Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telemaze
Apr 22, 2008

What you expected hasn't happened.
Fun Shoe
I think that was Robert A Heinlein.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't PKD have a... thing for incest, or am I thinking a different sci-fi author's weird fetishes?

Literally all male and most in general fantasy authors are paedophiles with violent child rape fantasies in print. HTH.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Jerry Cotton posted:

Literally all male and most in general fantasy authors are paedophiles with violent child rape fantasies in print. HTH.

Terry Pratchett wasn't, you dick.
You could have just said 'almost all' and been 100% right.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VanSandman posted:

Terry Pratchett wasn't, you dick.
You could have just said 'almost all' and been 100% right.

Well, he's dead.

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

as we all know once you're dead you're a pedophile

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Telemaze posted:

110%.

One day I'll need to pull out the shame copy I still own of Time Enough For Love and post about it here.

I remember reading it as a teenager and thinking it was so deep. Then as an adult, and needing to scrub clean my eyes and soul.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Jerry Cotton posted:

emptyquote

Telemaze posted:

I rank Heinlein as being worse than the previously discussed at length in this thread Piers Anthony because Heinlein was also a fascist dipshit in addition to being a sex creeper.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I feel like there's a big difference between being called THE juice and just "juice"

Juice Newton :colbert:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Didn't PKD have a... thing for incest, or am I thinking a different sci-fi author's weird fetishes?

PKD is one of the few old-school sci fi authors where I can’t really think of any stories with any weird sex stuff. I feel like his grasp on reality was too tenuous for that.

I don’t think Ellison’s stories had any, but he was also a notorious creep IRL so he doesn’t count.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I don’t think Ellison’s stories had any, but he was also a notorious creep IRL so he doesn’t count.
From the wikipedia page for Ellison's "A Boy And His Dog"

quote:

At a movie house, Blood claims to smell a woman, and the pair track her to an abandoned YMCA building. There, they meet Quilla June Holmes, a teenage girl from "Downunder”, a society located in a large underground vault. Before Vic can rape her, Blood informs the pair that a "roverpak" (a gang) has tracked them to the building and they have to fight them off. After killing a number of them, the trio hides in a boiler and set the structure on fire. Vic finally fornicates with Quilla June, and though she protests at first, she begins to come on to him. Blood takes an instant disliking to her, but Vic ignores him. Vic and Quilla June fornicate repeatedly, but eventually, Quilla June attacks him and takes off to return to her underground community. Vic, furious at her deception, follows her, despite Blood's warnings. Blood remains at the portal on the surface.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Dienes posted:

Reminds me of Ender's Game, in which a child becomes president of the world because folks like his forum posts just that much.

:trumppop:

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

FMguru posted:

From the wikipedia page for Ellison's "A Boy And His Dog"

I have not read the story in question so I am not defending it or condemning it. That said, I would not trust Wikipedia plot summaries of anything, much less summaries of science fiction that go into that level of detail. The people who do that often miss the forest for the forest.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I Have no Mouth and I Must Scream - the sole women in the story (content warning for gross sex stuff obviously) sleeps with the four remaining men on earth with a mention of how she enjoys the one with the biggest dick most, who has been altered this way with low intellect to match by the evil supercomputer for funsies. In the game adaptation that I think Ellison oversaw she’s a rape victim and is psychologically tortured by making her prison a copy of the room it happened in and in her puzzle segments is forced to confront her rapist in order to continue, failing this fails her segment. It’s not graphic at all but it’s definitely not fun.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Ellison was actually super hands off with the game adaptation apparently. He had to approve everything that went into it, but he didn't really give any creative input according to the producer who met with him.

So the gross stuff was on the game developers and that whole game intends to be disturbing and uncomfortable.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

I have not read the story in question so I am not defending it or condemning it. That said, I would not trust Wikipedia plot summaries of anything, much less summaries of science fiction that go into that level of detail. The people who do that often miss the forest for the forest.

That’s an accurate summary, despite being bizarrely phrased.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I've not read it, but I thought that was kinda the point of the novel? Everything is awful, they're the playthings of an sadistic entity that wants to do to them the equivalent of "pulling the legs off of a bug" for all eternity. Creatively.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Serephina posted:

I've not read it, but I thought that was kinda the point of the novel? Everything is awful, they're the playthings of an sadistic entity that wants to do to them the equivalent of "pulling the legs off of a bug" for all eternity. Creatively.

