Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

iospace posted:

Because half the people doing it are doing it in bad faith?

even if this were true itt which i don't think it is, the people bending over backwards to go "no its GREAT everythings GREAT what do you people WANT" to literally any sort of criticism are equally as insufferable as the lunatics complaining about tree textures or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

tudabee posted:

I don't understand why we can't let our Pokemon follow us again if they were capable of adding all these overworld Pokemon :sigh:

game freak said around the time of b/w or x/y that they aren't going to do that anymore because it would reduce the 'value' of playing HGSS or whatever

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Riatsala posted:

The only trainer I've lost to is the owner of the ice cream shop in Hammerlocke, though.

That was needlessly rude. Oh sure I'll go ahead and fig- oh its a double battle and the pokemon are level 37.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
kinda hate that people automatically and without any consideration whatsoever throw any criticism related to graphics in the trash even if the issue is the game practically dying when more than two players are on the screen at the same time

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

game freak said around the time of b/w or x/y that they aren't going to do that anymore because it would reduce the 'value' of playing HGSS or whatever

pokemon really needs to get a competitor

it never will tho

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I genuinely would not be surprised to learn that fashion was meant to only be in x/y but it was too popular for them to not bring forward.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Syenite posted:

kinda hate that people automatically and without any consideration whatsoever throw any criticism related to graphics in the trash even if the issue is the game practically dying when more than two players are on the screen at the same time

I brought that up earlier as potentially an engine issue or a hardware issue, and while it's likely the latter for the most part, I'm not ruling out the former as contributing to it.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

it never will tho

Level-5 was looking good for it there for a while, and then managed to completely flub it in the US. I think Yo-Kai Watch is still doing okay-ish in Japan, though, but not sure.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
the thing with video game consoles is that they only have one set of hardware they run on, therefore one has the opportunity to design ones engine and game to not choke and die during the course of intended gameplay

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Polderjoch posted:

Glad people are using Hoenn as examples of having good location design, in terms of exploration original Hoenn is one of the best examples I can think of for progression out of really any linear game period. It's amazing how every single time you hit a milestone like a bike or a gym you basically get the choice to either beeline to your objective or spend hours faffing about and exploring all the new stuff that opens up to you while also ultimately bringing you to your destination.

Sinnoh had that too sort of but sinnoh also had a garbage progression from like gym 4 to 8

Yeah definitely, I loved Hoenn. Sinnoh's big probably was just the giant mountain getting in the way of everything and the weird little circle you make from gyms 3-5. It'd kind of like of you put Hoenn's water directly in the middle, and you need Surf, Dive, Whirlpool, and Waterfall to get anywhere. And Defog.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

absolutely anything posted:

why are so many of you dipshits taking "linear" to mean "has an entrance and an exit". thats like every area in every non-open world game. the complaint is that the routes have nothing to do except travel from that entrance to that exit basically until you get the water bike upgrade

Thank you!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Syenite posted:

the thing with video game consoles is that they only have one set of hardware they run on, therefore one has the opportunity to design ones engine and game to not choke and die during the course of intended gameplay

... have you played PS4, Switch or X-Box exclusives in the past decade? There are some which are amazingly fantastic and a lot which are genuinely not.

I mean hell Link's Awakening runs significantly worse than freaking Pokemon does 99% of the time and it doesn't even have online as an excuse.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

There's linear, and then there's linear with literally nothing on it, and no other direction to go. There's nothing like a Lapras hiding at the bottom of Union Cave on Fridays, or the optional desert by Route 111 in Hoenn. The routes don't have to be 'sprawling' but they should have something on them at all.

In R/B, once you get to Cerulean you can basically (although probably unintentionally) go where you want. In G/S, you can challenge gyms 5-6-7 in any order. I would love to see something like this return, with gym leaders scaling to the number of badges you have or something similar.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Level-5 was looking good for it there for a while, and then managed to completely flub it in the US. I think Yo-Kai Watch is still doing okay-ish in Japan, though, but not sure.

Maybe Atlus can make another Devil Children game. Fifth time's the charm.

Who owns the rights to Robopon? Konami? Yeah, that's not coming back

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

tudabee posted:

I don't understand why we can't let our Pokemon follow us again if they were capable of adding all these overworld Pokemon :sigh:

Imagine the Wild Area if you could see everyone's Pokemon following them.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

AngryRobotsInc posted:

YW started burning out with YW3 and level-5 scorched the land hard with 4.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DemoneeHo posted:

Maybe Atlus can make another Devil Children game. Fifth time's the charm.

Who owns the rights to Robopon? Konami? Yeah, that's not coming back

The thing with Atlus is that pretty much all SMT games are monster trainer games. They're just not usually kid-friendly ones, but they also don't have much reason to do kid friendly ones.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Personally I don't care about dexit that much, or pokemon following you etc. I just want a drat postgame that isn't anemic as gently caress.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

YW started burning out with YW3 and level-5 scorched the land hard with 4.

