Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nope

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

toiletbrush posted:

I've got a question.

About 20 years ago there was a jar of spicy noodle (I think?) sauce you could buy in the UK that was loving delicious, but I've not been able to find it since, and have forgotten exactly what it was. It's a massive long shot but if some goon can point me in the right direction my mouth (but not my rear end) will be eternally grateful.

It might have been Chinese, or Thai, I'm leaning towards Thai, came in a short fat glass jar that looked similar to Lee Kum Kee's. You just stirred about a tablespoon or two's worth into noodles, and that was basically it - you could add other stuff if you wanted to but you didn't need to. It was a fairly light colour, possibly yellow-ish, and had lots of bits in it, more of a sauce than a paste but still quite thick. In terms of flavour, it was like the delicious background flavour that a lot of other sauces and pastes have but brought to the front and really strong, quite a dry flavour but a tiny bit sour too. It was possibly a bit yellow/black beany but much stronger, a bit like a satay sauce but without the peanut flavour. No fish or oyster sauce flavour.

Has anyone got the faintest idea what I might be talking about?

This the sort of thing?

https://www.orientalmart.co.uk/hd-signature-sauce-for-rice-

No idea if it's been around for 20 years though

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
so I'm doing.... something.

Got a whole beef shank, quartered it up to fit in a pot. In pot with beef shank I added:

sichuan peppercorns
star anise
garlic
ginger
green onions
white pepper
some rock sugar
a little chou hu paste
a little pixian doubanjiang
a bit of shanxi vinegar
tons of light soy
water to cover

gonna braise all that for a couple hours then cube it up with some beef broth soup, some of these noodles https://www.amazon.com/Hsin-Tung-Sliced-Noodle-14-1oz/dp/B01M6DZUC3, baby bok choy and garnish with more green onion and maybe some chili oil.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What can I do with leftover garlic chives? I chop them up and pour oil over them in hot vinegar and oil wontons/dumplings like I do garlic and chili flakes, but there’s way too much left over to reasonably use up.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

What can I do with leftover garlic chives? I chop them up and pour oil over them in hot vinegar and oil wontons/dumplings like I do garlic and chili flakes, but there’s way too much left over to reasonably use up.

I pickle mine, but I have them growing along my fence line. Regular vinegar pickling recipe and boil to seal the jars. Might have added garlic or grape leaves too.

They are softer when pickled but taste great.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
They are good stir fried with pork or tofu and freeze reasonably well.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I know this is the Chinese thread, but they make pretty delicious kimchi

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Casu Marzu posted:

I know this is the Chinese thread, but they make pretty delicious kimchi

we call it paocai over here

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Chinese Cooking Demystified ran a piece today on Lao Gan Ma, the grandmother chili crisp. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkTQTS2RSCU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The only mystery about Lao Gan Ma is why I can't buy it by the 5 gallon pail.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
can I get threads top 3 recommendations for variations of lao gan ma to try? there seems to be 10 kinds

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

the lao gan ma factory is supposedly like a god tier job in china and they generally only hire locals and the wages + benefits are really good. also the titular lao gan ma herself is super nice and knits sweaters for her employees to give them as birthday presents, which she supposedly remembers herself.

i usually keep 2 bottles of laoganma on tap, the dou chi one and then either the original (香辣脆油辣椒)and the beef one。

douchi I normally use in more sauces and while cooking, and the original i use as topping.

e: here are some pictures

dou chi

og chili crisp:

the beef one which actually is the one I see most often here in china:

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Nov 20, 2019

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I like the one with peanuts.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

There's a beef one!!!???!!!

We normally see the chili crisp, hot chili sauce (with the tofu cubes and soybeans in it), fried chili in oil, black bean, and the mushroom one.

I can also get the angry lady hotpot mix, which had become my go to for home hotpot.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There's a whole bunch and they're all good. There's one with strips of I think pork which was one of my favorites, and one with chicken bits and peanuts. I'm really sad I haven't been able to find any variety here.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I tend to use the black bean one but I'm also never sure if/when it actually expires. I kind of work on the principle that it's basically immortal unless it has a fuzz or smells off.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

That's accurate. The beans themselves will never go bad and the sauce is just oil and dry poo poo. It will never go bad, but the fat can go rancid eventually. Still safe to eat but gross. If you keep it in the fridge you will extend that time long enough it's unlikely you'll ever encounter it.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

They are good stir fried with pork or tofu and freeze reasonably well.