The idea that the best and only torture for women is rape is extraordinary ubiquitous in science fiction (in fiction in general) and honestly it generally shows the limitations of the person writing it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Good point.

Elpato
Oct 14, 2009

I hate to spoil the ending, but...some stuff gets eaten, y'know?
I read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream sometime in the 00's, so my information is at least ten years old, probably more. The point of what happens to everyone is that the evil supercomputer has changed everyone's physiology and intellect to be antithetical or a weird perversion of what they once were.

That (on its own) is fine to illustrate how a god-like being might toy with sapients it hates, but the problem comes in when you remember that the author created every aspect of who these people originally were. One of the men was super smart, and he got turned into a hulking gorilla type neanderthal. Another guy was a pacifist who is made to kill (?). And the woman is specifically written to have been chaste, so that the AI could make her crave dick against her will.

-------------

Upon reading the wikipedia, I'm generally correct, but we have the :siren:BONUS:siren: tidbit that the woman is the only person in the story with a specified race. She's black and only loves the big cocks now. Hooray!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I found a PDF of Master of the Universe, the original fic that became 50 Shades of Gray. It’s somehow even worse than the books. Like I was breaking out in nervous laughter at some of the poo poo in it.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

AlbieQuirky posted:

That’s an accurate summary, despite being bizarrely phrased.

Fair, simply cautioning. Fiction wikikeepers are not the best in my experience. Most are about on par of hearing my niece tell me about a cartoon she watched two days ago.

SirSlarty
Dec 23, 2003

that's wicked

Mokinokaro posted:

Ellison was actually super hands off with the game adaptation apparently. He had to approve everything that went into it, but he didn't really give any creative input according to the producer who met with him.

Wasn't Ellison the voice of AM?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

SirSlarty posted:

Wasn't Ellison the voice of AM?

Yes he was, but Ellison was a luddite and really didn't understand much about the game outside of the art and writing ideas they had him approve. He didn't actually contribute any writing or that to it outside of the original novel.

The ONE thing he originally pushed for was the game to only have bad endings, but the producer convinced him their idea of a more hopeful ending fit.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Elpato posted:

I read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream sometime in the 00's, so my information is at least ten years old, probably more. The point of what happens to everyone is that the evil supercomputer has changed everyone's physiology and intellect to be antithetical or a weird perversion of what they once were.

That (on its own) is fine to illustrate how a god-like being might toy with sapients it hates, but the problem comes in when you remember that the author created every aspect of who these people originally were. One of the men was super smart, and he got turned into a hulking gorilla type neanderthal. Another guy was a pacifist who is made to kill (?). And the woman is specifically written to have been chaste, so that the AI could make her crave dick against her will.

-------------

Upon reading the wikipedia, I'm generally correct, but we have the :siren:BONUS:siren: tidbit that the woman is the only person in the story with a specified race. She's black and only loves the big cocks now. Hooray!

Although it's worth noting that everything in the story is through the POV of one of the trapped humans, whose thoughts the computer explicitly manipulates at one point. So who knows how reliable any of the narration is.

As for "A Boy and His Dog," while this isn't necessarily exculpatory, it takes place in a pretty stock shithole post-apocalypse, and Vic's not intended to be any sort of morally or even mentally healthy protagonist. And Quilla June is just out-and-out batshit crazy; her psycho underground Stepford society deliberately sent her up there to breed with a surface male because all of their men are shooting blanks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
That's all evidence of him being a sex weird.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

That's all evidence of him being a sex weird.

He's an author. Did we really need more?

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

chitoryu12 posted:

I found a PDF of Master of the Universe, the original fic that became 50 Shades of Gray. It’s somehow even worse than the books. Like I was breaking out in nervous laughter at some of the poo poo in it.

That's no surprise. James probably had to rewrite the whole thing to get the Twilight out even before it got handed over to an editor who made their own cuts. I never read Masters, but I did read a little of Draco Veritas back in the day and hoo-boy did they clean that up to make Mortal Instruments.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Dan Olson / Folding Ideas has a long series of videos about Fifty Shades and while the focus is nominally on the movie there is a lot of discussion about both the books and the original web serial

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzk9N7dJBec

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Although it's worth noting that everything in the story is through the POV of one of the trapped humans, whose thoughts the computer explicitly manipulates at one point. So who knows how reliable any of the narration is.

As for "A Boy and His Dog," while this isn't necessarily exculpatory, it takes place in a pretty stock shithole post-apocalypse, and Vic's not intended to be any sort of morally or even mentally healthy protagonist. And Quilla June is just out-and-out batshit crazy; her psycho underground Stepford society deliberately sent her up there to breed with a surface male because all of their men are shooting blanks.

