Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
My heart knows SI won't do it, but they really need to take a year off to prune/update the match engine & database. It's ridiculous when you only have one product, and miss glaring bugs like this, the shooting at acute angles bug, etc.

Maybe charge $10 for roster updates for the "gap" year or something - I don't know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Shroud posted:

My heart knows SI won't do it, but they really need to take a year off to prune/update the match engine & database. It's ridiculous when you only have one product, and miss glaring bugs like this, the shooting at acute angles bug, etc.

Maybe charge $10 for roster updates for the "gap" year or something - I don't know.

They could but
:capitalism:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Is the whole "clubs/FA's cracking down on people using real logos and player photos" thing going to affect the Steam workshop at all, or is the lack of those kinds of mods just down to the game only being officially out for about 12 hours?

Edit: oh drat these things run up to like a dozen GB each, so I guess the Steam workshop is out of the cards. Is there a place to get logo packs that isn't SortItOutSI which requires me to pay them :10bux: if I want to not wait fifty days on slow-rear end free downloads from dodgy mirror sites? Why they don't just put them up as a torrent I have no idea.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Nov 19, 2019

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

sassassin posted:

Game and editor are out but the determination (and other hidden attribute) bug has only become worse in recent patches so any players without a value set in the database gets a 1-4 rating (most often 1).

This is fine because players can develop, say mods before locking threads talking about it.

I had no idea this was a thing until I saw a post on reddit about it this morning. Just checked the Iceland save I made the other day

I have 4 players in the entire squad with a determination over 3 :(

Stotty fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 19, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shroud posted:

In their defence it wasn't a major issue in earlier versions (my earliest save started with a squad of nobodies with 5-10 determination, which took work but was manageable) and only seems to have started generating all the 1s in the last week. Wrong time to tell one of the coders they're being laid off imho.

And most of the match engine bugs exist to keep scorelines down/"realistic". Because defending is a shitshow. If players don't stop before crossing, refuse to do cut backs, get flagged offside all the time etc. every game would finish 5-5. There's only a few issues that actually create more goals (the penalties one, which is again very recent, and defenders kicking the ball out for loving corners under no pressure you idiots, you cowards, which is decades old at this point).

The core issues of the match engine imo are dribbling having no impact on pace (so players can run accurately with the ball as fast as they can run without it) and really poor logic for when a player should stay with a man, and when they should get back into shape, particularly in wide areas. The more noticeable poor decision making on the ball exists to cover for these deficiencies.

£10 wouldn't cover the annual licensing costs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Drone posted:

Is the whole "clubs/FA's cracking down on people using real logos and player photos" thing going to affect the Steam workshop at all, or is the lack of those kinds of mods just down to the game only being officially out for about 12 hours?

Edit: oh drat these things run up to like a dozen GB each, so I guess the Steam workshop is out of the cards. Is there a place to get logo packs that isn't SortItOutSI which requires me to pay them :10bux: if I want to not wait fifty days on slow-rear end free downloads from dodgy mirror sites? Why they don't just put them up as a torrent I have no idea.

Don't clog up your memory with billions of images. Make your own graphics pack with just the players and logos you'll see regularly. The config file is very easy to write and maintain.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I've made the leap to FM20 Mobile because I don't have time to play vidya games for hours at home but I do spend an hour on a train each day so here we go. I've been saving up my Google Survey Bucks so it only cost me £1.65 of real money.

Played a few friendlies so far and it's fun :)

Shroud
May 11, 2009

sassassin posted:

In their defence it wasn't a major issue in earlier versions (my earliest save started with a squad of nobodies with 5-10 determination, which took work but was manageable) and only seems to have started generating all the 1s in the last week. Wrong time to tell one of the coders they're being laid off imho.

And most of the match engine bugs exist to keep scorelines down/"realistic". Because defending is a shitshow. If players don't stop before crossing, refuse to do cut backs, get flagged offside all the time etc. every game would finish 5-5. There's only a few issues that actually create more goals (the penalties one, which is again very recent, and defenders kicking the ball out for loving corners under no pressure you idiots, you cowards, which is decades old at this point).

The core issues of the match engine imo are dribbling having no impact on pace (so players can run accurately with the ball as fast as they can run without it) and really poor logic for when a player should stay with a man, and when they should get back into shape, particularly in wide areas. The more noticeable poor decision making on the ball exists to cover for these deficiencies.

£10 wouldn't cover the annual licensing costs.

Thanks, didn't realize that. Part of of it, too, is that they keep releasing it later and later every year. Seems like FM 2022 is going to be release in January 2023 at this point.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The alpha went out around the same time as it did last year, but was far rougher.

