Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Shifty Pony posted:

You really shouldn't discount the people who are moving to Texas from states other than CA and NY. Play around with the Census Bureau's migration flows data and you'll see that red states make up a very significant chunk of net migration into Texas.

Then there's the "Alamosexual" effect, where people move to Texas because they see it as a conservative promised land and they go hardcore Republican on arrival. If a Chud looking for a new job has a choice between CA, VA, NC, or TX... they are going the Texas and they are absolutely buying a King Ranch F-150 on arrival and slapping a "Come and take it" sticker on it.

interesting, thanks for the direct data. I don't know the prevalence but the phenomenon you describe is very true. I feel like a bunch of obnoxious uberracists I've had to interact with are from California. They get mad when they discover that Texas is actually a massive nanny state (relatively)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Feldegast42 posted:

Good luck convincing Pelosi and Schumer to upset the Bailey's enough to do it though.
HR1 has virtually no drawbacks for Democrats and would almost certainly be passed if we got another trifecta.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Shifty Pony posted:

You really shouldn't discount the people who are moving to Texas from states other than CA and NY. Play around with the Census Bureau's migration flows data and you'll see that red states make up a very significant chunk of net migration into Texas.

Then there's the "Alamosexual" effect, where people move to Texas because they see it as a conservative promised land and they go hardcore Republican on arrival. If a Chud looking for a new job has a choice between CA, VA, NC, or TX... they are going the Texas and they are absolutely buying a King Ranch F-150 on arrival and slapping a "Come and take it" sticker on it.

My understanding is while that's happening, it's not enough to overcome the demographic shifts making the state Purple.

There's a lot of conservative writing on how U-huals are going from SF to Texas, but the vast, vast majority of them aren't even leaving the state.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

HR1 has virtually no drawbacks for Democrats and would almost certainly be passed if we got another trifecta.

HR1, I believe, cannot be wedged under reconciliation so just because there's 51 democratic senators in the Senate doesn't mean it's getting a vote.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

evilweasel posted:

HR1, I believe, cannot be wedged under reconciliation so just because there's 51 democratic senators in the Senate doesn't mean it's getting a vote.
I feel like there's at least a decent chance we can kill the filibuster.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

theflyingorc posted:

Anything that touches gerrymandering is going to piss off the establishment in both parties though since that's how they hold much of their power

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/AmbJohnBolton/status/1197982064945094657

This is a weird one. Is it just WH pettiness?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

oxsnard posted:

On the flip side, that's why I hate the narrative that every Trump voter is an irredeemable Nazi who hangs on his every word. The number of these exact people is scary, but if they represented most "Trump voters", would you expect to go 1 for 3 in southern and very conservative states governor races on him explicitly making it a referendum on himself? It doesn't add up

They don't like he is saying the quiet part loud and sabotaging the quiet racism they wanted.

I have not seem any example of the "good" Trump voters. Only ones who are openly racist, ones who want the quiet racism, and occasionally ones who voted for the racism but then the Panthers ate their face via trade war or whatever.

I don't understand why they get all the benefit of the doubt but that only applies to the selfish Nazis and nobody else.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

theflyingorc posted:

I think with a 51/49 majority, that may not be doable. I wonder however if you can get the restrictions on reconciliation basically ignored, so you get two free bills of any flavor with a 51/49 majority if the bill (like HR1) is 'good enough'.

Feldegast42 posted:

Anything that touches gerrymandering is going to piss off the establishment in both parties though since that's how they hold much of their power

Senators don't care, and the House already passed HR1.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

CascadeBeta posted:

God could you even imagine if Trump lost the popular vote by like triple what he lost it by in 2016 and still won the EC? I legit wonder if there's be riots over that.

There were riots. Didn't do any good.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Dems probably need 53+ Senators for that as Manchin and Sinema have already said they won't do it.

Feldegast42 posted:

Yep. This year the VA legislature passed a Constitutional amendment that would ban gerrymandering but it must pass next year in the exact same form and then be voted on by the public. There's real concern among anti-gerrymandering types that now that the Dems have the trifecta they won't disarm.

ImpAtom posted:

They don't like he is saying the quiet part loud and sabotaging the quiet racism they wanted.

