Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/danbloom1/status/1197574475971215360

Boris Johnson, afraid of Black children.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Shot:
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1197830064106287104

Chaser:
https://twitter.com/TheIDSmiths/status/1197851136209776641

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Tsaedje posted:

You need to be earning over £100k before it costs you a positively crippling £20 a week extra.

OMG NO!
HOW DARE YOU STEAL FROM JOB CREATORS!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Anyone got a decent argument to this response? My brain is non-functional this morning.

Statement: "Labour will put minimum wage up to £10 immediately"
Response: "So lots of people will lose their jobs to pay for it - for the few not the many"

How little work does this moron think that the average person does? If you're getting <£10 of profit per person per hour then your company is already in its death throes and flying headfirst into bankruptcy.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

How little work does this moron think that the average person does? If you're getting <£10 of profit per person per hour then your company is already in its death throes and flying headfirst into bankruptcy.

Well it's actually 'If you're getting <£1.79 of profit per person per hour' as the current minimum wage (I refuse to call it living wage) is £8.21/h

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Imagine being so loving wrong that the BBC write a fact check article solely about you

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

Jippa posted:

I do all my best politics posting on the football forum I use. Lots of right wing stuff but many people that can be swayed if you offer up a proper argument.

I find that so much more rewarding than just shouting at people that are never going to agree with me on twitter.

I too am a much better poster than I appear to be here, because my most brilliant posts go on the ... other forum that I frequent.

You wouldn't know it. It's hosted in Canada.

(Not making a dig at you, Jippa. I just thought this would be a funny thing to post, thus proving my point that my best material goes elsewhere ;) )

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Deketh posted:

I don't post much here but I'm a heavy lurker, want to say thanks to the thread as a whole for making me more politically aware. I cringe to think of how uninformed my opinions were in the past, and it worries me to think of how many other people must still be so uninformed. I still don't understand a lot of the more in depth political conversation that happens here, but I'm trying!
Also, as an anxious bag of sadbrains, can I also say thanks to all you people who go out and campaign to make this a better country for those who need it so desperately now, and to get these ghouls out of power. I can't do that, but I can find some money to donate to the cause. Yesterday I took a political conversation with a colleague as far as I could handle, I think I did ok but who knows. Everything just goes woosh out of my head at the time.

I'm glad that we have been able to help you come around on the subjects of politics and squirrels :)

And as a fellow sadbrains, I say post as much as you want to, friend!

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

so nearly 80% think their children will be worse off and 50% think the economic situation is bad, and you're presenting this as a good thing for some reason?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Braggart posted:

I too am a much better poster than I appear to be here, because my most brilliant posts go on the ... other forum that I frequent.

(Not making a dig at you, Jippa. I just thought this would be a funny thing to post, thus proving my point that my best material goes elsewhere ;) )

This is a good post and I enjoyed it :)

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Braggart posted:

Ha :) You are actually right. I'm nowhere near intelligent enough to hang with the big dogs here, my football forum's politics thread is my intellectual level.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Solid. And as the BBC is a public broadcaster, does this mean he’s been publicly owned?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Tsaedje posted:

Anyone coming up against arguments against the tax changes needs to have this link on hand https://calculate.forlabour.com/

At £80k you are paying NO extra tax under the proposed Labour changes. You need to be earning over £100k before it costs you a positively crippling £20 a week extra.

noone will ever say this in the campaigns but if you're in the mindset of minimising your PAYE tax liability and max out the £40,000 annual tax free pension contribution it's actually £90,000 a year before you're paying anything at the current 40% rate and £120,000 a year before the proposed 45% rate

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Jippa posted:

Ha :) You are actually right. I'm nowhere near intelligent enough to hang with the big dogs here, my football forum's politics thread is my intellectual level.

I disagree. Post post post!

Rarity posted:

This is a good post and I enjoyed it :)

Thank you, good poster Rarity :tipshat:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I think I would be content for life if I was getting £80k a year.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Under capitalism this is unlikely. There are various means of extracting profit from various income brackets and we are surprisingly susceptible to them.