Research was noticeably behind schedule all summer.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Drone posted:

https://www.fmscout.com/c-files20.html

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Is the contract situation better in this version?

I'm getting tired of players in FM19 wanting new contracts every six months and asking for like £200k/week from mid-table premier league clubs.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Or the old classic of a free agent asking for £250k a week and leaving negotiations in a huff when you would only offer £200k, then signing for Inter at £80k

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FM20 Mobile is actually a nice upgrade from last year's version. The presentation, particularly in matches and the inbox, is a lot closer to the full version of the game than it used to be. Nice to see that they still care after several years without any meaningful changes.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

Weedle posted:

FM20 Mobile is actually a nice upgrade from last year's version. The presentation, particularly in matches and the inbox, is a lot closer to the full version of the game than it used to be. Nice to see that they still care after several years without any meaningful changes.

I guess that's where they focused all of their effort this year.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Weedle posted:

I really like the ^^x progress chart after matches to show what the players gained from it. Is that in the full game too these days?

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Top-tier clubs selling talented youngsters, who've got a year left on their contract but won't sign a new one because they're not being guaranteed game time... and then sign for other top-tier clubs where they don't get game time.
Good if you manage to pick a couple of them up on the cheap, but deeply stupid behaviour.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing I do like is that clubs don't magically forget they're interested in a player once the transfer window is over. Before, if someone was wanted by a bigger club, you could just let them be unhappy until the next transfer window, where the bigger team would forget about them and the player would then be ok to resign

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The most important thing about choosing a team to manage is their sidebar colour. Closely followed by the logo and whether their kit looks decent with the right colour numbers on the back.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

The most important thing about choosing a team to manage is their sidebar colour. Closely followed by the logo and whether their kit looks decent with the right colour numbers on the back.

Ok so what’s your team

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandalay posted:

Ok so what’s your team

FC Eindhoven after I fixed their numbers from white on white to something readable.

Tried Den Bosch (racists), Volendam (too much orange) and Dordrecht (it's a loving sheep's head) before that. Wanted to avoid the red & white sides in the Dutch leagues, which is 80% of them.

They're awful and there's no money in the Eerste Divisie. Can't even afford to scout so I'll have to rely on loaning British development players I've heard of until Brexit hits and potentially closes that market. On the plus side there's no fixture congestion so I can work the players like dogs in training, and you can realistically make the playoffs finishing 8th or 9th in a 20 team league.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Based on an idea I saw on /r/footballmanagergames I've been doing Bali United in the Indonesian League One since beta.

I think there's something broken with this team. I'm halfway through the season and haven't lost a single game. My wage budget is around 4 million euros p/a, but the team (which is one of the best in the league already) is currently only spending a million of that for a full roster. I'm bleeding money, but my budgets are loving massive and given my limited scouting range and league rules that only allow me to have 4 non-Indonesian players, I have absolutely nothing to spend the money on currently. And yet I still lose poo poo tons of money. Given gate receipts, sponsorships, etc, I have no idea how this club stays afloat.

I'm winning so many games though, even if I'm coasting to bankruptcy doing it.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

I'd love to be able to say to a player whose head's been turned "nobody can leave because we're in the middle of a takeover so there's a transfer embargo". This game sometimes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Had a player sent off for a good clean challenge that the commentator said was a horrible two-footed lunge. I appealed it and won, but the code of conduct meant the player had automatically been fined so he then threw a strop about it being unfair (quite right too, lad).

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

thinking about jumping back into this. is FM2020 worth it having just been newly released, or should i stick with FM2019? it's SI so i'm assuming both aren't exactly bug free, but what's the most polished of the two currently?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
FM20 is alright but it needs another patch. Shouldn't be too long, though.

NutShellBill
Dec 4, 2004
I AM SPUTNIK'S PARACHUTE ACCOUNT
Still playing an old FM 2017 save file, and I just don't understand the British Work Permit system.

There's points, it's based on salary, and being in the premier league, and I just want to sign some Canadian boys for my Sky Bet 2 Weston super Mare squad.

So... from what I can understand, Canadian born players without eligibility are right out, unless I want to loan them out for around 5 full years.

What about players like Fraser Aird?