I wonder why and how that happened. Any good writeups?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'd buy a Pokemon-like set in the Doom universe.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
basically if somebody says they have to cut quite a bit more than half the content of the entire franchise in such a way that a message is sent to the folks whose favorites were axed that their favorites were not Good Enough (unlike Charizard and Pikachu), in order to add [Stuff] people tend to have justifiably high expectations and eminently understandable negativity

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought Let's go had it though?

also lmao

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Syenite posted:

basically if somebody says they have to cut quite a bit more than half the content of the entire franchise in such a way that a message is sent to the folks whose favorites were axed that their favorites were not Good Enough (unlike Charizard and Pikachu), in order to add [Stuff] people tend to have justifiably high expectations and eminently understandable negativity

Maybe they should have better favorites

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Bee posted:

I don't know the how and whys of it happened, but I heard YW4 was a hot, hot mess on initial release.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Imagine the Wild Area if you could see everyone's Pokemon following them.

If they're not going to allow me to successfully party up with the people standing around in the Wild Area, I would gladly nix the ability to see them at all in exchange for stable performance.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Mega64 posted:

That's called Strange Journey

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bee posted:

The major thing with Level 5 is that they really are not good at making long-term design decisions. They are basically the video game developer of running a horse until it passes out and dies. It's an ongoing trend with any franchise they have where they make new games with minor additions that usually don't add much to the game and then pump them out so fast people just get sick of them even if they're good games (and frequently new features make them... not.) They often end up getting less polished and more boring with each successive game until L5 drops them and moves onto something else.

Like GameFreak is bad but Level 5 is basically all of GameFreak's excesses taken to 11 with a side of being good at making nice anime graphics and a CEO who is so misogynist that when he made a Gundam series he got into arguments with women on the staff about how implausible and offensive his women were.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Bee posted:

As far as I know some serious technical issues, but don't quote me on that.

Mega64 posted:

:hmmyes:
Edit: I just remembered I never finished Strange Journey

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

jobroskie posted:

Who are you using? I have Orbeetle, Araquanid, Crustle, Ribombee, Centiskorch, and once I evolve my Karrablast, I'll have Escavalier.

If i did it I'd probably do Orbeetle, Crustle, Galvantula, Centiskorch, Frosmoth, and then...Golisopod? But Ribombee is also so good. There's an obscene amount of good bugs in this game. That said the loss of Volcarona and Scolipede hurts...

I'll probably finish this run first though.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I thought YW4 was a top charting game in japan for a while after it came out though? I know sales don't equal quality or anything but that seems a bit at odds.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Maybe its time for Monster Rancher to make a comeback.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I thought YW4 was a top charting game in japan for a while after it came out though? I know sales don't equal quality or anything but that seems a bit at odds.

It was only the top charting game for a single week before it dropped off the chart. Also the merch sales and interest in the characters absolutely died. They closed the Yokai-exclusive stores and the anime apparently got super-wrecked in ratings after (ironically) they changed the catchy theme song that was maybe responsible for its popularity in the first place.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
it's 2030 and the latest Pokedex is comprised only of several hundred forms of Charizard and Pikachu

eevee makes a cameo on the box art

pokemon snap has not been rebooted

Abundant Atrophy
Nov 3, 2012

Gamerofthegame posted:

it never will tho

Well, while a true competitor won't get them like Yokai Watch was poised to do or how Digimon had, here's two monster-obtaining games I heard about in the past couple months.

A doubles-focused MMO take on pokemon, with a more engaging means of battling.

An ambitious hybrid of top-down zelda and monster taming with farming. Similar in only a couple ways but hey, it was funded.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

It was only the top charting game for a single week before it dropped off the chart. Also the merch sales and interest in the characters absolutely died. They closed the Yokai-exclusive stores and the anime apparently got super-wrecked in ratings after (ironically) they changed the catchy theme song that was maybe responsible for its popularity in the first place.

Oh ok, you're right. Thought I read multiple weeks not just a single one. That's a shame. I tried the demo for the first game and didn't really like it but the move from handheld to console seemed good...Shame that I guess didn't turn out well.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Leal posted:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Leal posted:

For a second, my brain thought Monster Rancher was a Konami title (it's Koei Tecmo), and I was afraid this would get the monkey paw a'twitchin' with a Pachislot announcement.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
for real though, Pokemon snap

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

As I recall, Yokai Watch 4 made their own announcement of the game only having like 1/7th as many monsters as the previous game did just a few days before release. Then at launch it had a bunch of really bad glitches like NPCs T-posing and falling through the ground. And now just 6 months later they're re-releasing an enhanced version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Syenite posted:

for real though, Pokemon snap

I'd be down.

Hell, with motion controls it'd be pretty neat.