Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

wiegieman posted:

Half light is used like one time, ignore it.

I thought the devs said they were balancing skills usefulness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Encyclopedia, inland Empire, shivers, what else?
In the end I went hard for the intellect branch: logic, encyclopedia, rhetoric, drama, conceptualization and visual calculus. For the longest time I had next to no points in psyche, physique and motorics (except Perception).

Of the ones I picked, I'd say logic and encyclopedia had the most "content." Visual calculus was rare, but when it does get used, it creates those sick crime scene simulations which are totally worth it.

Would be good to hear from someone with experience in Suggestion, Endurance, Pain Threshold, Physical Instrument, Half Light and Savoir Faire. Those, it seemed to me, have few applications.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Gort posted:

I thought the devs said they were balancing skills usefulness

Well, they said they tried. It seems it worked for the most part, given how many skills there are and how most of them do have good content.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I had high Conceptualization and I felt like it paid off really often.

On the other hand, I never once got an Encyclopedia or Esprit de Corps check that I can remember, and only like one each of Hand-Eye Coordination, Reaction Speed, Savoir Faire and maybe 1 or 2 other skills... but then again I had 1 Motorics so maybe I didn't end up going down some of those dialogue branches.

Not to say that I didn't get a lot of great passives from my high skills, just not a ton of active checks.

Also, the Apricot-Scented Chewing Gum thought seems broken, that +10 Perception to smell things seemed to work on all Perception checks.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Espirit d'Corps pays off in how much fluff you get from it.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Infinite Karma posted:

I had high Conceptualization and I felt like it paid off really often.

On the other hand, I never once got an Encyclopedia or Esprit de Corps check that I can remember, and only like one each of Hand-Eye Coordination, Reaction Speed, Savoir Faire and maybe 1 or 2 other skills... but then again I had 1 Motorics so maybe I didn't end up going down some of those dialogue branches.
Yeah, Conceptualization is up there with Inland Empire for entertainment value. I cranked Conceptualization to 10 and the challenging+ successes are legitimately interesting, every time. There are also far more of those checks than I would have expected.

My only regret with my 5/5 INT/PSY build is that, unless there's a thought I dont know about that would allow me to pump extra points into Shivers, the highest I'm able to get it is 6, and I feel like I'm probably missing out on some interesting stuff there.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Night10194 posted:

Just seeing "+2 Kim REALLY trusts you" at the Tribunal was worth it all. So was saving my last bullet instead of shooting at the Merc a second time

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.

Infinite Karma posted:

Just seeing "+2 Kim REALLY trusts you" at the Tribunal was worth it all. So was saving my last bullet instead of shooting at the Merc a second time

You know what, I think that's kind of a plot hole. Because if you have 2 bullets you can shoot twice and Kim can still shoot it a 3rd time if you pass the authority check. Am I wrong?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Esprit

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Night10194 posted:

and in basically being able to read kim's mind at certain point

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

DE's steam depot record was just updated with a new branch, "hardcodemode"
https://steamdb.info/app/632470/depots/

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I hope it blares hardbass at you non-stop.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019
Jesus gently caress that DD dream on the island. That hit right in some still-suppurating wounds. Had to quit the game and go get some air for a while.

tripwood posted:

Am I wrong?

Isn't the pistol supposed to be a single-shot muzzle-loader ? They make a big deal out of the mercs being the only ones with semi-autos.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Your pistol has 3 barrels.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Kobal2 posted:

Jesus gently caress that DD dream on the island. That hit right in some still-suppurating wounds. Had to quit the game and go get some air for a while.

You should put me in front of a firing squad brother

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

tripwood posted:

You know what, I think that's kind of a plot hole. Because if you have 2 bullets you can shoot twice and Kim can still shoot it a 3rd time if you pass the authority check. Am I wrong?

In my recent tribunal, when I warned Kim, I handed him my gun and he fired. I only had one bullet, but used the spirit bomb instead of the gun to initiate. I am now so fearful of the situation where you warn Kim, but hand him an empty gun

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think the Sensitive Cop preset is very good, it's a good mix of some physical competence and the weirder skills. I wouldn't try to game it too much.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Just put 3 in everything. It's boring but you see the most stuff.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Reverend Dr posted:

In my recent tribunal, when I warned Kim, I handed him my gun and he fired. I only had one bullet, but used the spirit bomb instead of the gun to initiate. I am now so fearful of the situation where you warn Kim, but hand him an empty gun
I had a 1 Motorics so I knew I was a lousy shot, and even after getting under the Merc's skin, I still missed my ~73% first shot and bounced off his armor. My second shot was 17% and I only had 1 bullet left. I figured I'm wearing the ceramic breastplate, hopefully I can Clint Eastwood this fight and get a better shot later. I got shot twice, went down, Kim shot the Killer in the eyeball and took him down, and when that check came up to warn him and hand him the gun, there was a tear in my eye for how saving that bullet probably saved his life.

