Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

ungulateman posted:

also team preview sucks and we should go back to having a lead pokemon metagame so i can use bullet punch machamp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?

straya mate posted:

Approximately at what level are goons beating the game?

My team average was probably in the late 50s I only reset once to do the final battle but I also failed to guess an obvious thing about what I was going into.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And also gen 2 kantonhad gently caress all to do in it outside of old gym leaders tomfight.so you might as well just bring the PwT back and save the dev time making a bunch of empty loving towns.

I feel like everyone's memories of how cool it was to go back to Kanto sort of cloud over the part where it was super barebones and only kind of resembled the original region

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Araxxor posted:

I got the joke behind gym 7, but that was still not really engaging to play. And Piers' intro scene was um. Way to have a concert style intro with absolutely no voice acting or a new song of some kind?

Here comes my spiciest post: remember when bw2 had lyrics 8 years ago, on the original DS.

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord
re: difficulty: I'm only up to the first gym town so far but my team has somehow become 5+ levels above the trainer battles' mons just from catching exp, I've barely used the exp candies at all (and I don't even catch every mon on a route)

edit: e.g., "Oh cool time for a rival battle with Bede! ...oh his level 13-15 mons just get oneshot by my level 20 team :effort:"

Zyxyz fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Nov 22, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blockhouse posted:

I feel like everyone's memories of how cool it was to go back to Kanto sort of cloud over the part where it was super barebones and only kind of resembled the original region

Hey its kanto except most of the dungeons are now like one room areas and we deleted and entire town and theres even less story than the johto plot somehow!

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Eimi posted:

Hi so I'm absolutely at a stuck spot of my own creation, because every time I try and think about what team I want and that I want it to be "good" means I stop when I get into this mood and fail to move on. So I'm hoping the thread can offer some insight into how to push this square peg into a round hole.

My current team is Cinderace, Corviknight, Sirfetch'd, Gardevoir, Vileplume, and Dubwool. However I'm thinking of swapping Dubwool out for more coverage, something ice or water and special attacking as I'm heavy on physical attacks. I was thinking Glaceon, as I've never used it before, and it's very cute. And then it can learn the ice move that destroys water types, so that got me thinking I could swap Vileplume for something else, notably something good against Fire as that's a giant hole in my line up. But I'm nowhere near closer to sorting out a team now than I am before. My go to ground types are Mamoswine or Excadrill, and I already have that typing and both are physical. I suppose I could then go water, but the best water special attacker in my mind is good ol Vaporeon. Barraskuda looks great as physical but I'm not sold on it's looks or how my team would end up looking.

How about Jellicent? It's more of a defensive pokemon, but it's a special-based water type.

Edit: Jellicent is a pompous noble so get a male and name it Ferdinand.

Genovera fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Nov 22, 2019

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kanto in HGSS was super cool and good.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

BlazetheInferno posted:

Quick question: Is there an actual use for Tiny/Big Mushrooms in Sw/Sh besides selling them?

This is a few pages back but never got answered. I've got tons of these things sitting around and I have no idea if there's any actual use for them or if they're just vendor fodder this time around. I know they took heart scales off of the Move relearner, but...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Kanto in HGSS was super cool and good.

Then you're playing HGSS so everything but the gym leaders were like 30 levels lower than you but you at least had the special physical split.

Gen 2 was a bad game and the remakes fixed almost none of its problems.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

One thing I do miss: sub-regional dexes and pages for the families.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Replaying Soul Silver has been great fun [gets torn in half by bugsy's scyther because i had the temerity to sink a bunch of xp into hoothoot, the slowest leveling and worst pokemon in existence] ah.

honestly the only egregiously bad part of HGSS is clair being >10 levels higher than all the wild pokemon near her. if you want/need to train your team before fighting her, you're stuck fighting level 25 graveler to prepare for a...is her kingdra 38 or 40? either way jesus christ.

also the area before the safari zone is obviously designed to try and soften the level curve, similar to the sevii islands in FRLG, except all the pokemon there are also level 25 because you go there around the same time you fight chuck.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Kanto was cool to see in GS since the franchise was a lot younger back then, so its flaws were more forgivable.

HGSS not fixing some of Kanto's bigger problems is a lot less so.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Araxxor posted:

Kanto was cool to see in GS since the franchise was a lot younger back then, so its flaws were more forgivable.

HGSS not fixing some of Kanto's bigger problems is a lot less so.

