Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
You say that like it's not working as intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
I still want to know where you’re all living that your neighbors have passwordless wifi. I don’t think I’ve seen that kind of thing for years, since all the isps started handing out routers with preset wpa2 passwords

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Every consumer router that I'm aware of has a default wpa psk as well.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
For some reason I have like 25 visible aps in my historic house (small lots) and about a quarter of them are unencrypted

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof
I just checked out of curiosity and found at least one unsecured wifi network available from a neighbor from inside my house without trying real hard. if you have a device that automatically connects to poo poo like that, please reconsider using that device

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I'm sure public unprotected wifi networks are super uncommon, but then again a lot of TVs are being bought!

I'm tempted to drive around with an unprotected wifi hotspot and see how many things connect to it...

Thermopyle fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 20, 2019

DaTroof
Nov 16, 2000

CC LIMERICK CONTEST GRAND CHAMPION
There once was a poster named Troof
Who was getting quite long in the toof

Thermopyle posted:

I'm sure they're public unprotected wifi networks are super uncommon, but then again a lot of TVs are being bought!

I'm tempted to drive around with an unprotected wifi hotspot and see how many things connect to it...

My city's buses have unsecured wifi now. It's cool that they offer the service, but it's not so cool that your TV might use it to share poo poo you didn't intend to share just because a bus drove past your house.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I wonder if it's possible to open the case and snip the antenna

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I would guess they are chip antennas mounted on the PCB (cheaper). Of course you could always cut the traces with a knife.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If you're going to that much effort you might as well just use a monitor and receiver instead of a TV

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

My mac-using coworker had a weird problem the other day where git got all kinds of hosed up.

Turns out it was caused by a mac OS update.

And turns out that she had the same problem exactly a year ago to the day, also caused by a mac OS update.

The only difference is that last year it took Apple 2 days to roll out a bugfix update, this time it took them only half a day.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

just enclose your tv in a faraday cage like any reasonable adult normally does

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Just don't own a TV. Your living room gets bigger and anything worth watching is streamable anyway. Want a big screen? Pull the laptop closer. Want to watch with your friends? Just don't have friends.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

i like to stream things on my tv

for this i use an actual computer connected to a networkless tv via an hdmi cable

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

i like to stream things on my tv

for this i use an actual computer connected to a networkless tv via an hdmi cable

I wonder if I would be even able to buy a dumb TV (networkless at least) once the one I have kicks the bucket. Do they sell them anymore?

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Ola posted:

Just don't own a TV. Your living room gets bigger and anything worth watching is streamable anyway. Want a big screen? Pull the laptop closer. Want to watch with your friends? Just don't have friends.

Buy a projector instead of a TV and make friends by being the cool guy with a home cinema.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Volguus posted:

I wonder if I would be even able to buy a dumb TV (networkless at least) once the one I have kicks the bucket. Do they sell them anymore?

Yes, they're usually "signage" models.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

what kind of post is this? is it a "I came across this code and the person who wrote it wasn't deliberately writing bad/contrived code, wtf" or is it "php does something other than what you'd expect from reading the code, wtf"?

It looks like it should print "j hit 17" but I can't be arsed to find an online sandbox and type all that in off the image to check

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Hammerite posted:

what kind of post is this? is it a "I came across this code and the person who wrote it wasn't deliberately writing bad/contrived code, wtf" or is it "php does something other than what you'd expect from reading the code, wtf"?

It looks like it should print "j hit 17" but I can't be arsed to find an online sandbox and type all that in off the image to check

My thought is the latter and I can't wait to hear what the weird behaviour is because I bet it's hilariously absurd

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
The Aristocrats!

