Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Heavy Mando was voiced by Jon Favreau, hence the rocketeer/ironman homage at the very end.

So now he's played two Mandalorians in Starwars, Pre Vizla (as in, pre-viz for CG rendering) in Clone Wars and now Paz Vizsla in todays episode according to the credits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

Zutaten posted:

I definitely read that scene as the Mandalorian purposefully shooting Greef in the beskar ingot to avoid killing him, because he knew it was there and knew it was blaster proof. but I might be off on that one.

Yeah, I’m right there with you

As for why Mando is so soft on the kid, I think he sees it as an orphan, like him. I tie this to him always referencing foundlings when talking to the armorer

The subtitles refer to the minigun guy as “Heavy Infantry” which is way cooler than Fistula or w/e

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dan Didio posted:

I like the idea that in Mandalorian culture if you take a very lucrative job from the Empire to support everyone, you're a piece of poo poo who needs stabbed, but if you get into a massive fight with their primary source of income and force everyone to upturn their lives and possibly get killed, you're cool as hell.

I mean, this makes perfect sense to me. Living like sewer rats taking bullshit bounty jobs isn't honorable, but it's all they have. For now, all they have is to survive. But if one of their own says, "gently caress it, screw these guys, we're better than this." Then yeah, he's gonna get the full backing of the Mandos, because they all want to be something more. Worked perfectly for me.

Captain Splendid posted:

That three-act story with the throttle knob :discourse:

Yeah, this was solid as hell.

Fuuuuuuck this show is good.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

As for why Mando is so soft on the kid, I think he sees it as an orphan, like him. I tie this to him always referencing foundlings when talking to the armorer

That's exactly what it is.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

My seven year old who I usually can't get to care about anything but Sonic the Hedgehog fukkin loves this show by the way.

He woke up and got ready for school early this morning all of his own accord so we could watch it together. :3:

When TM detonates the breeching charge he says "cool guys don't look at explosions."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Owlbear Camus posted:

When TM detonates the breeching charge he says "cool guys don't look at explosions."

The kids are alright.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Closer Look At “Mandalorian” Stagecraft Tech

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjb-AqMD-a4

This is amazing.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I made a thing.

https://twitter.com/TheGr8Aspie/status/1197897754334416896

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
so uh

why are all the other Mandalorians totally cool with Mando breaking the bounty hunter's code, to the point where they're willing to blow up their entire way of life to protect him

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Barry Convex posted:

so uh

why are all the other Mandalorians totally cool with Mando breaking the bounty hunter's code, to the point where they're willing to blow up their entire way of life to protect him

Thrawn's post makes a good case for it.

They're a warrior culture, not a bounty hunter culture. He broke the code of his vocation but was following the deeper ways of his People.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, this makes perfect sense to me.

I didn't say it didn't?

Barry Convex posted:

so uh

Because it's the way.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
THIS IS THE WAY

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Mandalorian... Greef Karga said you 'had a stew goin'.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

A flashback where Greef is giving him "bounty hunting lessons" but it's just kind of hanging out couch surfing and mooching, giving him more lessons on how to scam credits and meals than bring in his quarry.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Not just the orphan thing but he probably has a thing against hurting kids. Also, the baby did save his life.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Dan Didio posted:

I didn't say it didn't?

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you disagreed. I just wanted to expand on it.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Barry Convex posted:

so uh

Because the "bounty hunter's code" has nothing to do with their culture. It's just a business policy of guild, and judging from this episode, it seems like he was the only Mandalorian out of the whole bunch that was doing any of that work.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Yeah, sorry, didn't mean to make it sound like you disagreed. I just wanted to expand on it.

mystes
May 31, 2006

So they're actually filming the screens that are showing the realtime rendering? I was expecting them to be doing something crazy (like having synchronized 120hz screens/cameras and only showing the content on certain frames) to be able to remove the screens again in post but in the second video they explained how you could just insert a green screen if the assets weren't ready yet, so I guess not?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
It's absolutely nuts that there's a brand new, high-quality Star Wars available every week on the computer. I would've had a stroke if this came out in 1996.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Jesus Christ the first half of the episode was plodding, there is no reason they need to have anywhere near this run time

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I feel like, seeing that technology, George Lucas is super-duper wanting to make another Star Wars movie right now.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

mastershakeman posted:

Jesus Christ the first half of the episode was plodding, there is no reason they need to have anywhere near this run time

I disagree, I loved the slow burn. I knew something was gonna hit the fan, just didn't know when and wasn't disappointed.

