Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishin
Dec 31, 2008

~the animatronic spirit of
so many forgotten waves
https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1197010561231245312?s=20
https://twitter.com/maki_itoh/status/1197034423801135104?s=20
Itoh is good at twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

good because she's like 6.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Renee owns because she gives no fucks and her job means WWE is paying for her husband's health insurance while he does deathmatches for their biggest competition

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So is Renee employed by WWE or FOX at this point?

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
WWE

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

MJeff posted:

So is Renee employed by WWE or FOX at this point?

Most of the people on Backstage are employees of WWE. That's why people are confused by Punk joining.

She gets two paychecks - one by Fox for backstage, and the other by WWE for things like "Watch Along" and the "Pre-Show/Kickoff" shows.

If WWE fires her, she still can do Backstage, as long as FOX thinks it's still a show worth having.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

She is employed by both. I told the above poster to post the details

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Mox having insurance on WWE's dime after telling them "im gonna just maybe not wrestle for a while" and then rocketing towards their competitor will forever be the greatest gently caress You, even greater than anything CM Punk ever did

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/WWEAsuka/status/1197246594556411905?s=20

In which Asuka says that her arms, legs & back are covered in bedbug bites she got from her flight from Europe to America. Good to see the WWE looking after their employ...sorry, independent contractors.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Most of the people on Backstage are employees of WWE. That's why people are confused by Punk joining.

She gets two paychecks - one by Fox for backstage, and the other by WWE for things like "Watch Along" and the "Pre-Show/Kickoff" shows.

If WWE fires her, she still can do Backstage, as long as FOX thinks it's still a show worth having.

Thanks, cavauro.

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES
Renee has used "ghetto" as an insult and dressed as a Native American for Halloween. She is probably a bad person.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Hopkins FBI posted:

Renee has used "ghetto" as an insult and dressed as a Native American for Halloween. She is probably a bad person.

Her husband thought it was a cool idea to smash dinner plates over people's heads. These are not the most thoughtful people.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

DLC Inc posted:

Mox having insurance on WWE's dime after telling them "im gonna just maybe not wrestle for a while" and then rocketing towards their competitor will forever be the greatest gently caress You, even greater than anything CM Punk ever did

this is true but mox is cool and cm punk is big baby

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Yep. So what?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B4y1suQl698/?utm_source=ig_embed

I love you, Batista.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

https://twitter.com/TNADixie/status/1197188652192927750?s=19

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Alaois posted:

okay so now i need to ask

Tim Sweeney or David Pajo?

Pajo. He’s got a new album if you’re inclined to listen.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

When Dixie Carter, of all people, is successfully dunking on you on Twitter, perhaps it's time to rethink some of your life choices.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

When Dixie Carter, of all people, is successfully dunking on you on Twitter, perhaps it's time to rethink some of your life choices.

Its been a great week for unexpected dunk delivery. Even if I do suspect Dixie saw how much attention Tony Khan got for his dunk on Orton and wanted some of that herself.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Unless I missed it, I don't think this got brought up in this thread (maybe it did in the AEW thread, I dunno), but it was easy to miss unless someone told you about it or you were looking at his replies: What does everyone thing of the latest chapter in the "what is Cody's real name?" saga?

Yesterday, with his trademark filings being in the wrestling news cycle the last few days, some dude who says he argued with Cody in the past about this noticed that the filings say "Cody Runnels" even though Cody says he changed his real name to "Cody Runnels Rhodes" as a teenager. That has been the foundation of his "I can legally be 'Cody Rhodes' whenever I want as a wrestler, WWE has no ownership of the name; I just choose not to" arguments, but this threw a monkey wrench in it, especially since nobody had found public records either way before:

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1196808119822802944
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1196809152594661377

I get why he's sensitive about this. If he's not able to be a "Rhodes" as a wrestler, I can see why it would be a raw nerve. And maybe there's something to this that we're missing. But his explanations as for why there WAS briefly a dispute with WWE over his name have always been confusing...and then there was this (augmented with the second tweet in a reply to someone else):

https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1196809998862618625
https://twitter.com/CodyRhodes/status/1196815649617653760

Look, the fan's intent is probably trolling, even if it's not something you can't ask without sounding like a troll, but that's a legit screenshot of the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office website. It's not even from an aggregator like Justia's trademarks sub-site. But...he not only said that the screenshot was of "a Google search," he also said that he filed for the trademarks through an LLC even though they're clearly assigned to "Cody Runnels." That in spite of this, which I've confirmed is from a real document on a local official records site (dude didn't want to spread around their home address or tell people a way they could find it):

https://twitter.com/DanDocument/status/1196932101662236672

Maybe there's an alternate explanation that's complicated or embarrassing or something. Maybe he's lying, and it's very easy to see the situation that way. But FFS, as someone who has seemingly made a legitimate effort to be as honest as he can with the fans as often as he can, how does he not at least have a better story? The dude who was asking him does sound trollish, but it's legitimate question, and I can't find anything from him suggesting that he's a Russo fan.

