Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Quantum of Phallus posted:

gently caress me the PS5 is gonna be so good, all these unreal studios and IPs Sony have developed over the last six years. Gat drat we're gonna get
New horizon game
New FROM games
New god of war
Hopefully new Kojima games
New Spider-Man probs

gently caress aghhhh

Give me Bloodborne 2 and name your price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Did somebody say a new Unreal game

Wicked Sick

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I hope FROM continues this trend of Dark Souls (Elden Ring sounds pretty much like it's Dark Souls) then a divergent game like Bloodborne and Sekiro. I definitely prefer the non DS games but I'm excited to play Elden Ring and see what else they come up with down the track. Bloodborne 2 would be sweet but it's such a complete experience that I want to see them keep tackling alternate settings.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Spalec posted:

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/11/21/black-friday-starts-early-at-playstation-store/

Some pretty good Black Friday sales coming up. $20 for Resident Evil 2, $30 for Red Dead 2, $10 for God of War, $20 for Spiderman+DLC.

Days Gone for $20 is a good price for the 2nd best game I've played this year.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

blackguy32 posted:

Is the DLC worth it or is the base game good enough?

Also, Watch Dogs 2 is such a great game and if you haven't played it, you should. It's such a unique and lighthearted take after the grim dark first one.

I liked watch doggies 2 even if it kinda outwears its welcome long before you're close to the end (this is every Ubisoft game though). The combat is also exceptionally bad for a GTA clone unless you play it strictly as a stealth puzzle game and never fire a real gun.

I keep hoping it'll be a PS+ game so it gets a resurgence of the fun little multiplayer modes. Pretending to be an NPC sitting I a car and doing stuff like making parked cars peel out and such to gently caress with other players while hacking them was way more fun than I expected.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I played through the entirety of Watch Dogs 2 without using a gun barring the one segment near the final 3rd of the game with the gangsters. It's really fun to piece together a plan to infiltrate a place by using the hacking tools and the stealth weapons, and I enjoyed the general plot of it a lot until yeah as Wolfsheim mentions near the very end where it gets a bit too serious for its own good. Legion looks really fun and I'll probably pick it up down the line.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The bad route on Sekiro is very heavy and I feel bad about having to repeatedly stab Emma in the neck then get wrecked by Isshin lol

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

JBP posted:

I save my game and turn off the power. That's True Gaming.

:hai:

Souls games except Sekiro boot you to the menu for going offline

Yeah, it's insane. I was booted out of an intense boss fight one time because of connection loss. :psyduck:

lol

Big ol' italics nope from beanpole. Looks like cobbled together ideas from other dev's VR tech demos with Star Wars levels of audio-visual nostalgia baiting.

Bust Rodd posted:

I never beat Half Life 2 but that game actually looks good enough to make me hopeful for the future of VR

Wearing poo poo on your head will never get good. There is no way around this. The average person can barely wear poo poo on their hands for a bit without getting annoyed.

The sound design in DS is legit some of the best I've ever heard. Mind blowingly good

Word. Every time I activate a new node or memory chip the requisite noises ricochet through the pleasure centers of my brain.

JBP posted:

PC gaming isn't For The Players and therefore I avoid it

I think us console gamers are simply too ignorant to comprehend the true pc gaming experience

such content is to be enjoyed with the following background music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm9Z6yZehVg

Donovan Trip posted:

Sony has spoiled me on story driven games and Half-Life looks kinda.. Shallow? I think the time has passed that I care, which is insane because HALF-LIFE and goldsrc/ hl2 blew my feeble young mind. This, just.. blasé

Agree. smh at the idea of being over the moon about Alyx Vance Simulator ityool 2019 after 5 straight years of the best, most experimental, risqué, and political single-player narratives ever. What has Valve been up to in the last decade? Let's take a look: some UT freeware, a MOBA, a digital collectable card game, weird nothingburger collaborations with Taito and Nexon, and a bunch of cancelled poo poo LMAO. These people have nothing to say and are out of touch with the world to such an astounding degree that it's almost entertainment in itself.

I'm always reminded of how similar the testimonials of working at Valve are to the dystopic test-chambers from Portal:

"At a self-organizing company you must pay attention to subtle hints from the corporate arm. They just won’t come to you and say “work on this”. Events will just happen and you need to be wise and realize that nothing happens by accident at places like this.

