Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat
BOOM, Schiff!

He is correct, though, I do take umbrage at the republican's conspiracy theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

first question to Hill, as expected - Schiff says she reminds him of Vindman

"a tweet here, an op-ed there" here a lie there a lie everywhere a big lie? :v:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Schiff: "No seriously, Republicans are dumb as hell."

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Fiona Hill is badass so far

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Can you really de-legitimize an office that someone like Trump is capable of winning?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hill honestly better at providing an overview of how russian disinfo works - cover all bases, make sure whoever wins you'll get what you want - than anyone i've heard

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I thought today was going to be relatively boring after Sondland's shitshow, but this is going swimmingly so far.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
PLEASE try to go after this woman, Devin. I want to see her eviscerate you on live television.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

loving hell her down-to-earth explanations and analogies are genius. People will understand and support her.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Hill brings up Skripal attack, says "Russia has a particular interest in putting Ukraine in a bad vise" (I think. Bad something. Very bad.)

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Hill is really good at this

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1197536368735506433

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/goodyk/status/1197535327700865027

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

the funny thing is that in this testimony she'll say her working class accent held her back in the UK

i can't distinguish posh from working class accents at all lol nor can most americans unless it's overtly a cockney stereotype

Seriously, like I'm guessing it's "anything that's not Recieved Pronounciation = working class" but I have no idea. I barely know what a non-cockney working-class accent (like Scouse) sounds like and that's only because of British sitcoms getting shown on PBS.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

lmao... Nunes just getting up as soon as Goldman starts

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

"They still need us" because Zelenskyy's seeking a meeting with Putin?

And now Schiff hands over to the Competent Counsel (stay tuned for the Craptastic Counsel, assuming Nunes even yields to him today)

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Wylie posted:

The only real difference between British and American southern accents is speed- if you slow down British, they sound Southern, and if you speed up Southerners, they sound English.

It mostly depends on the immigration patterns. IIRC a lot of near-London cockney Brits settled in the south, and due to comparative isolation the accent stuck.

In the Northern colonies, there were a lot of Germans and other languages mixing in, so the accent become more neutralized. That's also why people in Pennsylvania tends to have some weird verbal tics and sentence structures, because of the German influence. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I studied historical linguistics.

This ends the linguistics derail.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

refleks posted:

lmao... Nunes just getting up as soon as Goldman starts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGqs4b5RiH0

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

Good lord, both of these people sound so reliable.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

SchrodingersCat posted:

It mostly depends on the immigration patterns. IIRC a lot of near-London cockney Brits settled in the south, and due to comparative isolation the accent stuck.

In the Northern colonies, there were a lot of Germans and other languages mixing in, so the accent become more neutralized. That's also why people in Pennsylvania tends to have some weird verbal tics and sentence structures, because of the German influence. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, it's been a long time since I studied historical linguistics.

This ends the linguistics derail.

they sent the London poor and convicts to the south in general, yeah

Northern has a ton of Dutch in the area

tecnocrat
Oct 5, 2003
Struggling to keep his sanity.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

I thought they sent the convicts to Australia HEYOOOOOOO

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

So they were on the terrace, next to open glass doors leading into the restaurant, which means that as Sondland held the phone away from his ear because he didn't know how to use the volume button, everyone on the street and in the building heard Trump. Got it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Uncleanly Cleric posted:

Good lord, both of these people sound so reliable.

it's been pretty remarkable going from Taylor, Kent, Vindman, and Yovanovitch > Volker and Sondland > Hale, Cooper, Holmes, and Hill

all the career foreign service and DoD/State people have come off like sterling examples of who you'd hope gets those jobs: well-qualified, unpretentious folks that can put their egos aside to serve.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

In the late 20th century, they finally started doing some decent studies into African American Vernacular English, and found that most of the defining traits of the dialect could be traced back to whichever part of Africa the lineage came from. This is both interesting and a good way to shut up racists.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
NOBODY WINCES AT MY PHONE CALLSE, THEY ALL EXPERIERNCE IMMEDIATE PLEASURE WHEN I CALL. FAKE NEWS.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

It is never going to stop being funny to hear "loves your rear end" said very seriously in Congressional proceedings, and I look forward to hearing how NPR describes the phrase today. :allears:

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

ewiley posted:

NOBODY WINCES AT MY PHONE CALLSE, THEY ALL EXPERIERNCE IMMEDIATE PLEASURE WHEN I CALL. FAKE NEWS.

My voice is like tiny hands massaging your ears.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

tecnocrat posted:

I thought they sent the convicts to Australia HEYOOOOOOO

Australia really wasnt colonized until after American indepdendence and the British needed a new spot to send the dregs of their society

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Trump has a "very distinctive personality" :lol:

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1197538967274606592

lol

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Well this is pretty damning.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Blah it sounds like I missed some good stuff from Hill. I got distracted with office talk! Boo on me

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Dunite posted:

My voice is like tiny hands massaging your ears.

President Trump's lobes are so small he gets oo-mox for free.

Edit: WHOA. Hill refused to comment on the call b/t Trump and Zelenskyy due to "executive privilege" except to say it was "surprising"!

zonohedron fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Nov 21, 2019

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Hill invoking executive privilege?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

well she can't speak on the other calls that Trump has most likely hidden in the same classified server

when the questioner says "So have you ever heard a call like that one?" and she says "uuhhhhhh i think executive privilege" that's a bad sign for trump lol

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Did Meadows just plop down behind Hill?

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

It's so Republicans can't claim she's just volunteering everything and is sensitive to privileged meetings, Counsel recovers perfectly by asking just abotu the one 'declassified' call.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

ewiley posted:

https://twitter.com/TasneemN/status/1197539963199541248?s=20

Meatlong Football
Feb 11, 2008

She refused to compare the relative insanity of the call, perhaps bringing other insane calls we don't already know about into question.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

That needs to be a .gif