Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

So, last night I caught up to this elk (elk #2 of the game, that is. Also eye-shot #2 of the game! :v: ) and killed it after seriously wounding one of its forelegs with an arrow. I thankfully got another fine fur from it (I thought it would only be regular as it has a couple of holes, so I'm happy!), however I'm now unable to move at all, if I attempt to carry all its meat. So what I'm wondering is, will there actually be any benefit to me sacrificing 50-100lbs of elk meat, compared to just sacrificing one piece? :D

Should have hauled the carcass (or just the meat) to camp ;) butchering big stuff where you kill it is bothersome, unless you are super strong or have a pack animal you pretty much have to leave a big chunk of meat behind. I would rather drag the carcass to a permanent or temporary camp so I can work it properly (takes effort and a long time to skin an elk, butcher it, clean and tan the hide and prepare the meat so it's nice to have shelter, fire, tools or whatever nearby)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Should have hauled the carcass (or just the meat) to camp ;) butchering big stuff where you kill it is bothersome, unless you are super strong or have a pack animal you pretty much have to leave a big chunk of meat behind. I would rather drag the carcass to a permanent or temporary camp so I can work it properly (takes effort and a long time to skin an elk, butcher it, clean and tan the hide and prepare the meat so it's nice to have shelter, fire, tools or whatever nearby)

I don't have a camp, yet. :( I was just trying to find a spot, before I noticed the elk! Also, is it not possible to drop the meat and drag that, then? Never tried, to be honest. I suppose I could push it, but that would get old fast! :v: Shame you can't build a travios, though

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

I don't have a camp, yet. :( I was just trying to find a spot, before I noticed the elk! Also, is it not possible to drop the meat and drag that, then? Never tried, to be honest. I suppose I could push it, but that would get old fast! :v: Shame you can't build a travios, though

Yeah you can haul (with the [M]ove command if memory serves me right) anything that is on the ground, unless it's far too heavy like multiple tree trunks, but you can surely haul much more than you can carry in your backpack or wherever it is that you're stuffing multiple weapons and 100 rocks.

I think travois/sleds are in the development roadmap as something they want to put in game soon-ish :)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Yeah you can haul (with the [M]ove command if memory serves me right) anything that is on the ground, unless it's far too heavy like multiple tree trunks, but you can surely haul much more than you can carry in your backpack or wherever it is that you're stuffing multiple weapons and 100 rocks.

I think travois/sleds are in the development roadmap as something they want to put in game soon-ish :)

Ah, cool! Especially good to hear about the sleds, too.

By the way (sorry about all the questions, lately), do you know if I can cut pelts in half? Since according to the wiki I only actually need 10lb of fur for a part of my kota; so if I can cut my second elk fur (sadly it lost its 'fine' status, during the tanning process) into two pieces, then I could theoretically use it for two parts of the cover.

EDIT: Guys, I uh, think my mass-sacrifice of elk meat worked :stare:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Nov 8, 2019

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Major Isoor posted:

Ah, cool! Especially good to hear about the sleds, too.

By the way (sorry about all the questions, lately), do you know if I can cut pelts in half? Since according to the wiki I only actually need 10lb of fur for a part of my kota; so if I can cut my second elk fur (sadly it lost its 'fine' status, during the tanning process) into two pieces, then I could theoretically use it for two parts of the cover.

EDIT: Guys, I uh, think my mass-sacrifice of elk meat worked :stare:

Dudeeeeeeeee stop instakilling elks. I'm so jealous. What distance are you shooting them from? I usually only manage to get like around 10-15 tiles from them, any closer and they spook and flee

No you can't cut them in half (but now you can tie togheter / shorten ropes though! And have to do it to avoid wasting huge amounts, eg. 15 feet when you only need 3 - pay attention, I wasted all my 15ft cords for smoking stacks of stuff when I could have done it all with just a couple cords properly shortened), I believe the game will just "use" what is needed and leave you with a half-condition, half-weight (or whatever is left over) fur that you can use for other things, or another section of kota I guess.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Dudeeeeeeeee stop instakilling elks. I'm so jealous. What distance are you shooting them from? I usually only manage to get like around 10-15 tiles from them, any closer and they spook and flee

No you can't cut them in half (but now you can tie togheter / shorten ropes though! And have to do it to avoid wasting huge amounts, eg. 15 feet when you only need 3 - pay attention, I wasted all my 15ft cords for smoking stacks of stuff when I could have done it all with just a couple cords properly shortened), I believe the game will just "use" what is needed and leave you with a half-condition, half-weight (or whatever is left over) fur that you can use for other things, or another section of kota I guess.

