Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I always forget how much stuff has happened in this series until I look up something on the wiki. Completely forgot about Erich and the fact that Amos is actually Timmy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Collateral posted:

Would have been more interesting to see the aftermath of the system that lost its gate, but maybe they are saving that one.

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding the disappearance of Medina station; I feel like Saba is too rad a character to just get killed off with such little fanfare or a POV.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

plainswalker75 posted:

I'm still waiting for the other shoe to drop regarding the disappearance of Medina station; I feel like Saba is too rad a character to just get killed off with such little fanfare or a POV.

Sounds like a potential novella subject

Squack McQuack
Nov 20, 2013

by Modern Video Games

plainswalker75 posted:

Oh poo poo, I forgot the entire slowzone got supernova’d.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Interestingly Thomas Jane has just posted on twitter that he's heading off to start work on The Expanse Season 5 today.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

That makes me think that he will show back up in Book 9. It occurred to me last night that since the Investigator was part of the protomolecule culture contained in the sample that was used to create all those Laconia experiments. So anything made from that, like Amos, could be a new way for him to manifest. So the scene at the end of Book 4 could be a misdirection.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Could also be for flashbacks, or a split of the story arc like season one and two did with Leviathan Wakes.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Auberon's out today. I probably won't get a chance to read it until this weekend, but I've really enjoyed all of the novellas so far.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lester Shy posted:

Auberon's out today. I probably won't get a chance to read it until this weekend, but I've really enjoyed all of the novellas so far.

drat, I'm still reading Tiamet's Wrath, I was hoping to finish that before Auberon came out.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I really enjoyed it, and I'm left wondering how much of the finale was a setup from go. It seems like it was almost too perfect a trap, you know?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I didn't read it that way.

They tried their move other directions first and it says his helper spent 3 days searching for the evidence. I think it just felt a little that way because the economy of space in a novella means everything we see has to be important to a relatively small story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

ATP_Power posted:

Could also be for flashbacks, or a split of the story arc like season one and two did with Leviathan Wakes.

I'm thinking they might just really like Thomas Jane and decided to not destroy Protomiller in the TV version of the plot. Though that could throw a huge wrench into the Laconia stuff, since you'd think Protomiller could take over their technology the way he controlled the station and the stuff on Ilus. At least he'd be able to shut down the shipyard.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

PriorMarcus posted:

Interestingly Thomas Jane has just posted on twitter that he's heading off to start work on The Expanse Season 5 today.

Defiance Industries posted:

That makes me think that he will show back up in Book 9. It occurred to me last night that since the Investigator was part of the protomolecule culture contained in the sample that was used to create all those Laconia experiments. So anything made from that, like Amos, could be a new way for him to manifest. So the scene at the end of Book 4 could be a misdirection.

Turns out he's directing an episode of season 5. So maybe the detective wont actually return?

https://twitter.com/TheExpanseWR/status/1195413519828566017

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Season 4 trailer:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFdzpVt5rbk

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

My guess is that they are going to change out Amos from Holden as the guy that has the duelling pistols on the bridge resembling a human tongue.

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Defiance Industries posted:

I really enjoyed it, and I'm left wondering how much of the finale was a setup from go. It seems like it was almost too perfect a trap, you know?

Got around to this this morning. I enjoyed it as well. One of the better ones IMO. Scratched a nice itch for me. I did have trouble remembering who Erich was. When they drop the name instead of "Old Man" I was sure I was supposed to know who that was but couldn't place him at the time.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just finished book 8. I liked it a lot more than PR, the victories were more satisfying and the losses were more bittersweet.

Cortazar's death was really something. Do we think that Duarte has taken on some properties of the 'goths'? If I read it right, he basically patted Cortazar's molecules out of the way, similar to how the shadows scooped clean holes through matter in the slow-zone attack.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Did anyone else find the climax to book 4 kind of inscrutable and abrupt?

What was the point of Elvi taking Miller through the portal? Was it even malevolent? Was it actually leftovers from whatever killed off the ring-making society? What caused all the other automatons to turn on Miller? How did going through stop or correct or accomplish anything? Are there clues or are you expected not to get any of this?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Did anyone else find the climax to book 4 kind of inscrutable and abrupt?

What was the point of Elvi taking Miller through the portal? Was it even malevolent? Was it actually leftovers from whatever killed off the ring-making society? What caused all the other automatons to turn on Miller? How did going through stop or correct or accomplish anything? Are there clues or are you expected not to get any of this?

So I'm going to respond as if you haven't read any further than Book 4.

1) It wasn't a portal, it was a literal sphere of unreality that confounded the senses when looked at by humans, and literally was invisible to all the ring-builder tech, including The Investigator.

2) It was absolutely leftover from whatever killed the ring-builders. None of the artifacts waking up on Ilus could see it, and it basically erased any ring-builder tech that touched it. Malevolent? Maybe?

3) In its attempts to refine the subroutine known as "The Investigator" the giant AI that controls the Sol Ring accidentally made it too similar to Miller, which caused it to act in an altruistic manner towards the minds trapped in the Ring as well as the humans who were being negatively affected by The Investigator flipping all the switches of all the artifacts. The other automatons were the Ring AI trying to stop it from erasing its programming.