Your mental model should be a hierarchical corporate arm with a self-organizing layer underneath. The corporate arm will reach into and influence the self-organizing arm using various tools.

Some tools are key strategic hires forced into the system, random firings, hints placed with devs that something is valuable or interesting, exposing devs to extra resources like the ability to pay contractors, destroying resources like test labs, or bonus payouts.

You can also just reach in and grab devs and force them to a new team. (That’s why you have wheels on your desk.)

If at one of these companies you find yourself in the basement with a stapler, working alone: be prepared to be fired unless you have a strong Sponsor and are taking an approved break.

Anyhow, I’ve given a brain dump of a lot of the things I remember while working for a so-called self-organizing company. IMO, once you throw bonuses in they become utterly toxic workplaces."

:barf:

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think they rightfully decided that the only thing that could bring back the feeling of playing HL2 again today would be VR.

Actually they just sat on their hands and hosed up at every opportunity, and what used to feel like a gaping hole of an ending was simply filled with hundreds of incredible games by other studios, not to mention the single best console platform in the history of the medium, God's own Sony Playstation 4.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

The bad route on Sekiro is very heavy and I feel bad about having to repeatedly stab Emma in the neck then get wrecked by Isshin lol

otoh it's one of the best, if not THE best, fights in the game.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

otoh it's one of the best, if not THE best, fights in the game.

This is extremely samurai showdown fighting I'm really enjoying it but I'm rusty on timing and I also just remembered mikiri counter exists lol. High monk still works fine when they try to sweep me though :madmax:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

This is extremely samurai showdown fighting I'm really enjoying it but I'm rusty on timing and I also just remembered mikiri counter exists lol. High monk still works fine when they try to sweep me though :madmax:

Emma is also one of the few enemies in the game that will just 'nope' you out of the loving air if you try to jump in. It's amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jedi Fallen Order is legit great. Even the writing is v. good. The opening segment was better than the entirety of Solo, and I actually liked Solo. It really did the "it's star wars but focusing on the gritty nobodies" thing super well

Then when you get on the planets it's totally Metroid Prime, you even hunt for stuff to scan and the extent to which upgrades are optional and you can get them any time is on point.

For example I did the main story mission on the first planet but decided to explore a bunch before moving on, including going back to the first planet, and randomly just found the place where you get the double bladed light saber option without the game bringing my attention to it whatsoever. So refreshing.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Devil May Cry 5 for $20 hell yeah

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

precision posted:

Jedi Fallen Order is legit great. Even the writing is v. good. The opening segment was better than the entirety of Solo, and I actually liked Solo. It really did the "it's star wars but focusing on the gritty nobodies" thing super well

Then when you get on the planets it's totally Metroid Prime, you even hunt for stuff to scan and the extent to which upgrades are optional and you can get them any time is on point.

For example I did the main story mission on the first planet but decided to explore a bunch before moving on, including going back to the first planet, and randomly just found the place where you get the double bladed light saber option without the game bringing my attention to it whatsoever. So refreshing.

You're meant to go back and do it there. If you don't you randomly have it in your inventory after using the next bench with no cutscene lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Is the DLC worth it or is the base game good enough?

Both. The game is a totally complete story/conclusion of the Trilogy, but the first DLC is a cool little linear side story that is a few hours long. The second DLC isn't out yet but is supposed to be much more substantial.

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't know anything about this game or series but I'm bored so ok I guess

I can trust you on this right

I love it. My favorite game this year by a mile until Death Stranding came out. it's got a few areas that are rough around the edges. But it's an awesome game that I think is really unique and has a lot of heart.

Probably go in blind because it's got a lot of surprises, and also it takes an hour or 2 to really kick into gear. I like the beginning but it's not a good representation of the whole game.

it probably wouldn't hurt to watch a recap of the first two games since it's an ongoing story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FloTqDXsfX8

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 22, 2019

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BP, I got him. No resurrections. 3 gourds. It was That Run.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

JBP posted:

That’s something I love about FROM mega bosses. You finally figure it out and shift from getting your rear end beat to being a pro. The first time I won against Isshin, Gael and Orphan of Kos are some of my best game nerd feelings.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I still don’t quite get how I beat any Bloodborne bosses.

