Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Games generally aren't bad because developers are lazy, dumb, idiots, they're bad because their corporate overlords have allocated precisely not quite enough money, time, and people to the project to put out an unrealistically, ludicrously successful product, and then to top that every year, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

lezard_valeth posted:

2) Where do I get bottlecaps?
3) Where do I change Natures?

Battle Tower

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I think Pokejobs are neat and all, but I really would have liked to see actual quests, which I guess they had in Let’s Go?

Examples:

A kid got their balloon stuck in a tree, so you go use a Pokémon with wings to get it for them.

A girl in town lost her necklace somewhere in an icy cave. You find it and use a Pokémon with a fire move to melt the ice it’s stuck in and give it back.

An elderly person is moving house and you can use a Pokémon that can carry things to help move boxes.

Stuff like that. Just have Pokémon be able to use various field moves. And also, Pokémon following you would be great, And ride Pokémon too. I’d rather gallop through the Wild Area on a Mudsdale or Rapidash than on a bike where I have to wear a stupid cycling outfit.

The Wild Area also needs a mini map, I think, but it could also do with some side areas like hidden cave dungeons or areas to climb. Let me explore a crumbling old castle or some catacombs.

The game is still fun, but these are some things that I really think could help make it shine.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

iospace posted:

Then why the hell did you bring up capitalism in the first place? It's the grasping of straws to bash a game, and how.

It's ok to not like a game. It's not ok to go out of your way to shame people who do enjoy a game, no matter if they think it's the best game ever or "it's good but has flaws", into hating the game (or leaving the thread because they don't want to deal with the negativity). That's what I don't like.

I don't... care? if people like game? Good for them? Please stop casting criticism of game as personal attack on people who like game?

To be entirely clear, if you like the game please keep posting cute fanart.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Syenite posted:

I don't... care? if people like game? Good for them? Please stop casting criticism of game as personal attack on people who like game?

To be entirely clear, if you like the game please keep posting cute fanart.

We can all use some more cute fanart, agreed.

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://www.gameworkersunite.org/

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Pro-click, by the way.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

That being said, they wiffed on the logo:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Blaziken386 posted:

the second major problem with most Monster franchises: they didn't start 20+ years ago. Pokemon is good, yes, but pokemon is so successful because it's successful, if you forgive the circular logic. Digimon was a competitor in the past, but while it's still around (which is more than can be said of some others), it's not exactly relevant.

also, trainer card

0000 0000 6BYD 94

That is true, though a strong competitor could probably actually challenge Pokemon. Yokai Watch came close except for lacking the worldwide appeal it needed to succeed. The problem is that it's hard to have all the things come together to make a great Monster Trainer game, especially if you're not being backed by a giant corporation. Even at its absolute worst Pokemon still has the advantage of having so many hands on deck that it can do things a smaller developer can't.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

I'm thinking I'm going to have to come round here and beg y'all for pokemon with hidden abilities because this raid business just isn't working out. It's unreliable from every loving angle.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

iospace posted:

Is there a "take a screenshot of my trainer card only" button? I'm blind and didn't see it.

For me I just hit the screenshot button, uploaded it and cropped out the card bit.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flopsy posted:

I'm thinking I'm going to have to come round here and beg y'all for pokemon with hidden abilities because this raid business just isn't working out. It's unreliable from every loving angle.

e: :lol:
https://twitter.com/CParrotLady/status/1197614143525675008

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

How is the difficulty in this game compared to gen’s 6 and 7?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Kart Barfunkel posted:

Game is easy and you will outlevel by 10 levels if you stray one toe from the road.

Some raids may require people bringing specific Pokemons (like the Clefable/Malamar ones from the twitter on my previous post)

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Kart Barfunkel posted:

In game difficulty is pretty good. if you ever feel under leveled just go to the wild area raid and grind for a bit. Post game shiny/hidden ability pokemon hunting is a big dripping bag of dog poo poo though. Have fun getting kicked off a server five times in a row.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Kart Barfunkel posted:

It can either be braindead easy or probably the hardest in the franchise depending on how addicted to the wilds and grinding you get.

The routes are absurdly short and there's not a lot of trainers to fight in this game (seriously I think there's only 3 swimmers in the entire game and like, a single artist type) so you get outpaced level wise easily if your cycling things in. Leon, the champion also has a highly competitive team and is probably the hardest champion in the series. The game is difficult.

But if you do a lot of raids and whatnot you can crush the level curve beneath your heel in mere moments if you just gorge on candy and don't switch anything out ever.

That's how I felt about it anyway

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Wait, Leon is even nastier than Cynthia?

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Apparently the Obstagoon raid is also hard. I'mma have a blast breeding pokes to bring to these specific raids

https://twitter.com/ScraftyDevil/status/1197670371962413057

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

SirSamVimes posted:

Leon nearly wiped me. He does live up to the hype of "unbeatable champion".

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

SirSamVimes posted:

He is a goddamn monster

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
My favorite story fight was probably the Dragon type gym, because it used legit strategies and also the little snake would try to paralyze your dynamaxed pokes to try to stall you out if. There should have been more doubles Dynamax battles.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

iospace posted:

Is there a "take a screenshot of my trainer card only" button? I'm blind and didn't see it.
no, I took a screenshot, shared it to twitter, used waifu2x to upscale it, and then cropped out everything else.