It coming out in the same gen as platinum a game that mostly fixes a subpar pokegames flaws while not fixing anything and in fact adding a bunch of stupid new poo poo (Holy poo poo the safari zone lol) is still entirely baffling.

But then Black and white came out and so I guess I'm saying is as rough and weirdly finished/halfed rear end a lot of sword and shield feel maybe the next poo poo will be insanely good.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Then you're playing HGSS so everything but the gym leaders were like 30 levels lower than you but you at least had the special physical split.

It's the most interesting "bad" game of all. The level curve is absolutely hosed, and they shortchange you the pretty new pokemon for the most part. But it's so packed with style and content it's still a ton of people's favorite. If the level curve and pokemon distribution had been fixed, it would be an 11/10 game.

Not sure what my point is, but Pokemon is fascinating.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Sword/Shield feel like middle of the road Pokemon games to me. They don't reach the highs of Black/White or Ruby/Sapphire nor do they reach the depths of X/Y and Diamond/Pearl.

I stand by my initial thought of these are the best Pokemon games since Black/White.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I didn't particularly enjoy the parts of Moon that I played so I passed on the Ultra games, but I think I'll do the opposite for SwSh, assuming we get a Dyna Sword / Max Shield or whatever dumb naming scheme they'll come up with for these ones.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

It's the most interesting "bad" game of all. The level curve is absolutely hosed, and they shortchange you the pretty new pokemon for the most part. But it's so packed with style and content it's still a ton of people's favorite. If the level curve and pokemon distribution had been fixed, it would be an 11/10 game.

i legitimately cannot loving believe that after releasing platinum, the game where they identified that they had literally three fire types in the entire region and fixed that problem

they locked houndour in mount silver in hgss

how

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Is there a reason people hate on X/Y? I agree that Diamond/Pearl are miserable but remember Gen 6 as being pretty ok :shobon:

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Here comes my spiciest post: remember when bw2 had lyrics 8 years ago, on the original DS.

Yeah, I actually really liked gym 7. It being so basic bitch compared to the other gyms really sold the idea of it being part of a struggling small town with zero money, and the jokes about classic beat em' up were genuinely funny. However, not giving Piers an actual song was a real let down, it would have elevated the whole experience.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Okay what style are you talking about because people keep saying that about HGSS and like every route and zone is the most generic cave or field with the exception of like 2 towns.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

I think this is probably the most baffling opinion that I've seen in this thread and that's including the weird takes on gen 8. :gonk:

It's not perfect but the worst I can say about it is that the levels aren't the most balanced. Kanto's a bit unpolished but that's because it was a miracle they fit that much into the game to begin with.

Kirios posted:

Sword/Shield feel like middle of the road Pokemon games to me. They don't reach the highs of Black/White or Ruby/Sapphire nor do they reach the depths of X/Y and Diamond/Pearl.

I stand by my initial thought of these are the best Pokemon games since Black/White.

I can agree with this. I feel like Sword/Shield are kind of a point of transition-- Game Freak dipping their feet in the water for this new generation. I really like SwSh! But I feel like what flaws it has will probably be addressed in the "definitive" release if they're still doing those, or in gen 9. Lord knows there'll be an even more monumental backlash if it isn't utterly flawless.

Mef989 posted:

Is there a reason people hate on X/Y? I agree that Diamond/Pearl are miserable but remember Gen 6 as being pretty ok :shobon:

The pacing made SwSh's pacing look like an act of brilliance and the plot was also pretty meh. Personally I just didn't care much for the vast majority of the gen 6 pokemon aside from the fairy types. Delphox and Greninja were pretty cool too I guess.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mef989 posted:

Its a pretty big "growing pains" game. I don't think its bad but its a step down from B/W in terms of overall design. But it brought a ton of cool stuff to the table and its worth remembering that its the first time we got to play through a proper Pokemon game and see all these mons in 3D.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

straya mate posted:

Approximately at what level are goons beating the game?

My team was around level 65-70, but I tried to capture every new mon I could find when entering a new area, and also spent a lot of time in the pokecamp making curry

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Mef989 posted:

Thank you for inviting me to effort post on XY!

So! Wanna start with the positives: doubling the amount of available pokemon is a sick move. We're mostly used to it now, but back then it was mindblowing how wide the early 'mon selection was. Made getting a good team early super doable and exciting.

