Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Massively OP Interview: CIG’s Jake Muehle on the player economy and doing crimes in the Star Citizen universe

Excerpt:

TCW
Sep 28, 2015

echothreealpha posted:

I know some of you guys used to be backers, when did it start turning sour?

I backed in 2014, before the Hanger Module came out. I was looking for a game to play on my new PC and the concept interested me. I had never played a space sim before backing SC so I was unfamiliar with Chris Robert's past. I was fine with the delays because I was playing other games at the time. Then during CitizenCon 2016, CIG spent 40 minutes talking about forum software (Spectrum). It had become clear that the game was not the focus of the project anymore. I applied and received a refund in December that year.

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Has anyone said Stanton Citizen yet?

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Sorry if this has already been posted...

XPGamers, youtube channel with 400k subscribers: "Star Citizen - Why I Don't Recommend Buying It"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDBgLFjNPM

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

From the SC Leaks Discord:

:ninja: Remember the nexus? It's the new gamemode coming up.

:ninja: The gamemode will be called "Theatres of War"

:ninja: It's going to act similarly to a battlefield style gamemode.

:ninja: Mixed infantry map with high player count.

:ninja: There will be Nox's to drive as well, and possibly more vehicles.

:piss:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

Bar Citizen

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Quavers posted:

Bar Citizen

That painting in centre frame, right at the back though.

Looks a bit culty.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

What time does the poo poo-show start?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol more pie-in-the-sky BS of what they might add someday

Yes, players may be able to actually sell out of their ships! Someday! Maybe! I just thought of it now, and 5 other ideas that we might do!

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

*eventually* NPCs. Ahaha. Even in the theorycraft-verse NPC crew have been shoved back into 'eventually'.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Quavers posted:

Hmm, something similar in Agent’s AMD post:

TheAgent posted:

new gameplay modes coming online at a rapid pace

Why the hell would new gamemodes make any kind of sense at this point? Other than: Because they’re easier to do than actually improving the PU...

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Quavers posted:

:lol: what did Zyloh say to you?

Heh, IIRC I was 'innocently' asking who Uncle Derek was in some usual turbo-nerd-space-rape-crate thread because somehow he was brought up again as the boogie man. Again, without using his name, it was during peak Warlord paranoia time and in some bizarre obscure thread and you can trust my trolling obfuscation skills are pretty drat good. So either I was reported or he actually reads all the threads and drew the inference. Perhaps I flew a little a close to the sun but whatever. One had to really read between the lines in my post but my god somebody did.

As for the response, got it in a PM. He basically said not to make mention of "that person" even though I didn't use his name directly. So instead of getting a probation, he told me that he would let it go "this time" and take it easy on me since I didn't write "that person." And of course, the words "Derek Smart" were never mentioned in his response and as a word of advice to never bring up the mythical creature up again.

Of course due to the timezone difference before he rolled out of bed and pretended to do his job I had a jumpstart on a few libations and off went the refund email. Sort of proud of myself, that was when they handed them out but they would send out a "We ask you to reconsider" type before doing so. Apparently my drunk fueled ticket skipped that step. :v:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Quavers posted:

Bar Citizen

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
When is the CitizenCon main event? I thought it was tomorrow. Wanna get in on that Livestream.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Drunk Theory posted:

When is the CitizenCon main event? I thought it was tomorrow. Wanna get in on that Livestream.

It's tomorrow, I think it starts at 1300 UTC.

I might be wrong though as that seems awfully early in the day.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Colostomy Bag posted:

As for the response, got it in a PM. He basically said not to make mention of "that person" even though I didn't use his name directly. So instead of getting a probation, he told me that he would let it go "this time" and take it easy on me since I didn't write "that person." And of course, the words "Derek Smart" were never mentioned in his response and as a word of advice to never bring up the mythical creature up again.
Derek Smart is like Voldemort to these people :psyduck:

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

:stadia:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Can Chris top Elon's claim of his truck pulling "near infinite mass"?

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?
its interesting that arguably their biggest recent actual feature - the planet tech - was a fluke. if I remember correctly it was basically implemented by a single programmer who happened to be interested in terrain generation (like a lot of programmers are), working in his free time. space-to-planet gameplay is all flash with no gameplay advantages so of course it was right up chris' alley

kind of weird that it became a major defining feature of a $250,000,000 project several years in, but i'm just an Entitled Brat who doesnt understand Game Development

zebedy fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 22, 2019

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Table for another massively expensive toy ship model thing?

And, only 930 years to go until it's flyable, yay?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sabreseven posted:

Table for another massively expensive toy ship model thing?

And, only 930 years to go until it's flyable, yay?

Finally, an accurate statement from CIG.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Bwahahahaha, that's right up there with "Meth. We're on it."