Kart Barfunkel posted:

if you use a 6 team members, it's probably about as easy as gen 6. However, if you occasionally swap out team members (you can box pokemon anywhere), the difficulty is about the same as gen 7, maybe slightly more difficult - there's a difficulty spike around halfway through the story if you keep pace with the wild pokemon level curve. Bea, the fighting gym leader, kicked my rear end the first go 'round.

edit - also, re: raids and candies, you should definitely only give them to your team members sparingly, ie, if you need to catch up a new addition. That being said, it's a good strategy to basically use all of them on some pokemon whose sole purpose is raids/catching pokemon

Blaziken386 fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Nov 22, 2019

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Apparently the Obstagoon raid is also hard. I'mma have a blast breeding pokes to bring to these specific raids

https://twitter.com/ScraftyDevil/status/1197670371962413057

Oh sweet jesus no......

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The hardest raid is trying to get a gigantomax pokemon in a ball that looks good for it

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

0000 0007 48PG M3

Someday maybe I will actually properly explore the card options in depth instead of messing with face/pose a little and mostly leaving it at that because the default background matched my color scheme.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flopsy posted:

Oh sweet jesus no......

Defiant so that it gets +4 Attack when you break a shield, Obstruct to stall and punish any contact move with -2 defense (guaranteeing a OHKO if aforementioned +4 happened), 14 shields in total...

:getin:

Internet Kraken posted:

The hardest raid is trying to get a gigantomax pokemon in a ball that looks good for it

Yeah, I'm one of those nutters that wants all their main team Pokes to be in a regular Pokeball, but man are the gigantamax catch rates low :/ Beast Ball Gigantamax pokes are gonna be worth more than any event pokemon ever

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Is there a good write up of how dynamax works in online battles and it relevancy to comp play? I've heard all sorts of conflicting info about it and I'm wondering what is true and what isn't.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Defiant so that it gets +4 Attack when you break a shield, Obstruct to stall and punish any contact move with -2 defense (guaranteeing a OHKO if aforementioned +4 happened), 14 shields in total...

:getin:

Yeah, I'm one of those nutters that wants all their main team Pokes to be in a regular Pokeball, but man are the gigantamax catch rates low :/ Beast Ball Gigantamax pokes are gonna be worth more than any event pokemon ever

I can handle that poo poo, it's the idea that the connection's going to fart out because the battle will take too long.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Mwuhahaha, I made a tanky Togekiss and now I can solo every raid by myself and keep these dumb npcs alive, take that lovely matchmaking.

SpaceCadetBob
Dec 27, 2012
Lol just caught a lvl 70 gmax, hidden ability swiftswim, drednaw with perfect ivs in everything but HP. Fucker is already lvl 100 i love xp candies so much.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
on the difficulty; I basically swept through the entire game, felt pretty confident about my team's level and power in every encounter, and then Leon walked up and showed me why he's called The Unbeatable Champion

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
wait, Gorilla Tactics and Choice Band stack??? :drat:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

So how do i make my knight bird even better? What nature/moves should I be aiming for?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Just curious but are the pokemon that show up in your raid dens randomized or are there certain areas that spawn certain pokemon because I'm starting to get real tired of sandacondas. BTW I've captured at least two gigantamax pokemon and would be willing to trade them for something with a hidden ability.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Flopsy posted:

Just curious but are the pokemon that show up in your raid dens randomized or are there certain areas that spawn certain pokemon because I'm starting to get real tired of sandacondas. BTW I've captured at least two gigantamax pokemon and would be willing to trade them for something with a hidden ability.

pseudo-random, or both. A given den has a spawn pool that it'll draw from.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

Flopsy posted:

Each Den has a list of Pokemons it can spawn, and it has a common or a rare table from which it can pull (Rare is the more impressive looking swirly vortex).

Example: https://www.serebii.net/pokearth/galar/stonywilderness.shtml

Rare Den 66 will always spawn Ditto

Giga-Machamp and Giga-Gengar will only spawn from rare den 81 depending on your version

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

https://twitter.com/aloud_creative/status/1196522843984429056?s=20

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

absolutely anything posted:

even if this were true itt which i don't think it is, the people bending over backwards to go "no its GREAT everythings GREAT what do you people WANT" to literally any sort of criticism are equally as insufferable as the lunatics complaining about tree textures or whatever

late because i was working but uh

i don't think i've seen a single person in this thread say everything is great, if nothing else it seems everyone has some criticism for the game, it's more just a matter of "are you really gonna let yourself die on this hill over xyz issue instead of enjoy the game warts and all" and i think that's a lot of the core issue here

Bleck posted:

on the difficulty; I basically swept through the entire game, felt pretty confident about my team's level and power in every encounter, and then Leon walked up and showed me why he's called The Unbeatable Champion

I'm seriously intrigued by this. I have been pretty overleveled so far but there have been a couple tense moments so far, nothing unmanageable by any means-- but a Champion that's actually not a cakewalk sounds really interesting.

Live Free
Jan 5, 2019

by VideoGames
how come local trading isn't working in this fantastic game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Look, I really wanna get into the habit of making shinymon and vegging out.

How can I get my hands on a foreign ditto to do so. Just open up a million trades and pray I find someone wanting the same thing? Or can any goons help me out here :downs: