Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Psychepath posted:

Hing instinctively knowing the importance and alignment of Ben's characters based on their voice is a real through line for the Dragon Friends.

I listened to the most recent episode and lol yep

Hing knows Ben too well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Hing had the most Hing moment imaginable on today's stream when he asked if cats have tails

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I've been listening to the Twitch podcast and I'm about half way through it. I was beginning to get a little annoyed with Freezo's schtick. Not trusting anyone and always trying to get one up on people who are just trying to help him was becoming very annoying especially because it made things hard for my fave, Bethany, BUT THEN he was proved absolutely right and Beth paralyzed him at exactly the wrong moment and it was fantastic character payoff.

I'm really enjoying it, although the audio quality is a bit lower than the main podcast. It's not too bad though.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Really as much as everyone loves to dunk on Hing for being...Hing...he does deserve props for making characters that normally would be absolutely insufferable super loving fun.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

sexpig by night posted:

Really as much as everyone loves to dunk on Hing for being...Hing...he does deserve props for making characters that normally would be absolutely insufferable super loving fun.

when i heard about this show, from the description of freezo, i 100% thought he was the dude i would hate lol.

but hing is so authentically and inescapably himself that it works even when it shouldn't

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, it helps that he's an actual comedian who knows how to leverage it, instead of someone trying to be as tryhard as edgelord can be.

It also helps massively that everyone involved is ready to pick up what everyone else is laying down, and account for it.

And unrelatedly, considering how many garbage magical items there are in DnD(tm)(r)(c)("The only Roleplaying game allowed to have popular Podcasts."), Dip in the Bag is an amazing and excellent mechanic. Way more fun than just rolling for a level-appropriate item off a dull list.

Especially with the 'Here's what you could have gotten.' roll up towards it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I think the cast and audience make it work, too. The group knows and trusts each other enough that Hing feels comfortable pushing it, and Dave and the other draggos are comfortable telling him when he’s pushed too far. And because they’re all friends, he’s good about listening and not making a big deal about it.

The audience is really earnest too; like there’s a bit in season 2 where Hing keeps accusing an NPC of being autistic, and the audience boos him a little and he stops; they’re good about giving that kind of feedback and the players (not just Hing, but usually Hing) are good about taking the note and moving on.

That, and the way seasons 2 and 3 develop into a meta, and then literal, narrative of “the world versus Michael Hing” make it very rewarding.

In the planning session/q&a stream they did a while back, there’s a bit where Dave talks about the group dynamics and the perspectives that everyone brings to the table, and there’s a friendly but earnest talk about all this that I thought was interesting. I also enjoyed Simon getting a shout out for being the guy who actually wants to win the game, and that the podcast would not work without him.

It also helps to listen to FTAGH, where Hing is a perfectly personable and empathetic person

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

eke out posted:

when i heard about this show, from the description of freezo, i 100% thought he was the dude i would hate lol.

but hing is so authentically and inescapably himself that it works even when it shouldn't

yea it really helps that most of Freezo's insane poo poo has come from Hing genuinely just doing Hing (or at least a more played up version of Hing, what being comedy and all) and only when everyone goes 'what the gently caress are you doing though' does he realize he's created a magical sociopath, rather than him actively trying to be 'that guy'.

Also yea, listening to FTAGH and seeing that Hing is just a perfectly nice seeming and normal dude aside from some very odd blind spots helps. Also FTAGH is just funny as poo poo and should be listened to.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

My elevator pitch for s1 of dragon friends is. “Imagine if you were listening to TAZ only Taako murders Barry BlueJeans in episode 1” I stand by that 5 years later.

geri_khan
May 16, 2009

Fucking blocks... I'm gonna climb the shit outta you!
Season 5 has been extremely strong, some of my favorite DF shows, and I'm going to be sad to see it go. At least until S6.

And I'm never able to catch them live, but the twitch streams have been really fun too. I wish I remembered the episode but Freezo's rant at a demon who came to gloat at him was superb, and Bethanee's been great fun and really come along from where she started.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://twitter.com/alex_c_lee/status/1196220156139069440

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
What makes you poo poo (adj)?

Or what makes you poo poo (verb)?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
What does your heart tell you?

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
My goodness, this season finale is rowdy.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I'm torn on Tom Cardy; on the one hand, I think he's really come to fill in the big shoes left behind by Benny Davis, but on the other hand, he's also really funny when he plays a character, so I don't know which I want him to do more

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That season finale was a hell of a wild ride, and I agree that Tom Cardy has really good chemistry as a guest player.