Battle speed was acceptable. Worse than Gen 5, but better than 4. And this huge spread of pokemon selection made for really good trainer battles in routes and gyms. The rock gym had all sorts of rock duos; people with solrock and lunatone, or kabuto and omanyte, and so on. They were paced really well for the first half, and okay for the second.

Customization is sick and welcome. Getting to pet pokemon is that, too, and getting a battle bonus for that? sick.

Those 3 points are the bread and butter of pokemon. It's what you're actually doing 85% of the time and they nail it. Which makes this bad 15% really sour things:

The plot is boring. It's some silicon valley rear end in a top hat trying to genocide the lower class like every news article from the real world. There could be some cool stuff there, since he owns the holocaster which you constantly use and there's an E4 member who is a newscaster and under his thumb, but nothing gets done. The story is presented in the most barebones pokemon way, where the evil team overtakes a facility, you defeat them, and wait for another go.

The bosses are all very weak. Gym leaders with 3 pokemon. Most friends have like 2 or 3? Your main rival gets most of their matches in the middle stretch, so you defeat the exact same team three times in a row. E4 is stuck with 4 'mons each. Mega Evolution is locked to 2 bosses. It's simply not satisfying. Regular battles are fun, but the bosses don't up the ante, so there doesn't feel like there's any reward to reaching them. And the narrative also makes them boring. And you're given megas a third of the wya in, which lets you really gently caress with any perceived difficulty.

Routes just get super tiny halfway through, and there's one too many instances of places that seem to be a thing, but are just... not. Victory Road is thankfully still pretty good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I don't remember a single thing about gen 2 except all the stuff that came rushing back as soon as I started this sentence.

Wow, that was an experience.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

turning a big dial taht says "Features" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Mef989 posted:

It's a lot like SwSh in that theres a lot of like...implied things in the setting that they never really flesh out (That big weird crystal tied to the mega stones everything about zygarde the other power plants basically everything post badge 6) and is filled with characters with no or less than no personality that constantly interrupt you and basically never give you a moment to yourself ever. The new stuff like megas were showcased with old poo poo. the kanto pokes were given huge focus to the point the game gives you a kanto starter from the professor as a second starter and that's probably the first mega you're gonna be able to use. The story is incredibly bare bones especially coming from Gen 5 and the overall cast is largely forgettable to the point that I think like half the gym leaders dont exist in the story outside of like 3 sentences right before you battle them and also they mostly all are just super boring like the grass leader holy poo poo (Which again sucks coming from gen 5 where the whole league was reoccurring side characters that tied into you and your rivals arcs and actually assisted you in dealing with Team Plasma).

Basically a lot of stuff a platinum style Z version could have fixed but instead we got Oras which Owned.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Nov 22, 2019

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

Mef989 posted:

they're very easy even compared to the rest of the series because of a combination of being handed a bunch of busted rear end pokemon like mega lucario and also the level curve is not even remotely balanced around the super-buffed xp share.

the routes are a bit more linear than usual, but they're blander on top of that. cutting HMs down to a bare minimum was good, but they also removed a lot of the interesting spots behind those sorts of barriers. there's a bunch of rocks with nothing but empty space and a mega stone behind them. also the entire region is a giant circle that you go in one big line around, and it doesn't have a plot that's as strong as B/W to carry that.

the story has some interesting concepts but they're executed insanely badly, even by pokemon standards. this is not helped by the prose being dreadful, especially in contrast with gen 4 and 5 which actually read pretty well (although b/w2's prose and plot are also pretty bad). team flare is a joke and lysandre is a terrible halfhouse compromise between a standard scenery-chewing pokemon villain and one of the more subtle 'twist' bad guys.

most of the environments look kind of crap. the move away from sprites to models isn't too bad for the most part, but a lot of the routes just look and feel incredibly bare. the color palette for things that aren't pokemon is also slightly off, imo.

there's a bunch of stuff that feels deliberately incomplete so that a platinum-like 'Z' can come back to, most notably everything to do with Zygarde.

on a technical level, the game just straight up dies in fights with more than two pokemon, or if you dare to turn the 3d on (but why would you?).

on the flipside, the new pokemon are generally fantastic, the variety of pokemon you get to choose between is even better, the busted xp curve lets you catch a new pokemon and actually have a good shot of using it soonish without a ton of grinding, and mega evolution is :krad:. IMO they're the games most similar to sword and shield, and for pretty similar reasons.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I finally ran into a move I care about them removing: Me First

It was a hilarious move on Accelgor. It let him OHKO other fast Pokemon weak to their own moves. It was never a top tier thing but I had tons of fun with it and taking it out makes me sad.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

