Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

I read through the synopsis of death stranding on Wikipedia and it’s beyond retarded. Maybe the gameplay is good but every single thing in that synopsis is the worst thing I’ve read, plot wise, about a game, ever.

E: this snype stands as a warning for all travelers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

gently caress dude, a Wikipedia plot summary isn't a great storytelling device, I can't believe this; I, I, I, I can't believe that reading about a plot on Wikipedia is so, like, inadequate and poo poo

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/jdmaccoby/status/1197923319879745542

Ladies please don't make the opposite mistake

too late

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm sorry, are you suggesting a video game plot summary reads badly? Surely not video games, which include such lofty, deep, intellectual plotlines as "nazi moonbase", "North Korea invades the Philippines (but actually it's America because it's an island populated by Americans)", "Nazi zombies on an undiscovered Pacific island", or probably the best: "Demons from literal hell invade a Mars".

Video game plotlines seem to be constantly trying to recapture late 80s/early 90s big budget action movie stupidity and they literally don't seem to be moving on from that.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/thejessgoodwin/status/1197658383136034817

https://twitter.com/Donsutherland97/status/1197604895995465728

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

FactsAreUseless posted:

gently caress dude, a Wikipedia plot summary isn't a great storytelling device, I can't believe this; I, I, I, I can't believe that reading about a plot on Wikipedia is so, like, inadequate and poo poo

Yes im sure it doesnt do justice to the *checks notes* premature half undead?? babies in jars

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
ANd, like,w hat, the guy just plays chesss iwth death?? What sort of weed were theyc smoking, haha, thats insanse!

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

yes let's all give the benefit of the doubt to Hideo "what? no she wears a bikini into battle because she breathes and absorbs nutrients through her skin it's not a pervert thing!" Kojima

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

NtotheTC posted:

yes let's all give the benefit of the doubt to Hideo "what? no she wears a bikini into battle because she breathes and absorbs nutrients through her skin it's not a pervert thing!" Kojima

Also she can't talk

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

lol if you didn't just skip through every Quiet scene to spend more time with your dog buddy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
"You just don't understand video games as art" I say, as I look at an ad while my character poops so I can craft poo poo grenades.

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman

bike tory posted:

I'm sorry, are you suggesting a video game plot summary reads badly? Surely not video games, which include such lofty, deep, intellectual plotlines as "nazi moonbase", "North Korea invades the Philippines (but actually it's America because it's an island populated by Americans)", "Nazi zombies on an undiscovered Pacific island", or probably the best: "Demons from literal hell invade a Mars".

Video game plotlines seem to be constantly trying to recapture late 80s/early 90s big budget action movie stupidity and they literally don't seem to be moving on from that.

The reveal in Gravity's Rainbow is that the special secret v2 equipped with some secret nazi technology (which the book is loosely centered about) is actually a box for some kind of ritualistic/sexual human sacrifice.

The book also features an underground mine cart chase where the book's protagonist is chased by a group of drunk americans singing dirty limericks about loving rocket parts. This turns into a hot air balloon vs airplane pie fight. Their leader is later castrated while wearing a pig suit.

modedit: while normally I would not think to add spoilers for a book from 1973, this is worth tagging anyway to judge from a few posts down

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:42 on Dec 3, 2019

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'd take 1 Death Stranding over 100 indie games about how videogames saved the developer from their depression/anxiety/grief.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Fools Infinite posted:

The reveal in Gravity's Rainbow is that the special secret v2 equipped with some secret nazi technology (which the book is loosely centered about) is actually a box for some kind of ritualistic/sexual human sacrifice.

The book also features an underground mine cart chase where the book's protagonist is chased by a group of drunk americans singing dirty limericks about loving rocket parts. This turns into a hot air balloon vs airplane pie fight. Their leader is later castrated while wearing a pig suit.

This is a great illustration of why plot summaries almost always sound loving stupid

also most of Pynchon's metaphors are super hamfisted, but at least they're metaphors whereas in videogames it's almost always just literal space Nazis or literal demonic rituals or whatever

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH
ah this is a fine discussion of cool and good video games

~turns on monitor~

oh lol oops here is an funny image(s)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Fools Infinite posted:

The reveal in Gravity's Rainbow is

Sigh right as I’m cracking that book for the first time. Perhaps another day, literature.

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Dec 3, 2019

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Fools Infinite posted:

The reveal in Gravity's Rainbow is

yeah it loving owns

Somebody has a new favorite as of 02:43 on Dec 3, 2019

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

"You just don't understand film as art" I say, as I look at an ad while the character pees in a cup so he can filter and drink it

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?

I'm not sure if I find this more creepy or gross.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I just saw the Star Trek Voyager episode he's in and he looks exactly the same except with ridges on his forehead.

E:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Taeke posted:

I just saw the Star Trek Voyager episode he's in and he looks exactly the same except with ridges on his forehead.

E:

I think Jason Alexander is incapable of not seeming like Jason Alexander in a costume in all of his roles. It's like Costanza doing a bit every time.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Taeke posted:

E:

"Captain, we are being hailed by.... Vandelay industries?"

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

zoux posted:

Sigh right as I’m cracking that book for the first time. Perhaps another day, literature.

rekt bitch

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Animal-Mother posted:

"Captain, we are being hailed by.... Vandelay industries?"

Instead of Voyager he should have been in The Voyage Home to help save the whales. Could have been the marine biologist.

Lobok has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Nov 22, 2019

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

Imagined posted:

I'd take 1 Death Stranding over 100 indie games about how videogames saved the developer from their depression/anxiety/grief.

I'll take it over the rest of the industry trying to blatantly separate me from ALL of my money

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I just want another Call of Duty.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

chitoryu12 posted:

I think Jason Alexander is incapable of not seeming like Jason Alexander in a costume in all of his roles. It's like Costanza doing a bit every time.

Even Duckman.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
more like call of doodie

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Page 1701 bitches

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Page 1701 bitches

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Page 1701. No bloody A... B... C... or D

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Doctor Zero posted:

Page 1701 bitches

May the 4th be with you.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
In the beginning of the game Death Stranding asks for your birthday.

If you happen to be playing Death Stranding on your birthday you'll get a special cutscene where Mads Mikkelson wishes you a happy birthday and brings you flowers. Therefore Death Stranding is the greatest game ever made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8Pk6Impr8M

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Lobok posted:

Instead of Voyager he should have been in The Voyage Home to help save the whales. Could have been the marine biologist.

Space..... was angry that day, my friends.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If you happen to be playing Death Stranding on your birthday you'll get a special cutscene where Mads Mikkelson wishes you a happy birthday and brings you flowers. Therefore Death Stranding is the greatest game ever made.

Holy poo poo.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Mocap animation will never not be hideous and lifeless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Screaming Idiot posted:

Mocap animation will never not be hideous and lifeless.

True, but also please turn on your monitor