Most aspects of life are engineered to keep you a worker and consumer (or just loving left to die), with all propaganda aimed at drilling into your primitive brain that consuming things is the path to happiness. Live to work, work to spend, while rent, bills and the nice things in life go up in price.

Don't get me wrong, you are of course less vulnerable to the dangers of life as you go up the pay scale, but the fundamentals of someone ELSE making bank off the fruits of your labour remain.

I'm pushing 70k a year and I'm a job loss from a 3 month clock towards homelessness because the bulk of the fruits of my labour go to rent and utilities, followed by debt from when I wasn't earning this amount. I'm lucky I've got that buffer, but the risk is there and very real. On top of that, as things stand if I retire I am instantly in poverty. I make this point to illustrate just how loving brutal those risks are to those even worse off rather than ANY attempt to say I've got it hard and to show just how top heavy the economy currently is.

e: vvv I think that must be true assuming other needs are met by that point. If I took a pay hike to that amount, I'd be at the point I could start shifting towards saving money towards longer term life goals and shorter term emergencies.

Also where you live makes a big difference. 80k in London is a very different kettle of fish to 80k in Wales.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 22, 2019

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

happyhippy posted:

Isn't 80k past the point where on average you stop being content for life and start just constantly yearning for more?

(And yes, I know how this makes my previous statements about MP salaries look. I'm looking at reworking that particular pie in the sky policy idea)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

thespaceinvader posted:

Isn't 80k past the point where on average you stop being content for life and start just constantly yearning for more?

(And yes, I know how this makes my previous statements about MP salaries look. I'm looking at reworking that particular pie in the sky policy idea)

It is, I believe it’s around the 74k mark.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1197875954233860097

lmao

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
But also, give me 80k a year for 3 years, I would pay off my mortgage and be much, much better off to the point where one of us working for themself could keep us both alive long term, so, 80k a year would be amazing.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
If I suddenly earned more than four times as much as I do now I'd ruin myself in a week

E for basic maths check. Checks out

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I've never earned more than 8k in a year.

In some of the jobs I've had, I've seen people realise all too late what "pro rata" means.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Continuity RCP posted:

If I suddenly earned more than (I think?) four times as much as I do now I'd ruin myself in a week

If I suddenly had a lot of money I would own even more guitars than I do already. Also my own personal recording studio. That my friends could use for free.

Ah, dreams...

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Azza Bamboo posted:

I've never earned more than 8k in a year.

In some of the jobs I've had, I've seen people realise all too late what "pro rata" means.

Latin for "get hosed"

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I've never personally earned more than £12,000 in my entire life. I would have no idea how to spend 80k. I'd barely have any idea how to spend 25

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Give me £80k per year for 3 years and I will instantly have a complete collection of Gamecube games. Do it you cowards.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/TheTrashiesUK/status/1197847707769098242?s=20

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

^^^^^ :perfect:

It's Friday and I should be doing work but I keep getting distracted by Labour whatsapp groups

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Give me £80k per year and I'd completely redo the bathroom so it didn't have a shower designed for someone 4' tall in the same corner as the window that is designed as a black mold trap. I need to do this anyway within a few years before the rotting carcass of the window falls out, but like I'd do it tomorrow and have a robot toilet that wipes my rear end.

Then, uh, new kitchen? Big garage thing in the back yard? Pay the house off? Leisure wear and matching luggage, a three piece suite in a range of loving fabrics, DIY and wondering who I am on a Sunday morning? That all solid state remake of the MegaCD looks cool I guess?

e: lol that tweet

https://twitter.com/ivelostlewis/status/1197848893163233282

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
With 80k I could save 73k a year, do this for two years and then just buy a modest house in my city with no bank involvement. After that I guess I could live off 20k a year so I just save 60k a year meaning each year I work is 3 years retirement. I then work out which year I can retire assuming I'll make it to 110 ( generous)

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

That bastard Corbyn is trying to subliminally tell me to vote labour! :byodood:

Well I'll show him! I'm not even going to register to vote at all! :smug:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

With £80k a year I might be able to play the new Half Life.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Earnings chat: in 2007 before I went to live abroad, I was on about £42k which at the time was the 88th percentile according to HMRC figures. That would be something like £50-55k in today's money. (And is 'tax payers only' so all those earning NOT ENOUGH to pay tax are excluded).