Hah! Well if it makes you feel any better, most of the meat has been squandered! As soon as the spring snowmelt hit, most of the meat in my cellar went bad...so now I've only got a small store of meat left, and no animals seem to be nearby. :(

Also, for some reason it doesn't actually split the fur when making a kota segment; it just uses it all. You can deconstruct it for a full refund, though. So now I've made a lot of elk fur clothing to use or trade, then used the remaining 10lbs of each fur for the kota

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Sorry for the double-post; I'm just curious though, do herds of animals tend to linger in the same area? Since while wandering around for food I stumbled upon a very large lake with a herd of reindeer on the southern end. I shot and killed one (while being completely exhausted and hungry! I actually passed-out earlier and they found me) but the rest legged it north, while the wounded one led me away to the south-west. I've taken it home and I'm currently tanning its fine fur, however I'm wondering about whether returning to that same lake will be fruitful or not. I've got plenty of food now (for the moment, at least... I can only roast it, after all) however I could always do with more furs, as well as more roasted cuts to cash-in for arrows.

Also, the arrow-wound to my abdomen has finally healed - huzzah! Now I bet I'll have another long-lasting wound inflicted upon me :D On that topic, my kill-count is currently nine. Three Njerpez raiders and six vagabonds. Not nearly enough Njerps for my liking, although that number will increase soon enough, if I have my way. I think once I finish my kota and smoking hut (and then get a bunch of meat smoking, ready for my return) I'll get a punt to sail along the Black Stream (where I live) down into the sea, as I live near the estuary. Then I'll sail across the little cove/bay to Njerp territory, make a shelter and conduct some raids on their travelling hunters and raiders. Assuming I survive, I'll then bring back the loot and hopefully have a few Njerp village locations marked on my map, for the next trip...

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I don't actually know but I can tell you that with regards to migration, some tiles get more action because of the way geography funnels animals through certain areas (land bridges, fords, ect.) Outside of that I don't think herds will revisit the same area unless it's a situation where they try to pathfind through that area, get scared, then try to go back again. So for example if you scare off a herd trying to cross a land bridges then take a nap, don't be surprised if you get woken up in 20 minute by the same herd (or group of predators) trying their luck again

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Wait a minute - there are fords?! Or do you play with mods? I'm certain I've never seen a ford before in this game, although I guess if it just shows up as a regular river in the world map, that would explain why. Fair point though...I might have to see if I can find a ford nearby, then build a fence trap on my side of it.
(Alternatively/additionally, if I live between two rivers with the sea to my east, how likely would it be that animals would travel east towards the sea, from the west? Since I might eventually build a fence-trap along that flank)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

probably just means shallow areas in rivers you can ford across, not Fjords.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

probably just means shallow areas in rivers you can ford across, not Fjords.

Oh yeah, sorry that's what I mean. Like, I'm sure I've seen little fjords here and there along the coast, although I don't think I've ever seen part of a river that isn't either a regular river, or rapids. drat, I've been missing out! (Or they're just simply rare occurrences)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Nov 11, 2019

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

They're pretty common and once you become aware of them you'll start noticing a ton of animals around them, because not only does everything cross there, but if you're close enough it'll interact (so you get deers bunching up running from wolves and all sorts of other interesting behavior). Awesome places to integrate into trap fences, although make sure you're thorough as animals will travel right along the shore sometimes instead of approaching the ford from the woods.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

dylguy90 posted:

They're pretty common and once you become aware of them you'll start noticing a ton of animals around them, because not only does everything cross there, but if you're close enough it'll interact (so you get deers bunching up running from wolves and all sorts of other interesting behavior). Awesome places to integrate into trap fences, although make sure you're thorough as animals will travel right along the shore sometimes instead of approaching the ford from the woods.

Alright cool - I'll have to look around for them once the ice finishes melting, I guess. Hopefully I have one or two near my settlement, so that I have easy access to them.

