Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Poque posted:

TOM HANKS???

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Poque posted:

TOM HANKS???

It's one thing when they just ask you who played someone in a movie no one saw, it's another thing when they show you one of the most recognizable actors in the last 30 years.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I also have no idea how only one of them got that final. Did anything else even happen in 1901?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I also have no idea how only one of them got that final. Did anything else even happen in 1901?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1901_in_the_United_States

Apparently a heat wave that killed 9,500 people and the body of Abraham Lincoln was moved. Also, Louis Armstrong was born.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I have never heard of this event, this nickname for Buffalo, or knew that was where McKinley was shot. This seems like tri-state area minutiae, like Texans knowing details of the Alamo.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Poque posted:

TOM HANKS???

My reaction too! According to @thejeopardyfan there was a tech issue and the go lights didn’t turn on for that clue. Not sure why they didn’t replace it, maybe they were obligated to advertise it or something

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Apparatchik Magnet posted:

I have never heard of this event, this nickname for Buffalo, or knew that was where McKinley was shot. This seems like tri-state area minutiae, like Texans knowing details of the Alamo.

:same:

I thought that Chicago was the City of Light for some reason.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

I didn't know this either, but presidential assassinations are probably something to add to a list of Stuff To Know For Jeopardy. I'm terrible at history.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Spokes posted:

My reaction too! According to @thejeopardyfan there was a tech issue and the go lights didn’t turn on for that clue. Not sure why they didn’t replace it, maybe they were obligated to advertise it or something

Given Alex mentioned it opens this week, I bet the latter. Especially since Sony via Tristar is releasing it.

Funny how it was funded by the Chinese government (via Tencent) though. They likely would've hated him.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

I have never heard of this event, this nickname for Buffalo, or knew that was where McKinley was shot.

Yeah, i guess if you're a serious presidential history buff (they didn't spot McKinley in the clue, you'd have had to get there) or know the City of Light or the exposition you'd have been able to get in, and I guess there's enough angles that it's not impenetrable but it just feels difficult in a way that most regular season FJs aren't. Also picking the one assassination everyone doesn't know the city for, whew.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

also there are multiple cities of light throughout the us, not to mention THE city of light everyone knows not being in the united states acts to confuse you more. you really needed to know the presidential side of it to have a shot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Light

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, I definitely did not get that one.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
My bad. Maybe it's an imposter syndrome thing, it seemed so obvious to me that I guess I assumed everyone else must know that, too (history's also a good category for me). Like I guess I assume if I get the call to fly out the other contestants will know just as much if not more. This makes no sense given how often I blank on sports categories and stuff, but it's how my insecurity works.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I knew the answer but that's one of the more difficult finals I've seen in awhile. Usually there's more of a giveaway in the clue. I certainly wouldn't have known it if I hadn't gone through a period where I was reading a poo poo ton about assassinations.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Seems obvious to me, 1901 event (Pan-American Expo) overtaken by another event at the location (McKinley assassination). Bringing up City of Light was a red herring since no president would otherwise go to Buffalo

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The light part was more of a reference to it being one of the first huge showcases of electric lighting, I think, with it being illuminated and filmed by Edison. That and that assassination are literally the only memorable things about that World's Fair.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My bad. Maybe it's an imposter syndrome thing, it seemed so obvious to me that I guess I assumed everyone else must know that, too (history's also a good category for me). Like I guess I assume if I get the call to fly out the other contestants will know just as much if not more. This makes no sense given how often I blank on sports categories and stuff, but it's how my insecurity works.

Imposter syndrome is a very real thing and is completely normal. I still often feel way dumber than a lot of other former contestants on the internet, and I won when I went on.

Plus, as an author, I have it basically all the loving time so I know how you feel. It sucks dick.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

I didn’t know the nickname of the city, but I was reminded of McKinley’s assassination because of a recent mention when I was looking up info on The Outer Worlds (and also an LP of Rule the Waves 2 here on the forums). It’s like that coincidence where you learn a bit of trivia and then it seems to show up everywhere.

BaronVonVaderham posted:

HookShot posted:

Imposter syndrome is a very real thing and is completely normal. I still often feel way dumber than a lot of other former contestants on the internet, and I won when I went on.

Plus, as an author, I have it basically all the loving time so I know how you feel. It sucks dick.

