Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Streak posted:

You keep posting dumb poo poo that nobody wants to read instead of toxxing for Pete. Why is that?

For real, that guy needs to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Glasses Optional posted:

Its not zero sum. They should absolutely be professionals. But to say they are disallowed from donating is wrong. Absolutely they shouldnt be "sold" but backing someone shouldnt be a disqualifier by itself

Of course it should be a disqualifier. Preventing the perverse incentive of donations potentially influencing appointments is far more important than the unlikely hypothetical scenario where the most qualified genius ambassador has donated a lot of money. There is never going to be a situation where we lose out on hiring the best people due to some rule against appointing donors, but such a rule goes a long way towards removing the harmful incentives that pervade our political system.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

Rich people who donate to campaigns are barely qualified to breathe, let alone serve as ambassadors. Rich people are not competent so we really don't have to worry about barring them from lucrative political posts.

I've never reallt felt comfortable with the phrase "rich people", as it implies the rich are people. Just rubs me the wrong way you know.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

His Divine Shadow posted:

I've never reallt felt comfortable with the phrase "rich people", as it implies the rich are people. Just rubs me the wrong way you know.

They prefer to be called "people of means".

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Ytlaya posted:

Of course it should be a disqualifier. Preventing the perverse incentive of donations potentially influencing appointments is far more important than the unlikely hypothetical scenario where the most qualified genius ambassador has donated a lot of money. There is never going to be a situation where we lose out on hiring the best people due to some rule against appointing donors, but such a rule goes a long way towards removing the harmful incentives that pervade our political system.

I agree and i would hope a "lot of money" is a disqualifier instead of "donor" as is listed in the question.

We act like it doesnt matter but it does. We have literal republican talking points in the impeachment and Mueller hearings based on texts, facebook posts, or simply the omission of outright support of Trump as arguments that people are disqualified from giving testimony or holding a position.

So its not insane to be clear on this poo poo because a not insignificant minority in this country makes decisions based on stupid poo poo like that

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Welp, it's official:

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1197575391696818177

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Glasses Optional posted:

I agree and i would hope a "lot of money" is a disqualifier instead of "donor" as is listed in the question.

We act like it doesnt matter but it does. We have literal republican talking points in the impeachment and Mueller hearings based on texts, facebook posts, or simply the omission of outright support of Trump as arguments that people are disqualified from giving testimony or holding a position.

So its not insane to be clear on this poo poo because a not insignificant minority in this country makes decisions based on stupid poo poo like that

Or on stupid equivocating poo poo like "well really it's the amount of the bribe that matters"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Michael Boomer (typo, I'm keeping it) running for president is similar to Louie CK making people watch him jack off

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
https://twitter.com/mattbinder/status/1197198708200427520?s=21

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

somewhere, a partner at a consulting firm is picking out the island he's going to buy

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
The Emerson poll includes a bunch of other questions and presents the crosstabs for them, so just for fun

Bernie leads among:
Men
Independents
Democrats
People who will definitely vote for their current candidate
People who say Hillary shouldn't run this time around
People who say Bloomberg shouldn't run
People who did not vote in 2016
Hispanics
Asians
Whites
Age 18-29
Age 30-49
People with some college
college graduates
Very Liberal
Guns as main issue
Environment as main issue
Immigration as main issue
People who are not watching the impeachment
People who oppose impeachment
People following the protests in Hong Kong
People who have hardly any respect for the police

Biden leads among:
Women
Republicans who will vote in the democratic primary
People who there's a chance they might vote for someone else
People who say Hillary should run this year
People who say Bloomberg should run this year
People who voted for Hillary vs Trump in 2016
People who voted third party in 2016
Black voters
People 50-64
People 65+
High school only
Moderates
Very Conservative
The economy as top issue
Impeachment as top issue
Social issues as the top issue
Healthcare as the top issue
Foreign Policy as the top issue
Education as the top issue
People watching the impeachment
People who support the impeachment
People not following the protests in Hong Kong
People who support the police a great deal

Warren leads among:
People with postgraduate degrees
People who identify as somewhat conservative
People who identify as somewhat liberal

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Glasses Optional posted:

Congratulations on your fancy tag, moron. You going to toxx now?

Streak fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 21, 2019

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I need receipts on mayo Pete being a racist my Boomer fil is in love with the guy.

Glasses Optional
Apr 23, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Unoriginal Name posted:

Or on stupid equivocating poo poo like "well really it's the amount of the bribe that matters"

It actually does. And how frequent and when.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Turtlicious posted:

I need receipts on mayo Pete being a racist my Boomer fil is in love with the guy.

https://twitter.com/niktaylorde/status/1145703743842922499

This might help.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Glasses Optional posted:

Except yes they are. They are asking the question without qualification then running off howling about how impure they are next to candidate X. They do this to all the candidates btw, and I think its dishonest.

You're an idiot who doesn't understand implication

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I missed the debates. Is there a good summary article or are they all poo poo?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Lightning Knight posted:

Go read the guardian or listen to a pod?