Also, I don't suppose there's any way I can have mail hauberks repaired, is there? Since I killed a couple more Njerpez (up to five, now) after shooting them in the face/neck and now I've gotten myself a shabby-condition mail hauberk and a great condition iron helm.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I actually hacked together a mod a long time ago that lets you make mail among other stuff, but no unfortunately you can't repair anything metal.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, how easy would it be to mod in the ability to cut a fur (or leather) off into another piece? Whether it's simply halved or something you can specify the amount to cut off, is secondary. I'm just interested in cutting my elk furs up so I can get my kota sorted ASAP, is all.
If there are any guides around, I'd definitely be interested in taking a look, to see if I can cobble something together!

EDIT: Also, just earlier I shot a glutton and chased it into a herd of reindeer I didn't know was there.
The glutton got away with my arrow in tow, but I've now got two shiny (read: blood-slick) fine quality reindeer furs! :D (plus another eye-shot for my tally) drat, I don't know why I ever stopped playing this game, haha

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Nov 14, 2019

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Major Isoor posted:

Hmm, how easy would it be to mod in the ability to cut a fur (or leather) off into another piece?

Very hard/impossible. Recipes for items/buildables are easy to mod since it's just text file editing but altering a more core gameplay mechanic like that isn't doable afaik. If you're trying to sort out your kota you could always just edit the buildables text file and change the requirements/build time/whatever of constructing the kota pieces.

Modding is generally very easy and requires almost no understand of the game code or underlying systems. Check out the forums/pull apart other mods if you wanna learn.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
So the new Zomboid patch is uh... interesting. Base difficulty is a LOT harder, and I've gotten bitten and died every time I try to engage more than one zombie at once.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah. I only picked up the game just before the Build 41 IWBUMS was released, but it’s been fun. haven’t lasted more than a couple days so far but I just know I’m gonna get a breakout.

Doing better now that I’m being more avoidant and getting used to the new combat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh right! I'd forgotten that PZ was getting another patch. I put URW down for around a week to smash-out GTA5 (after remembering that I actually HAVE it, and decided to clear it from my backlog) but I think I'll dive back into my URW campaign this weekend and, when I inevitably die, I think I'll give PZ another whirl.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I recall you posting some MP screenshots a few weeks ago, Isoor. Just know that the IWBUMS Build 41 beta doesn't have MP yet and it may be quite a while before it does.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I recall you posting some MP screenshots a few weeks ago, Isoor. Just know that the IWBUMS Build 41 beta doesn't have MP yet and it may be quite a while before it does.

Oh! Alright then, thanks for the heads-up. We'll have to wait and see then, I guess!

By the way, do you know if pre-patch saves are/will be compatible? I don't mind if my friend and I have to restart, but drat we've just converted the fire station into a real nice safehouse, so it'd be a shame to lose it in such a way. (Plus we also burnt over a thousand zombies in the prison, which was fun! We're probably going to look for another horde of zombies to burn :v:)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Unfortunately they will not.

quote:

Due to the extent of engine and gameplay changes in Build 41, existing savegames will NOT be compatible.

At the time of the full build release, for those wishing to continue playing on old saves, a Steam beta branch of the current Build 40 will be available – and will continue to be available at all times.

This will be known as ‘PZ Classic’, and will also allow people to continue to play with their favourite mods until such a time as they are updated.

At least the characters/zombies look a lot nicer now. Also there is neat stuff like repairing clothes!

(this one isn't mine, like I said, I haven't made it a week, let alone two months)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Nov 21, 2019

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
if im playing the forest with a couple buddies is there any reason to do things quickly? we're kinda enjoying the pace so far, but is it something we can mostly control or are we gonna be overwhelmed with mega mutants if we arent all decked out by day 12 or whatever

Voxx
Jul 28, 2009

I'll give 'em a hold
and a break to breathe
And if they can't play nice
I won't play with 'em at all

Verviticus posted:

if im playing the forest with a couple buddies is there any reason to do things quickly? we're kinda enjoying the pace so far, but is it something we can mostly control or are we gonna be overwhelmed with mega mutants if we arent all decked out by day 12 or whatever

You can generally go at your own pace.

