Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Zero VGS posted:

All the stats allude to each having a downside when they are specced too high, I assumed as a kind of counterbalance to the "15 in everything" powergaming mentality, but I don't think it was actually implemented in game? I had like 10 in Volition and it didn't seem to have any downside.

Authority and Electrochemistry have pretty noticeable voices at high levels but they never actually make you do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The high stats have downsides thing is mostly just flavor. Most of the stats give you highly biased and occasionally outright bad advice and you get more of it the more you spec into them, that's about it. Works fine I think

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

No Mods No Masters posted:

The high stats have downsides thing is mostly just flavor. Most of the stats give you highly biased and occasionally outright bad advice and you get more of it the more you spec into them, that's about it. Works fine I think

You get a couple points where you might take a -1 to a roll because one of your skills is really mad you're thinking of trying it. I remember Suggestion tried to make me hesitate in punching Measurehead.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Neat thread of posts by at least one of the devs:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52246.0

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Hah, nice. From the devs:

quote:

This is a special screenshot for us, showing our redesigned dialogue engine in action. It’s called the Feld (short for Feld Playback Experiment).

The Feld is a highly advanced tape computer, a prototype lost during the turn-of-the-century Revolution. The machine and it’s copies were appropriated by the ultra-left, raided from the R&D division of Feld Electronics, then lost to the fires. This computer uses long strips of film for feedback (projection), memory (storing on magnetic tape) and interfacing (submit commands in handwriting) purposes.

All our menus are designed around the Feld Playback Experiment. The dialogue engine is just one aspect, although the most important one, as players will spend a lot of time reading text in it. It has to be perfect.

It’s pretty much working as envisioned. Dice rolls are accompanied by a tape fast forward animation, the results are announced by subtle lighting effects. The whole thing makes this nice insect-like sound, very delicate. It wasn’t easy coming up with a menu paradigm that hasn’t been done to death yet – stone slabs, cybercomputer, papyros pages, detectivy notebook paper, black techno triangles – but this is something we feel we can make our own.

As a bonus – it is a part of an in-world mystery.

So we, the player, are using FELD to view the game. Nice touch.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Neat thread of posts by at least one of the devs:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52246.0

pro click

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tripwood posted:

Hah, nice. From the devs:

So we, the player, are using FELD to view the game. Nice touch.

This game just has :psyduck: level recursive depth to it

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Another glowing review! This one from the shack:
https://www.shacknews.com/article/115112/disco-elysium-review-drunk-on-ambrosia

“I wish, like the detective, I could forget all about Disco Elysium, if only to experience it again as if for the first time. It’s truly one of the greatest RPGs ever released.”

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I really get the feeling that the FELD Was supposed to be a much bigger part of the game at some point. Perhaps it'll be a bigger focus in the expansion or the sequel?

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Sequel or DLC announced yet? No? God, then what's the point of living? It's the only thing keeping me from sailing off into the Pale. Well, that and the fact I don't have a boombox to prop on my shoulder as I sail into oblivion. :frogc00l:

Neuronyx fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 22, 2019

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Neuronyx posted:

Sequel or DLC announced yet? No? God, then what's the point of living? It's the only thing keeping me from sailing off into the Pale. Well, that and the fact I don't have a boombox to prop on my shoulder as I sail into oblivion. :frogc00l:

Sequel and expansion and localized novel are all announced, actually.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Felds just a reference to the divergent stuff the ussr computing industry did on the sixties like the trinary processor

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Oh.

I AM SO READY.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

A novel yes please. Audiobook if Kim does it.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

All the stats allude to each having a downside when they are specced too high, I assumed as a kind of counterbalance to the "15 in everything" powergaming mentality, but I don't think it was actually implemented in game? I had like 10 in Volition and it didn't seem to have any downside.

One potential downside of Encyclopedia, at high levels it positively drowns you in (often) pointless trivia ; which can waste a lot of your time.

But yeah, the stats don't seem to force you into anything - they just give you more options and suggestions which may or may not be helpful. I describe the game to my friends as an "ego simulator", you're being the final deciding or mediating authority after the cop's superego, id and giant communism have all had their say. It's possible that highly unbalanced stats can cut short dialogue though - I've had e.g. Logic or Drama chime up to comment on a Perception or Empathy or Visual Calculus observation ; I've had Electro-Chemistry or Physical Instrument just pipe up à propos of nothing to remind me a smoke would be great right about now ; and I'm almost sure Volition and Logic have both interrupted various tangents or told the others to shut the gently caress up - but I can't say the others would have said more or if it was just flavour.
That being said, so far my highest ever stat has been 9

ETA : on the other hand, Thoughts and their rejection have more influence. If you have the Fascist thought in your list, you'll have fash dialogue options ; but if you either refuse to have it ; or internalize it then toss it away (I think ?) then those dialogue choices simply won't appear. Same with art criticism, the paranormal, narcissism...

