Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

repiv posted:

All Index owners get it, even those who just bought the controllers to upgrade an existing Vive setup.

If you know someone with an Index/controllers you should borrow them for a few hours and get them to show in SteamVR while Steam is running. I'm guessing that's all it takes to get it added, but Valve will probably close that loophole in a couple of weeks once people catch on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
In an interview I saw a dev say Alyx is the length of Half Life 2, which is about 13 hours long.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Stick100 posted:

If you know someone with an Index/controllers you should borrow them for a few hours and get them to show in SteamVR while Steam is running. I'm guessing that's all it takes to get it added, but Valve will probably close that loophole in a couple of weeks once people catch on.

I would imagine they're gifting HL:A directly to the account that purchased the controllers. You can't buy them anywhere besides Steam right?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

repiv posted:

I would imagine they're gifting HL:A directly to the account that purchased the controllers. You can't buy them anywhere besides Steam right?

Yeah thats my guess too. I have a dev kit and it don't show up on my account like I bought it. >_>

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Enos Cabell posted:

That looks so loving good to me.

I am 100% on board with this.

(I'd have added an Index to the cart for the joke but it's not on Amazon.)

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
What's the right cable to buy for Quest link, then?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Gort posted:

What's the right cable to buy for Quest link, then?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
It doesn't sound like Robert Guillaume is voicing Eli. Or maybe I'm getting confused. I'm hearing the voice of another actor. I don't know his name though, and I can't remember what I've seen him in.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Nov 21, 2019

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Immerse all of your knuckles in the experience that is Alyx.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't sound like Robert Guillaume is voicing Eli. Or maybe I'm getting confused. I'm hearing the voice of another actor. I don't know his name though, and I can't remember what I've seen him in.

Considering he's dead it's understandable.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

The physics look great. I cannot deal with facecrabs jumping at my face though. And I will probably rip my headset off if I get sucked up into a barnacle

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jan posted:

I am 100% on board with this.

(I'd have added an Index to the cart for the joke but it's not on Amazon.)

Those hybrid water coolers are kinda meh, you're better off going air cooling seriously

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Considering he's dead it's understandable.

Oh drat, I forgot to check if he was still alive. I was too busy looking up if Lou Gosset Jr. was still alive.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Zaphod42 posted:

Those hybrid water coolers are kinda meh, you're better off going air cooling seriously

Nah you're wrong.

I have the EVGA hybrid and it owns bones.

Sup 1300+ overclock on memory, sup 150+ on core, Sup temps that don't suck.

With that said. The MSI one, has REALLY lovely tubing on it. gently caress the MSI hybrid.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

EbolaIvory posted:

Nah you're wrong.

I have the EVGA hybrid and it owns bones.

Sup 1300+ overclock on memory, sup 150+ on core, Sup temps that don't suck.

With that said. The MSI one, has REALLY lovely tubing on it. gently caress the MSI hybrid.

I mean I'm running an 8700k at 5.2 gigs @70C under load with air cooling and it's super quiet, so

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

AndrewP posted:

The physics look great. I cannot deal with facecrabs jumping at my face though. And I will probably rip my headset off if I get sucked up into a barnacle

It's funny, all I ever wanted was more half life, and in VR is even better. I never even considered having to fight headcrabs in VR until seeing the trailer and it gave me a sense of overwhelming dread.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Fuzz posted:

I mean I'm running an 8700k at 5.2 gigs @70C under load with air cooling and it's super quiet, so

Cool.

We're talking about a GPU and if hybrids are "worthless".

Which, they arent.

Both my 8700k and 9900k are on water. Why? Water is just better. Its quieter, cooler, looks nicer, isnt some giant heavy block hanging on my board. A decent AIO isnt much more than a DECENT air cooler. But hey we're side tracking. This was about Hybrid GPUs not CPUs.

weeeeeeeeeeee

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

If the environments are as busy as shown with you having to scramble to find poo poo on shelves or cabinets to make it through the levels it could be real fun.

https://youtu.be/qGgGiV22QiQ?t=43

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Can any of you recommend a good cover/grip/strap for the oculus quest hand controllers?

The battery covers are held on weakly with magnets and keep coming off in the middle of play if I grip the controller too hard.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Honestly 10 feet isn't long enough and that cable doesn't seem to work well with any of the USB extensions I have (2 passive, 1 active). I'm not sure what the best combination to buy is yet.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Can any of you recommend a good cover/grip/strap for the oculus quest hand controllers?

The battery covers are held on weakly with magnets and keep coming off in the middle of play if I grip the controller too hard.

I like the Malmuts, but most other people think there are better and cheaper solutions.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

repiv posted:

EDIT: I was wrong it's been added to my library.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 22, 2019

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

spacetoaster posted:

I like the AMVR grip covers, others like the Mamuts (but I have both and prefer the AMVR). The Kiwi grips are the newest: https://smile.amazon.com/KIWI-design-Knuckle-Controller-Accessories/dp/B07XYYNXJ3?sa-no-redirect=1

I hear good things about those but can only vouch for the AMVR

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Stick100 posted:

Yeah, too bad. I bought the Index HMD but not the controllers since I already had dev kit Index controllers and it looks like I won't get HL:A.