Yeah, Imposter Syndrome is def a thing that happens to a lot of us. Dunning-Krueger also plays into it, and something I really need to catch myself on more when it happens.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Blockbuster was such a gimme.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Zesty posted:

Blockbuster was such a gimme.
Seriously even if you weren't gonna reason it out I've heard that "Bend, Oregon" factoid in like five different places off the top of my head.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

HookShot posted:

Yeah, I definitely did not get that one.

Eh, you’re Canadian (my wife didn’t know it either).

I knew it instantly, but I am a big Teddy Roosevelt fan, read a 3 book biography on him, so I knew instantly McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo. I never knew why McKinley was there until the clue though.

Btw, who is this Tom Hanks people were talking about a few nights ago?

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Duckman2008 posted:

Eh, you’re Canadian (my wife didn’t know it either).

I knew it instantly, but I am a big Teddy Roosevelt fan, read a 3 book biography on him, so I knew instantly McKinley was assassinated in Buffalo. I never knew why McKinley was there until the clue though.

Btw, who is this Tom Hanks people were talking about a few nights ago?

Some actor who was a D&D movie then dressed as a woman.

Given I live near Oyster Bay, Not getting it would've been embarassing.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Island Nation posted:

Given I live near Oyster Bay, Not getting it would've been embarassing.
sup fellow ligoon

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vulture Culture posted:

sup fellow ligoon

How's it going?

Anyway, Austin (via TMZ) bought up a interesting point, since all the contestants are known quantities, the clue staff can customize the board to hit their weaknesses as much as possible.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Island Nation posted:

How's it going?

Anyway, Austin (via TMZ) bought up a interesting point, since all the contestants are known quantities, the clue staff can customize the board to hit their weaknesses as much as possible.
Maybe, but introducing intentional bias into the questions starts to get into quiz show fixing territory in a way that's legally discouraged since the 1960 amendments to the Telecommunications Act

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

Vulture Culture posted:

Maybe, but introducing intentional bias into the questions starts to get into quiz show fixing territory in a way that's legally discouraged since the 1960 amendments to the Telecommunications Act

Good point, Between the feds, Disney, Sony and whoever else, the clue writers have their work cut out for them. Especially if it goes the full seven games

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

I have no idea how the writing part of the game works but wouldn't they have all games written out well ahead of knowing who's going to be the contestant that day?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
They have the clues and categories written, but it's really easy to swap out a column.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Groovelord Neato posted:

I have no idea how the writing part of the game works but wouldn't they have all games written out well ahead of knowing who's going to be the contestant that day?

Apparently the writers put together 6 or 7 shows worth of clues for regular game tapings, and then the guy from Sullivan Compliance throws out one or two of them at random, to keep the writers honest. I dunno if they’re eventually reused, or if there’s a special protocol for Tournament games (especially with the special Final they had at the end of last year’s ToC) though.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 23, 2019

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Was Elise drunk tonight?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Also weird that Joyee was on air questioning the math on his perfect wager

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Mister Kingdom posted:

Was Elise drunk tonight?

Hahaha I'm really enjoying Elise and she is super solid but her DD wagering needs to be a bit more risky. And by the end of double jeopardy she could not even say the names of any categories which was hilarious

you broke my grill
Jul 11, 2019

Joyee gave a shoutout to his wife in Final but I thought they made that against the rules after James did it too much

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

you broke my grill posted:

Joyee gave a shoutout to his wife in Final but I thought they made that against the rules after James did it too much

It was already against the rules before James, but they never really enforced it. I think they (the contestant coordinatiors) just reminded contestants of it more during the latter half of his run and after because he did it so often.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 23, 2019

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
roommate is watching this show on netflix and there's this completely punchable looking guy named buzzy and I cant explain why I hate his guts. He's been on way too many episodes.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

buglord posted:

roommate is watching this show on netflix and there's this completely punchable looking guy named buzzy and I cant explain why I hate his guts. He's been on way too many episodes.

What are you talking about, Buzzy Cohen is great!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
he makes me think of some socially liberal, fiscally conservative techbro that follows lean six sigma management techniques while going on weird meditation retreats specifically designed for dumb gullible hipster ceos

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

buglord posted:

he makes me think of some socially liberal, fiscally conservative techbro that follows lean six sigma management techniques while going on weird meditation retreats specifically designed for dumb gullible hipster ceos

I think he just has a striking fashion sense!

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

buglord posted:

Buzzy was love him or hate him, especially at first. I think he’s fine, and he had a bit of a different personality for jeopardy (without being a douchebag), so I was happy with his performance. And also, he is really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
He's also a super nice dude IRL.