Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ijii posted:

I hope HL:A is close to 20 hours gameplay, or else it'll feel like a tech demo. I guess I shouldn't complain too much because it's free now for Index users. I was one who purchased HL:A within an hour of it showing up on Steam without reading forums. I'm glad they auto refunded so I didn't have to go through their horrid support.

Now if they could hurry up with an exact release date so I can put for my vacation weeks. I got four weeks to burn up before June, so I might as well use it for HL:A and Cyberpunk 2077.

Keighley said it was 12 so I really doubt it'll be longer than that.

There is a VR Hammer coming though for custom levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

I think a lot of people outside of VR don't know there are headsets other than VIVE and Index.

The fact that Quest works standalone doesn't even seem to be part of the equation. Everybody is saying "I need a $600 headset AND a powerful gaming PC?! I don't have a powerful gaming pc!"

I guess most people are talking about Alyx right now and that won't work on Quest standalone though

yeah perception of VR is still stuck in the 2016 era

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Was there supposed to be literally zero fanfare when completing the Tempest sector in Stormland?
Like, I destroyed the big thing, "escaped" back to the base and...nothing. Zero acknowledgement that anything happened.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

repiv posted:

holy moley that must be a lot of $1000 headsets

Considering they control that list i'd read this with a heavy grain of salt.

I really want it to be the case, but i don't understand how apparently everyone has £900 that they can spare for when just the right VR game comes out.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

dogstile posted:

I really want it to be the case, but i don't understand how apparently everyone has £900 that they can spare for when just the right VR game comes out.

As others have pointed out the list is revenue based and this position isn't a huge change from the norm, but on the other hand I find it 100% plausible that a lot of people have £900 that they can spare for when a new Half-Life game comes out. Fans of the series are somewhat intense.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I certainly could use gun yaw correction in Pistol Whip. I'm already at -10° for the grip to line up with my Index controller (checking my peeking through the nose opening of the headset), but it also could use like 5° of yaw to the left, because IMO the gun doesn't sit right in that plane. When I use my second hand and apply a constant bend to compensate, I manage to hit a bit more accurately.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Combat Pretzel posted:

I certainly could use gun yaw correction in Pistol Whip. I'm already at -10° for the grip to line up with my Index controller (checking my peeking through the nose opening of the headset), but it also could use like 5° of yaw to the left, because IMO the gun doesn't sit right in that plane. When I use my second hand and apply a constant bend to compensate, I manage to hit a bit more accurately.

it annoys me that this isn't a standard option on every VR shooter

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Getting back into VR after like a few months off. I got Pistol Whip which is real cool. Any other notable games came out in the past few months?

Also, what the heck is Stormland? Apparently it has a bunch of cool systems, but basically no campaign and is basically a live service game?

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
I've never pre-ordered a game in my life but gently caress it, I just did for HL:A.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

NRVNQSR posted:

As others have pointed out the list is revenue based and this position isn't a huge change from the norm, but on the other hand I find it 100% plausible that a lot of people have £900 that they can spare for when a new Half-Life game comes out. Fans of the series are somewhat intense.

People buy video cards for new games.

Nobody bats a fuckin eye spending 600+ On video cards, But oh lawdy I have to buy a headset.

Amcoti
Apr 7, 2004

Sing for the flames that will rip through here
Tbf, I think plenty of people bat an eye at $600 for a video card and end up going for a cheaper model.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Combat Pretzel posted:

There's quite some salt in the Steam discussion section of HL:A. poo poo like "Valve opening themselves to class action suits", because VR-only is apparently discrimination.

I remember when square was sued into bankruptcy because they put kingdom hearts games on every platform imaginable, and they were all vitally important to understanding what was happening in any of them

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I think the price is less than a factor than the space requirement. The bare minimum for most games, if they do not allow sitting, is a clear space were you can take a least a step in each direction and enough clearance so that you do not Gorn any furniture or electronics, and I feel that is not a trival ask.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Shine posted:

I don't understand the perception of the exclusivity of VR gaming, when there are definitely people in any given Games thread who have G-sync monitors that are as or more expensive than the midrange VR headsets.

I bought a $500 G-Sync monitor because I'm real dumb, and that's more than I spent on the Rift or the Quest.

Also the Quest is excellent.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

M a x posted:

Tbf, I think plenty of people bat an eye at $600 for a video card and end up going for a cheaper model.

You clearly missed the point.