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Volguus posted:

Aldi used to sell very large, very cheap, dumb TVs that simply turn on without a fanfare, and have 4-5 HDMI ports to run your Chromecast + whatever. No OS at all. The speakers are poo poo, so you'll need your own soundbar or something.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

My thought is the latter and I can't wait to hear what the weird behaviour is because I bet it's hilariously absurd

I just ran it through this sandbox, and yeah, "j hit 17".
code:
<?php
        //Enter your code here, enjoy!
for ($i = 0, $j = 50; $i< 100; $i++) {
    while ($j--) {
        if ($j == 17) goto end;
    }
}
echo "i = $i";
end: 
    echo "j hit 17";

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

What's the weird thing? I've only written a tiny bit of php for assignments. I guess $j-- is truthy or not-falsy and gets evaluated until the goto statement runs, so it does what it says it'll do?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Just looks like code written by someone with a very bad understanding of language semantics, probably not able to follow linear execution of code and keep track of initialization and modification order of multiple variables. Or it may be somewhat thoughtful, written to explore how things work, "what happens if you put a while loop inside a for loop".

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

nielsm posted:

Just looks like code written by someone with a very bad understanding of language semantics, probably not able to follow linear execution of code and keep track of initialization and modification order of multiple variables. Or it may be somewhat thoughtful, written to explore how things work, "what happens if you put a while loop inside a for loop".

I mean yeah it looks like something written by a teenager just progressing past echo "breasts" //hehe but unless it's Facebook production code or something, is that so horrible? I like the comment in the sandbox quote. Just enter your code there and enjoy!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

That’s an example from the php docs on the goto statement.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

skull mask mcgee posted:

That’s an example from the php docs on the goto statement.

lol ok, this is the context that was needed to make it funny

https://www.php.net/manual/en/control-structures.goto.php

there's a simple and pedagogically justifiable example involving a goto that skips a statement, then that bizarre loop example, then another weirdly overcomplicated example demonstrating that php's goto doesn't allow you to jump into a loop.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.
I assume it's just to clarify you can goto out of different nested loop statements (but not the other way).

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

Jade Ear Joe

SupSuper posted:

I assume it's just to clarify you can goto out of different nested loop statements (but not the other way).

is there any risk that if you showed an example of jumping out of a single loop statement, people would be confused about whether they can jump out of nested ones?

regardless, the nested loop they came up with is bizarre. Why write all that obtuse nonsense instead of something that's simpler and looks like loops you might actually write in real-world imperative code?

The whole page is poorly thought-out. It has that XKCD comic of a velociraptor attacking someone who writes a goto statement, but it doesn't explain to the reader why they might want to avoid using goto. It just includes that comic for a laff. But most of the page is apparently for someone who is so green to programming that they need it explained to them what goto is and how it works. If someone needs that explained to them, then they probably need it explained to them why they shouldn't use goto, too, and the comic is going to be a non sequitur to them.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Hammerite posted:

is there any risk that if you showed an example of jumping out of a single loop statement, people would be confused about whether they can jump out of nested ones?

It's PHP, where break 0; and break 1; mean the same thing. Anything can randomly not work.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Volguus posted:

:wtf: That's insane. Now, I presume you can give it network access and then remove it (change the password of your wifi or unplug the network cable). Will the remote still work after that?

Haven't tried. I think there are other features that won't work. Vizio got caught last year with the TVs regularly taking screenshots and sending them home to Mom.

moostaffa
Apr 2, 2008

People always ask me about Toad, It's fantastic. Let me tell you about Toad. I do very well with Toad. I love Toad. No one loves Toad more than me, BELIEVE ME. Toad loves me. I have the best Toad.
The Incredible Disaster of Python 3

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

That article is a disaster.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
"Python 3 is a disaster because git status doesn't play nicely with my ascii display terminal from 1979" is a take all right.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
"Things are broken because they don't support specific use cases on serial lines" is also a take.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Incredible Disaster of "The Incredible Disaster of Python 3"

Though, the guy does have a point...a lot of the standard library is trashy. It's too big and there's not enough developers to maintain them. Also a lot of stuff was accepted into the standard library that shouldn't have been

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Corroded batteries included

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

The Incredible Disaster of "The Incredible Disaster of Python 3"

Though, the guy does have a point...a lot of the standard library is trashy. It's too big and there's not enough developers to maintain them. Also a lot of stuff was accepted into the standard library that shouldn't have been

I suspect kicking stuff out of the library would not have smoothed the 2 -> 3 migration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

OddObserver posted:

I suspect kicking stuff out of the library would not have smoothed the 2 -> 3 migration.

Definitely