I know why I beat most Dark Souls bosses; I cheesed them

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
If you got The Show 19 with ps plus and didn't play it, do it. I don't even like baseball but there's something really fun about the career mode, especially if you pick a position like short stop or third base where you'll see a lot of game critical plays. It's a good game to zone out and listen to stuff.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

JBP posted:

:yeshaha:

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Is it weird that instead of going home at a normal time and then doing a normal day of work tomorrow, I chose to stay in the office until 2am and take a free day so I could laze around playing death stranding without feeling guilty about using up a weekend?

that's what i'm doing tomorrow and i cant wait.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

After burning out on Death Stranding, I tried to clear my palate with some backlog and went in on Uncharted Lost Legacy and I guess I owe Kojima an apology because apparently everybody's just bullshitting writing all the time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Fix posted:

After burning out on Death Stranding, I tried to clear my palate with some backlog and went in on Uncharted Lost Legacy and I guess I owe Kojima an apology because apparently everybody's just bullshitting writing all the time.

Nathan, it's Chloe. Looks like you found El Dorado. Did you know, the ancient Egyptians smoked gold?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

precision posted:

Nathan, it's Chloe. Looks like you found El Dorado. Did you know, the ancient Egyptians smoked gold?

At least the banter is better, but the rest

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rolo posted:

Give me Bloodborne 2 and name your price.

$599 US Dollars

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Did not get the chance to play DS last night like I hoped, but we are here at the weekend. I will be doing so this evening or failing that I have the whole of sunday to myself :D This time monday, I will have thoughts to share!!!

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I am much worse at COD than I remember from playing Blops3. Much..much worse.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Nathan, this is Rappel-Fastman. Did you know that the cover system is a trap?

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

precision posted:

I started playing it and managed to put around 4 hours in so far (finished the first planet) and I think the game is decent so far with some caveats. The graphics look pretty good. The movement is quite janky/twitchy for a AAA game.

The fist planet was huge, I was surprised. But... the design doesn't do enough to funnel you in the correct way so after I finished the mission I wanted to go back to the ship and after 10 minutes of going back I found out it's one way. I thought it's a bug so I looked it up on YouTube and someone created a video specifically to show how to get back to ship on that planet... with 12K views. Yikes! In getting back I found out there's a whole another big part of the level that I haven't found because I missed a fork in the road.

Also related to level design: it's dumb. It's all non-sensical climbing surfaces and icy paths that you can only slide on on the first planet. It's a far cry from the likes of Bloodborne where it at least tries to make some logical sense. I'd have much preferred way less platforming and puzzle solving but I guess this didn't have a large budget.

Another things is the save system. It apes Dark Souls with bonfire-like spots where it saves but the problem is it doesn't save anywhere else? Dark Souls saves all the time so you can't accidentally lose progress. I went back to the ship only to find a boss there, killed it and thinking it must've saved, right? I quite the game and the next day found out that no, it did not...

Last complaint is also related to aping Dark Souls imperfectly where enemies lot of time have barely any windup animations. The parry window on normal difficulty is generous but even with that some of the attacks come out so fast you can easily miss. Enemies can easily stun lock you because they decided to have the default dodge be only a side step and you have to press the key twice to do an actual dodge.

These are frustrating details but I enjoy the game despite them so far. I love the two characters that you are traveling with. I think the face animation and voice acting so far is very good, especially on the captain.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

Another things is the save system. It apes Dark Souls with bonfire-like spots where it saves but the problem is it doesn't save anywhere else? Dark Souls saves all the time so you can't accidentally lose progress. I went back to the ship only to find a boss there, killed it and thinking it must've saved, right? I quite the game and the next day found out that no, it did not...

Use rest mode hth

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

(Sekiro) Fire Isshin kicked my rear end a lot the first time, but then the next time in NG++ I did both encounters on my first try. That game, at a certain point the combat becomes not easy but easily manageable in a way that the Soulsbornes never did for me.

Maybe Bloodborne but it still always takes me several attempts to beat the last bosses in a new game cycle, but in Sekiro I finished it once, then beat it again in NG+ and got the last boss on the first try, then got the bad end in NG++ (as described above - my first time was from save scumming just to see it, then I went back to my save and carried on to the good ending) first try and at that point it felt kind of a little bit easy.

I have a mental block against choosing hard modes though so I never tried loving with the charm or bell, I just felt like I'd got my time out of it and sold the disc. Good game but weirdly not as much sticking power for me as the other games.