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lightning Knight posted:

Butt said he wants to make Washington whiter:

quote:

I believe we need to send somebody in who has a different kind of experience, the experience on the ground, solving problems, working side by side with neighbors on some of the toughest issues that come up in government, recognizing what is required of executive leadership, and bringing that to Washington so that Washington can start looking a little more like our best-run communities in the heartland before the other way around starts to happen.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Butt said he wants to make Washington whiter:

Lol Jesus Pete

If Bernie Sanders said that it would be correctly recognized as the white supremacist euphemism it is, yet I bet the media is fawning over the butt.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Lightning Knight posted:

Lol Jesus Pete

If Bernie Sanders said that it would be correctly recognized as the white supremacist euphemism it is, yet I bet the media is fawning over the butt.

Warren looked at Buttigieg and decided to tack to ‘America’s military needs to grow’.

And refusing to repudiate anti-abortion dems like Jon Bel Edwards.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
I thought Pete definitely channeled some of that Obama energy in his (very well done) prepared topic statements. Big on rhetoric, low on specifics. I think he did what he wanted to do.

Plenty of time left before voting, tho.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

People say that Pete only ever got 8,000 votes as mayor of a small town, but did you opt out of voting for him? At some point in our lives, we've all voted for Pete.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Office Pig posted:

And refusing to repudiate anti-abortion dems like Jon Bel Edwards.

Would you rather a Republican be governor of Louisiana right now?

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Pete is surging like poop surges out of my butt

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

How are u posted:

If Democrats weren't cowards with no convictions maybe a non-trash person would have run as a Democrat in that race?

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Did anyone last night point out The Butt being buddy buddy with Proto-Nazis

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

oxsnard posted:

No but Bernie admitted he would negotiate with the taliban

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

How are u posted:

Don't have to, there already is.

Salean
Mar 17, 2004

Homewrecker

oxsnard posted:

Its pretty rare for candidates to hate the cia on stage

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Lightning Knight posted:

Imagine 4 highballs of whiskey on the edge of a cliff,

And them doing nothing to dull the utter banality and vapidness of 2.5 hours bernie being asked repeatedly when did he stop beating his wife, harris trying to out stutter biden, klobuchar vibrating between 560 hertz and 16.7 kilohertz, steyer getting 5 questions about affordable housing, pete having high high hopes about political experience being actually bad if you think about it, booker whining about his gofundme, and warren concluding that “everyone up here has a lot of good ideas”.

I left out Yang because so did MSNBC, lol.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yang is a 12 year old buy in a suit, how is he even allowed out past his bedtime let alone to run for president

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Lightning Knight posted:

Joe Biden is emphatic that when it comes to Domestic Violence we need to "keep punching at it and punching at it and punching at it" to defeat it.

Unless it's self defense.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

How are u posted:

I thought Pete definitely channeled some of that Obama energy in his (very well done) prepared topic statements. Big on rhetoric, low on specifics. I think he did what he wanted to do.

Plenty of time left before voting, tho.

Yeah he definitely channeled masquerading as a progressive while actually being a piece of poo poo

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.
https://twitter.com/johnghendy/status/1197552316343312390?s=21

It’s funny that I used to think The Atlantic was a good publisher.

Just completely dismissing all of his sundowning, sidestepping Biden’s abysmal moral record in office, and trying to garner sympathy for Biden like he was born with a serious disability.

Streak
May 16, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
Biden lies. He lies to your face and smiles while he does it. He's a loving liar.

That he stutters while he does it is not the loving point. He's a loving liar.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Streak posted:

Biden lies. He lies to your face and smiles while he does it. He's a loving liar.

That he stutters while he does it is not the loving point. He's a loving liar.

I actually read the entire article too.

The best part is that the author admits that Biden makes gaffes unrelated to the stutter more than the other candidates.

There’s also the elephant in the room that Biden had basically completely suppressed his stutter until a year or two ago.

There’s absolutely no way that Biden mentally declining and having speech regression could be related. No siree. Biden’s brain is a steel trap.

The author also compares his situation to The King’s Speech, and implies that Harris criticizing Biden’s lovely record on race was an unfair gotcha moment.

I’ve yet to see any defense of Biden that isn’t completely empty.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

RasperFat posted:

https://twitter.com/johnghendy/status/1197552316343312390?s=21

It’s funny that I used to think The Atlantic was a good publisher.

Just completely dismissing all of his sundowning, sidestepping Biden’s abysmal moral record in office, and trying to garner sympathy for Biden like he was born with a serious disability.

Dear lord that comment section is lovely. Just a centrist circlejerk of people patting the writer on the back and saying how amazing Biden is and that this might change their decision of who to vote for.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
Ugh this should not be a thing at all. First Warren had to steal from Bernie, then Warren steal from Pete. Now Bernie is stealing from Pete.

I'm rethinking my support for him now if this does become a thing.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10219872516979518&id=1118629918&source=48

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/MattBinder/status/1197573670585151488?s=20