Really? I stir fried them with some dumplings and they turned tough and stringy.

Jhet posted:

I pickle mine, but I have them growing along my fence line. Regular vinegar pickling recipe and boil to seal the jars. Might have added garlic or grape leaves too.

They are softer when pickled but taste great.

Pickling sounds cool. Might even go well with the dumplings...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Pollyanna posted:

Really? I stir fried them with some dumplings and they turned tough and stringy.

Probably overcooked. Jiucai need like 15 seconds on the heat at most.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Pollyanna posted:

Pollyanna posted:

Mine get stringy when they’ve been left to grow toward flowering.

I’ve diced them in place of scallions for dumpling filling too. They taste pretty good in a lot of things. My only hatred is that they grow so well that if you don’t cut them before they seed the birds and squirrels and everything will plant them everywhere. My other hatred is they were allowed to do that before we moved in, so I’m forever digging them out.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They are a classic part of any dumpling filling, yeah. Better than green onions if you got 'em. Pork and jiucai is the Ur Dumpling.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yeah, I recall chopping them up when I made wontons (the ones I made by hand were way better than the ones you get from lovely restaurants btw I might as well make them all myself).

Sliced them into ~2in pieces, did a 1:3 water:vinegar brine with some salt, and put them in one of these:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I was in Taiwan for a while during the summer, and there's a particular kind of tofu I ate a lot of while I was over there. I've been trying to find it in the US but I don't know what it's called. It's very firm, sliced thin, and served as a side dish or at buffets. Can anyone tell me what this is called or how to make it? You can see it in this picture between the rice and the bowl of kimchi:

And in this one at the front of the plate, next to the greens:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Pretty sure its this:

"dry/gan/5 spice tofu' most of the way down the seriouseats article. Also called Pressed Tofu maybe?

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/06/shopping-cooking-guide-different-tofu-types.html

Should be easy to find at an asian grocery store, is refrigerated, I usually see it near refrigerated pickled stuff, fresh noodles.

Might be easy to miss if you didnt know what to look for since its sometimes quite dark on the outside from being marinated or whatever they do to it, but the inside is white and tofu-y, quite dense, little chewy.

Here's a wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dougan

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Nov 28, 2019

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I love that stuff. We always have a package or two in the fridge.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for dougan next time I'm at the local Asian market.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

toiletbrush posted:

I've got a question.

About 20 years ago there was a jar of spicy noodle (I think?) sauce you could buy in the UK that was loving delicious, but I've not been able to find it since, and have forgotten exactly what it was. It's a massive long shot but if some goon can point me in the right direction my mouth (but not my rear end) will be eternally grateful.

It might have been Chinese, or Thai, I'm leaning towards Thai, came in a short fat glass jar that looked similar to Lee Kum Kee's. You just stirred about a tablespoon or two's worth into noodles, and that was basically it - you could add other stuff if you wanted to but you didn't need to. It was a fairly light colour, possibly yellow-ish, and had lots of bits in it, more of a sauce than a paste but still quite thick. In terms of flavour, it was like the delicious background flavour that a lot of other sauces and pastes have but brought to the front and really strong, quite a dry flavour but a tiny bit sour too. It was possibly a bit yellow/black beany but much stronger, a bit like a satay sauce but without the peanut flavour. No fish or oyster sauce flavour.

Has anyone got the faintest idea what I might be talking about?

UK as well here. I think that was probably one of the Blue Dragon sauces, particularly sounds like Yellow Bean sauce, you can get a proper version in any Chinese supermarket

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I haven't perused every page is this thread but I'm sure this had been she'd ago I apologise in advance. Can someone recommend a particular wok to buy, say of Amazon? Or an I good to go as long as I stick to carbon steel?

