Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Party Plane Jones posted:

generally no, but if you buy a new avatar you can just append the gang tag within [img] brackets at the end of the text box

use the avatar preview when you buy one, it really helps

what if you have a really long title that abuts the character limit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire
https://twitter.com/AverageFather/status/1197537515370139648?s=20

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lol nicole wallace: "I worked in the West Wing and Hill is the kind of person everyone would have respected and most people would fear"

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

I'm the cspan 3 caller advocating for Trump's records. Just to you know, prove he didn't do anything wrong

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

what if you have a really long title that abuts the character limit

if you're running against the character limit you'd probably need to buy a $5 gift cert then PM one of the forum mods; as we don't have a character limit when doing mod title changes

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Let's imagine impeachment is passed and it goes to the Senate. Who decides what witnesses are called? I'd think Dems want to see people like Bolton in order to bolster the case, but that seems highly unlikely if Republicans are running the trial

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

oxsnard posted:

Let's imagine impeachment is passed and it goes to the Senate. Who decides what witnesses are called? I'd think Dems want to see people like Bolton in order to bolster the case, but that seems highly unlikely if Republicans are running the trial

Diamond and Silk

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

This is honestly my house right now as well.

https://twitter.com/jess_mc/status/1197550079982354432?s=21

Edit: Correction. The recess was my “oh thank god, time to get some housework done” warning.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

House is prosecution, Trump's personal lawyers will be defense. Like a real trial, both can call witnesses. Rulings related to relevance/etc will come from Roberts

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

eke out posted:

House is prosecution, Trump's personal lawyers will be defense. Like a real trial, both can call witnesses. Rulings related to relevance/etc will come from Roberts

Thanks, this is outstanding. So why shouldn't articles of impeachment be drafted today?

Uncleanly Cleric
Oct 17, 2005

oxsnard posted:

Thanks, this is outstanding. So why shouldn't articles of impeachment be drafted today?

They're gathering as much evidence as they can. They need this to be as damaging as possible so there's no ambiguity in the public's eye.

The more Nunes flounders, the better the evidence looks.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
why the gently caress were multiple news people yammering about 'well what if the house decides to just censure the president instead'? Has anyone floated that as anything but R wishful thinking?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
btw Roberts is a ghoul but he's probably more likely than any republican to be able to look more than a few months down the road. I'm guessing he's smart enough to know Trump's legacy will be unkind so he probably wouldn't be much help to GOP obstruction in the trial. In fact he could be the driving force to compel witnesses who have ignored subpoenas in the past

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oxsnard posted:

because they want to get all the evidence in the public record to lay out the strongest possible public case for impeachment

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

oxsnard posted:

There is an important court ruling on Monday as to whether Dan McGahn, the head White House lawyer, has to comply with his subpoena. They want his testimony and John Bolton’s too (Bolton may be waiting on a court decision too)

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

ewiley posted:

That is some awesome avatar material right there

Not to mention a what is Holmes holding in his hand Photoshop competition

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

evilweasel posted:

because they want to get all the evidence in the public record to lay out the strongest possible public case for impeachment

Yeah I get that but it seems to me that we're already past that point. Dragging up more witnesses who are not stonewalling would be more likely to cause public fatigue in the matter. I'm no political strategist by any stretch of course, I'm just thinking out loud. And as someone who is intently focused and interested in it, I'm starting to get worn out

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

evilweasel posted:

Also, Republicans and their witnesses keep helping with that, and we shouldn't spurn such an appeal to the spirit of bipartisanship in these polarized times.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Slowpoke! posted:

There is an important court ruling on Monday as to whether Dan McGahn, the head White House lawyer, has to comply with his subpoena. They want his testimony and John Bolton’s too (Bolton may be waiting on a court decision too)

Thanks, this is a helpful observation

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

oxsnard posted:

btw Roberts is a ghoul but he's probably more likely than any republican to be able to look more than a few months down the road. I'm guessing he's smart enough to know Trump's legacy will be unkind so he probably wouldn't be much help to GOP obstruction in the trial. In fact he could be the driving force to compel witnesses who have ignored subpoenas in the past

I am not too worried about Roberts presiding. I think his opinions are abhorrent, but when it comes to procedure I think he will be neutral. Regardless of who the President is, Roberts cares more about standard conservative ideals, and he can do his business via jurisprudence. I mean, Obama was in office when the Citizens United case was decided.

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

ManBoyChef posted:

is there any way to get that nothing matters gang tag still?

Buddy they don’t even let me gently caress the gang tags

ManBoyChef
Aug 1, 2019

Deadbeat Dad

Party Plane Jones posted:

blood or more than $5 to a charity
here's last years drive:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906

thanks very much.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I think it's still a possibility that despite what he says, McConnell just holds a dismissal vote and kills the whole thing.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

oxsnard posted:

Because they aren't idiots, the point of this process is to drag as much of President Crimes behavior into the public consciousness so that they can paint the Republicans the craven lickspittle traitors to the country that they are so that when the Senate predictably votes to acquit the guiltiest person in history they can maximize the political damage caused to them outside the 30% of the public who have bought 100% into the Faux News extended Qverse.

Skex fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 21, 2019

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

oxsnard posted:

Yeah I get that but it seems to me that we're already past that point. Dragging up more witnesses who are not stonewalling would be more likely to cause public fatigue in the matter. I'm no political strategist by any stretch of course, I'm just thinking out loud. And as someone who is intently focused and interested in it, I'm starting to get worn out

People like you are a tiny minority. Most people only pay attention casually, if at all. To get thorough to them you need saturation coverage for a long time.

Plus you getting burned out means nothing because you probably already hate Trump as much as the law allows. You're not the audience.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

oxsnard posted:

It's a long, arduous process, but as long as all of these hearings continue to be productive with new information, they'll have them.

They know the Senate won't convict, but they want to make this as politically damaging as possible for Senate Republicans when they vote to acquit.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

SchrodingersCat posted:

I am not too worried about Roberts presiding. I think his opinions are abhorrent, but when it comes to procedure I think he will be neutral. Regardless of who the President is, Roberts cares more about standard conservative ideals, and he can do his business via jurisprudence. I mean, Obama was in office when the Citizens United case was decided.

I actually think Roberts presiding is excellent all things considered. Hard for the GOP to push a narrative on bias, and like you said Roberts knows the current structure benefits the Supreme Court, he'd like to avoid a public conversation that they wield entirely too much power

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

oxsnard posted:

we're literally one day after the key witness. the plan is to go as quickly as possible, it's just a question of how many more days/week that is.

my view is that at a minimum they should go until after the ruling on Monday to determine if Bolton will show up and testify, and then they're basically done.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

mcmagic posted:

I think it's still a possibility that despite what he says, McConnell just holds a dismissal vote and kills the whole thing.

Things would go absolutely nuclear if he did that because that's an unquestionable abdication of duty, whereas acquiting him is merely implied.

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

oxsnard posted:

oxsnard posted:

Thanks, this is a helpful observation

The R strategy is to drag this out by ignoring subpoenas and forcing prolonged court battles. The D strategy is to condense this as much as possible to avoid another Russia Collusion investigation, which in part failed because the obstruction dragged it out for 2+ years. What you feel is exactly what everyone feels and what we hope to avoid. This will be decided by public opinion after all.

As for McGahn and Bolton, if you were hoping for a silver bullet, it will come from one of them. There is reason to hold out for their testimony.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

mcmagic posted:

everything McConnell has said suggests that at least four GOP senators have told him they won't back such a vote (likely because either they think he's guilty as sin like Romney, or because politically they need to be seen to have taken the charges seriously before voting to acquit, like Collins/Gardener).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

oxsnard posted:

I actually think Roberts presiding is excellent all things considered. Hard for the GOP to push a narrative on bias, and like you said Roberts knows the current structure benefits the Supreme Court, he'd like to avoid a public conversation that they wield entirely too much power

this is correct, roberts hates trump and is walking a knife edge to avoid someone being elected that will pack the Court and remove his majority for the next generation.

he has every incentive to be actually impartial, because being impartial is a no-lose strategy for him and his institutional interests regardless of whether Trump wins or loses.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
No for real I missed this morning, please tell me no actual democratic leader is talking about some bizarre cave where they decide to push for censure instead

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

Is this a recent quote from Starr? Seems to go completely counter to what he said earlier on Fox today?

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1197534774182785027

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Slowpoke! posted:

Do you happen to know if this ruling can be appealed? They have been stalling on everything and I figure they'd want to take this to the supreme court if possible.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I'm on a Southwest flight right now and I'd say 30% of passengers are watching the news/hearings on their laptops and phones. There are more people watching this than I saw watching a world series game on a flight into Houston.

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Slowpoke! posted:

As for McGahn and Bolton, if you were hoping for a silver bullet, it will come from one of them. There is reason to hold out for their testimony.

I'm not a nothing matters person, but this doesn't strike me as likely. No matter what comes out of this, Republicans will say there's no evidence and there shouldn't even be a trial (even if a few GOP Senators don't vote that way). Unless there are entirely new crimes uncovered by their testimony, McGahn and Bolton will be treated just like the people who've already testified.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Spun Dog posted:

Do you happen to know if this ruling can be appealed? They have been stalling on everything and I figure they'd want to take this to the supreme court if possible.

yes

sexpig by night posted:

No for real I missed this morning, please tell me no actual democratic leader is talking about some bizarre cave where they decide to push for censure instead

no whatever this is it's certainly not happening, i have no idea what you're talking about

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Spun Dog posted:

it can be appealed. what matters is if Bolton is willing to testify solely based on the district court decision because ultimately Democrats cannot coerce anyone into testifying in the timeframe they need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

evilweasel posted:

everything McConnell has said suggests that at least four GOP senators have told him they won't back such a vote (likely because either they think he's guilty as sin like Romney, or because politically they need to be seen to have taken the charges seriously before voting to acquit, like Collins/Gardener).

Cornyn has said this explicitly: GOP senator: Republicans don't have votes to dismiss impeachment articles

quote:

Sen. John Cornyn (R-Texas), an adviser to Senate Republican leadership, says there are not enough votes in the Senate to immediately dismiss any articles of impeachment passed by the House against President Trump.

Republicans have discussed the possibility of quickly dismissing charges against Trump, which would just require 51 votes. But Cornyn said that would be a difficult hurdle for the GOP, which holds 53 seats in the Senate.

“There’s some people talking about trying to stop the bill, dismiss charges basically as soon as they get over here. I think that’s not going to happen. That would require 51 votes,” Cornyn told reporters Wednesday.

“I think it would be hard to find 51 votes to cut the case off before the evidence is presented,” he added.