So what are the predictions for the setting of season 6? My first thought was a seafaring campaign, but then I realized that would be pretty similar to season 4, just with water instead of phlogiston. Also, apparently there is no official sea or ocean based campaign setting.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I'm torn on Tom Cardy; on the one hand, I think he's really come to fill in the big shoes left behind by Benny Davis, but on the other hand, he's also really funny when he plays a character, so I don't know which I want him to do more

he's been getting good mileage out of the zelda soundtrack jokes

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

He wasn't doing the music for these last two episodes I don't think, that was a different Tom.

Also something interesting about the last episode; I feel like multiple times this season, Hing correctly anticipated NPCs intentions based on his connection with Ben; I wonder if Ben used the same connection to know better than to offer Banknote the choice to betray his friends at the end, because as Hing points out, he would have absolutely gone for it

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

eke out posted:

The anticipatory moment between the "Link is opening a chest" track and the "You got a thing!" track was palpable.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

just got up to Snailzo in Beef Babes and made myself cry from laughing

how does Hing do this stuff to himself

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

inthesto posted:

So what are the predictions for the setting of season 6? My first thought was a seafaring campaign, but then I realized that would be pretty similar to season 4, just with water instead of phlogiston. Also, apparently there is no official sea or ocean based campaign setting.

They sail across the seas and arrive in Chiba.

They never travelled in time at all..

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

My only hope for a new season is a new Hing character. I want to see every possible attempt he can make to be a true good boy.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

inthesto posted:

That season finale was a hell of a wild ride, and I agree that Tom Cardy has really good chemistry as a guest player.

Now I want to see the draggos play 7th Sea

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Not Operator posted:

My only hope for a new season is a new Hing character. I want to see every possible attempt he can make to be a true good boy.

The man simply cannot be trusted with power.

https://twitter.com/lonelydandruff2/status/1202098800292179969

(Hing, Dave, Shak, Tom, and Demi are all at Disneyland and incredibly wholesome if you follow their instagrams)

Psychepath fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 4, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Psychepath posted:

(Hing, Dave, Shak, Tom, and Demi are all at Disneyland and incredibly wholesome if you follow their instagrams)

Dave threw up on the ferris wheel (canon)

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

Dave threw up on the ferris wheel (canon)

A MAGICAL TIME.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Psychepath posted:

If Tom and Demi talk Disneyland on bst.png I may have to go back to it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Dave is going to be part of a Streaming RPG panel at PAX Unplugged in Philly, and of course I'm going on Saturday and the panel is on Sunday. Cool. Maybe he and the crew will be around otherwise to run into or something.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

not 100% certain what's happening here but i think it's relevant to this thread

https://twitter.com/DemiLardner/status/1205183721126498304

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1205011124258652162

Ben should do this on an episode, so we can hear how Alex can't figure out where the cube is and how Hing doesn't know the difference between a cube and a sphere

inthesto fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 12, 2019

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

eke out posted:

not 100% certain what's happening here but i think it's relevant to this thread

https://twitter.com/DemiLardner/status/1205183721126498304

I wonder what it would take to get pft to guest on dragon friends. He had guy Montgomery and tim batt on an episode of spontaneanation so that’s vaguely adjacent

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

I wonder what it would take to get pft to guest on dragon friends. He had guy Montgomery and tim batt on an episode of spontaneanation so that’s vaguely adjacent

yeah i feel like the only thing stopping DF from having a lot more bigger-named (at least to US/EU audiences) guests is just that the person has to physically be in Sydney since they don't ever do remotes (i think?)

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Looks like Hing's been at UCB recently, because I'm 99% sure that's him in that "Bloomberg dance' video that's been making the rounds recently, so that's one step closer to getting PFT.

(https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a88ej/these-are-the-comedians-behind-the-fake-bloomberg-dance-viral-video)

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Roach Warehouse posted:

Looks like Hing's been at UCB recently, because I'm 99% sure that's him in that "Bloomberg dance' video that's been making the rounds recently, so that's one step closer to getting PFT.

(https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/3a88ej/these-are-the-comedians-behind-the-fake-bloomberg-dance-viral-video)

I honestly forgot they were in LA, and I thought the first time I saw it "is that Hing in the front?", so I'm glad you reminded me they were there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Ok I’m not crazy, that’s definitely him, right?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
That's 100% Hing. Dave retweeted the video too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Whomst amongst us

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

https://twitter.com/bencjenkins/status/1207789377813827584?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

hing not understanding why the phone company won't just trace calls for him is a very classic FTAGH moment