Did you not see the part where people who bought the Index get the game?

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Stick100 posted:

Yeah, too bad. I bought the Index HMD but not the controllers since I already had dev kit Index controllers and it looks like I won't get HL:A.
You get HL:A for free whether you own just the HMD or just the controllers (or both). https://store.steampowered.com/valveindex

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Is that Rhys Darby? I'm in just for that.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
I was definitely considering buying the Index controllers, figuring that the bundled game would let me convince myself that the price for the controllers was more reasonable, but apparently they're still $279. That's a tough pill to swallow even with a $50 game included.

Any Index controller owners, especially those using them with the original headset, want to try to convince me otherwise? Currently the only VR games I have more than around two hours in to are Beat Saber, Subnautica, and Bridge Crew, but presumably HL:A will join that list eventually unless they really hosed up.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

wolrah posted:

I was definitely considering buying the Index controllers, figuring that the bundled game would let me convince myself that the price for the controllers was more reasonable, but apparently they're still $279. That's a tough pill to swallow even with a $50 game included.

Any Index controller owners, especially those using them with the original headset, want to try to convince me otherwise? Currently the only VR games I have more than around two hours in to are Beat Saber, Subnautica, and Bridge Crew, but presumably HL:A will join that list eventually unless they really hosed up.

If you're coming from the dumpster fire that the Vive controllers are, then they are a massive improvement.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

They're Fine, there's not really much at the moment that uses them to their fullest. They're nicely made and ergonomic though

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

wolrah posted:

Boneworks is looking to be in a similar vein and has Index supprt, though from a smaller studio with a smaller scope.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Index controllers look great to me, although I know somebody (was it Shine?) was saying they hated not having a button you could just click and it was basically a dealbreaker for them on the index controllers as a result since some actions were inconsistent.

They still look pretty wild and I'm thinking about upgrading from a VIVE to Index half for the controllers and half for the resolution and frame rate, but its something to consider.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Of the whole kit, the HMD is definitely the most exciting part. It's a ridiculously comfortable headset in all the ways a headset can be comfortable, fits nicely on your head, runs cool, good displays especially if you're able to drive it at high frame rate, good audio

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

i'm so god drat excited for new half life that i was confused for a second how the trailer knew i was breathing heavily before i realized it was the captions

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Tweak posted:

i'm so god drat excited for new half life that i was confused for a second how the trailer knew i was breathing heavily before i realized it was the captions

NO THAT'S THE POWER OF SOURCE 2, BABY.

IT CAN HEAR YOUR PANTING AND SMELL YOUR SHARTS. THE FUTURE IS NOW!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Going from an OG Vive to the Index, the Index controllers were the giantest hugest leap are you jokers kidding me? The Vive wands were OK but now that I have the Index I can confidently say that the Vive wands loving suck.

Simple poo poo like not having to hold on to the controller (because it is strapped to your hand) is huge, the finger tracking is a little gimmicky but it stuff like HHH (or H3, hard to decide what to call it now that Half-Life is back) I use it all the time to hold on to objects, including guns, magazines and ammo. The Index is fantastic too and very easily much better than the original Vive, but the controllers are what really sold me on it once I got them in my hands.

Half-Life being back is rad as gently caress you guys. I am excite.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Just played oculus quest link and it seems fine.

Robo recall on the quest, and through the link is night and day. Looks so much better.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Going from an OG Vive to the Index, the Index controllers were the giantest hugest leap are you jokers kidding me? The Vive wands were OK but now that I have the Index I can confidently say that the Vive wands loving suck.

Simple poo poo like not having to hold on to the controller (because it is strapped to your hand) is huge, the finger tracking is a little gimmicky but it stuff like HHH (or H3, hard to decide what to call it now that Half-Life is back) I use it all the time to hold on to objects, including guns, magazines and ammo. The Index is fantastic too and very easily much better than the original Vive, but the controllers are what really sold me on it once I got them in my hands.

Half-Life being back is rad as gently caress you guys. I am excite.

Yeah the Vive wands are terrible, I think those comments are in the context of Index controllers vs Touch controllers which is a much smaller gap.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

KakerMix posted:

Yeah that's how it sounded on paper to me. gently caress it, I guess I'm gonna go ahead and order one.

Lemming posted:

Yeah the Vive wands are terrible, I think those comments are in the context of Index controllers vs Touch controllers which is a much smaller gap.

Ah that's true, I'm pretty sure they were talking about vs Touch controllers as being the superior option.

VIVE controllers seem the worst, although perfectly serviceable and accurate. They're just too bulky.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Index controllers are definitely the best you can get, better than Touch. They're just pricy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If I already have VIVE tracking stations, is there any reason to get the new Index ones?

I guess if I want to be able to sell my VIVE or give it to a friend then I should... although you can always buy them a la carte for the same price so maybe I'll just buy the headset and controllers for now.