This is the literary criticism equivalent of the essays about how every scantily-clad video game character's outfit makes sense because it's ~her culture~ or ~it powers her magic~ or a thousand other excuses to dance around the fact that this is fiction created by a person for a reason

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Ellison groped another author at a convention and then made a big rant attacking her after she refused to accept a "I'm sorry you were offended by my actions" nonpology he made.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

C.M. Kruger posted:

Ellison groped another author at a convention and then made a big rant attacking her after she refused to accept a "I'm sorry you were offended by my actions" nonpology he made.
Whoa whoa, this need a little context. The context is that Harlan Ellison is a huge piece of poo poo and spent his life making sure everyone knew it.

He sued everyone in sight, married a teenager while forty, bragged about jumping colleagues, mailed dead gophers and bricks to creditors, and yes, publicly groped a fellow author on stage. It's frankly a miracle he died of old age.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

The only positive thing I can remember about Harlan Ellison at the moment is his brief feud with the Penny Arcade guys, whom he described as "superannuated teen-age golems," which is a valuable phrase to describe so many kinds of Internet People

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Squidster posted:

mailed dead gophers and bricks to creditors

Yo this is a cool thing to do to money-people. He deserved to be beaten to death with lead pipes, sure, but that and the PA thing were genuinely cool and good.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
When you're an rear end in a top hat 24/7, eventually you're an rear end in a top hat to someone who had it coming.

https://www.wired.com/2017/10/geeks-guide-harlan-ellison/ posted:

It turns out the comptroller of this publishing house had not given him a complete statement of accounts or something like that, and very simply didn’t return his phone calls. Harlan was polite—he did phone calls, he sent letters—and when nothing happened he said, ‘All right, I’ll make you answer.’ … Harlan managed to get a dead gopher, and he wrapped it up in a box, and he sent it by slow mail to the comptroller at the publishing house. And he sent it over a long weekend in August, to New York. When they opened it, the gopher had ripened to a considerable degree, and they had to fumigate the entire office. Some stories say they even had to repaint it.”

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Squidster posted:

When you're an rear end in a top hat 24/7, eventually you're an rear end in a top hat to someone who had it coming.

Ellison loved to tell stories about how he made witty ripostes / got back at someone / put them in their place. Stories that weren't always true.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Antivehicular posted:

The only positive thing I can remember about Harlan Ellison at the moment is his brief feud with the Penny Arcade guys, whom he described as "superannuated teen-age golems," which is a valuable phrase to describe so many kinds of Internet People
He championed Octavia Butler ferociously and was always really, really kind to her, and she wasn't the easiest person herself.

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013
He's the rear end in a top hat sci-fi deserves, not the one it wants. His one saving grace.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Reminds me of the satirical murder mystery Bimbos of the Death Sun, where the victim (who damned near everyone at a sci-fi/fantasy convention had a reason to murder) was a thinly-disguised Harlan Ellison.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

there wolf posted:

That's no surprise. James probably had to rewrite the whole thing to get the Twilight out even before it got handed over to an editor who made their own cuts. I never read Masters, but I did read a little of Draco Veritas back in the day and hoo-boy did they clean that up to make Mortal Instruments.

I think it was cited as 80% identical to the final book if you put it through a plagiarism detector. I did a comparison of some parts and 50 Shades has more descriptive language and massively fixes the grammar; James badly abused commas and ellipses in just about every paragraph. The fic also had a happy ending that she removed to justify making sequels. Otherwise, much of the book is identical or nearly identical, including all of the worst bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Antivehicular posted:

This is the literary criticism equivalent of the essays about how every scantily-clad video game character's outfit makes sense because it's ~her culture~ or ~it powers her magic~ or a thousand other excuses to dance around the fact that this is fiction created by a person for a reason

Sure, but its also worth bearing in mind that a character doing a thing in a book doesnt automatically mean that the author thinks that thing is cool and good. Nabokov wasnt a paedophile for example. Now, I'm not directly commenting on "A Boy and his Dog" because I havent read it (though I think I might have seen part of the movie maybe), but context is generally important. I dont know if it reads like "These are the excuses the author has put in to justify behaviour he seems to think is acceptable" or if it is "these are the things the author has put in to try and explore why people do hosed up things", and I dont think I personally can tell that from a wiki summary.