Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dessel posted:

Yeah the long-winded leaping charge attack gives you an insta-kill animation prompt when you parry it where Cal jumps on the spider and stabs it. I wonder if there are other similar ones in the game.

If a Lesser Nydak does its three hit combo on you (the one that starts with a leap) and you parry each hit, you get an instakill prompt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
If you triple parry a Lesser Nydak you get an instant kill

efb

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Dessel posted:

Yeah the long-winded leaping charge attack gives you an insta-kill animation prompt when you parry it where Cal jumps on the spider and stabs it. I wonder if there are other similar ones in the game.

There are. The lesser whatever the fucks on Dathomir will flinch and stumble if you parry every one of their attack combo chain.

Edit: goddammit

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:smug:

Anyways, just finished the game. Why was there a lot of complaints about the final boss? I thought it was a great fight, my only complaint was that the shockwave attack needed a more obvious tell to distinguish it from the other unblockables.

Also, that ending sequence was amazing. I loved the way you heard the breathing before anything else, and it was such a fantastic oh poo poo. Reminds me of the ending of Rogue One. Whoever did the voice was a great soundalike for James Earl Jones.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

So general game length question: I'm on Dathomir, and have just ran into the Gorgara fight. Any idea roughly how far I am through the game if I just keep going through the main questline and don't gently caress around searching for hidden stuff? Just a very general idea would be ok, just trying to get a handle on when I should try to fit in the rest depending on how much is left.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Captain Hygiene posted:

So general game length question: I'm on Dathomir, and have just ran into the Gorgara fight. Any idea roughly how far I am through the game if I just keep going through the main questline and don't gently caress around searching for hidden stuff? Just a very general idea would be ok, just trying to get a handle on when I should try to fit in the rest depending on how much is left.

You could reach the end of the game in a few hours from there if you beelined it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

You could reach the end of the game in a few hours from there if you beelined it.

That's about what I guessed, thanks. I figure that long will be better to do in one go over the weekend, then.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's about what I guessed, thanks. I figure that long will be better to do in one go over the weekend, then.

I reckon you'll get the best experience from finishing it in two plays max for sure, it rollercoasters into the end.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
The plot is so so but the character writing is great.

What's weird though is just how much it there is. Hours and hours of flight dialogue between planets for something you might do 20 times in a play. Hours of dialogue with characters who show up near the end.

Loads of content hidden away unless you choose to load a lot. Its odd.

ShineDog fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Nov 22, 2019

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
It def feels like that one character was meant to be around longer.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

It feels like they though the crew would be more important to you, but you do have to load and load and load to talk to them so I just did the minimum. Half the time they're like "I'm busy go away" as well.

Right up the the end where the pilot suddenly professes his undying love for you and I'm like ok dude that's weird.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

The opening sequence was cool and atmospheric but the next two planets have been lifeless boring slogs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dogen posted:

The map tells you what’s in what room if you scroll around. It’s be impossible otherwise.

Yeah that's what I mean, I went back to the first planet and there's one "room" with four chests that I can't even imagine there's room for because it's not a big open space. It's great, but kind of daunting.

On the plus side, I'm already up to 6 stim capacity and I haven't even been to Kashyyk yet lol

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

precision posted:

Yeah that's what I mean, I went back to the first planet and there's one "room" with four chests that I can't even imagine there's room for because it's not a big open space. It's great, but kind of daunting.

On the plus side, I'm already up to 6 stim capacity and I haven't even been to Kashyyk yet lol

I haven't checked specifically, but they might be underwater where you can't get to yet.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged
Still working my way through this in my not-so-copious spare time at the moment. Fun, although the game is kinda bad at showing you which way you need to go on numerous occasions, and I swear the short dodge as opposed to rolling just doesn't work for me (doesn't help for some reason game refuses to map to my mouse's extra buttons). One question, are there any benefits to using the lightsaber with a single blade over the double saber once you get it? Kind of unclear to me if there's some sort of reason to swap back to it or not beyond looks/raising your personal difficulty in groups.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Single blade is better for fighting humans 1 on 1 I've found. Double blade is for groups and animals

Holy poo poo, the first bit on Kashyyk is crazy fun and very Star Wars. I think I kinda love this game?

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

MadDogMike posted:

Still working my way through this in my not-so-copious spare time at the moment. Fun, although the game is kinda bad at showing you which way you need to go on numerous occasions, and I swear the short dodge as opposed to rolling just doesn't work for me (doesn't help for some reason game refuses to map to my mouse's extra buttons). One question, are there any benefits to using the lightsaber with a single blade over the double saber once you get it? Kind of unclear to me if there's some sort of reason to swap back to it or not beyond looks/raising your personal difficulty in groups.
there's some sort of bug with mouse mapping atm where you need to press the button a ton of times at the prompt for remapping to initiate. w/r/t to saber-style: single saber has better single target damage as i understand it.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Single saber has better single target damage and can reliably kill those stupid Deffo rats in three hits during their hitstun. However staff saber seems to do a million damage to a single target on heavy attack so that's something to consider.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

Single blade is better for fighting humans 1 on 1 I've found. Double blade is for groups and animals

Holy poo poo, the first bit on Kashyyk is crazy fun and very Star Wars. I think I kinda love this game?