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

It's a Whack-a-Derek booth.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

TremorX posted:

Bwahahahaha, that's right up there with "Meth. We're on it."
"0 days since adam schiff followed house rules" was the best and still makes me lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

:v: Okay, Citizens, rise and shine, and don't forget your wallets 'cause it's cooooold out there today.

:classiclol: It's coooold out there every day. What is this, Pacific Palisades?

:v: Not hardly. And you know, you can expect hazardous ramps later today with that, you know, that, uh, that Blizzard thing.

:classiclol: That Blizzard - thing. That Blizzard - thing. Oh, well, here's the report! The Judge Dolly Gee Jury Service is calling for a "big Blizzard thing!"

:v: Yessss, they are. But you know, there's another reason why today is especially exciting.

:classiclol: Especially cold!

:v: Especially cold, okay, but the big question on everybody's lips...

:classiclol: On their janked lips...

:v: On their janked lips, right: Do ya think Chris is gonna come out and see a release date?

:classiclol: Handwavey Chris!

:v: That's right, jpeg-pledgers - it's...

:v::classiclol: CITIZENCON DAY!

I watched the Groundhog Day movie yesterday, so I really appreciate your work on this :D

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Pixelate posted:

Why the hell would new gamemodes make any kind of sense at this point? Other than: Because they’re easier to do than actually improving the PU...
if you go back through my posting history (like years) there was a rant about star marine and how crobbo kept changing his mind about what he wanted in there and he was ultimately bummed because he thought star marine would have vehicles and large maps

guess he finally got his dream with star citizen: battlefield but also fortnite but also every shooter why not edition

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
this is also why you don't hire someone like rexzilla and then somehow buy into your own fabricated and bought bullshit that your space game is now a brilliantly done first person shooter

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sabreseven posted:

It's tomorrow, I think it starts at 1300 UTC.

I might be wrong though as that seems awfully early in the day.

The first delay is projected to start at 13.00, yes. See https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizencon/schedule
But before that they have registration that can be delayed from 10, and main entry being delayed from 11, so there's lots of time for the delays to accumulate to hit the 13.00 target.

I'll probably be restreaming it and the various chats from minute 1 because wubbliwubbliwubbli :pcgaming:

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Quavers posted:

TBH this is probably the best use of what they have right now and what the engine can support. If the gameplay mechanics weren't such poo poo and buggy it could be fun. But yea, really derivative and unoriginal - dollars to donuts they don't use any of the spaceships except the dropship.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I am the FPS drop at 1:07

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Quavers posted:

So... Dust 514?

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kikas posted:

The music, especially at the end, is VERY reminescent of the 65DAYSOFSTATIC tracks used in every No Man's Sky trailer.

Also it's very accidental that they released tutorials and such program shortly after Elite improved their beginner experience in August/September. Makes you wonder about their roadmap influence.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

TheAgent posted:

this is also why you don't hire someone like rexzilla and then somehow buy into your own fabricated and bought bullshit that your space game is now a brilliantly done first person shooter

But it's very important that we take the space game and make it into fortnight, wasting man hours and precious resources. It is important because the only videos of our game that got any traction in the last year were of people shooting at each other, and it's actually very hard to do that in the space game. Basically impossible without everyone flying to one point.

No, this doesn't speak to me about problems in design direction. Go make another game mode! Just do it! I am the greatest game director of all time, no other game should have my spotlight! Chase that loving greased pig!

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Also it's very accidental that they released tutorials and such program shortly after Elite improved their beginner experience in August/September. Makes you wonder about their roadmap influence.
ah the star citizen tutorial, removed in 2017 and now back as a senior player guided experience

can't wait for one of the senior players to either troll or sexually harass one of the players they are supposed to be mentoring

because that's never happened with this system, ever

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Is there an actual system that pairs new players with "approved" veterans and a guided tutorial they take you thru? Or is this just a made up thing in which you ask in chat how to do something and hope someone gives you a serious/correct response that isn't "alt + f4".

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Popete posted:

Is there an actual system that pairs new players with "approved" veterans and a guided tutorial they take you thru? Or is this just a made up thing in which you ask in chat how to do something and hope someone gives you a serious/correct response that isn't "alt + f4".
who loving knows, but I'm assuming the "experienced" players they have are basically streamers to increase views on twitch/fb/yt

this system has been abused so many loving times in the past lol

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

echothreealpha posted:

I know some of you guys used to be backers, when did it start turning sour?

I see we are doing our backer stories so

- I was an original kickstarter backer, I think I had the $45 package.

I was a goon before that so at one point I started reading about SC on the forums and realized it was a huge scam

Sold my account for something super inflated and stupid like $300 , because it was an original backer account. Bought into Elite Dangerous and Escape From Tarkov betas and have never looked back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Jesus f c is citcon really at 8am Pacific tomorrow

because that means I need to load up with champagne and fresh squeezed oj and make some waffle batter tonight