Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Heners_UK posted:

I'm in a unique situation where I need to shove my new card in an old server with no spare 8pin power cables, and also restricted PCIe length (6.59in max). Unless something changes before BF, I'll have to get a straight 1650, likely Zotac's super compact one.

I'm fine with it as this is going to be occasional gaming (a few hours in the evening if I'm not too tired) and don't care about sacrificing to get it.

PCIe length may be a difficult limit unless you can do cutting, but I would think a server PSU would have enough power to handle a GPU through some adapter. I once had to install a GPU in a Dell SFF and the only extra power was one SATA. I used a SATA -> Molex adapter, Molex -> 2*Molex splitter and a 2*Molex -> PCIe power adapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU from an RX470 to either an RX590 or 1660 Super. It's going to be for couch gaming on a 1080p TV as well as streaming to my MacBook.

The main issue is that it's either going to be located in a poorly ventilated cupboard or right behind the TV, so I need a quiet GPU and/or one that doesn't generate much heat.

I don't really care about raytracing etc, but ideally I'd like a card that'll last me for 2-3 years of 1080p gaming at high (and eventually medium) quality.

I'm leaning a bit toward nVidia as I use some software packages at work that benefit from CUDA acceleration, but if the heat/power consumption is off the charts I'd rather go AMD.

eames
May 9, 2009

heise.de got their hands on a OEM RX5500 and reports 120W power consumption with performance similar to a reference RX580. Price still unknown.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

eames posted:

BTW the $1k Valve Index is sitting on #1 of steams best selling list. I preordered the original steam controller and I learned my lesson.

I mean, the index has been out for a while and is very highly reviewed, it's just stupid expensive. I'm not saying the new HL will be worth buying a $1000 peripheral, but at least you get a usable and quality product out of it, unlike the steam controller.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I'm thinking of upgrading my GPU from an RX470 to either an RX590 or 1660 Super. It's going to be for couch gaming on a 1080p TV as well as streaming to my MacBook.

The main issue is that it's either going to be located in a poorly ventilated cupboard or right behind the TV, so I need a quiet GPU and/or one that doesn't generate much heat.

I don't really care about raytracing etc, but ideally I'd like a card that'll last me for 2-3 years of 1080p gaming at high (and eventually medium) quality.

I'm leaning a bit toward nVidia as I use some software packages at work that benefit from CUDA acceleration, but if the heat/power consumption is off the charts I'd rather go AMD.

The 1660S uses 2/3rds the power (/generates less heat) than the 590.

Mind you, a poorly ventilated cupboard is a bad environment for any GPU. A quality cooler should keep it quiet with unrestricted airflow but you'd have to check reviews of individual models for actual loudness.

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!

ItBreathes posted:

I mean, the index has been out for a while and is very highly reviewed, it's just stupid expensive. I'm not saying the new HL will be worth buying a $1000 peripheral, but at least you get a usable and quality product out of it, unlike the steam controller.

I thought it was pretty easy to look at the steam controller and go yea.. no. I had one of those SNES controllers back when I was a kid and hated it.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Stream quality will be better with an Nvidia card. Their implementation of hardware encoding looks nicer than AMD's.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Saukkis posted:

I used a SATA -> Molex adapter, Molex -> 2*Molex splitter and a 2*Molex -> PCIe power adapter.

Somebody make the appropriate thread title, I'm on mobile :shrug:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
GPU Megat[H]read - My PCIe Power Routing Has More Splits than Voldemort's Soul

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

It's safe to say that the 1660 super is the best mid range card atm right?

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Enos Cabell posted:

What else to say but "lol".

Half Life: Alyx aka "It's Been Almost 13 Years Since HL2:E2 But We Pray You Haven't Lost Interest In The Original HL Franchise Since We Never Concluded The Story"

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Saukkis posted:

PCIe length may be a difficult limit unless you can do cutting, but I would think a server PSU would have enough power to handle a GPU through some adapter. I once had to install a GPU in a Dell SFF and the only extra power was one SATA. I used a SATA -> Molex adapter, Molex -> 2*Molex splitter and a 2*Molex -> PCIe power adapter.