Hellsau posted:

I bought a $500 G-Sync monitor because I'm real dumb, and that's more than I spent on the Rift or the Quest.

Also the Quest is excellent.

You did not miss the point.

I know a few people with 2080tis and 1000$ monitors who refuse to get VR because "Its a stupid gimmick" and "I'm an idiot for having anything invested in VR" and "LOL VR GAMES ARE TECH DEMOZ".

Hell, I've built entire machines for a single game. >_>

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

I think the price is less than a factor than the space requirement. The bare minimum for most games, if they do not allow sitting, is a clear space were you can take a least a step in each direction and enough clearance so that you do not Gorn any furniture or electronics, and I feel that is not a trival ask.
The bare minimum for most PC games is a clear space where you can install a desk with a monitor, keyboard and mouse, room for a chair and probably a tower on the floor. That's a larger space then I've successfully played most VR games in so far, with zero broken controllers or hands. Point being, gamers will find a way to play their games. Nobody who wants to get into VR and can afford it will throw their hands up in frustration because they don't have an empty ballroom to dedicate to it.

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.
I just started reading the Alyx thread, and jeez it's horrible. I can't stop reading it though. People are weird.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

bizwank posted:

The bare minimum for most PC games is a clear space where you can install a desk with a monitor, keyboard and mouse, room for a chair and probably a tower on the floor. That's a larger space then I've successfully played most VR games in so far, with zero broken controllers or hands. Point being, gamers will find a way to play their games. Nobody who wants to get into VR and can afford it will throw their hands up in frustration because they don't have an empty ballroom to dedicate to it.

Don't be disingenuous

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Unlucky7 posted:

Don't be disingenuous

Yeah, the fact that VR adoption has been as slow as it is despite the experiences being loving fantastic is really solid evidence that the barriers to entry are very significant, and playspace near your computer is certainly one of them.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

I'm not? I have a small bedroom and was still able to clear a roughly 3x4ft space by rearranging things a little, and that's been enough room to play every game I've tried so far. Yes there a few that need more room than that, but most do not. If "making space for the activity" was a barrier to gaming then everyone would be just playing on their phones/tablets.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

bizwank posted:

I'm not? I have a small bedroom and was still able to clear a roughly 3x4ft space by rearranging things a little, and that's been enough room to play every game I've tried so far. Yes there a few that need more room than that, but most do not. If "making space for the activity" was a barrier to gaming then everyone would be just playing on their phones/tablets.

Theres a few streamers who stand on a tiny mat and thats all the space they have for stuff. Beat saber, VR chat, etc.

If theres a will, theres a way.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

bizwank posted:

Ah, the "Well, if it works for me, it works for everyone :smug:" method of tech support

bizwank posted:

everyone would be just playing on their phones/tablets.

I have some very bad news

App13
Dec 31, 2011

So I got all the valve games for free years and years ago because of the slow rollout of steam for Macs (iirc) and (again iirc) they mentioned I’d get all future valve games for free to. I wonder if HL:A is included?

Edit: It was actually due to the slow rollout of the steam controller on the Mac

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

Hell, I've built entire machines for a single game. >_>

Same. Ironically the last PC I built specifically for a game was built to run Half Life 2, which my previous rig was just not up to the task of.

Also I don’t get the “VR is so expensive” argument in 2019.

If you really want to play VR games and really don’t want to spend money you can cobble together a 4th or 5th gen i5, 16GB of RAM, a GTX 970 or 1060 and a used Rift from FB Marketplace for not a ton of money.

I would also suspect that the number of people complaining about VR still think it requires a top of the line 2019 machine and don’t realize that the minimum specs haven’t changed much.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Unlucky7 posted:

Ah, the "Well, if it works for me, it works for everyone :smug:" method of tech support

I have some very bad news
And now who's being disingenuous lol. The point I very clearly made is that you don't need a lot of space to enjoy VR; most games don't require any movement, much less walking around or flailing about wildly.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

bizwank posted:

And now who's being disingenuous lol. The point I very clearly made is that you don't need a lot of space to enjoy VR; most games don't require any movement, much less walking around or flailing about wildly.

