, It’s mostly just X-Men #2 referencing other books off handedly. Xavier being dead, and Doug being in space.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I do kind of wish to see the reaction of somebody who hadn't been reading Marauders and then all of a sudden here's Captain Kate who may or may not have knuckle tats.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dawgstar posted:

I do kind of wish to see the reaction of somebody who hadn't been reading Marauders and then all of a sudden here's Captain Kate who may or may not have knuckle tats.

Why is she a drunk now?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Do you think the real world reason Iceman refrained from getting tattoos since artists would go crazy drawing backwards tattoos when he's in ice form?

I was also a little annoyed that the tattoo artists were cool with Kate sitting there drinking while getting tattooed. Everywhere I've gotten work done makes you sign that you haven't drank in eight hours and they usually caution about drinking for a bit afterward. Pretty sketchy that this place was cool with it. Hope they got their hep shots. :ohdear:

And god, next week Fallen Angels, New Mutants, and X-Force are all out.

Codependent Poster posted:

Why is she a drunk now?
Honestly, that every X-Man isn't a drunk or drug addict based on the horrible trauma they're constantly dealing with is a damned miracle. But at least in this case, she was dealing with finding out Xavier was murdered, plus she has the issue with being unable to enter paradise. Also paradise isn't actually paradise.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So I'm back on X-Men, having jumped off when Bendis took over. I know Kate went to space for a while, but this seems like a whole different personality for her. I'm half expecting the other characters to ask her what's really going on and there's some trauma that she's covering up. Besides the tattoos being tries-too-hard tattoos, hasn't she always had a certain connection with her faith? Tattoos and Judaism don't mix, last I checked. Seems like a drastic thing for her to throw away.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

I'm reading it mainly as a reaction to the gate thing. loving everyone and their moms (and more than a few mass murderers) are getting passage to paradise and when she goes to follow her friends and family the gates slam shut on her face. The implication of it is bothering her so much that she can't stand actually staying on the island even though nobody would stop her.

Might as well go get shitfaced and reign as a queen of Hellfire

I'm guessing that Storm is gonna confront her at some point soon.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

I'm guessing that Storm is gonna confront her at some point soon.

She probably should have done it before Kate permanently marked up her body. (I have 8 tattoos myself, so it's not the idea that she gets one, just to be clear.)

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

IUG posted:

She probably should have done it before Kate permanently marked up her body. (I have 8 tattoos myself, so it's not the idea that she gets one, just to be clear.)

I was gonna make a joke about her just killing herself and respawn but I wouldn't be surprised if they inexplicably crawled out of the eggs with the tattoos.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

Laughing Zealot posted:

I was gonna make a joke about her just killing herself and respawn but I wouldn't be surprised if they inexplicably crawled out of the eggs with the tattoos.

It's totally explicable. You've got Proteus right there altering reality to make sure the person who comes out of the egg is the same one who died. Given the batshit crazy stuff we've seen Proteus do over the years putting some ink on Kate's fingers is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

jng2058 posted:

It's totally explicable. You've got Proteus right there altering reality to make sure the person who comes out of the egg is the same one who died. Given the batshit crazy stuff we've seen Proteus do over the years putting some ink on Kate's fingers is super easy, barely an inconvenience.

It would be a great story if he misspelled poo poo after bringing her back.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

jng2058 posted:

Comedy answer: The next time she phases the ink falls right out onto the ground.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

IUG posted:

Comedy answer: The next time she phases the ink falls right out onto the ground.

You could make a decent argument for that exact thing happening if she didn't concentrate on it. Presumably she only phases her clothes with her because she makes a conscious effort to bring them, just like she does when she brings another person or whatever she's carrying with her. Ergo, if she doesn't think to also phase her new tat, there actually would be a puddle of ink left on the floor or the wall she phases through next. :shrug:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Synthbuttrange posted:

Excalibur's picking up but still pretty meh.

Constantly drunk Kitty Pryde is good tho. Also Pyro's terrible tattoo choices.

Thats all you need to know really. vOv

It's Kate.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

Why is she a drunk now?

Because she's a pirate/red queen of the Hellfire Club. That's not something you do sober.

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Is the Lord Imperial position in the Hellfire hierarchy something that's been a thing before?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, but it's quite a bit more recent than the club itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

jng2058 posted:

Presumably she only phases her clothes with her because she makes a conscious effort to bring them, just like she does when she brings another person or whatever she's carrying with her.
Nah, that's unstable molecules.