Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Is SA twitter embed broken for everyone or just me?

mine works ok. I had a problem in the past and had to fiddle with my Firefox extensions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Is SA twitter embed broken for everyone or just me?

If you're using Firefox, check the Tracking settings. If they're set to strict, that kills Twitter cookies which disables embedding.

Classon Ave. Robot
Oct 7, 2019

by Athanatos
I'm using Chrome, and it suddenly started working again for some reason. Thanks anyways though!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

ToxicSlurpee posted:

I think that actually varies by state in exactly what happens.

Yes. 9 states don't accept write-in votes at all, 8 states accept any votes, and most (33) states only accept write-in candidates that have pre-filed paperwork to qualify as a write-in candidate.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone recently expedited renewal of a US passport? The website suggests 2-3 weeks but I’m scheduled to leave on a business trip exactly 2 weeks from today and would like some reassurance that I’ll receive it by then if I overnight everything to them today.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why does every single chicken you see in a video showcasing their mass production have really bad feather loss and look overall gross? Don't get me wrong, I'll still eat them, cause they taste great. But it's a little disgusting seeing the chickens I eat vs the chickens I've raised myself in terms of how healthy and good they look.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Because large-scale chicken production is incredibly inhumane and the producers don’t give a poo poo what they look like with feathers.

I also eat chicken, so I’m not being a militant vegan or anything.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Lawnie posted:

Has anyone recently expedited renewal of a US passport? The website suggests 2-3 weeks but I’m scheduled to leave on a business trip exactly 2 weeks from today and would like some reassurance that I’ll receive it by then if I overnight everything to them today.

I know that in Chicago, you can make an appointment and show up with all of your paperwork and get a passport in a few hours.

Where are you and where is the closest passport office? I think you're too late to get one by mail.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Quabzor posted:

I know that in Chicago, you can make an appointment and show up with all of your paperwork and get a passport in a few hours.

Where are you and where is the closest passport office? I think you're too late to get one by mail.

I’m in Indianapolis and can’t really afford to go to Chicago in the next 2 weeks. That’s a shame, my coworkers all suggested that it’s much faster than the 2 weeks but I don’t know if that’s still the case, since the state department has lost a lot of people in the last couple years.

Quabzor
Oct 17, 2010

My whole life just flashed before my eyes! Dude, I sleep a lot.

Lawnie posted:

I’m in Indianapolis and can’t really afford to go to Chicago in the next 2 weeks. That’s a shame, my coworkers all suggested that it’s much faster than the 2 weeks but I don’t know if that’s still the case, since the state department has lost a lot of people in the last couple years.

I think all post offices do passport processing. Go to your nearest one and ask what they suggest doing, if there's a place in Indianapolis to get one immediately, they would know. It seems like there are options to get passports delivered in as little as 24hrs, but they are rather expensive.

A few years back, I ordered mine on Dec 28, 2017 and got it on Jan 15(ish... that's when an old email suggested it would be at my home) and that was during the imminent government shutdown.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Is NordVPN still highly regarded even with the breach? I'm just looking for security from hackers/government while not compromising speed. I don't torrent.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Is NordVPN still highly regarded even with the breach? I'm just looking for security from hackers/government while not compromising speed. I don't torrent.
Can you describe the sort of security you think a VPN offers from hackers or governments?

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
According to how to geek dot com I can:

Protect yourself from snooping on untrustworthy Wi-Fi hotspots.

Gain at least some anonymity online by hiding your true location.

Is this correct?

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Is this correct?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY

(1min summary at 6:10 if you are in hurry)

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

A VPN will limit the sort of snooping an untrustworthy Wi-FI network can do (they can see how much and when data is moving but not where), while doing nothing to limit the snooping ability of a specific company that is probably in your credit card records. A government will need to perform some trickery to convince you to connect to a compromised Wi-Fi network, but can insert or compromise an employee in your VPN of choice with comparatively little effort.

quote:

It shields your location from people you are exchanging data with, but again the VPN has total access to the location information you want to shield. And like your location is probably not even actually useful to hackers or governments (or they already know it).

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Qubee posted:

Why does every single chicken you see in a video showcasing their mass production have really bad feather loss and look overall gross? Don't get me wrong, I'll still eat them, cause they taste great. But it's a little disgusting seeing the chickens I eat vs the chickens I've raised myself in terms of how healthy and good they look.