I also love "whistling birds are very valuable, use them sparringly" *uses them all 10 minutes later*

Noirex
May 30, 2006

This ep is such a mix of :3: and cheesy Ironman/John Wick near the end and just all around badassery I love it all. Thought it was funny how The Client bemoaned the difficulty of finding a Mandalorian over getting Beskar when there was apparently a whole clan of them like 500 feet away.

And that end scene with the mass Mandos is pretty much the SWTOR Bounty Hunter Death From Above ability

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

T3hRen3gade posted:

This series is the live action realization of the kind of Star Wars I loved when I was in middle school reading stuff like the Zahn trilogy and "Tales of the Bounty Hunters." They use vibroblades like they're not even a thing, but they are, because they were forever an awesome weapon concept in the EU canon but never really shown until now. I'm really digging The Mandalorian.

I was about to post basically this exact take, drawing on those same books and others from the EU that mentioned vibroblades and I always pictured it more as just the edge of the blade vibrating super fast (like the wild "can cut anything" swords from the MGS series, high frequency blades), but I totally dig the vibrating effect they have in this series and I got a really big kick out of seeing them in Star Wars for the first time.'

Zutaten posted:

I definitely read that scene as the Mandalorian purposefully shooting Greef in the beskar ingot to avoid killing him, because he knew it was there and knew it was blaster proof. but I might be off on that one.

I thought that might be the case there. Maybe he was in too big of a rush to check him over, I was more expecting a quick cut to him slapping some Beskar down on the "hood" of his ship.

Stuff like that Greef scene and episode 3 in general definitely hit plot beats that we've seen fairly often, but it's got that fun Star Wars coating to it and it's all been done well so far so I'm definitely digging it.

Seems like someone definitely saved young Mando based on the flashbacks. A random Mandalorian obviously makes the most story sense, but I'm certainly down to see more of a fanservicey option like Jango Fett or a Jedi sweeping in. Naturally being saved by literally Yoda would be the ultimate fanservice, but no way they make things that on the nose.

Probably the funniest and honestly most interesting option is if a Jedi saves him, then immediately gets disintegrated or otherwise dispatched by a Mandalorian who collects a Trade Federation bounty on Jedi and takes young Mando in as a foundling.

Captain Splendid posted:

That three-act story with the throttle knob :discourse:

Since it really looked like the kid was trying to eat it earlier, I would have totally gotten a kick out of a comedy moment with the kid immediately trying to eat it and choking on it. Could have Mando freak out for a second and then we just see the knob floating out of its mouth while the kid makes a cute face.

I'm basically seeing wild untapped comedy potential for "baby uses force powers" is what I'm getting at here, and while I've certainly liked the more serious tone so far I'll always be down for any swings at that they choose to take.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 22, 2019

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

For brand synergy going into their next show it would be Obi-Wan

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

mastershakeman posted:

I loved it. The slow, deliberate pacing is one of the things that makes it feel like classic Star Wars, and also fits its Western theme.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

This might explain why so much of the filming is done from such a flat angle with seemingly very little camera movement , and also why the lighting is such a mess

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Noirex posted:

This ep is such a mix of :3: and cheesy Ironman/John Wick near the end and just all around badassery I love it all. Thought it was funny how The Client bemoaned the difficulty of finding a Mandalorian over getting Beskar when there was apparently a whole clan of them like 500 feet away.

I took this as an Ice Burn. He says it immediately after TM pops his praise bubble and disapoints him by breaching professional decorum and showing a more than transactional interest in The Asset. Yes, in the literal sense, Mandolorians are more difficult to locate than Mandolorain Iron, but I took a double meaning: "I thought I had found a Mandolorian in you, a cold blooded professional killer, but I can see I was mistaken."

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

The subtitles refer to the minigun guy as “Heavy Infantry” which is way cooler than Fistula or w/e

It lines up perfectly, when you consider the memory we’re shown of the Mando as a kid looking up at a Super Battle Droid about to kill him (before he’s presumably saved by a Mandalorian) is exactly what Baby Yoda would’ve seen looking up at IG-11, right before the Mando saved him

its like poetry

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

For brand synergy going into their next show it would be Obi-Wan

Hey I'm sure down for that. The whole origin story/flashback stuff for the Mandalorian strikes me as one of the best writing decisions they've made on the show. Use just short blips of the prequels since as much as people generally disliked them, there's a nice nostalgia pop for seeing them in action (and it's tying in nicely to his established dislike of droids). Then write it so however he gets out of the situation it should come across as satisfying. Even if it's the most boring logical rescuer (a clone trooper) then hey, he got saved by a clone of a Mandalorian so that's something. They can either tell a mini story of that situation through the season, or they can expand on that by having him rescued by a proper mentor character (instead of a quick cameo or full resolved arc in the season) and we could see more of his learning process and build out the Mandalorian's character that way.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I took this as an Ice Burn. He says it immediately after TM pops his praise bubble and disapoints him by breaching professional decorum and showing a more than transactional interest in The Asset. Yes, in the literal sense, Mandolorians are more difficult to locate than Mandolorain Iron, but I took a double meaning: "I thought I had found a Mandolorian in you, a cold blooded professional killer, but I can see I was mistaken."

