Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

This route was loving garbage and I hated it as a kid, like most of Sinnoh.

Look the mud was a uh...poor choice of environmental planning I'll admit but sinnoh had some pretty sick areas in it. Mostly spooky ones but I'll take it.

....also Mt. Coronet can eat a damp bag of cocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

okay, let me make you a diagram, since you're being willfully obtuse.

the bottom map could describe poo poo like victory road. Yes, it is a shame this game does not have one. But there is a difference between the dungeons and the routes. You can complain about the lack of dungeons all you want, I won't dispute that. The actual routes, however, have never been that complex.

You are getting a real hang up on the split between linearity and non-linearity, when what makes a route good is how much there is to explore.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Eternatus looks more like one of the angels from smt 4 then a digimon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

mandatory lesbian posted:

Eternatus looks more like one of the angels from smt 4 then a digimon

Is it safe to say it took me a while to figure out what the hell I was looking at with it? Also here's another scalding hot controversial take; It's got barely any lore pertaining to it and it's boring as gently caress outside of being "EVIL".

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Blaziken386 posted:

you're being willfully obtuse.

:ironicat:

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The online integration in this game is so atrocious that it actually manages to impact your engagement with the rest of the game by introducing latency and freezing to the Wild Area. Even if you're just doing singleplayer stuff, and not actively attempting to struggle with the raid interface.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I think Sword and Shield is a very obviously flawed and rushed game and people acting like its amazing are being pretty delusional.

But old Pokemon route design was garbage. The wild area was more fun to explore than any route in the series ever was.

the wild area was good. i liked the distinction between routes and the wild area. there were effectively no dungeons since all the caves were just routes.

a third section of the wild area linking to the villain team lair, and then a fourth section leading to the box legendary story setting would have done wonders

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Flopsy posted:

Is it safe to say it took me a while to figure out what the hell I was looking at with it? Also here's another scalding hot controversial take; It's got barely any lore pertaining to it and it's boring as gently caress outside of being "EVIL".

Honestly I agree, it would have been cool if there had been literally any build-up to it showing up

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Everyone's out there complaining about the games being too easy while I'm sitting here losing to every single gym leader and story fight from Kabu onward at least once. :cripes:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

QuasiQuack posted:

Everyone's out there complaining about the games being too easy while I'm sitting here losing to every single gym leader and story fight from Kabu onward at least once. :cripes:

Don’t worry, I believe in you. You can do it!

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

QuasiQuack posted:

To be fair, they really do take off the training wheels somewhere between the 3rd and 5th gym.

I was worried because the typical Pokemon difficulty curve has a huge trough between the 2nd gym and the elite four.

Edit: The only trainer I've lost to is the owner of the ice cream shop in Hammerlocke, though.

Riatsala fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 21, 2019

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

QuasiQuack posted:

That was a close one because I have nothing that's effective against fire types on my team, accidentally found out he has the fire shield ability when I sent Raboot out there against his bug/fire type, and then spent a while reviving my whole rear end team because leave no one behind. Also because I'm only accepting pokemon into my team that I can see as being chosen/representing a Black Eagles member.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

qnqnx posted:

You are getting a real hang up on the split between linearity and non-linearity, when what makes a route good is how much there is to explore.

who can forget my favorite part of pokemon games, looking at the walls in the dead-end corners of a maze

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Is there any new clothing or hairstyles or anything in the postgame or nah

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Wait am I understanding correctly in that you can buy and earn all the sweet type uniforms

But then not actually wear them during gym battles

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Bleck posted:

who can forget my favorite part of pokemon games, looking at the walls in the dead-end corners of a maze

drat sounds like pokemon has always been bad. Guess we'd better just consume product and then wait for more product.

Feb 2, 2005

Sockser posted:

Wait am I understanding correctly in that you can buy and earn all the sweet type uniforms

This is my understanding and it seems like a bizarre oversight.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Every wild area Koffing encountered so far:

Explosion
Explosion
Explosion
Memento

:argh:

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Borsche69 posted:

drat sounds like pokemon has always been bad. Guess we'd better just consume product and then wait for more product.
alternatively it's almost like catching and training a bunch of cute animals followed by fighting the gym leaders has always been the main draw of these games, not looking for items behind HM walls

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
The thing I'm most disappointed/irritated at is that all the official tournaments plus the big unofficial platform (showdown, albeit you don't HAVE to play the most recent gen, that's just where most activity is) are going along with dexit, and those things are where most is my Pokemon fun comes from these days. Knowing gamefreak there's absolutely no guarantee that most of my favorites will ever be playable outside of niche third-party simulation ever again.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's bad to expect more from the most profitable game series in the world.