I realize that he's not a household name, so here's his situation:

- Born in Canada
- Trained in Scotland, under Rangers. Currently plays for Brechin, in Scotland and has been playing there since 2010. According to my math, since he was 15. (Currently 23 in my save)
- Selected to my international team a couple of times. He's a fringe player for the Canadian National squad, but he'd be top 3 on my local team slated for relegation. (But actually worrying me by threatening promotion for the 3rd straight season.)
- I think he'd rank in my top 25% for earners, but I'm not sure that matters because I'm in Sky Bet 2.
- I'm his favourite personel :3

There's no guarantee of him being interested, but can I pursue players like this, without running into the rejected work permit fist? I'd actually spend transfer money on this guy. I NEVER do that. I just poach unhappy young players who want to leave for playing time and then... give them playing time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

if you’re not at least championship just forget it

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Keep British jobs British. Why import players to do something any random bloke from the pub can do?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
There's a world class Welsh regen centre forward popped up at Boca Juniors in my first season of this FC Eindhoven save.

Everything's coming together for my world cup win in 2026.

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Is 2020 worth an upgrade over 2019?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

virinvictus posted:

Is 2020 worth an upgrade over 2019?

It's paying for a database update, more so than usual.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I just sold a 36 year old Lukasz Fabianski to Lokomotiv Moscow, who have on the same day also signed a 37 year old Andriy Pyatov and a 34 year old Sergio Romero to join a 35 year old Guilherme in a quartet of really old goalkeepers in their team. Some strange transfer decisions being made at that club.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have spent $270 million to sign Dybala, Cavani and Depay to join their existing front three of Salah, Firmino and Mane, and are looking to spend another $130 million on Lautaro Martinez to get them a 7th (seventh!) world class forward

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

NutShellBill posted:

Still playing an old FM 2017 save file, and I just don't understand the British Work Permit system.

There's points, it's based on salary, and being in the premier league, and I just want to sign some Canadian boys for my Sky Bet 2 Weston super Mare squad.

So... from what I can understand, Canadian born players without eligibility are right out, unless I want to loan them out for around 5 full years.

What about players like Fraser Aird?

I realize that he's not a household name, so here's his situation:

- Born in Canada
- Trained in Scotland, under Rangers. Currently plays for Brechin, in Scotland and has been playing there since 2010. According to my math, since he was 15. (Currently 23 in my save)
- Selected to my international team a couple of times. He's a fringe player for the Canadian National squad, but he'd be top 3 on my local team slated for relegation. (But actually worrying me by threatening promotion for the 3rd straight season.)
- I think he'd rank in my top 25% for earners, but I'm not sure that matters because I'm in Sky Bet 2.
- I'm his favourite personel :3

There's no guarantee of him being interested, but can I pursue players like this, without running into the rejected work permit fist? I'd actually spend transfer money on this guy. I NEVER do that. I just poach unhappy young players who want to leave for playing time and then... give them playing time.

Might be considered a home grown player on account of his training, but unless he exercises his right to UK nationality based on time resided, no permit.

If you want Canadians at your level, filter by second nationality. EU nationals don't need permits. I did this in League 2 using my knowledge from running their u23s.

e: 4/5 of my posts in this thread are on work permit shenanigans for Canadians, smh

Obliterati fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Nov 28, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bogan Krkic posted:

I just sold a 36 year old Lukasz Fabianski to Lokomotiv Moscow, who have on the same day also signed a 37 year old Andriy Pyatov and a 34 year old Sergio Romero to join a 35 year old Guilherme in a quartet of really old goalkeepers in their team. Some strange transfer decisions being made at that club.

Meanwhile, Liverpool have spent $270 million to sign Dybala, Cavani and Depay to join their existing front three of Salah, Firmino and Mane, and are looking to spend another $130 million on Lautaro Martinez to get them a 7th (seventh!) world class forward

Teams love signing old players a year from retirement, it's weird. My board have banned me from signing anyone over 30.

Did a year with FC Eindhoven, finished 3rd, bottled the playoffs spectacularly and now have an interview with vvv Venlo. Where they spend the whole thing insulting me acting like I approached them and how dare I with so little experience, why do I think I can do the job?

Bitch I don't even know where vvv is.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

‘look at this stupid name with all these consecutive consonants’, the welshman joked bravely

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

sassassin posted:

Bitch I don't even know where vvv is.

Down there somewhere - vvv

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

sassassin posted:

I’ll take that as a soft no, lol.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

sassassin posted:

You’re totally discounting that they remodeled opposing manager models in 3D match.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

virinvictus posted:

I’ll take that as a soft no, lol.

I like it but I didn't pay for it and I'm not playing the current public release version.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sassassin/anyone else who is a massive nerd about this, can someone explain how people tap up regens constantly?

I really want to do a game where I impose an age limit at the club and rely on kids, but I just don't understand how people do it. The youth intake happens at the start of March and I think? you can immediately just sign the kids at that stage. Is it just a punt on signing them all? I don't seem to have enough time to scout before they're signed on to youth contracts.

I've been playing this game for over 10 years and never understood the youth system.