Yeah I agree there too. Definitely with the tone and how the characters were behaving, that feels like the intent there.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 22, 2019

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

mastershakeman posted:

This might explain why so much of the filming is done from such a flat angle with seemingly very little camera movement , and also why the lighting is such a mess

I'm not seeing a lack of camera movement. There's a decent amount of panning, following and turning when it's called for. The only way I could see this is particularly static is if you compare it to Peter Jackson or something

Also tendency toward horizontal angles are, again, because it's a western

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When you accomplish your mission but get stabbed, you have a beskar success scar

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Jewel Repetition posted:

I'm not seeing a lack of camera movement. There's a decent amount of panning, following and turning when it's called for. The only way I could see this is particularly static is if you compare it to Peter Jackson or something

Also tendency toward horizontal angles are, again, because it's a western

It’s also Star Wars, which isn’t renowned for its dynamic camera angles/movement.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

there’s a few shots here and there where the camera work doesn’t feel entirely natural but by and large yeah, the low wide static shots are an artistic choice, it’s supposed to look like a Western. if anything sometimes they move too fast, particularly in the ones where we’re just tracking the Mando walking through a scene it feels like the shot should be a bit wider and him smaller in frame, to track slower but i’m also thinking more Sergio Leone, and there’s lots of different ways to shoot a “Western”

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Owlbear Camus posted:

Hmm, I didn't see it that way. It wasn't exactly immediately. The exact sentence was "The Beskar is enough to make a handsome replacement for your armor. Unfortunately, finding a Mandalorian in these trying times is more difficult than finding the steel." Sounds like he paid a lot for the reward, but the Mando's rep and efficiency was worth more then Beskar's monetary costs. And the clan was hidden, so he probably really doesn't know of their close presence. Does Greef even know?

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

See, and I thought "finding the steel" was definitely part of the double-meaning. Whatever our take away from his line reads, we can all agree we want many more scenes of Werner Herzog, Imperial Warlord, menacingly delivering space nonsense.

I am trying to cajole a guy who does neat custom 3d printable minis for the star wars miniature wargame to do one for that character. He already did the yoda babby.

https://gumroad.com/skullforgestudios

Owlbear Camus fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Nov 22, 2019

Westy543
Apr 18, 2013

GINYU FORCE RULES

Okay cool I can finally talk about this! With the flashbacks, my hedge is definitely on a jedi saving him. They're flashbacks to the Siege of Mandalore, and Ahsoka returns to lead clones there as we'll see in the last season of Clone Wars. I think it's going to be her. I also think a theme of the series is that the jedi and the mandalorians don't have to be enemies. Not that there are many jedi left, but still.

As for the bounty hunter code that doesn't mean poo poo compared to mandalorian code. When the lone rocket flew across the screen there was audible silence in the theater at the premiere, followed by people cheering and clapping when the others showed up.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

Whatever our take away from his line reads, we can all agree we want many more scenes of Werner Herzog, Imperial Warlord, menacingly delivering space nonsense.

I am trying to cajole a guy who does neat custom 3d printable minis for the star wars miniature wargame to do one for that character. He already did the yoda babby.

https://gumroad.com/skullforgestudios

I have to chuckle at generic standing officer costing more then Space baby right now. If I were him I'd be charging $20+ for Space baby, get in while the getting's good and before Disney comes after you. It looks like he hasn't had any legal trouble yet, but that's got to be something you keep in mind with that kind of operation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I have to chuckle at generic standing officer costing more then Space baby right now. If I were him I'd be charging $20+ for Space baby, get in while the getting's good and before Disney comes after you. It looks like he hasn't had any legal trouble yet, but that's got to be something you keep in mind with that kind of operation.

His STLs all cost around the same $5 per, more for multiple models. I'm not sure how he comes up with the small variations in price, since I assume most models are about the same level of effort to digitally sculpt. :shrug: I've printed them from the photoresin goop and enjoyed painting them up.
He of course offers a fig leaf over infringement ("space baby, authority commander, insurgent sergeant, dark apprentice") etc, and he will take down things that get an "official" model. Hopefully he's a small enough operation to stay out of the Empire's way.