I have not seem any example of the "good" Trump voters. Only ones who are openly racist, ones who want the quiet racism, and occasionally ones who voted for the racism but then the Panthers ate their face via trade war or whatever.

I don't understand why they get all the benefit of the doubt but that only applies to the selfish Nazis and nobody else.

I know a number of Trump voters who were basically completely ignorant of the news and/or hated Hillary. I think they all regret their vote now. I can see how people could have been tricked into voting Trump in 2016. There's absolutely no excuse for voting Trump in 2020 though.

axeil fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 22, 2019

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

oxsnard posted:

interesting, thanks for the direct data. I don't know the prevalence but the phenomenon you describe is very true. I feel like a bunch of obnoxious uberracists I've had to interact with are from California. They get mad when they discover that Texas is actually a massive nanny state (relatively)

The anger at discovering that Texas isn't conservative utopia is probably one of the reasons why Abbott's "blame the cities for being liberal" campaign is so popular with the GOP base.

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is while that's happening, it's not enough to overcome the demographic shifts making the state Purple.

That's certainly true, it just helps to explain why the state isn't going purple nearly as quickly as you would expect just from the population growth numbers.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

ImpAtom posted:

I know a couple of them here in PA. They are bona fide "low information" voters who thought Trump would be Good at Business™ and didn't like Hillary for reasons they couldn't articulate. Being forced to listen to him every day for the past few years has made each of them heavily regret their decision and they can't wait to vote against him.

I also know a lot of Trump voters who are either insane or racist.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

ImpAtom posted:

I've met one. He voted for Trump to "throw a wrench in the system" and later regretted his actions.

He was reaaaaallly hesitant about sharing that with me though. Showing that the left can really push these people into hiding/against them.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

axeil posted:

I know a number of Trump voters who were basically completely ignorant of the news and/or hated Hillary. I think they all regret their vote now. I can see how people could have been tricked into voting Trump in 2016. There's absolutely no excuse for voting Trump in 2020 though.

trump at the time of his election was viewed by the electorate as one of the most moderate republicans, there are definitely some small amount of fools who didn't pay enough attention. not enough to warrant giving a trump voter the benefit of the doubt if they have not already made clear they are a former trump voter

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Guessing maybe he had his official white house/government email tied up in the account and couldn't get the password changed or something?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

evilweasel posted:

Senators don't care, and the House already passed HR1.

Yeah but only in a situation where it would never pass

Lets see them do it again next session

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
here's the whole fox and friends clip from this morning. It's insane

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBwoDReTflI

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Feldegast42 posted:

Yeah but only in a situation where it would never pass

Lets see them do it again next session

two responses on this. first, most of the vulnerable democrats who got the majority above 218 were elected in districts gerrymandered against democrats. they have a vested interest in making sure their state isn't allowed to gerrymander against them again. second, being in the minority suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. if you're a, say, new york democrat, you're willing to take a slightly higher chance of not being re-elected in exchange for taking a much bigger chance of being in the majority.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

oxsnard posted:

People tend to assume that California is full of liberals. The big coastal cities are blue, the rest trends pretty red. Luckily, those big, blue cities are a few of the biggest cities in the country, so they drag the rest of the state to the left pretty hard. That's a big reason why there's been like 200+ proposals over the years to split up the state. If you were to split California into three states, it'd be easy to draw those lines to create one new blue state and two red ones. Even if you cut it in half (like the State of Jefferson plan that's super popular in central & northern California) you'd still take a blue state and make it into one blue and one red.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

I've never met a single real life person that was like 'yeah i was a hillary fan but trump's won me over.' I don't mean that hyperbolically. I've quite literally not encountered that. On the other hand, I've got country folk family that were all in and are now squarely in the 'that guys a loving idiot' category(and that's a quote, from an old white guy 45 minutes outside of houston tx).

'Round here though, we don't have a lot of people that will admit to being democrats anyway, so it's skewed.

Have you guys encountered the opposite? A real life good faith democrat that's swung the other way?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Robot Hobo posted:

People tend to assume that California is full of liberals. The big coastal cities are blue, the rest trends pretty red. Luckily, those big, blue cities are a few of the biggest cities in the country, so they drag the rest of the state to the left pretty hard. That's a big reason why there's been like 200+ proposals over the years to split up the state. If you were to split California into three states, it'd be easy to draw those lines to create one new blue state and two red ones. Even if you cut it in half (like the State of Jefferson plan that's super popular around here) you'd still take a blue state and make it into one blue and one red.

its basically immensely, hilariously, important under the current structure of the constitution that large educated cities have large tracts of bad-thinking farmland

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
shouldn't population growth due to people moving there be taken with a grain of salt because climate change is goning to make those places waterless ovens?