Because humans are monsters, and it's a good thing we're going extinct soon.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009

Shut up Meg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVDQEoe6ZWY

(1min summary at 6:10 if you are in hurry)

twodot posted:

A VPN will limit the sort of snooping an untrustworthy Wi-FI network can do (they can see how much and when data is moving but not where), while doing nothing to limit the snooping ability of a specific company that is probably in your credit card records. A government will need to perform some trickery to convince you to connect to a compromised Wi-Fi network, but can insert or compromise an employee in your VPN of choice with comparatively little effort.

It shields your location from people you are exchanging data with, but again the VPN has total access to the location information you want to shield. And like your location is probably not even actually useful to hackers or governments (or they already know it).

Ah, thanks for the clarification guys. Good to know that VPN is actually not necessary for my purposes. Sad to know it can't do much even if I'm abroad (like in China unless I want to access a certain website that is blocked).

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Kritzkrieg Kop posted:

Is this correct?

Yes, with a couple of caveats.

The wi-fi snooping thing is much less of a problem these days than it was ten or even five years ago. HTTPS usage has been vastly ramped up (thank Mr. Snowden), which end-to-end encrypts the session between your computer and the remote website. If the site you're connecting to uses HTTPS (and most do these days), a wi-fi snooper might be able to see that you're going to creditcardwebsite.com, but they won't be able to see any details. And they won't be able to take over your login session with one click like they could with non-encrypted sites. With a VPN, all a snooper would be able to see is that you have an encrypted tunnel to a VPN server, and they couldn't even tell what site you're looking at at all.

Hiding your true location, that's also true, at least to a point. When you go to somewebsite.com from home, then whoever runs that website can see your IP address, which all by itself is usually enough let them know what town you're in and who your ISP is. It's very easy to see that, say, you're coming from an AT&T home DSL connection in East Fromage, Oklahoma. Which means AT&T knows who you are, and if a government is starting with a list of IPs, they can find out who you are. But it's not like the Trump administration would demand a web host give them the IPs of everyone who visited an anti-Trump page, would they? Oh wait, I guess they would. If you had visited this site via a VPN, then the site wouldn't have your true IP and so they couldn't rat you out to the Feds even if they wanted to.

Your IP isn't likely to change very often, so it's a very important piece of info for fingerprinting you. However, in the real world, browser cookies are a lot more likely to reveal your identity. Ever had an ad "follow you" around the Internet? They recognized you, probably via your browser cookies (although there are other methods in use), and showed you the same ads that were selected to fit their profile of you. A VPN, by itself, wouldn't do anything to stop this (your browser will still happily offer up its cookies no matter how complex its connection method is), and you'd be a lot better served by browser extensions like Privacy Badger or Cookie AutoDelete.

I totally get the low-grade paranoia of surveillance. I have a touch of it myself, which is exactly why I do run most of my general web traffic through a VPN. Just be aware of what a VPN can and cannot do to protect you. As for specific vendors, Nord is kind of in the doghouse at the moment for how they handled the breach, but there's nothing to indicate they're insecure now. Still, I usually recommend Proton or Mullvad over them. Both of those seem to have their poo poo together.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks for the info. I also just found out from some friends that almost all paid VPNs don't even work in China when they go on business trips. The wifi there is probably compromised anyways.

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Did anyone here work for WENDY'S in the 1980s/early 1990s? I need info on their infamous musical training videos!

In the late '80s, Wendy's made some hilarious internal training videos for new employees, set to pop music. You might have seen some of them around the internet, like Grill Skills, or Hot Drinks. If you haven't seen them, they are absolutely fantastic, and can be watched here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9zReIQh7VmOdPKSaQtLK-756TgjTp0gs

But I've never seen one for FRENCH FRIES, and I'm trying to figure out if it even existed. It must have. No trace of it on the internet, so I figured I'd ask.

If you did work for Wendy's around this time: 1. Did you see some of the above-mentioned training videos? 2. Was there also a french fry tape? If so, please describe it!

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

What was the Wendy's burger in the 90s that had sauteed onions on it? I remember getting it all the time and it was a total shitshow because the grease from the onions would combine with the other condiments and half of it would end up on your face but goddamn it was delicious.

e: nevermind, it was Dave's Deluxe which is what I thought it was called but I got confused by when they switched to calling the single/double/triples to be Dave's Single/Double/Triples which definitely don't have sauteed onions on them.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bird with big dick posted:

What was the Wendy's burger in the 90s that had sauteed onions on it? I remember getting it all the time and it was a total shitshow because the grease from the onions would combine with the other condiments and half of it would end up on your face but goddamn it was delicious.

e: nevermind, it was Dave's Deluxe which is what I thought it was called but I got confused by when they switched to calling the single/double/triples to be Dave's Single/Double/Triples which definitely don't have sauteed onions on them.