I'll be honest, I think I'm limited to somthing that would fit well into a SFF case (cutting not really something I'd like to do). I can't remember offhand but I think that I've got a few molex free in there. No 8pin for sure and likely no 6pin. Truth is that server is mainly for stuffing hard drives in (unraid box) and GPU use of any sort is a secondary concern. That said, if I found a good option that sips power and could work in this frankenserver, I'd consider it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Bought the majority of my parts for my new 3700X build except a GPU, i'm coming from a 1060 6GB and i'm eyeing the 5700/5700XT series, any particular manufacturers I should stay away from? I've seen a couple Black Friday deals up already but wondering if I should hold out for a better mfg.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...0-021-_-Product

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Half Life: Alyx aka "It's Been Almost 13 Years Since HL2:E2 But We Pray You Haven't Lost Interest In The Original HL Franchise Since We Never Concluded The Story"

"You're Old Now And Have Disposable Income"

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Imagine how many fans of the series has passed on since episode 2 :smith:

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

BOOTY-ADE posted:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

"You're Old Now And Have Disposable Income"

The working title of "Half Life: 60% of Americans would be pushed into debt by a $1000 emergency but this gaming peripheral falls into disposable income" was too long and didn't test well

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Granpappy would have wanted me to preorder

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Photex posted:

Bought the majority of my parts for my new 3700X build except a GPU, i'm coming from a 1060 6GB and i'm eyeing the 5700/5700XT series, any particular manufacturers I should stay away from? I've seen a couple Black Friday deals up already but wondering if I should hold out for a better mfg.

https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeo...0-021-_-Product

Unfortunately it's more of a "what should you buy" lineup. The Sapphire Pulse/Nitro+, Powercolor Red Dragon/Red Devil, and Gigabyte Gaming OC are all good. The blower cards aren't great even for blower cards. The MSi Mech and Evoke are uncharacteristically noisy and a bit hot. Asus' TUF X3 is apparently terrible. XFX's Thicc and Raw cards (lol) are as bad as their names, though apparently the Thicc has been mostly fixed in a revision (though there doesn't seem to be a way to tell if you're buying a revised card).

Unfortunately, there aren't any reviews of the Challenger D. ASRock's coolers don't have the best reputation, though. Some users have said it's decent, while others report clicking sounds from the fans.

If you're handy, you could also get the $300 version and trade out the cooling for a $50 Accelero Extreme III or IV. It might even be flashable with a 5700 XT bios, but you'd have to do some research.

E: MSI Gaming X is also good!

EE: Apparently the updated XFX cards are labeled "Thicc II" and "Raw II", and are now decent.

Stickman fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 22, 2019

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Mayman10 posted:

It's safe to say that the 1660 super is the best mid range card atm right?

Going up the price scale, i think the best "mid range" parts are right now and their use case with a good CPU:

1650 Super at $160 (1080p/60 Ultra in most things, but less headroom for future games and some dips into the 40s for 1% lows)
1660 Super at $219 (1080p/60 Ultra in nearly everything)
Radeon 5700 at $300 (1440p/60 or 1080p/144)

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Stickman posted:

EE: Apparently the updated XFX cards are labeled "Thicc II" and "Raw II", and are now decent.

These have always had the "II" moniker, even the first (bad) revision. Better to stay away.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

I'm curious how large the user base for Half Life: Alyx is going to be.
Min requirements are 12GB RAM, i5-7500/Ryzen 1600, Nvidia 1060 or RX580.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Lambert posted:

These have always had the "II" moniker, even the first (bad) revision. Better to stay away.

Ah, thanks - good advice!

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

shrike82 posted:

I'm curious how large the user base for Half Life: Alyx is going to be.
Min requirements are 12GB RAM, i5-7500/Ryzen 1600, Nvidia 1060 or RX580.

Isn't that about the requirements for any VR game?