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee

Sockser posted:

You're a gym challenger, you wear the challenger uniform in official matches. You are not employed at any of the pokemon league gyms. The uniforms are more like fan merch.

Yes I would like to work at the non-existent psychic gym please :pray:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Team Skull was such a good deviation from the typical world ending villain group that it's baffling how much they hosed up with Team Yell.

Team Yell owns though? They're literally a group of ultras in a game heavily riffing off British football culture. It rules.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Blaziken386 posted:

okay, let me make you a diagram, since you're being willfully obtuse.

the bottom map could describe poo poo like victory road. Yes, it is a shame this game does not have one. But there is a difference between the dungeons and the routes. You can complain about the lack of dungeons all you want, I won't dispute that. The actual routes, however, have never been that complex.

Linearity is often harder on the trainer.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Blaziken386 posted:

alternatively it's almost like catching and training a bunch of cute animals followed by fighting the gym leaders has always been the main draw of these games, not looking for items behind HM walls

For me the draw of Pokemon has always been about going on an adventure in a new region with places to explore with my fun dudes, like going into caves or ruins. I want to explore the Pokemon World, not a small themepark between giant stadiums. Luckily the Wild Area delivers in a least part of this way, even if it's largely empty save for the Pokemon. Hope for the future.

With Sword and Shield no route in the game ever left me thinking that I should return to it for any reason other than catching some guys I missed, and that feels bad.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Blaziken386 posted:

Or, imagine the following: actually exploring the world, the setting the games are in. Because if I wanted more than just the battling I'd only play Showdown.
Perish the thought of actually going on an adventure with your pokemon, just go through the designated path.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kyrosiris posted:

Team Yell owns though? They're literally a group of ultras in a game heavily riffing off British football culture. It rules.

They show up like literally 4 times and do nothing of interest at all. The idea behind them is fine, their implementation was complete garbage.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

The concept of Team Yell is great, their execution largely sucks

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
typhlosion may not be able to dominate competitively, but drat it he's my fluffy boy and he did not deserve to be cut

e: and of course since megas got the cut too, he'll never actually get any loving from gamefreak

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

qnqnx posted:

Or, imagine the following: actually exploring the world, the setting the games are in. Because if I wanted more than just the battling I'd only play Showdown.
Perish the thought of actually going on an adventure with your pokemon, just go through the designated path.

:qq:

Seriously, stop being mad at video games

iospace fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 21, 2019

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
how dare people say mean things about [MEGACORPORATE IP] they must be sad whiney crybabies

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Syenite posted:

how dare people say mean things about [MEGACORPORATE IP] they must be sad whiney crybabies

When all their posts are that, you tell me

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

iospace posted:

:qq:

Seriously, stop being mad at video games
:goonsay:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

I'm the only one who isn't mad. but i'm secretly kind of mad about not having a grookey. Smell ya later!

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, on Serebii, it says some pokemon are "underground". How does one get there in the wild area?

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
it's like Pokemon is something a lot of people have become very emotionally invested in because that's the whole Pokemon gimmick, and then they care about decisions the producers and developers make, much like how my uncle that works at Nintendo gets really emotionally invested in his model train room

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Still can't believe that Inteleon's dex entry talks about how it was stationed in Italy during the years of lead

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Syenite posted:

typhlosion may not be able to dominate competitively, but drat it he's my fluffy boy and he did not deserve to be cut

e: and of course since megas got the cut too, he'll never actually get any loving from gamefreak

Typhlosion Found Dead After Being Forgotten In A Hot Car.jpg

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

I can't believe they finally introduced the Indian elephant that was supposed to be weak to Gastly's farts... and made them immune to poison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.
Glad people are using Hoenn as examples of having good location design, in terms of exploration original Hoenn is one of the best examples I can think of for progression out of really any linear game period. It's amazing how every single time you hit a milestone like a bike or a gym you basically get the choice to either beeline to your objective or spend hours faffing about and exploring all the new stuff that opens up to you while also ultimately bringing you to your destination.

Sinnoh had that too sort of but sinnoh also had a garbage progression from like gym 4 to 8