The game does a great job of breaking up the metroid prime exploration with the occasional linear cinematic setpiece.

The Order 66 sequence was amazing.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The fight against the Gorgara was very confusing and I’m not even sure how it died.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Saberchat: the single does more damage and it’s easier to time out your combos, but it’s slower and mostly does damage to only one target. The double is quick and jabby but if you try to combo too long you run the risk of getting hit. It suits a defensive style better for the most part, but as mentioned it does high damage with the heavy attack.

Also some enemies I just have better luck with the single saber for some reason, like the dual wield purge trooper. Conversely double saber is key on bounty hunters because you can volley all their blaster bolts back at them, and for the annoying to catch humanoid ones it’s nice to hit them with the heavy attack when you have a chance.

Kibayasu posted:

The fight against the Gorgara was very confusing and I’m not even sure how it died.

Space heart disease

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the vision/dream in the Vault was cool but it would have been incredible if it ended with a fight against Inquisitor Cal very late game spoiler

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Which is the best version? PC? XBONEX?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Does anyone else find this game almost impossible to navigate. Like if I'm looking at the map I can say I am <here> and I want to be <here>, but i have absolutely no idea how to make that happen.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

Does anyone else find this game almost impossible to navigate. Like if I'm looking at the map I can say I am <here> and I want to be <here>, but i have absolutely no idea how to make that happen.

It's not easy to figure it out with all the elevators and stuff. One area on Zeffo is connected via a lift but the map doesn't show a line or anything. Just a circle at each end but they're hard to fit on the same screen.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The Lone Badger posted:

Find the glowing giant yellow room on the map (that’s where you’re supposed to go), and then work your way backwards from that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Adaptabullshit posted:

Which is the best version? PC? XBONEX?

It's always PC unless the port is bad. (It was developed on PC first)

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Zeffo is easily the most complicated map

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Find the glowing giant yellow room on the map (that’s where you’re supposed to go), and then work your way backwards from that.

Oh going to the next plot point is easy, I just go the only way I can go. But going to a specific area to re-explore it or whatever is a nightmare.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just ran into a really nasty bug, but also the fix for it. PS4.

I couldn't drop down from ledges or girders. This had me completely stuck in the second tomb. I thought it might be from where I switched X and Circle in the options, but switching them back didn't work. However, doing the "reset controls" option fixed it.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Did anyone else find it weird when you're suddenly captured by the crime syndicate to fight in that arena but there's no explanation for why they took you, and then once you're rescued there's a really quick hand wavey explanation when Greez is like oh sorry Cal I didnt think my past would catch up with me, like they'd already established he owed them money/ were after him in the story? Maybe because I didnt do much planet hopping for that dialogue to trigger or i missed some dialogue with him but it really came out of the blue.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
I had exactly one loading sequence immediately prior where him and Cere are talking about gambling and Cere says something about his habits leading to trouble with the Brood. That was it

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I thought he had sold you out for something

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Wife and I were both convinced that the pilot was setting up to betray everyone to the Empire for money, but amazingly it didn't turn out that way. I wonder if there was some plot edited out of the final product.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Madurai posted:

Wife and I were both convinced that the pilot was setting up to betray everyone to the Empire for money, but amazingly it didn't turn out that way. I wonder if there was some plot edited out of the final product.

It’s more that “the scoundrel pilot betrays you” is so hard coded into Star Wars fiction that you couldn’t possibly try it with a straight face.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Yea I remember him saying he used to gamble but I literally didnt recall a single reference to The Brood until I ran into Mad Midge and was like ok I guess i'm fighting bounty hunters now awesome. I think they just didnt do a good enough job of explaining he was running and it was came across as more "oh i used to have a gambling problem"

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Nov 22, 2019

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Do you ever go to the arena if you manage to not ever die to bounty hunters or is it a scripted thing at some point regardless?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

The bounty hunter always eventually shoots an unerring unblockable taser

Ought to sell it to the empire and retire

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I have yet to beat any of the bounty hunters, the battles are so short that I never get a feel for their moves, then I die and they don't respawn until some random later time. Rinse and repeat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I have yet to beat any of the bounty hunters, the battles are so short that I never get a feel for their moves, then I die and they don't respawn until some random later time. Rinse and repeat.

If it’s the big robots then I’ve found two things that work well. First, keep the double blade lightsaber out because if you do perfect reflects of their laser bolts with that you’ll send the entire barrage back at them instead of just a single laser. Second, keep close because if you back off they’ll do their charge attack and that is nigh undodgeable without perfect timing.

If you combine those two things they’ll get semi-stuck in a pattern where they’ll do their regular 3 hit combo or their 2 hit unblockable combo and immediately follow it up with a laser barrage. You can get in 2 hits after either combo (doing 3 hits will probably mean you won’t have enough time to perfect reflect the lasers) before they start with the lasers so even if you only block the lasers you’ll still eventually whittle them down.