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

PhazonLink posted:

shouldn't population growth due to people moving there be taken with a grain of salt because climate change is goning to make those places waterless ovens?

not if you're trying to figure out how it's going to vote prior to becoming a waterless oven

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

oxsnard posted:

Speaking as a person living in TX who moved from CA, people way overestimate how many Californians comprise the total # of folks coming here. In Austin it was 7-8% tops, most folks moving here actually do so from elsewhere in the state.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
There's a great climate change thread just waiting for people to post in it.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Robot Hobo posted:

People tend to assume that California is full of liberals. The big coastal cities are blue, the rest trends pretty red. Luckily, those big, blue cities are a few of the biggest cities in the country, so they drag the rest of the state to the left pretty hard. That's a big reason why there's been like 200+ proposals over the years to split up the state. If you were to split California into three states, it'd be easy to draw those lines to create one new blue state and two red ones. Even if you cut it in half (like the State of Jefferson plan that's super popular in central & northern California) you'd still take a blue state and make it into one blue and one red.

My favorite thing about the SoJ is how turbofucked the red part would be without the influx of tax dollars from the big cities.

My second favorite is how easy SoJ paraphernalia makes picking out dumbasses in day to day life.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose
Looks like he's blocking aid to Lebanon too now.

https://apnews.com/4bae0513e28647c59b74bcf51f7550a5

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Spun Dog posted:

Looks like he's blocking aid to Lebanon too now.

https://apnews.com/4bae0513e28647c59b74bcf51f7550a5

Wait Lebanon has DNC servers now?

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

oxsnard posted:

Yeah I watched that this morning and his train of thought was completely addled, it was just three or four words from one sentence jumping to another random three or four words to another sentence fragment non stop the entire time. Idk if he's on drugs or just hasn't slept in a few days or is sundowning at 7am or some combination of all of those, but that was exceptionally far from even his normal level of incoherent

GENUINE CAT HERDER
Jan 2, 2004

Wedge Regret

The best thing about this is that I had opened youtube and Black Flag Blues had started auto-playing and the opening monologue finished just before I read it. It manages to read perfectly in the same cadence:

"Her thoughts drifted to voter fraud."
"I felt it in my spirit
there was some kind of thing undermining the Bevin win"
McDowell said,
"I just felt like that the entire time.
It was such a dark feeling."

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1197984893298450434
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1197997147939131393

lmao poor Bill Barr and George Papadopoulos

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

How are u posted:

There's a great climate change thread just waiting for people to post in it.

I got directed there from this thread previously, and found it to be... a little off. There's a lot of doomposting, despite the OP saying not to do that as rule #1, and then a lot of memes about domes and stuff. I just checked the last page and people are posting about how it's hot in November or there are leaves on the trees. There are some good posts here and there, but in general I found that thread impossible to use.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

bill barr has a separate fake investigation going on that involves a US attorney named Durham, so he may still have that in their back pocket

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

oxsnard posted:

God he sounds drugged as all hell, slurring words and just rambling.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

evilweasel posted:

bill barr has a separate fake investigation going on that involves a US attorney named Durham, so he may still have that in their back pocket

And this is the one that Trump has been crowing is going to be historical or whatever nonsense his mushbrain has jumbled together.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Wyoming is evidently the Conservative Utopia from the articles I have been reading for the last couple of years.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

e.pilot posted:

God he sounds drugged as all hell, slurring words and just rambling.

https://youtu.be/JP1lLiCJ5Rg

https://youtu.be/8VQ28e-5kfM

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

beejay posted:

I got directed there from this thread previously, and found it to be... a little off. There's a lot of doomposting, despite the OP saying not to do that as rule #1, and then a lot of memes about domes and stuff. I just checked the last page and people are posting about how it's hot in November or there are leaves on the trees. There are some good posts here and there, but in general I found that thread impossible to use.

Be the change you wish to see in the world

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Time for them to start an investigation of the corrupt IG