95% then was £61.5k and now is around £80k.

I find it quite interesting to check out the HMRC spreadsheet (which only goes up to 2016/17 at the moment)

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/percentile-points-from-1-to-99-for-total-income-before-and-after-tax

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
80k a year is an huge amount of money, and generally means you can get away without budgeting and smooth over most of life's little niggles. But the downside is that to earn it you normally have to deal with London and insane mortgage/rent. It doesn't 'feel' like that much until you actually put it into the context of 'my lunch budget is someone else's weekly shop for a family of four'.

Of course the hope is you eventually sell that £800.000 house and get the gently caress away from London in your 40s.

E: I feel obliged to include the term hedonic treadmill here. I always wanted to own a hedonic treadmill.

Anyway :siren: thread (easier to read on the guardian live blog)

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1197807316940275712

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1197808638485766144

https://twitter.com/OborneTweets/status/1197810293948256258

RockyB fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 22, 2019

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Yes, yes, I would probably do all of these sensible things with the money before blowing it on guitars, god! :rolleyes:

:guitar:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Bundy posted:

Under capitalism this is unlikely. There are various means of extracting profit from various income brackets and we are surprisingly susceptible to them.

Most aspects of life are engineered to keep you a worker and consumer (or just loving left to die), with all propaganda aimed at drilling into your primitive brain that consuming things is the path to happiness. Live to work, work to spend, while rent, bills and the nice things in life go up in price.

Don't get me wrong, you are of course less vulnerable to the dangers of life as you go up the pay scale, but the fundamentals of someone ELSE making bank off the fruits of your labour remain.

I'm pushing 70k a year and I'm a job loss from a 3 month clock towards homelessness because the bulk of the fruits of my labour go to rent and utilities, followed by debt from when I wasn't earning this amount. I'm lucky I've got that buffer, but the risk is there and very real. On top of that, as things stand if I retire I am instantly in poverty. I make this point to illustrate just how loving brutal those risks are to those even worse off rather than ANY attempt to say I've got it hard and to show just how top heavy the economy currently is.

Ditto for me. While not earning quite as much, I do live in the north east so my mortgage & other expenses are relatively low compared to others. If I was unable to work for any reason we're realistically still only a few months away from losing the house. That's why my #1 goal now is to build up savings and get the mortgage paid off within the next 10 years.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Bundy posted:

That's pretty insane if rent and utilities can cost that much. Our whole family doesn't make that much a year and we got a house (new, we built it) and two kids and we have enough savings I checked, to last us a year, or to buy a new car (on the cheaper end of the scale anyway). And my so isn't working regularly because she is studying, even then once she works as a nurse we won't approach 70k combined. But I still feel like we got it pretty easy...

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

RockyB posted:

80k a year is an huge amount of money, and generally means you can get away without budgeting and smooth over most of life's little niggles. But the downside is that to earn it you normally have to deal with London and insane mortgage/rent. It doesn't 'feel' like that much

Bundy posted:

if you haven't got kids, you need to do some serious budgeting. london is expensive but on £70-£80k you should be putting away tens of thousands in savings each year at the very least

also as a rich (high earner, whatever, rich) person talking to two other rich people, be veeeeeeery careful with this chat. when you say it isn't enough, it's because you've baked a lot of stuff into 'necessity' in your mind that most people consider luxuries. stuff like holidays, eating out, a new car, a mortgage, and - most of all! - early retirement are ideas that you can easily get used to and drive you to want more, you will upset people by talking about it or equating it with their own financial insecurities

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 22, 2019

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Im currently just south of 40k, but that is also supporting my wife and child so my wife doesnt have to work so i dont have to shell out stupid amounts on childcare

The downside is im paying something like £340 on trains each month commuting as we moved out of the city as it was too expensive. However moving out of the city allowed me to increase the amount i give to charity by a shitload so dont send me to the wall just yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I don't think I'm ever retiring. I genuinely think the end for me is either a motorcycle crash or I just give up.