I got the prompt to buy the alcohol to make the spirit bomb, but my stupid Necktie didn't chime in to make it into a molotov for some reason, I wish I got to light Ellis on fire.

edit: ^^^ I was happy to fail a lot of the early physical challenges with 5 Int 6 Psy 2 Phys 1 Mot. Trying to punch Cuno and falling down instead, or failing to catch the keys and getting hit in the eye was basically perfect.

Infinite Karma fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Nov 22, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Ersatz posted:

My only regret with my 5/5 INT/PSY build is that, unless there's a thought I dont know about that would allow me to pump extra points into Shivers, the highest I'm able to get it is 6, and I feel like I'm probably missing out on some interesting stuff there.

There are 2 thoughts that raises the Shivers cap to 6 (Hobocop and Cop of the Apocalypse), then you can squeeze one more point in if you do it after getting your drink on, for a total of 8 (9 when smashed) which is more than enough to feel some trippy poo poo.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Kobal2 posted:

There are 2 thoughts that raises the Shivers cap to 6 (Hobocop and Cop of the Apocalypse), then you can squeeze one more point in if you do it after getting your drink on, for a total of 8 (9 when smashed) which is more than enough to feel some trippy poo poo.
Sweet - thanks!

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

wiegieman posted:

Half light is used like one time, ignore it.

It may be lacking in active skill checks but it’s one of the more talkative passive skills; it’s definitely worth putting points in just for that

Reverend Dr
Feb 9, 2005

Thanks Reverend

Infinite Karma posted:

I got the prompt to buy the alcohol to make the spirit bomb, but my stupid Necktie didn't chime in to make it into a molotov for some reason, I wish I got to light Ellis on fire.

The necktie prompt is right at the intersection before Ruby (encountered on the way out after reading the journal, not sure if journal reading is a requirement).

I missed my first opener on a 97% roll. I ended up reloading (it was right after Ruby), got the molotov prompt as usual, but it never gave me the spirit bomb item. The text promps for gain/lost item didn't even appear. It kept doing this on reloads until I quit and restarted the game.

Its actually the second bug I've found that requires a full close and re-open of the game, the first was getting a thought cabinet to finish during the end-game dream sequence

Reverend Dr fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 22, 2019

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

dmboogie posted:

It may be lacking in active skill checks but it’s one of the more talkative passive skills; it’s definitely worth putting points in just for that

Yeah, but then (talking straight out of my rear end because it's not like I tested it rigorously or anything) I figure *most* skills have a thing to say about *most* situations, they merely phrase it differently. I could see a tree like:

Logic : Hold on. What he's saying doesn't add up. Didn't he say X before ?
Empathy : He's not telling you everything. He wants to, but he's afraid of Y. Try and tell him you'll protect him.
Drama : The poor wretch is spinning a honeyed tale to your ears, sire !
Encyclopedia : Ah, he's talking about the spotted wasp of Jamrock, which [twelve pages of Revachopedia]
Visual Calculus : There's only 2% chance it could have happened the way he says.
Body Dynamics : You gonna believe a single loving word out the mouth of a loving kipt ?!
Shivers : Far away, a leaf falls. The wind echoes with a million empty words and broken promises...
Electro : COCAINE !!! DO SOME COCAIIIIINE ! What ?
Perception : his eyes dart around the place. A drop of sweat is forming on his left temple.
Esprit de Corps : Kim pauses his writing and sneaks you a questioning glance. Does that sound a little off to you too ?
Inland Empire : Isn't that exactly what a welkin ghost would say ? Gods, he almost sounds like... don't think about that. But why does this make you think of apricots ? STOP.
Authority : Maybe, maybe not. You have to push him. Show him who's the LAW around here.
(and similar for Savoir-Faire, Composure, Conceptualization, Half-Light etc..., I've sucked at Phys & Motorics all along so don't really know any of their voices besides Perception, who's pretty matter-of-factual and dispassionate)

But you'd only see the ones you do have enough points in & win the passive rolls for, some skills may need more points than others to impart info depending on how close the situation is to their "home turf" etc... That's how I'd do it anyway, to try and ensure every player has access to pretty much every information regardless of their build and not lock them out of any content or deduction.

Then again, I'm reaching the end of a 5/4/2/1 playthrough and I'm *really* curious what a 1/1/5/6 game would look like (just chug some pyro to put some points into Volition and not die). All body, no higher brain function, completely self-absorbed cop (with maybe a sidegig in Authority) :).