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ha Ha Ha... YES!
I realize those are the minimum requirements, but those aren't too far off the recommends specs for RDR2, so I think the market is larger than people think. I ran the numbers and 35% of respondents to the Steam H/W survey have a card RX480 or better, though I don't know how well it accounts for mobile GPUs.

quote:

Red Dead Redemption 2 Recommended Requirements

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K / AMD Ryzen 5 1500X.
RAM: 12 GB.
VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 6GB / AMD Radeon RX 480 4GB.
FREE DISK SPACE: 150 GB.
DEDICATED VIDEO RAM: 3072 MB.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
People who have put an AIO watercooler on your GPU, how big was it and where did you put the radiator? In my case I could either get a 120mm rad and put it at the exhaust, or get a 240mm and put it at the front intake. I don't really have the option to put it at the bottom or top of the case. The first option seems underdimensioned and the second one would heat up the intake air for the CPU, but maybe that's not such a big deal?

I don't want to build a custom loop or watercool the CPU for the time being.

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

taqueso posted:

Isn't that about the requirements for any VR game?

The 1060/580 is about average for a VR game. 12GB Ram minmum is not.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

TheFluff posted:

People who have put an AIO watercooler on your GPU, how big was it and where did you put the radiator? In my case I could either get a 120mm rad and put it at the exhaust, or get a 240mm and put it at the front intake. I don't really have the option to put it at the bottom or top of the case. The first option seems underdimensioned and the second one would heat up the intake air for the CPU, but maybe that's not such a big deal?

I don't want to build a custom loop or watercool the CPU for the time being.

Front of the case. Don’t know what GPU you’re cooling but a 240 mm is far and away better than a 120 mm.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Nov 23, 2019

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

B-Mac posted:

Front of the case. Don’t know what GPU you’re cooling but a 240 mm is far and away better than a 120 mm.

Was thinking about a 2080/2080S. I know a 120mm is underdimensioned for that though.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

TheFluff posted:

Was thinking about a 2080/2080S. I know a 120mm is underdimensioned for that though.

You plan on doing the kraken g12 mod or a different AIO? I’d toss a 240 mm or 280 mm if you can fit it.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

B-Mac posted:

You plan on doing the kraken g12 mod or a different AIO? I’d toss a 240 mm or 280 mm if you can fit it.

Kraken G12 yeah. I use 2x140mm intake fans at the moment with some space to spare so a 280mm should be possible. 360mm could be possible but it's sort of doubtful, there's a PSU shroud at the bottom that's probably gonna interfere but I haven't planned that far ahead yet. Could maybe do push-pull too if it helps, but I don't know how I'd mount that.

e: hmm. looking at the case manual it should be possible to remove a plastic cover piece from the PSU shroud and mount a 280mm at the bottom front of the case with at least a 120mm or maybe a 140mm above that for the CPU. That sounds pretty neat.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Nov 23, 2019

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Stickman posted:

Unfortunately it's more of a "what should you buy" lineup. The Sapphire Pulse/Nitro+, Powercolor Red Dragon/Red Devil, and Gigabyte Gaming OC are all good. The blower cards aren't great even for blower cards. The MSi Mech and Evoke are uncharacteristically noisy and a bit hot. Asus' TUF X3 is apparently terrible. XFX's Thicc and Raw cards (lol) are as bad as their names, though apparently the Thicc has been mostly fixed in a revision (though there doesn't seem to be a way to tell if you're buying a revised card).

Unfortunately, there aren't any reviews of the Challenger D. ASRock's coolers don't have the best reputation, though. Some users have said it's decent, while others report clicking sounds from the fans.

If you're handy, you could also get the $300 version and trade out the cooling for a $50 Accelero Extreme III or IV. It might even be flashable with a 5700 XT bios, but you'd have to do some research.

E: MSI Gaming X is also good!