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Nov 22, 2019

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I haven't read the actual interview earlier:

quote:

"We have an insanely ambitious list of projects we want to make in the Elysium setting," Kurvitz said. "The last one I want to make, when I'm 50 or 60, that I want to absolutely go crazy on and throw out all commercial considerations and get this as conceptual as possible, is the tabletop setting. The working title for the tabletop setting is You Are Vapor. It will be a really, really, crazy pen-and-paper game."
Yesss to them wanting to obsess over this game-world for a long time.

Uncle Ivan
Aug 31, 2001
I'm not sure that's true. Regardless of whether or not you've internalized feminist, communist, fascist, libertarian or whatever thoughts, you'll have all those dialog options available. (in a conversation where you can respond in one of those ways, which will then tend to give you the associated thought if you don't already have it) I'm sure there may be some exceptions to this but so far that's what I've seen.

wit
Jul 26, 2011
If you get sucked into the game, I think there's a tendency you mary sue a just a little when speccing through the game when you hear a voice you like more than the others. I think its excellently written in a way that is pretty masterful at playing to at least my own conceits, pushing the game along but but punishing for overindulging.

As for thought cabinet, I chose be a big racist, I go north in video games and didn't understand the mechanic.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I admit I save scummed in the church. gently caress calling Kim a yellow monkey fucker

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Uncle Ivan posted:

I'm not sure that's true. Regardless of whether or not you've internalized feminist, communist, fascist, libertarian or whatever thoughts, you'll have all those dialog options available. (in a conversation where you can respond in one of those ways, which will then tend to give you the associated thought if you don't already have it) I'm sure there may be some exceptions to this but so far that's what I've seen.

I'm not sure either, but I got the impression that I stopped being able to say stupid racist poo poo after I declined the Nationhood idea ; then started being able to say dumb stuff about wömen again after internalizing MEASUREHEAD's theories (and keeping them in my head for the stats). Similarly, I simply refused to ever be a centrist and apart from some key discussions, value-neutral waffling didn't seem to come up much at all. Meanwhile I kept ranting about the supra-natural to anyone who would listen, to Kim's great exasperation :).
I don't think you need to have internalized them though, simply having them available to internalize seems to do the trick.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I'll admit i haven't actually experimented enough with the game to see if there are thoughts that trigger additional dialog options only when internalized.

But here's a quick thing you can check yourself shortly after starting the game. Go downstairs, talk to everyone, have the "wait, where IS home" thought. One save for "Lonesome Way Home", one for "gently caress it, Hobocop".

Now go outside and root in the dumpster. If you have the Hobocop thought, even without internalizing it, you get "really dive in there, Hobocop style" as an additional dialog option (with no concrete reward). If you don't, you don't.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kobal2 posted:

Meanwhile I kept ranting about the supra-natural to anyone who would listen, to Kim's great exasperation :).

I did this on my first playthrough and it was amazing. I really enjoyed how neither you the player nor Harry the character really know if psychic powers are a thing in this world. Inland Empire, Shivers, and Espirit de Corps all seem to give you some sort of extra-sensory perception, none of which you are ever given any reason to doubt, beyond Kim's exasperation and the reactions of a few other characters. As you play your extra senses keep telling the truth, so maybe Harry is special? How do the 2mm hole and the Pale factor into all this? The Pale does some trippy poo poo with memories and doesn't seem well-understood, let-alone the newly-discovered hole in the world, who knows what kind of effects they could have on people.

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Nov 22, 2019

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Wafflecopper posted:

I did this on my first playthrough and it was amazing. I really enjoyed how neither you the player nor Harry the character really know if psychic powers are a thing in this world. Inland Empire, Shivers, and Espirit de Corps all seem to give you some sort of extra-sensory perception, none of which you are never given any reason to doubt, beyond Kim's exasperation and the reactions of a few other characters. As you play your extra senses keep telling the truth, so maybe Harry is special? How do the 2mm hole and the Pale factor into all this? The Pale does some trippy poo poo with memories and doesn't seem well-understood, let-alone the newly-discovered hole in the world, who knows what kind of effects they could have on people.

Yeah, this is the first story to hit that magic realism thing and hit it loving right for me. How do computers work when every calculation seems to be done via radio? What the hell is up with the wooden crab dude in the old church? Is Egghead actually a straight-up psychic?

