Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Just watched Schiff's closing statement, and I think it's the first time a politician's speech has actually given me chills.

e:gently caress, sniped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ReidRansom posted:

Maybe, but Pelosi has to go.

People were literally saying the same thing about him before he snarked on Republicans and gave a good speech.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Schiff's Full Closing Statement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4ssrr2OsQ0

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
I hope everyone here who is weeping tears of victory is ready for Mitch McConnell to bury the impeachment in a shallow grave.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Unoriginal Name posted:

I hope everyone here who is weeping tears of victory is ready for Mitch McConnell to bury the impeachment in a shallow grave.

Nobody expects poo poo from the republicans idiot. Myself, I'm just glad the dems are doing their duty.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Unoriginal Name posted:

For real. I’m trying not to feel good about any of this because the republicans on the house intel committee are just a small preview of the circus that McConnell and Graham are about to whip up.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yiggy posted:

For real. I’m trying not to feel good about any of this because the republicans on the house intel committee are just a small preview of the circus that McConnell and Graham are about to whip up.

This is a really lovely way to live. You can be prudent and manage expectations without going full blown "I'm preventing myself from feeling any positive emotions what so over like a tech bro on a dopamine fast".

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Yiggy posted:

same, getting giddy over this is just going to make the circus in the senate all the worse.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009
Let them vote against impeachment and get creamed in 2020.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Solkanar512 posted:

This is a really lovely way to live. You can be prudent and manage expectations without going full blown "I'm preventing myself from feeling any positive emotions what so over like a tech bro on a dopamine fast".

I allow myself plenty of positive emotions where appropriate. This just doesn’t seem to be one of those situations. Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong, it’d be the best bowl of crow I’ve ever eaten. I’d also say that my response to the potential Mattering doesn’t encapsulate my entire way of living.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

drat, that was good.

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

evilweasel posted:

he tried

he failed

It's consistent with their position that it doesn't count if you try and fail

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Unoriginal Name posted:

I mean, yes I actually am quite happy that due to the work of many local activists at least one chamber of the joke we call congress is able to do its, arguably, one most important duty and provide a hard check to the executive, even if they know the other chamber is going to make a fart noise and ignore it. Like, I'm ready for the Senate side to be a complete shitshow that's cripplingly depressing but I'm not gonna poo poo on people glad dem leadership finally decided to find where they were keeping their balls.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

sexpig by night posted:

I mean, yes I actually am quite happy that due to the work of many local activists at least one chamber of the joke we call congress is able to do its, arguably, one most important duty and provide a hard check to the executive, even if they know the other chamber is going to make a fart noise and ignore it. Like, I'm ready for the Senate side to be a complete shitshow that's cripplingly depressing but I'm not gonna poo poo on people glad dem leadership finally decided to find where they were keeping their balls.

I don't get how people are so upset. Trump getting thrown out would be great, in a way, but it also paves the way for Pence, whose actual beliefs are as abhorrent as Trump's, to govern. We had excellent turnout in 2018 and it looks like 2020 is going to be insane. This is campaign ad material, and best of all, it's not just Trump. Every single shithead republican bootlicker has tied themselves to Trump's corruption, and there's a decent possibility of a complete bloodbath in the elections. Lots of this enthusiasm is Trump himself but make no mistake this whole thing is a massive win for the left

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Oracle posted:

I took this as 'compared to my rabidly right wing coal mining family yeah I look like a leftist'

“Letting Thatcher drop a mine on my head to own Labour.”

E: Actually it’s too bad Gillian Anderson is playing Margaret Thatch in the Crown, she’d be a really good Fiona Hill in the inevitable film.

Trump should just be played by real clips of Trump tho.

yronic heroism fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 22, 2019

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Schiff.... Good?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oxsnard posted:

I don't get how people are so upset. Trump getting thrown out would be great, in a way, but it also paves the way for Pence, whose actual beliefs are as abhorrent as Trump's, to govern. We had excellent turnout in 2018 and it looks like 2020 is going to be insane. This is campaign ad material, and best of all, it's not just Trump. Every single shithead republican bootlicker has tied themselves to Trump's corruption, and there's a decent possibility of a complete bloodbath in the elections. Lots of this enthusiasm is Trump himself but make no mistake this whole thing is a massive win for the left

The thing is that Pence is loving awful but probably not "betray our vulnerable allies in a loving tweet" awful. Trump is so off the cuff and insane and so easily manipulated that another year of him in office (even assuming he loses) is a terrifying concept. Especially if he starts doing bad in polls or whatever because he is already freaking the gently caress out.

In theory it would be better for Trump to be a big scary dangerous thing to force turnout in 2020. In actuality I'm not comfortable with the idea of endorsing suffering for all the people Trump is going to massively hurt in the upcoming year on the chance he loses more than Pence would.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

oxsnard posted:

Also, even with that very correct post, even if it wasn't the case the point HAS to be that the president is not above the law just because his party wants him to be. If the house failed their duty to do this the message would be 'all you have to do is make sure you have the senate and you can do whatever you want' and that is, as hard as it to believe, a way loving grimmer future for America than we already are in.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1197658937090285574

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
But if the trial is in the Senate presided by Roberts then they’d have to get them all in to testify right? They can’t escape that if called?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Gatts posted:

But if the trial is in the Senate presided by Roberts then they’d have to get them all in to testify right? They can’t escape that if called?

*spins the big wheel outside the supreme court labeled 'PRECEDENT????'*

Wheel says 'maybe, also gently caress you'.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Gatts posted:

That's probably up to Roberts but I can't imagine a scenario in which he'd let them escape, especially since subpoena power is one of the most important tools in the judicial system

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Schiff's closing statement makes sense if this process is speeding onto the next step

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1197643515834109952

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1197657401031307271

https://twitter.com/TheViewFromLL2/status/1197661684594364417

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Not sure how I feel about this

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000
Will Dems have subpoena power during the Senate trial? Or will McConnell be able to stonewall the entire thing?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Unoriginal Name posted:

The difference now is that (hopefully) Mitch will be burying himself along with it.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

All life, too, must end in death

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

If they exonerate Trump....does it set a precedent or is it just "he's not guilty but if someone else did it it's bad"?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

UnknownTarget posted:

If they exonerate Trump....does it set a precedent or is it just "he's not guilty but if someone else did it it's bad"?

Impeachment is an entirely political exercise, precedent only carries as much weight as the people in office at any given time choose to give it.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

I guess what I was wondering is that if the Senate clears him does it legitimize this behavior for future presidents?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

UnknownTarget posted:

I guess what I was wondering is that if the Senate clears him does it legitimize this behavior for future presidents?

For republican presidents, yes.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
That's up to the House and Senate elected during the times of those future presidents, that's my point. Tradition only goes as far as the current legislators choose to honor it.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NoDamage posted:

Will Dems have subpoena power during the Senate trial? Or will McConnell be able to stonewall the entire thing?

yes, rules already exist

that's be John Roberts' signature where it says "presiding officer" so if requests to subpoena witnesses are approved -- and i'm sure reasonable ones would be -- it's going to be pretty hard to ignore them without being very actively held in contempt

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
They could just change the rules with a simple majority though, right?

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

eke out posted:

yes, rules already exist

that's be John Roberts' signature where it says "presiding officer" so if requests to subpoena witnesses are approved -- and i'm sure reasonable ones would be -- it's going to be pretty hard to ignore them without being very actively held in contempt
What happens when Republicans ignore the subpoena like they already have been doing? Who has the actual authority to enforce the subpoena?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

NoDamage posted:

What happens when Republicans ignore the subpoena like they already have been doing? Who has the actual authority to enforce the subpoena?

again, if someone is ignoring the chief justice of the supreme court's duly authorized subpoenas, they will not get away with it scot-free, they will be hosed

oxsnard posted:

They could just change the rules with a simple majority though, right?

they could "just" change the rules except for the part where they do not have 51 votes for it

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
My hope is that with Roberts presiding as Chief of the Supreme Court and Judge of Impeachment, he is not going to take lightly to people defying or skirting around. Sets bad precedent for future and undermines the court/Justice. It would make him look toothless doof.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

NoDamage posted:

It's the Justice of the Supreme court signing on the subpoena. There's zero percent chance a lower court judge would rule to let you out of it. What are you gonna do, appeal to the supreme Court?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

eke out posted:

they could "just" change the rules except for the part where they do not have 51 votes for it

I saw someone post about that earlier, is that confirmed or just expected? Who are the GOP holdouts?