Also, for my fellow Seattle-ites (I actually live further north) where are my best options for Asian ingredients? Further north the better but I'm willing to make the occasional pilgrimage into the city if needed ( I live near Everett). I also work in Bothell so anything closer to there is great as well.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
I've never been there but Evergreen Asian Market seems like the place to go for Chinese ingredients. You asked for "Asian" ingredients but I think you might want to be more specific - the Pacific Northwest has large enough Asian populations of various kinds such that you hardly limit yourself to one place for all your "Asian" needs.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

vulturesrow posted:

Also, for my fellow Seattle-ites (I actually live further north) where are my best options for Asian ingredients? Further north the better but I'm willing to make the occasional pilgrimage into the city if needed ( I live near Everett). I also work in Bothell so anything closer to there is great as well.

There’s a Ranch 99 in Shorline/Edmonds, that’s probably less offensive than driving into the ID for Uwajimaya.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

H-Mart in Lynnwood is my go-to.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I've never been there but Evergreen Asian Market seems like the place to go for Chinese ingredients. You asked for "Asian" ingredients but I think you might want to be more specific - the Pacific Northwest has large enough Asian populations of various kinds such that you hardly limit yourself to one place for all your "Asian" needs.

Yeah I was afraid that night be a little too general. Mostly looking for Japanese and Chinese ingredient. I'll definitely check out Evergreen.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
evergreen market is ok, i think they focus on chinese moreso than korean or japanese. it's also not as cheap or anywhere as expansive as h-mart. if you just need one or two items they will probably have what you need but it wont be the cheapest.

h-mart is a shitshow rn due to christmas traffic.

the soup shop next door is goooood

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

BraveUlysses posted:

evergreen market is ok, i think they focus on chinese moreso than korean or japanese. it's also not as cheap or anywhere as expansive as h-mart. if you just need one or two items they will probably have what you need but it wont be the cheapest.

h-mart is a shitshow rn due to christmas traffic.

the soup shop next door is goooood

Have you tried that Katsu Burger joint in that plaza (with H-Mart)? I'm sort of intrigued by it but haven't tried it out yet.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

i made a bomb rear end gong bao chicken the other day that finally replicated my favorite restaurants in Chengdu, with a thick almost sweet sauce that sticks to everything and isn't sitting in a pool of oil and liquid.

The trick was to randomly do everything without measuring anything making it hard to replicate, but it was v good.

the one weird thing was I was out of dried chilies so I just added ground dried chilies I DID have with the aromatics. this made it spicier than it normally would be but was still v. nice.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Have you tried that Katsu Burger joint in that plaza (with H-Mart)? I'm sort of intrigued by it but haven't tried it out yet.

its loving amazing, try it

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Jhet posted:

I recently ordered one from thewokshop. https://www.wokshop.com/newstore/product/chopping-block/

I'll let you know how it is when I get it, but it's just been brought down from the mountain where their source cuts them and is currently very wet and heavy. So they're shipping it hopefully this week when it's had a chance to dry a bit. I'm just going to soak it in food safe oil when it gets here so that it doesn't split on me. You could go with any end-grain cutting board, or even long grain wood would be better for your knives than plastic.

I also ordered a couple of their cheap carbon steel cleavers because they're pretty cheap.

diving back a bit here, how are the woks from this place? In the market for a new one and came across this. Is there any compelling reason I'd want one material over another?

also, how long is suimiyacai good for?

THE MACHO MAN fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Dec 23, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

THE MACHO MAN posted:

diving back a bit here, how are the woks from this place? In the market for a new one and came across this. Is there any compelling reason I'd want one material over another?

also, how long is suimiyacai good for?

if you bought one of those little packets it'll have a best by time (normally in china things are stamped with the production date and then an expiration time, 1 year, 90 days, etc...), but cuz its preserved it's probably basically good until you see actual mold on it or it smells weird.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've never had a bag go bad. I wouldn't worry about it. I've had one open in the fridge at least six months and it's fine so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Yeah I dumped it in a ziplock and forgot to keep the original bag in. I assumed it was okay, but wanted to double check. Thanks!