Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Just finished that Gyimah interview on LBC, holy loving poo poo it's almost 11 solid minutes of him getting absolutely skewered over and over again, you love to see it.

e: 271 brutal owns were administered in this video that I'm reposting for the new page:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPtUNeesgp8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPtUNeesgp8
A legit good caller on LBC loving destroys Gyimah on their child care policy.
tbh I'm tired of the "where will the money come from" for these types of projects. Every pound spent on high quality free at point of use preschool pays back £2.10 in increased tax take from those children over the space of 40 years and saves £10.80 in reduced benefits use, criminality, or negative health outcomes, it pays for itself multiple times over. And that's excluding that all the teachers you hire will be spending money in local economies. Just issue bonds or print money or borrow on the sovereign debt market, you'll get your money back and more. It's like investing in the NHS, it's a no brainer. The idea that you need to raise a tax today or Brexit bonuses to pay for it is nonsense.

Of course lib dems can never admit that so gently caress them too.

TACD posted:

Is this a death threat
Yes but not from me.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Lmao the Tories have bought the domain Labourmanifesto.co.uk and made it into an attack page

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

kustomkarkommando posted:

Lmao the Tories have bought the domain Labourmanifesto.co.uk and made it into an attack page

Isn't that illegal?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Can't wait for someone to confirm that the Tories breached election law in three years time with no consequences.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

RLB on stage introducing Corbs.

Let's do this.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

tbh I'm tired of the "where will the money come from" for these types of projects. Every pound spent on high quality free at point of use preschool pays back £2.10 in increased tax take from those children over the space of 40 years and saves £10.80 in reduced benefits use, criminality, or negative health outcomes, it pays for itself multiple times over. And that's excluding that all the teachers you hire will be spending money in local economies. Just issue bonds or print money or borrow on the sovereign debt market, you'll get your money back and more. It's like investing in the NHS, it's a no brainer. The idea that you need to raise a tax today or Brexit bonuses to pay for it is nonsense.

You're absolutely right and why Labour's manifesto is going to be loving fantastic. That a fib dem gets skewered by their own flawed economics and lies being used against them live on air is a joy to watch.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

They seem unshakeably convinced that this sort of crap is effective campaign strategy, but I get the impression it's actively counter-productive. It just makes people think they're juvenile twats.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

peanut- posted:

They seem unshakeably convinced that this sort of crap is effective campaign strategy, but I get the impression it's actively counter-productive. It just makes people think they're juvenile twats.

I've contacted the electoral commission.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

Corbyn announcing manifesto this morning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACkGYpM6gxA

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

peanut- posted:

What matters is how high that page gets on search engines because that name will get clicks.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

sebzilla posted:

RLB on stage introducing Corbs.

Let's do this.

My MP. :cool:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

stev posted:

Can't wait for someone to confirm that the Tories breached election law in three years time with no consequences.

Perhaps Labour can pledge to give election law enforcement some real teeth :getin:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Real manifesto just launched.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

This manifesto launch is great. 😁

edit: I kinda wish we'd gotten this Corbyn at the debate

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Necrothatcher posted:

This manifesto launch is great. 😁

edit: I kinda wish we'd gotten this Corbyn at the debate

He really does pronounce some stuff weirdly, though.

Steer-oids?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I sent them my water meters rant in the manifesto suggestions, and while they didn't use it word for word and I'm sure I'm not the only one to suggest it:

quote:

Whether it is the trillions of litres of water lost through leakages, barriers to renewable energy connecting to the grid or the billions of pounds of bill-payers’ money being siphoned off in dividends to wealthy shareholders, Tory privatisation of our utilities has been a disaster for both our planet and our wallets. We will put people and planet before profit by bringing our energy and water systems into democratic public ownership. In public hands, energy and water will be treated as rights rather than commodities, with any surplus reinvested or used to reduce bills.

quote:

Uphold basic rights to education, health and clean water by establishing a new Unit for Public Services within DfID, which will include increasing direct budgetary support to governments so they can build sustainable services for their citizens.

Either way this is a very good thing.

sebzilla posted:

Steer-oids?
It's a subtle antisemitic dig against their discoverer, Carl Djerassi. :tinfoil:

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

sebzilla posted:

Steer-oids?

These are not the roids you're looking for.

Has anyone photoshopped Corbyn as whichever Star Wars old dude I am referencing?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Some cool stuff in the foreign policy section

A New Internationalism posted:

Establish a judge-led inquiry into our country’s alleged complicity in rendition and torture, and the operation of secret courts.
Issue a formal apology for the Jallianwala Bagh massacre, and hold a public review into Britain’s role in the Amritsar massacre.
Allow the people of the Chagos Islands and their descendants the right to return to the lands from which they should never have been removed.
Uphold the human rights of the people of West Papua and recognise the rights of the people of Western Sahara.
Immediately suspend the sale of arms to Saudi Arabia for use in Yemen and to Israel for arms used in violation of the human rights of Palestinian civilians, and conduct a root-and-branch reform of our arms exports regime so ministers can never again turn a blind eye to British-made weapons being used to target innocent civilians.
Reform the international rules-based order to secure justice and accountability for breaches of human rights and international law, such as the bombing of hospitals in Syria, the illegal blockade of the Gaza Strip, the use of rape as a weapon of war against the Rohingya community in Myanmar and the indiscriminate bombardment of civilians in Yemen.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

quote:

We will act immediately to end the hereditary principle in the House of Lords, and work to abolish the House of Lords in favour of Labour’s preferred option of an elected Senate of the Nations and Regions, but we also believe that the people must be central to historic political changes.

:getin:

All the stuff about benefits and disability is also great, real life changing stuff - the whole thing is. Exciting times!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Braggart posted:

These are not the roids you're looking for.

Has anyone photoshopped Corbyn as whichever Star Wars old dude I am referencing?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

sebzilla posted:

Steer-oids?

Overcompensating for saying Epst-ine instead of Epst-een by saying St-ee-roids instead of st-e-roids.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Only time for a quick flick-through this morning, but everything I'm seeing so far in the manifesto is good stuff.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Migration posted:

We will end indefinite detention, review the alternatives to the inhumane conditions of detention centres, and close Yarl’s Wood and Brook House, from which immediate savings would contribute towards a fund of £20 million to support the survivors of modern slavery, people trafficking and domestic violence. We will ensure justice for migrant domestic workers and restore the overseas domestic workers’ visa.

If we remain in the EU, freedom of movement would continue. If we leave, it will be subject to negotiations, but we recognise the social and economic benefits that free movement has brought both in terms of EU citizens here and UK citizens abroad – and we will seek to protect those rights.

In accordance with our values and domestic laws, we will uphold the right to a family life for British, EU and non-EU residents alike. We will end the deportation of family members of people entitled to be here and end the minimum income requirements which separate families.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Thank you, Star Wars nerd, for aiding me. My various nerderies lie in different fields :D

Edit: You were my only hope :v:

Braggart fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Nov 21, 2019

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nqc2ftj1F94

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Boos for LK, not very edifying but quite funny and well handled by Corbyn.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Overcompensating for saying Epst-ine instead of Epst-een by saying St-ee-roids instead of st-e-roids.

Nah, he just does this. The way he says issues infuriates me.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Quality loving pledges, at least the ones posted here. The election starts in earnest.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

peanut- posted:

Yeah there are a few people at work who I think were leaning tory who now aren't voting because feel they feel like the Tories are treating them like mugs.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

My client is full of people who “can’t vote Labour because XXXX” where XXXX is the latest issue.

You fuckers are dyed in the wool Tories anyway, don’t give me that loving excuse.

plus a bunch of you live in Islington so good luck with that, tosses.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Strong thread from Ava Vidal:

https://twitter.com/thetwerkinggirl/status/1197437468297113600?s=19

Camrath
Mar 19, 2004

The UKMT Fudge Baron

peanut- posted:

I met Prince Andrew once. In 20 seconds which didn't involve much more than a handshake and "what do you do then?" he managed to give the impression of being an absolutely unspeakable twat. He radiates whatever the antithesis of charisma is like a forcefield.

In a previous life I was head of security at the bank the royal family uses. Had fairly regular visits from them, including Prince Andrew. I was given a very thorough briefing, including that not only was no wine to be served at lunch but that also no alcohol should be even visible to him. Make of that what you will.

Also had lunch with his protection detail- from glancing around that buzzfeed link I’m trying to figure out which of them was which.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Quality loving pledges, at least the ones posted here. The election starts in earnest.

Yes, I'm loving these excerpts posted so far. I keep nodding in angry approval :hai:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/1197478657834528769?s=20

Good thread with lots of smaller policies that are still good

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I always felt trying to brand a strong anti racism campaigner like Corbyn as a racist was on the nose swiftboating but to put it on a T-Shirt where he's protesting Apartheid is just amazingly transparent. Feels like it should be a tipping point to where people go "Ah, this was all just mental bollocks."

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Yeah, everyone should read this. It's really good.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Did anyone ever meet salmond? I always thought he came across as a slimy fucker.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

Nah, he just does this. The way he says issues infuriates me.
Pronunciation of organic chemicals is a giant :can: anyway, and one that's sometimes used as a shibboleth for where you learned org chem.

Whether you say aminomethane or monomethylamine and the half dozen ways you can pronounce each will get various people's backs up.

:h:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jippa posted:

Did anyone ever meet salmond? I always thought he came across as a slimy fucker.

I met him at a charity do once.

He was a oval office.