Maybe you don't need a lot of space, but there IS a space requirement that people will hit up against, and that is the point I am making.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

bizwank posted:

The average person's arm span is roughly as tall as they are, so if you want to stretch out your arms, even if you don't turn around at all you need about a 6" x 3" space, and even then you're still really risking whacking something. That's a lot of space, especially near desks which are usually not placed in the most open areas.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Is there a difference in visual fidelity when playing a game natively on the Quest vs using the pc link? I have a decent computer (AMD 3600, GTX 1080, 16Gb ram) and am wondering if some games might look better when plugged directly in. I know some compression happens when plugged in, but hear otherwise it looks pretty good. I'm stoked to be able to experience some Rift games and Steam games (especially if I can get some cheaper than what's on the Quest store). Has anyone noticed any input lag when using it?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

pootiebigwang posted:

Is there a difference in visual fidelity when playing a game natively on the Quest vs using the pc link? I have a decent computer (AMD 3600, GTX 1080, 16Gb ram) and am wondering if some games might look better when plugged directly in. I know some compression happens when plugged in, but hear otherwise it looks pretty good. I'm stoked to be able to experience some Rift games and Steam games (especially if I can get some cheaper than what's on the Quest store). Has anyone noticed any input lag when using it?

You'll be running the PC variant in those cases, which means better graphics, which means technically yes.

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

If you really want to play VR games and really don’t want to spend money you can cobble together a 4th or 5th gen i5, 16GB of RAM, a GTX 970 or 1060 and a used Rift from FB Marketplace for not a ton of money.
Rift CV1 for 300€, AMD FX-6350 & Mainboard ASRock 970 Pro3 for 150€, GTX 1050Ti (used) for 100€. 8GB of Ram are also enough.
This setup has problems with some games, but is good enough for 90% of the stuff I played.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Does anyone have experience going from a CV1 to an Index?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Does anyone have experience going from a CV1 to an Index?

Paging Ragesaq.

whats the question? Its a better headset in every possible way and the only thing you may miss is your touch controllers.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

EbolaIvory posted:

Paging Ragesaq.

whats the question? Its a better headset in every possible way and the only thing you may miss is your touch controllers.

Mostly is it worth it. I'll likely end up getting it as it has been 4 years since the CV1 release, just wanted to hear people's thoughts who have upgraded and how they feel about it.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll want to play Alyx on Valves hardware.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

bizwank posted:

this is an excellent punchline

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Mostly is it worth it. I'll likely end up getting it as it has been 4 years since the CV1 release, just wanted to hear people's thoughts who have upgraded and how they feel about it.

The more I think about it, the more I think I'll want to play Alyx on Valves hardware.

Saq goes on and on about how great the jump was. Headphones are a billion times better, The mic is insane good, view quality is higher.

Only real reason I dont have one is no wireless yet. Its 100% the only reason.

Hellsau posted:

this is an excellent punchline

I had someone try to argue VR being "bad' Based on mobile game playing data.

lmfao

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

App13 posted:

So I got all the valve games for free years and years ago because of the slow rollout of steam for Macs (iirc) and (again iirc) they mentioned I’d get all future valve games for free to. I wonder if HL:A is included?

I think so, yes? It has been added to the "Steam Master" bundle on Steam, which seems to be the "every valve game ever" bundle they use for that.

pootiebigwang posted:

It's hard to do like-for-like comparisons since obviously the PC version is going to look better to begin with, but I'd certainly say the PC link versions look no worse. As for lag while I'm certainly not a top Beat Saber player I wasn't able to notice the additional input delay when playing simpler Expert+ tracks.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

EbolaIvory posted:

Saq goes on and on about how great the jump was. Headphones are a billion times better, The mic is insane good, view quality is higher.

Only real reason I dont have one is no wireless yet. Its 100% the only reason.

I had someone try to argue VR being "bad' Based on mobile game playing data.

lmfao

Great to hear! I have heard rumours of a wireless kit on the horizon...

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Great to hear! I have heard rumours of a wireless kit on the horizon...

Yeah gaben told one of our community members to his face "its something we've already thought about". SO its coming. Just, who knows when.

*Guy was one of the first preorder people, so valve flew him out to pickup his index or w/e*

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!

EbolaIvory posted:

Yeah gaben told one of our community members to his face "its something we've already thought about". SO its coming. Just, who knows when.

*Guy was one of the first preorder people, so valve flew him out to pickup his index or w/e*

Oh that's awesome. I wonder if it'll be an attachment or if it'll be a standalone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
Anyone know of a way to polish out some scratches on my Vive lenses?

I remember seeing something linked earlier in the thread, but that product had a big warning saying "DO NOT USE ON PLASTIC OPTICS".

That made it feel a bit sketchy.