Mechanic spoiler: moving around is good

Bigger Mechanic spoiler: if you build it they will come

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
alright that makes sense. i guess its a good plan to what, stash some food and water by the plane for when the poo poo hits the fan?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Verviticus posted:

alright that makes sense. i guess its a good plan to what, stash some food and water by the plane for when the poo poo hits the fan?

don't use the plane as a redoubt, most of the places it can land are actually pretty difficult to find back and you're never going to get one of the things you will care about most out of it, which is fresh water.

i prefer to set up small waystations near ponds, which consist if:

- a firepit
- a small cabin (the 13 log ones)
- a bench (to be put near the firepit)
- a few drying racks

you can spruce things up a bit with a couple of neato addons if you like but those are the basics. the drying racks will provide ready food that you can just sort of grab and go, the cabin will provide a place to sleep, and the bench will provide an easy way to top off your energy if you're tired when running through. building it by the pond means you will always have clear water available, and after you get a pot from wandering around you can just boil it on the fire to make sure it's safe. the ponds will also provide fish that you can catch with a spear for a meal or to stock your drying racks with.

these stations go up so fast that you can make one as you first notice it turning evening and i'll be done before it gets dark, so it's easy to have like 8 of them all around the peninsula, all more or less ready to provide basic life support and shelter.

also, regarding the fighting: head shots with a bow instantly kill all cannibals. use the small nub in the middle of the crafted bow as a sight, practice with it a little bit and before long you'll have a really good idea of where your arrows are going to go. getting good with the bow will make you insanely powerful.

when you run into big mutants, try fire.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
The last time I tried to play The Forest my potato of a laptop didn't like it and I didnt investigate too much to see if there we're any Hitman-issue diabolical tricks to fix that.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Coolguye posted:

don't use the plane as a redoubt, most of the places it can land are actually pretty difficult to find back and you're never going to get one of the things you will care about most out of it, which is fresh water.

i prefer to set up small waystations near ponds, which consist if:

- a firepit
- a small cabin (the 13 log ones)
- a bench (to be put near the firepit)
- a few drying racks

you can spruce things up a bit with a couple of neato addons if you like but those are the basics. the drying racks will provide ready food that you can just sort of grab and go, the cabin will provide a place to sleep, and the bench will provide an easy way to top off your energy if you're tired when running through. building it by the pond means you will always have clear water available, and after you get a pot from wandering around you can just boil it on the fire to make sure it's safe. the ponds will also provide fish that you can catch with a spear for a meal or to stock your drying racks with.

these stations go up so fast that you can make one as you first notice it turning evening and i'll be done before it gets dark, so it's easy to have like 8 of them all around the peninsula, all more or less ready to provide basic life support and shelter.

also, regarding the fighting: head shots with a bow instantly kill all cannibals. use the small nub in the middle of the crafted bow as a sight, practice with it a little bit and before long you'll have a really good idea of where your arrows are going to go. getting good with the bow will make you insanely powerful.

when you run into big mutants, try fire.

i meant specific for like, MP deaths. in sp if you die you spawn in the cave but in MP you spawn in the plane with no energy, food, water or stamina, so i figured id dump a small cache of sodas and meat or something there just in case

a question about the pot: is there a way to tell when the water is boiled? cause it seems to have no indicator, and you can drink it any time, so i just kinda guess and sometimes i poison myself

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

So how is SCUM these days? Still broken and filled with hackers and cheaters? I see the reviews gotten better lately but I'm not sure if that means anything.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

So how is SCUM these days? Still broken and filled with hackers and cheaters? I see the reviews gotten better lately but I'm not sure if that means anything.

Every new patch seems to add more bugs and breaks old features, and they are definitely having to spend lots of time fixing these problems that could be used on other stuff.

That said, the recent optimization updates really made the larger population servers a viable choice. It used to be a huge lagfest even with sub-40 players on the server but now I've played in ~60-70 players on and there was no item pickup lag / shooting lag / teleportation that plagued the game earlier. So if you had issues with that definitely check it out again. I have hoped that SCUM would take an even bigger push towards being a hardcore survival simulation game with some combat added (like it was envisioned) and less a shooting game with survival elements. The devs have made similar comments on the Steam roadmap thread so I'm optimistic about the direction.