Thank you very much! I’ve set a couple camelcamelcamel alerts for the recommended cards maybe try to catch a deal, I’m traveling till mid December but the GPU is the last thing i need to buy for my new pooper.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Please don't flash a 5700, it's the only AMD card in recent memory that was not tuned by an imbecile.
Sadly the 5500 seems to have fallen back to old, bad habits (over 1100mV on a small 7nm chip) :smith:

In other news, 1650Super won the entry level duel against the 5500. 5% performance, 20% perf/W, 10% perf/$ based on launch day estimates

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Nov 23, 2019

Vrtra
Mar 25, 2017

the monster in your nightmares
Hey y'all, I have an EVGA Super XC Ultra Gaming Geforce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, and I was wondering what your thoughts on getting some more performance out of it were? I dunno if it's even worth it. I'm aiming for 1440p/144hz on High/Ultra settings so I thought a bit of an overclock might be advisable.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

Delirious Wolf posted:

Hey y'all, I have an EVGA Super XC Ultra Gaming Geforce RTX 2070 Super 8 GB, and I was wondering what your thoughts on getting some more performance out of it were? I dunno if it's even worth it. I'm aiming for 1440p/144hz on High/Ultra settings so I thought a bit of an overclock might be advisable.

Can most likely squeeze at least another 5% if not a bit more. I’d start with overclocking the core. Start at +50 and work your way up increments of 15 until you’re unstable, many GPUs can do 100 or better. Then start your memory at +500 and work up in increments of 50. Max your power limit and the cooler the card runs the higher it can boost. I use MSI afterburner but EVGA has their own overclocking software called Precision.

Every 100mhz on core is roughly 5% and memory is good for low single digits gains too.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 23, 2019

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

TheFluff posted:

I'd disagree. I run a 1080Ti, which has similar TDP once overclocked, on a 140mm set as exhaust and it's perfectly fine even on low fan settings (like <50C maxed out with fans running basically silently). Even a 120mm would be enough. 240/280mm is overkill for a GPU, honestly.

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003

DrDork posted:

I'd disagree. I run a 1080Ti, which has similar TDP once overclocked, on a 140mm set as exhaust and it's perfectly fine even on low fan settings (like <50C maxed out with fans running basically silently). Even a 120mm would be enough. 240/280mm is overkill for a GPU, honestly.

Gonna disagree with you there. The 120mm AIO was never enough when I tried it on the 1080 ti unless I had the fans in leaf blower mode. If you’re going to go the g12 route you might as well grab a 240 or 280, especially since Turing is temperature sensitive and drops clocks the higher the temps. Worth spending the money now, especially if you transfer the AIO to another card in a few years. Just my opinion of course.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Nov 23, 2019

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Delirious Wolf posted:

. I'm aiming for 1440p/144hz on High/Ultra settings
Even a 2080Ti will be able to push that fps in only few games (Battlefields V Frostbite engine allows 144 fps for example, Overwatch as well) on 1440p.
So keep your expectations in check or tune down some sliders.

A 2070S won’t even touch 100 fps in Ultra in many games, especially not open world titles like the whole Ubi Soft collection of AC, Watchdogs 2, Ghost Recon, Far Cry 5+New Dawn or The Division 2.
Metro Exodus will wreck your fps and Tomb Raider 2016 and 2018 as well. Deus Ex Mankind Divided will say no to 1440p/144, as well as the recent STar Wars Jedi Fallen Order or Red Dead Redemption 2, too.

TLDR:

If you really want triple digit fps on high and Ultra Settings, we are talking about a 2080Ti.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Fwiw, my 2070S does just fine under an H55, a 120mm rad

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
Interesting input, thanks all of you! I ended up ordering a 280mm X62 because it looks like I can actually fit it without compromising the air intake to the CPU by much if at all. Quite interesting though that a 120 or 140mm AIO is enough to deal with >200W.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eames
May 9, 2009

Unlike with CPUs the very large Die of a GPU makes heat transfer easy. Once the heat is soaked up by the coolant, the effectiveness of a radiator increases the warmer it becomes relative to ambient.
With CPUs the thermal “bottleneck” is usually between the Die and the heatsink due to the small surface size, so you have to counter that with lower coolant temperatures which makes radiators less efficient, requiring larger areas to dissipate the heat.

That’s why a 120mm AIO could possibly cool a 300W GPU to reasonable core temperatures while a 300W CPU would hit >100C in seconds.