Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

NoDamage posted:

I think you're right about this. Once they have control over the proceedings they're going to muddy the waters by subpoenaing Joe and Hunter Biden at the very least. They will probably also out the whistleblower in the process.

Schiff had to interrupt Jordan a few times during his questioning to stop him from digging into the whistlerblower's identity. But there will be no such restraint in the Senate.

They are going to try. From what I gather they actually don't know who the whistleblower is and the person they have been trying to say is it, isn't. The reason why they are pushing for that person is it gives them a narrative that they are somehow partisan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Ogmius815 posted:

I think this wildly optimistic. Dems will win Colorado and it will be a dogfight in Maine and Arizona. Dems have a shot in NC but will have to be very lucky to win anywhere else.

Maine is underwater, when she votes to not remove Trump that will be it for her. Internally the GOP is already considering it lost. Arizona will be a fight because the GOP doesn't want to lose and put a ton of resources into it but I don't think it will ultimately be that close.

Georgia will likely be a big battleground and the place to watch. Both of those seats are up, the Democrats have been mobilizing heavily there since Abrahams using her organization to build out for those races. If the Democrats don't get at least one of those seats things will be trouble for the election.

Perhaps it is wildly optimistic. I have been looking at recent trends from the last couple of elections post-Trump and a little bit of insider knowledge from both sides.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

Djarum posted:

Maine is underwater, when she votes to not remove Trump that will be it for her. Internally the GOP is already considering it lost. Arizona will be a fight because the GOP doesn't want to lose and put a ton of resources into it but I don't think it will ultimately be that close.

Georgia will likely be a big battleground and the place to watch. Both of those seats are up, the Democrats have been mobilizing heavily there since Abrahams using her organization to build out for those races. If the Democrats don't get at least one of those seats things will be trouble for the election.

Perhaps it is wildly optimistic. I have been looking at recent trends from the last couple of elections post-Trump and a little bit of insider knowledge from both sides.

I believe in Georgia in the long term, but in the short term the democrats don’t have a candidate because Abrams won’t run for some reason.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ogmius815 posted:

I believe in Georgia in the long term, but in the short term the democrats don’t have a candidate because Abrams won’t run for some reason.

The reason is that she's on everyone's short list for VP

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Eating a chalupa, loving Nunes.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Don't they have 53 R's and need 51 votes? Who are the R's that will turn?

The Senate GOP whip admitted they don't have the votes.

Presumably some combination of Romney, Gardner, Murkowski, and Collins.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Skex posted:

The reason is that she's on everyone's short list for VP

That and she is going to be heading up all of the Georgia races it seems. I believe she thinks she can be more effective stumping and working for everyone. We shall see.

I agree she should run for one of the Senate seats for the record.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://reason.com/video/judge-napolitano-enough-evidence-to-justify-about-three-or-four-articles-of-impeachment/#comments

The comments section on this reason dot com article are a riot. A bunch of "libertarians" licking the trump boot

Rauros
Aug 25, 2004

wanna go grub thumping?

oxsnard posted:

https://reason.com/video/judge-napolitano-enough-evidence-to-justify-about-three-or-four-articles-of-impeachment/#comments

The comments section on this reason dot com article are a riot. A bunch of "libertarians" licking the trump boot

Ha, even Kimmel is calling them bootlickers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxRMgTtkf0&t=58s

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

oxsnard posted:

Huh, I found that very surprising. I read Reason every once in a while and they generally seem to be properly libertarian most of the time. They’ve always been anti-Trump in the articles that come across my feed and I wonder what all of those people are doing there. I must be missing something.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003

Rauros posted:

I watched the rest of that Kimmel segment. He does a great job of summarizing the whole thing in about 4 minutes

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

oxsnard posted:

I watched the rest of that Kimmel segment. He does a great job of summarizing the whole thing in about 4 minutes

Kimmel, Colbert and Meyers have all been doing amazing coverage of all of this. I am kind of surprised none of it has had a break out.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer
When you call, email, facebook, or telegraph your deep-red or purple-state Senator tomorrow or Monday, be sure to ask if they'd appreciate this level of gross incompetence and corruption in the next installed Democratic President.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
I suspect more people are plugged in than you think. I was on a Southwest flight this week and I'd say 30% of people on board were watching on their phones/laptops.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Rauros posted:

Not. Enough. Anger.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/MichaelRWarren/status/1198059238083432449
https://twitter.com/whstancil/status/1198063173657452544

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Rauros posted:

Lotta 'Jimmy used to be funny, why did he go political, waaah' crybaby poo poo in the comments lol

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

The full article at CNN is worth the read: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/22/politics/nunes-vienna-trip-ukrainian-prosecutor-biden/index.html

quote:

Bondy tells CNN that Parnas is also willing to tell Congress about a series of regular meetings he says he took part in at the Trump International Hotel in Washington that concerned Ukraine. According to Bondy, Parnas became part of what he described as a "team" that met several times a week in a private room at the BLT restaurant on the second floor of the Trump Hotel. In addition to giving the group access to key people in Ukraine who could help their cause, Parnas translated their conversations, Bondy said.
The group, according to Bondy,  included Giuliani, Parnas, the journalist Solomon, and the married attorneys Joe diGenova and Victoria Toensing. Parnas said that Harvey would occasionally be present as well, and that it was Parnas' understanding that Harvey was Nunes' proxy, Bondy said

In the weeks since his arrest, Parnas has become disenchanted with Trump and Giuliani, according to Bondy as well as other sources who spoke to CNN. Parnas, these sources say, was particularly upset when Trump denied knowing him the day after Parnas and his associate Igor Fruman were arrested in October.