I played the hell out of SCUM since its release (got over 1000 hours clocked there, it used to be the go-to game for my friends and I) but the lack of new content for a while now has taken its toll and lately I haven't played at all.

For now they are promising a bigger update before the end of the year, which would supposedly feature the first bigger city (urban combat yay) and some new mechanics, rumours are medical & disease systems and metabolism updates + possibly something new. So that will probably be a good time to try the game out again.

It's definitely a good game and gives lots of stuff to do for the price, but following the EA closely makes the development process for new content seem really slow. If they manage to add all the features they have been wanting & promising it will probably be insanely good. But that is still some time away with this current pace.

In terms of realistic survival games I feel like SCUM is one the best already and has the potential to be even better with the aforementioned systems expanded fully.

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 21, 2019

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Thanks for the write up, very useful. I might give it a try soonish as I just bought a decent pc.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Verviticus posted:

i meant specific for like, MP deaths. in sp if you die you spawn in the cave but in MP you spawn in the plane with no energy, food, water or stamina, so i figured id dump a small cache of sodas and meat or something there just in case

a question about the pot: is there a way to tell when the water is boiled? cause it seems to have no indicator, and you can drink it any time, so i just kinda guess and sometimes i poison myself

the in-flight meals should respawn in the plane if you reload the game so unless you're dying more than once per session it shouldn't be a giant problem, but if that's a thing that's happening then yeah it wouldn't hurt to make a drying rack with some spare fish and a cabinet stocked with sodas.

the pot under normal circumstances is supposed to not let you drink from it until the water is boiled, same way you can't eat a piece of meat you've put on a fire until it is cooked so that sounds like a syncing bug or something. but that said, it stops steaming quite so merrily after it is boiled so if you're really paying attention you can tell. but you shouldn't need to.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Waterskins will tell you the water quality so if it happens enough fill your water skin first?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Klaaz posted:

Thanks for the write up, very useful. I might give it a try soonish as I just bought a decent pc.

It's also a very beautiful game, the higher resolutions and detail levels require a powerful PC, but at the same time the game looks really good on lower settings too. I played on low for a long time (I have a mid-tier PC) and after I updated my CPU a bit with my friends' old one I boosted to med-high and the jump wasn't THAT noticeable. So I mostly play on medium for better FPS.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Hub Cat posted:

Waterskins will tell you the water quality so if it happens enough fill your water skin first?

i haven’t made one yet. i haven’t been able to kill any goddamn rabbits they keep running away

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Isn't SCUM the one that got caught with a Nazi tattoo customization option and they had to pretend they didn't know what it meant and it was an accident?

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Verviticus posted:

i haven’t made one yet. i haven’t been able to kill any goddamn rabbits they keep running away

I think waterskin needs deer skin? Should be able to nail one with a thrown spear or chase it down and poke/chop it. Worst comes to worst you could set up some traps and flush one into it. Hmm, now I want to play some Forest again.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Nov 22, 2019

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Empyrion: Galactic Survival is on sale for 50% right now. Pick it up, its really awesome and totally worth $10. The game is in active development and they just released Alpha 11 with a bunch of new features:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Rutibex posted:

Empyrion: Galactic Survival is on sale for 50% right now. Pick it up, its really awesome and totally worth $10. The game is in active development and they just released Alpha 11 with a bunch of new features:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/383120/Empyrion__Galactic_Survival/

Huh, interesting - I don't think I've seen this, before. What would you say it's similar to? Seems a bit like No Man's Sky or Space Engineers, perhaps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Major Isoor posted:

Huh, interesting - I don't think I've seen this, before. What would you say it's similar to? Seems a bit like No Man's Sky or Space Engineers, perhaps

Funny you mention NMS, because when that game came out, I thought "so it's Empyrion but without the building?" Personally, I think it's more like 7 Days to Die, but with space travel instead of zombies. You mine for raw materials to make items like weapons, ammo, and building supplies, so that you can make bases and hovercraft and spaceships to fly between different planets and solar systems. There are also dinosaurs and hot dog plants and you can mine on asteroids and moons in space. I haven't played in a long time, but friends of mine play pretty regularly and the only real issues they have are lag and desynching when in big multiplayer ship battles. That may or may not be a concern for you but the game is still good as a single-player or small-server-with-friends thing.