Escobarbarian posted:

Use rest mode hth
Rest Mode is no help if a) other people also use the system or b) you split your time between PS4s. It's a little silly it doesn't save more, properly.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Tried carrier-skating down the side of a mountain for the first time, with six packages of glass jewelry on my back, don't really want to talk about it,

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
One thing I noticed with negative reviews of DS is how aggravating they found falling down to be whereas I think its absolutely hilarious. Who doesn't think falling down is funny!? Or pooping!? goty

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Donovan Trip posted:

One thing I noticed with negative reviews of DS is how aggravating they found falling down to be whereas I think its absolutely hilarious. Who doesn't think falling down is funny!? Or pooping!? goty

Falling down in DS is hilarious. It's like perfect comedy timing.
Sam stumbles everywhere like a moron. The packages wobble everywhere. The baby is screaming his head off. Red lights are flashing.
It's so good!!!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Akuma posted:

(Sekiro) Fire Isshin kicked my rear end a lot the first time, but then the next time in NG++ I did both encounters on my first try. That game, at a certain point the combat becomes not easy but easily manageable in a way that the Soulsbornes never did for me.

Maybe Bloodborne but it still always takes me several attempts to beat the last bosses in a new game cycle, but in Sekiro I finished it once, then beat it again in NG+ and got the last boss on the first try, then got the bad end in NG++ (as described above - my first time was from save scumming just to see it, then I went back to my save and carried on to the good ending) first try and at that point it felt kind of a little bit easy.

I have a mental block against choosing hard modes though so I never tried loving with the charm or bell, I just felt like I'd got my time out of it and sold the disc. Good game but weirdly not as much sticking power for me as the other games.
Rest Mode is no help if a) other people also use the system or b) you split your time between PS4s. It's a little silly it doesn't save more, properly.

I had never seen fire isshin before this run it was so rad. I kind of wish I'd given up Kuro's charm since I'm just obliterating everything in NG++ right now. I do want to do all endings though so maybe I'll shoot through this run then do a balls to the wall chip damage on block and other harder stuff.

E: Sekiro is the best combat in any from game though because to beat the hardest bosses you need to bully the poo poo out of them constantly. It's great when you're just clashing steel non stop and the big bad game boss is struggling to use a move because this relentless rear end in a top hat just won't stop and won't miss a parry.

JBP fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 22, 2019

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

In 65 hours I fell over precisely 8 times. In all the videos I've seen of people falling over the L2+R2 prompts are right there. It's not fucken hard!

But regardless it is funny when it happens. The only time package damage was stressing me out was at the very end of the game where you have to fight the loving giant whale with a really important package on your back but I learned that it won't go beyond 99% damage so it doesn't really even matter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Does anyone else seeing a phenomenon on the PlayStation store where a few games that you already own will have ridiculously high prices listed during sales? In the latest sale, both Batman Arkham Knight and Star Strike Ultra show at a price of 100,000 yen (like USD1000). If you select them they show that you can't buy them, at least.

Also, independently of that, the PS Store keeps telling me that I could buy Yakuza Kiwami, another game I already own on this account. For that one, even clicking on it and starting the purchase, it still acts like I could buy it. Sometimes I thought about actually trying it but I'm worried it'll mess something up so I haven't.

Edit: both of these things could just be a Japan thing (though I haven't been able to find any information about them in Japanese) or just a weird quirk of my account. I really have no idea but it's always been this way on the PS4.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Nov 22, 2019

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

I was running towards one of those bridge module platforms located next to a ravine, with all the supplies to finish the bridge on my back...and right as I reached the platform I tripped at full sprint and ran straight off the cliff nearly killing myself with the fall and sending packages EVERYWHERE. And then I got scanned and a bunch of Mules crashed the party.

I wish I had thought to record it.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Escobarbarian posted:

Use rest mode hth

I never completely turn off my PS4, rest mode for life! I play Fallen Order on PC, though. Serves me right!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I was running towards one of those bridge module platforms located next to a ravine, with all the supplies to finish the bridge on my back...and right as I reached the platform I tripped at full sprint and ran straight off the cliff nearly killing myself with the fall and sending packages EVERYWHERE. And then I got scanned and a bunch of Mules crashed the party.

lol