4) Entering the sphere erased The Investigator, which being a subroutine of the Ring also erased the portion of the Ring that was causing it to "reach out". Doing so moved the Ring into a more dormant phase that also stopped the suffering of the human minds inside the Ring.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm afraid to say I didn't pick up on that. That's, quite nice actually. Thanks.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I think that's by far the most confusing protomolecule-related event in the series and I'm interested to see how they make it work for TV. Or any of the wacky stuff from the end of book 4 for that matter.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
The entire thing with thinking of "the protomolecule" as a ridiculously sophisticated AI running millions of subroutines, one of which is The Investigator, is actually something someone in the TVIV thread said after watching Season 3. It's not something I thought of myself when reading the books, but it helped me go back and understand WTF was going on with Proto-Miller and why he was only able to go rogue right at the end.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
The Investigator interludes are more or less the inner monologue of a genetic algorithm, and I love it.

Between that and Elvi describing something as a "Dawkinsian good move," I'm like 90% sure that the authors had recently read/re-read The Blind Watchmaker, a great book that deserves a less embarrassing author.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Just finished reading Tiamat's Wrath and Dang, the rule of cool on this one. A whole mess of new people and a few tragic ends as well as surprise returns. Is Duarte basically a weird God now?
Is the ninth book still planned to be the end of the series? They've got their work cut out for them.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

frogge posted:

Just finished reading Tiamat's Wrath and Dang, the rule of cool on this one. A whole mess of new people and a few tragic ends as well as surprise returns. Is Duarte basically a weird God now?
Is the ninth book still planned to be the end of the series? They've got their work cut out for them.

yeah, 9 is the last one.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Hasn't the entire 8 book series (so far), plus short stories, plus them helping adapt the tv series all released like in the same amount of time as the wait for the last Game of Thrones book?

It's amazing how much having a creative duo probably helps speed things up. It's why the guys behind Clone High are so prolific as well. Letting yourself down via failing a deadline is different than lettering your creative partner down.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

jeeves posted:

Hasn't the entire 8 book series (so far), plus short stories, plus them helping adapt the tv series all released like in the same amount of time as the wait for the last Game of Thrones book?

It's amazing how much having a creative duo probably helps speed things up. It's why the guys behind Clone High are so prolific as well. Letting yourself down via failing a deadline is different than lettering your creative partner down.

I think so. Or close to it: Leviathan Wakes was published in 2011, so was Dance of Dragons iirc.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m really impressed with the consistent pace, yeah. Without sacrificing quality, even

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m really impressed with the consistent pace, yeah. Without sacrificing quality, even

They've have slowed down a bit. Had they kept with the original pace, book 8 would have come out last December, and we'd be getting Book 9 in a few weeks. Not that I'm complaining.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Ainsley McTree posted:

Excuse me, Nemesis Games counts as sacrificing quality. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They quit working for GRRM, GRRM quits making books. Coincidence?

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

jeeves posted:

Yeah it's kinda nice to get into a show, slam through it, find out there's books it's based on and then read all of them and not have such a long wait between them that I'd lose interest in the mean-time. I feel like the heat death of the universe will come sooner than some of the next books in series I'm reading so it's really cool that they're able to churn out content and quality at a good clip. That said- streaming and the internet really did a number our collective patience for new content, didn't it?

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

PeterWeller posted:

They've have slowed down a bit. Had they kept with the original pace, book 8 would have come out last December, and we'd be getting Book 9 in a few weeks. Not that I'm complaining.

The delay on the last book was on the publisher's side, not the authors'. It does look like the last book is taking a bit longer (due sometime next year), but I can't blame them for wanting to stick the landing.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Toast Museum posted:

The delay on the last book was on the publisher's side, not the authors'. It does look like the last book is taking a bit longer (due sometime next year), but I can't blame them for wanting to stick the landing.

Oh right on. And yeah, I don't have any problem with them taking some time to get the finale right.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

The most hosed up thing is that Daniel Abraham has also published like seven non-Expanse novels since 2011.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm going to miss the Expanse once they close out the series. It's been a hell of a journey.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

CLAM DOWN posted:

I'm going to miss the Expanse once they close out the series. It's been a hell of a journey.

I bet they'll keep doing novellas for a little while (unless they've explicitly said they won't, I haven't been following)

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

I bet they keep it going in some form or another, whether that's writing more mainline novels or handing it off to someone else. It's a huge universe you can use for pretty much any sci-fi story you want to tell, and probably as big a cash cow as you can find in the genre these days.

Edit: Just finished Auberon. It was okay. Strange Dogs is still the best novella IMO.

Lester Shy fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 27, 2019

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They could also do more with the TV series, too. Maybe they can give Nemesis Games the Captain Ashford rewrite service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Ainsley McTree posted:

I bet they'll keep doing novellas for a little while (unless they've explicitly said they won't, I haven't been following)

No, they've said there will only be 2 novellas and book 9, and that's it.

They also said the release order. There will be 1 novella before book 9's release, and 1 novella after book 9 comes out. Sandwiched by novellas.

The last novella IIRC is gonna be packaged with the published physical collection of novellas.