And then the Zygarde poo poo got put into sun Moon instead

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

How do people around here feel about Gen 7 then? I have a very low opinion if it, it's a very convoluted plot, the new Pokemon suck and half are legendaries, and my boy Guzma doesn't get nearly the amount of screen time he deserves. It may be my least favorite generation.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I never finished Moon. There was just way too much exposition and cutscenes and while I like Lillie a lot, I just struggled to give a drat about the story and honestly, having to stop for the cutscenes so often kinda broke me. I don't play Pokemon for story and never have, I just wanna grind up my hypercute murderbeasts and steamroll people. Team Skull is cool. I liked a lot of the new Pokemon too, and Alolan forms were really nice imo. Aesthetically I like the game and I always intended to go back to it... but eh.

I consider it above average in many respects but it still doesn't hold me like gens 2/1/3 do.

Framboise fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Nov 22, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Kirios posted:

How do people around here feel about Gen 7 then? I have a very low opinion if it, it's a very convoluted plot, the new Pokemon suck and half are legendaries, and my boy Guzma doesn't get nearly the amount of screen time he deserves. It may be my least favorite generation.

It's the best gen overall and sun/moon are close to B/W in quality. The story has like 2 plots going at once and is still a game for literal babies so calling it convoluted is just weird. The UBs are all amazing and the rest of the new pokes are all top tier designs. The cast is probably the best overall and Team Skull are perfect idiot children and Guzma is My Boy.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Kirios posted:

Its my favorite gen. I don't think the story is amazing but its the closest Pokemon has come to having a plot I cared about. Its got some great theming, great designs, and lovely music. I was very satisfied when I played it, though like all modern gens I wish it had a better post-game battle tower.

I was super criticial of a lot of the stuff in Gen 7 up until release but ended up loving most of it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Framboise posted:

I never finished Moon. There was just way too much exposition and cutscenes

Saying this while praising SwSh is absolutely baffling. There have been at least a dozen times where a cutscene would start in Sword be a long convo that ends with another character waving you over to a spot 6 geet away where another cutscene starts. Its legit been the worst pokemon game with that stopping and starting to so exposition/talk at you. To the point that when plot things happen off screen you talk to people who then leave you to do the interesting bits off screen

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

mostly what i remember of moon is there being a lot of long, unskippable cutscenes, whereas if i'm replaying bw2 and i want to ignore all the dumb bullshit the idiots are saying i can just mash A until they let me move again. given that swsh is apparently just as bad if not worse about this, i'm happy to hold off on buying them for the time being.

also for me at least, the game runs like absolute dogshit on a regular 3ds, which is apparently due to having the trainer models in battle?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

It's a bad, bad JRPG plot told in a very poor way. It's hard for me to take it seriously at all. I dare you to try to replay those games, it is an absolute cutscene hell of a game.

Z-Moves sucked, the meta being so terrain dominated sucked, the dirtiest sucked, the trials sucked. Slow, boring, meandering game that I only finished because it had the Pokemon name on it and I regret doing that.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

You can still mash a thru sun moons talk scenes like the old games and even with the framerates issues it still ran better/faster then the gen 4 games which I'm pretty sure were killing the original ds to drain those hp bars even slower.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

oh yeah the part where they saw fairies were utterly dominant in gen 6 and then doubled down by making four new legendary fairies with meta-defining abilities was pretty...let's say interesting

also i have kind of lost track of all the secondary effects types have that gen 7 added. dark types have native infiltrator, ghost types can't be trapped, grass types can't be spored, what else am i missing? and then there are the terrain effects on top of that. electric terrain prevents sleep???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Kirios posted:

It's up there for me. The change of gyms to trials gives a very nice aesthetic to them (and the Fire and Ghost ones are my favorite dungeons in a long, long time), i adore all the new pokemon, removal of HMs makes using pokemon more fun, totem pokemon are great, and the story is really nice and personal.
The relentless cutscenes mean i'm not replaying any time soon, the islands' layouts were kinda disappointing since I thought they would all be closer to Poni Island, all the other UBs just being in the post-game is kinda weak when the pokedex is so limited.

Then there's Gen 7 as a whole. Ultra versions a single year later is gross. LGPE is interesting, and kinda fun, but direly needed another year in production to really cement its own ideas.

Very good new entry, rest of the gen got me to be leery of pokemon, and that's why I don't got Sword yet.