It's the first time that I've wanted to know the answers to these questions and also desperately not wanted to know.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
My thought is that Pale is like a collected morass of history/memory as humans experience and think about it - and a particularly sensitive Harry can glean the equivalent of remote viewing because it's constantly generated and people and places he has some kind of connection to (even second-hand) are involved in its creation, and there's just some way to even naturally "tune" the Pale (it's probably not a coincidence that radio is a fairly constant concept of the world) to specific points, but the best Harry can manage is subconscious control. The hole(s) in the world may even serve as proximity amplifiers, and/or they may or may not be involved in Revachol potentially being an actual genius loci that favors and assists Harry beyond his own capabilities. All this remains vague and based on internal observations from a seriously unwell individual. But it's an individual that may have managed to manifest money out of thin air...though Kim saw the man, too, didn't he...?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Somfin posted:

Yeah, this is the first story to hit that magic realism thing and hit it loving right for me.

did night in the woods not hit for you or are you just not counting it as magical realism because it seems like a pretty clear example of it to me lmao

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I was a radical feminist for a bit but it wasn’t clear to me that it was creating more dialogues choices. Whenever there were options to say a feminist thing there were also options to say the non-feminist thing. So I opted to forget that thought.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
When it comes to extra-sensory perception, the only one that's explicitly supernatural is shivers, which is not a spoiler because they tell you that on the website. With the others there is a seed of doubt, but with shivers, it's only role is to tell you things that you could not possibly know about without some kind of ESP.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Is Inland Empire just supposed to be a less reliable of Shivers then?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vegetable posted:

inland empire tells you things more immediately relevant to the case but can also try to distract or mislead you

shivers doesn't lie but also doesn't care if you find its information useful

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Vegetable posted:

It's partly meant to be Harry's imagination. Or at least, to be able to read as his imagination mixed with 'how did I know that?' hunches that may or may not be supernatural. It's also his openmindedness, I'd say. His willingness to consider absurd possibilities and think non-conventionally.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
From a narrative viewpoint inland empire is about injecting some surrealism into the situation, whereas shivers grants access to the omniscient narrator.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Night10194 posted:

It's partly meant to be Harry's imagination. Or at least, to be able to read as his imagination mixed with 'how did I know that?' hunches that may or may not be supernatural. It's also his openmindedness, I'd say. His willingness to consider absurd possibilities and think non-conventionally.

Yeah, to me it mostly has a dimension of Harry knowing stuff because he actually knew them before he went on his hypermegabender - but since he doesn't know *why* he knows them now or how the stuff that just popped into his brain is connected to whatever he's doing that jogged that bit of memory loose, it comes in the form of vague premonitions or abstract feelings that he shouldn't do this or should consider doing that. Just isolated, context-free nuggets of information floating on the sea of neurotoxin. But he (and you) may choose to interpret those as ESP rather than intuitive but fact- or sensory-based hunches.
At the same time, a lot of it is also just goofy poo poo and him grasping at straws because he doesn't have any way to tell the "real" hunches from random flights of fancy or off-kilter obsessions. Or is it ?!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
I'm not sure if Shivers is entirely trustworthy. it seems to basically be the City of Revachol talking to you, and if the city is an entity, it has a viewpoint and an agenda.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure if Shivers is entirely trustworthy. it seems to basically be the City of Revachol talking to you, and if the city is an entity, it has a viewpoint and an agenda.

The city only talks with you when its all in CAPS. If its the normal narration its basically your highly attuned senses preternaturally picking things up around the city.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

On the opposite end; is Half Light ever actually good or useful? I don't remember a single Half Light Check in the game - even punching out Measurehead is Physical Instrument and most instances of threatening folks comes down to Authority. Doing an "rear end in a top hat" run now and pumping HL seems to be the way to go.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

The city only talks with you when its all in CAPS. If its the normal narration its basically your highly attuned senses preternaturally picking things up around the city.

I would say this is contentious - you could easily read it as CAPS simply being direct communication and everything else being indirect

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Calico Heart posted:

On the opposite end; is Half Light ever actually good or useful? I don't remember a single Half Light Check in the game - even punching out Measurehead is Physical Instrument and most instances of threatening folks comes down to Authority. Doing an "rear end in a top hat" run now and pumping HL seems to be the way to go.

I would say this is contentious - you could easily read it as CAPS simply being direct communication and everything else being indirect

You use it on the racist lorry driver. Can't recall any others but it does crop up.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Calico Heart posted:

Either way, all the other skills will sometimes give you bad advice. I have a hard time accepting that Shivers alone is *completely* trustworthy.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Half light is used like one time, ignore it.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I had trouble believing they could come up with a balanced amount of content for all of the stats. The result was I spent like 10 whole minutes at the initial stat screen, speculating what stats were most likely to present ~ content ~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Vegetable posted:

I had trouble believing they could come up with a balanced amount of content for all of the stats. The result was I spent like 10 whole minutes at the initial stat screen, speculating what stats were most likely to present ~ content ~.

Encyclopedia, inland Empire, shivers, what else?