What's important to remember is that the McDLT was the best burger McDonald's ever had.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Is it racist to say, "I was Jewed," by which I mean I was unfairly persecuted based on prejudice?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

credburn posted:

Is it racist to say, "I was Jewed," by which I mean I was unfairly persecuted based on prejudice?
Yes.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

credburn posted:

Yep.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

credburn posted:

Yes and also everyone will think you mean the other thing.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

credburn posted:

yes.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

credburn posted:

Is it racist to say, "I was Jewed,"
yes

credburn posted:

by which I mean I was unfairly persecuted based on prejudice?
what

Skanky Burns
Jan 9, 2009
Circumcised?

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

It turns out the idea that Jewish people invented racism (!?!?!?!) is also racist just in a weird and unexpected way.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

credburn posted:

Yes and also gypped. I'm afraid you'll have to use the more banal "ripped off" or "screwed".

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What's important to remember is that the McDLT was the best burger McDonald's ever had.

Talk about faint praise.

Also a simultaneously fitting and ironic username/post.

credburn posted:

P sure no one's ever meant that by it except you and whomever you heard use it to mean that, if anyone.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I just got engaged and asked a randomer to take a pic of the moment. They did a terrible job of it and I was hoping to try and edit it. Turns out, I am terrible at photoshop. Is there a forum here where I can ask a kind goon to help me get the picture to be better? Thank you :)

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

henpod posted:

I just got engaged and asked a randomer to take a pic of the moment. They did a terrible job of it and I was hoping to try and edit it. Turns out, I am terrible at photoshop. Is there a forum here where I can ask a kind goon to help me get the picture to be better? Thank you :)

I'd probably try sa mart

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Stupid question incoming - I've been following British politics for a while, and I can't make heads or tails of the anti-semitism accounts that crop up what seems like every couple weeks. Is anti-semitism a serious issue in Britain? Are politicians being tarred with the label for taking stances contra Israel's? Some mix of the two? Something entirely different I'm missing? I don't have a Brit handy at the moment, so I'm asking random goons.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Stupid question incoming - I've been following British politics for a while, and I can't make heads or tails of the anti-semitism accounts that crop up what seems like every couple weeks. Is anti-semitism a serious issue in Britain? Are politicians being tarred with the label for taking stances contra Israel's? Some mix of the two? Something entirely different I'm missing? I don't have a Brit handy at the moment, so I'm asking random goons.

Here's a very good and detailed article:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45030552

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Thanks! Huh. What a mess.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
My wife got ripped off. She got roped in by a boutique furniture salesman and spent $3,000 on a chaise (chair) while out of town, and had it shipped here.

It was tufted on top. I say "was", because within the first year, many of the tufts unstrung themselves all on their own. After watching videos of furniture being built (timestamped the moment) I am not sure how this is even possible unless someone is being seriously sloppy with the staple gun. These tufting strings are strong and should not just pop loose during normal usage (we only sat on it, never rough, no rough cleaning, no pets, etc.) The dark blue dye on the fabric is also coming out streaks. What the hell is wrong with this thing? This shouldn't happen ever for $3,000 right?

Can someone confirm that it is a defect in construction for this to be able happen on its own?

I asked the company owner for a refund by e-mail the other day and he refused to honor the warranty because we did not act soon enough. Unfortunately my wife kept no paperwork about the purchase, so for years we lost the company's contact info until she finally found an old e-mail from them.

I pressed the owner to stand behind their craftmanship anyway, and told him why I knew this had happened within the first year (it was in storage for much of the time since anyway). He did not reply.

Is there anything I can do besides leaving a lovely review? They're all the way in Seattle and we're in LA.

Can anyone also confirm that this is not something we can fix DIY? The back of it looks completely sealed in by these shiny rivets at the bottom (shown below), but thankfully most of the damage is in the horizontal section, so we could maybe rip the black felt out of the bottom to access the buttons that need to be re-strung. Probably through wooden holes right? Would this require anything we can't obtain? We have no way of transporting it to a professional, but how would they access it and fix it?

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Nov 21, 2019

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!

henpod posted:

I'll do it! If you still need it done, send it to me at buttthemusical at gmail dot com. Goons have helped me out a lot, it'd be nice to give back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Fruits of the sea posted:

Thanks! Huh. What a mess.

It's kind of bizarre as anti-semitism isn't really a big thing here. I mean, obviously it is an issue, but if you asked people to list the most 'popular' -isms, I am not sure it would make the top ten.