Canadian Surf Club
Feb 15, 2008

Word.
I really want a post-mortem talk or behind the scenes on how they structured the branching narrative and all the insight checks. Every conversation and location in this game must look like spaghetti.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Cuno is by some distance my favorite voiced character ever and I'm sad I can't find any videos of the actor doing the voice. It's stuck in my head.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kobal2 posted:

Yeah, but then (talking straight out of my rear end because it's not like I tested it rigorously or anything) I figure *most* skills have a thing to say about *most* situations, they merely phrase it differently. I could see a tree like:

Logic : Hold on. What he's saying doesn't add up. Didn't he say X before ?
Empathy : He's not telling you everything. He wants to, but he's afraid of Y. Try and tell him you'll protect him.
Drama : The poor wretch is spinning a honeyed tale to your ears, sire !
Encyclopedia : Ah, he's talking about the spotted wasp of Jamrock, which [twelve pages of Revachopedia]
Visual Calculus : There's only 2% chance it could have happened the way he says.
Body Dynamics : You gonna believe a single loving word out the mouth of a loving kipt ?!
Shivers : Far away, a leaf falls. The wind echoes with a million empty words and broken promises...
Electro : COCAINE !!! DO SOME COCAIIIIINE ! What ?
Perception : his eyes dart around the place. A drop of sweat is forming on his left temple.
Esprit de Corps : Kim pauses his writing and sneaks you a questioning glance. Does that sound a little off to you too ?
Inland Empire : Isn't that exactly what a welkin ghost would say ? Gods, he almost sounds like... don't think about that. But why does this make you think of apricots ? STOP.
Authority : Maybe, maybe not. You have to push him. Show him who's the LAW around here.
(and similar for Savoir-Faire, Composure, Conceptualization, Half-Light etc..., I've sucked at Phys & Motorics all along so don't really know any of their voices besides Perception, who's pretty matter-of-factual and dispassionate)

But you'd only see the ones you do have enough points in & win the passive rolls for, some skills may need more points than others to impart info depending on how close the situation is to their "home turf" etc... That's how I'd do it anyway, to try and ensure every player has access to pretty much every information regardless of their build and not lock them out of any content or deduction.

Then again, I'm reaching the end of a 5/4/2/1 playthrough and I'm *really* curious what a 1/1/5/6 game would look like (just chug some pyro to put some points into Volition and not die). All body, no higher brain function, completely self-absorbed cop (with maybe a sidegig in Authority) :).

Pretty good, though "Body Dynamics", I'll assume you meant Physical Instrument, seems to mostly question people's manliness and sexuality, I haven't heard it say anything racist. Half-light gives you the option to say some incredibly racist poo poo to Racist Lorry Driver to exploit his fears though, lol

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I started playing again with the goal of basically doing the opposite of my sorry apologetic cop and I'm kind of shocked at how much of an absolute shithead you can be.

Can you actually shoot Cunoesse?

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Zenithe posted:

Can you actually shoot Cunoesse?
Yes, and it's an instant game over if you successfully do so. Shooting AT her and MISSING isn't, though.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Zero VGS posted:

Pretty good, though "Body Dynamics", I'll assume you meant Physical Instrument

Correct. And yeah, I'll admit I didn't really hear that dude much in my playthrough - I associate him with racism because he's the one who tries to convince you to follow you gut and embrace fascism.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Kobal2 posted:

Correct. And yeah, I'll admit I didn't really hear that dude much in my playthrough - I associate him with racism because he's the one who tries to convince you to follow you gut and embrace fascism.

Yeah at the end of the game you can piece together that Physical Instrument is actually Your former profession talking to you, you used to be a gym teacher (Kim even exclaims "So that's why you run around so much and don't understand what homo-sexuality is", loving lol)

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Vegetable posted:

Cuno is by some distance my favorite voiced character ever and I'm sad I can't find any videos of the actor doing the voice. It's stuck in my head.

gently caress DOES CUNO CARE?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Zero VGS posted:

Yeah at the end of the game you can piece together that Physical Instrument is actually Your former profession talking to you, you used to be a gym teacher (Kim even exclaims "So that's why you run around so much and don't understand what homo-sexuality is", loving lol)

I like how reactive that was. For me it was that I wouldn't shut up about Contact Mike, at which point Judit went "oh Christ he's still doing the Contact Mike thing" and I had the chance to do the Contact Mike thing again.

Love how this game lets you opt into your own running gags.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Kobal2 posted:

That's Endurance not Physical Intrument. PI doesn't really care about politics it just wants you to run around shirtless and throw balls in to the ocean.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Vichan posted:

so glad this exists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoGlE4G8DyE

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Glazius posted:

I like how reactive that was. For me it was that I wouldn't shut up about Contact Mike, at which point Judit went "oh Christ he's still doing the Contact Mike thing" and I had the chance to do the Contact Mike thing again.

Love how this game lets you opt into your own running gags.

How do you trigger Contact Mike? I never managed to in two runs.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

I did it by talking to Acele (who goes on and on about her music work and her contact mic. Get it ?). I don't remember which skill triggered the tangent (most likely Physical Instrument ?) but you can deliberately misinterpret what she's saying.
That said because I'm your typical RPG idiot, I'd made sure to exhaust *everything* on the first island & fishing village before moving further, so I have no idea how much Contact Mike silliness you can get up to once you've unlocked the thought

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

If you ask the girl on the ice what she's doing out in the cold, she starts talking about her contact mic and the rest is history.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Vichan posted:

(Cuno doesn't care)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ersatz posted:

(Cuno doesn't loving care)