I honestly do get WHY Cody would elect to lie if he's really been unable to secure the Rhodes name. I really do. But if he's going to, then he really needs to get a lot better at it.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

whatever someone says their name is, that's their name, unless they are trying to trick you maliciously. end of story

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
my name is jimmy hoffa

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
This is a dumb as hell thing to care even a little bit about.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

yeah why even stir poo poo with the guy over this.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

i agree. Don't stir poo poo with me standing up for people who want to change their name. I don't back down.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Who gives a flying gently caress?

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

I personally am named John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt, and quite honestly I'm tired of all these people claiming my name is their name too.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

whatever someone says their name is, that's their name, unless they are trying to trick you maliciously. end of story
Oh, I don't quibble with that one bit. He's Cody Rhodes to me, and it's every bit his right to want to be called Cody Rhodes.

But the legal status of the Cody Rhodes name has been a wrestling news story on and off for a few years, along with Cody's attempts to get the trademarks for the stuff that Dusty wished he had trademarked himself at the time of their creation. At the same time, he's built up a reputation as someone who's pretty drat honest to the fans by wrestling standards. But he's also given this whole backstory of a legal name change when he was a teenager and so on. And while I can totally see why it would be an emotional topic for him. Still, saying "pfft, those are Google results and I always use an LLC" when confronted with a screenshot of the actual trademark filings by "Cody Runnels" makes him look *super* carny when he's done a good job avoiding that. He would have been MUCH better off not replying, especially when the thread in question started with a screenshot in the first place.

The issue isn't what his preferred name and legal name are. It's how he's handled questions about them when he should have just said nothing. If it's that raw a nerve, just avoid it in public. I genuinely like Cody, and I think it's a misstep on his part.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

based on his past tweets, he claims his last name is legally runnels rhodes. on registrations like these when you have dual last names its not uncommon for the sake of brevity to only put one down when its not a hyphenated name. i myself have two last names being cuban but i only use the paternal name when signing documents/registering for things that don't require my full long rear end name. signing off something as Cody Runnels doesn't disprove or disqualify his name legally being listed as Cody Garrett Runnels Rhodes.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

i think its a weird thing to get hung up about and people actually looking up documents to discern his name are also weird

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
well, david bixenspan, if that is your real name, maybe cody's llc is named Cody Runnels did you think of that

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Cavauro posted:

i agree. Don't stir poo poo with me standing up for people who want to change their name. I don't back down.
Are you saying I am? Or you mean the dude who tweeted at him?

I agree that there's no way to ask about it without, at a minimum, looking like a huge rear end in a top hat. But Cody would really be best off not touching it if he's going to pretend that the dude didn't share a screenshot of the actual trademark filing on the actual federal trademark search site.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

david i was talking to the other poster who mentioned stirring some big shits. i'm not sure who was stirring it but no one can with me. i hate to quote a chud but since he is no longer with us, i'll just say: Well, I won't back down. No, I won't back down. You can stand me up at the gates of hell but I won't back down.

Crapple!
Nov 1, 2019

All I meant was why badger Cody with this stuff about his name? It just seems like a pointlessly assholish thing to do.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I don't know if cody will back down or not.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Cavauro posted:

I'm still mad at you for being a dick about my friend killing himself, but this is 100% correct.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Crapple! posted:

All I meant was why badger Cody with this stuff about his name? It just seems like a pointlessly assholish thing to do.

the guy at the end of the twitter thread also makes remarks of them putting dave meltzer on payroll to be talked up so its already very clearly someone trolling/posting in bad faith

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

STONE COLD 64 posted:

the guy at the end of the twitter thread also makes remarks of them putting dave meltzer on payroll to be talked up so its already very clearly someone trolling/posting in bad faith

cue bix posting "ah wow, i didn't see that".

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

given that their signatures are fancy scribbles its entirely possible its just something whoever typed up the document did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

WatermelonGun posted:

my name is jimmy hoffa

hey, Jimmy!

How's life?