:munch:

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

So Nunes can be prosecuted or just thrown out of the House right? This seems huge

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I can only get so hard.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I mean in all fairness, how could you give up an opportunity to meet with spies in Vienna

that is just a badass life experience

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Parnas is serious about spilling his guts: Giuliani Ukraine pal gave ‘hard evidence’ to Trump impeachment investigators, wants to testify

quote:

One of the Florida businessmen who worked with Rudy Giuliani on his hunt for Ukrainian dirt on Democrats has turned over a trove of “hard evidence” to impeachment investigators — including photos and videos, one of his lawyers said Friday.

Lev Parnas, who was criminally charged last month in a sweeping campaign finance scheme that overlaps with the House impeachment inquiry, had so much evidence it had to be sent to House probers in several batches, the attorney, Joseph Bondy, told the Daily News.

Bondy said he has also tried to schedule a time for Parnas to testify under oath before the House Intelligence Committee about the “first-hand knowledge” he says his client has about President Trump’s bid to pressure Ukraine into investigating Joe Biden’s family and other Democrats before the 2020 election.

However, impeachment investigators have yet to take up Parnas’ offer, even though the subpoena he was issued last month demanded he come in for a closed-door deposition on Oct. 10, Bondy said.

Parnas couldn’t make that deposition because he was in custody in Virginia awaiting arraignment in New York on the campaign finance charges, Bondy said.

A spokesman for the House Intelligence Committee did not return a request for comment late Friday.

Bondy declined to elaborate on the nature of the evidence Parnas has given the committees, but stressed it satisfies key elements of the impeachment subpoena, which asks for records relating to Trump, Giuliani and the Bidens, among other people and entities.

In a string of tweets issued Friday morning, Bondy used the hashtag #LetLevSpeak in urging the intelligence committee to keep the public hearings rolling and take testimony from his client.

“He’s got first-hand information that is important to our nation,” Bondy tweeted.

Bondy’s revelations came on the heels of a Daily Beast report that Parnas accompanied Giuliani to an August meeting in Madrid with Andriy Yermak, a top adviser to Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky.

That meeting is considered a major milestone in Giuliani’s effort to push Zelensky on Trump’s behalf to launch investigations into the Bidens and debunked right-wing claims about anti-Trump Ukrainians interfering in the 2016 election.

Bondy told The News that Parnas, who speaks Russian and Ukrainian, was Giuliani’s “liaison” in the meeting.

Parnas and fellow Giuliani associate Igor Fruman were indicted by a Manhattan federal grand jury last month on charges of orchestrating a massive campaign finance scheme meant to benefit Trump.

One objective of the scheme was to advocate for the removal of Yovanovitch on behalf of at least one Ukrainian government official, prosecutors say. Trump removed Yovanovitch in May.

Once a die-hard Trump supporter, Parnas has grown disillusioned, as the president sought to distance himself from him and Fruman after their indictment.

Fruman, who is represented by ex-Trump attorney John Dowd, continues to refuse to cooperate in the impeachment inquiry despite a subpoena.

If he testifies, Parnas could give impeachment probers information damaging to both Giuliani and Trump.

He says he had a private meeting with Trump at the White House during last year’s Hanukkah party, at which the president allegedly gave him Ukraine marching orders.

He also helped Giuliani establish relationships with several figures in Ukraine who helped flesh out Trump-friendly conspiracy theories involving the 2016 election and the role Biden’s son, Hunter, had on the board of Burisma.

I'd love to hear Adam Schiff bang the gavel again.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Deteriorata posted:

Parnas is serious about spilling his guts: Giuliani Ukraine pal gave ‘hard evidence’ to Trump impeachment investigators, wants to testify

I'd love to hear Adam Schiff bang the gavel again.

loooooool my dick will explode if Nunes gets loving straight up wrecked over this whole deal he is such a skeevy little poo poo

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Even if true, how would you get him to testify, as I assume congress can't give him some sort of immunity, can't only the doj do that?

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
This sounds like it's setting up to be a TV courtroom or Murder she wrote drama where the murderer is in the jury and dramatically stands up and admits they did it and is surprised when he gets arrested for doing it.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

HootTheOwl posted:

Even if true, how would you get him to testify, as I assume congress can't give him some sort of immunity, can't only the doj do that?

The Intelligence Committee has already subpoenaed him, he is ready and willing to testify.

They're not going to care if he incriminates himself, they're after Trump. He's cooperating with his own trial, the prosecutors there will already know anything about him that he may spill in testimony. I'm not sure what kind of immunity he would need.

He may be hoping to get some lenience in his sentencing, which is something that could be worked out in private beforehand.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
So does this mean a private deposition or public hearing? Cause despite what they said today I think the House would be foolish not to take Parnas up on his offer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Deteriorata posted:

The Intelligence Committee has already subpoenaed him, he is ready and willing to testify.

They're not going to care if he incriminates himself, they're after Trump. He's cooperating with his own trial, the prosecutors there will already know anything about him that he may spill in testimony. I'm not sure what kind of immunity he would need.

He may be hoping to get some lenience in his sentencing, which is something that could be worked out in private beforehand.

congress can definitely, 100% offer immunity, it's written into federal statutes. they have to get a court to sign off on it, but it's not discretionary, judges have to do it and have no choice

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Fritz Coldcockin posted:

So does this mean a private deposition or public hearing? Cause despite what they said today I think the House would be foolish not to take Parnas up on his offer.

hoping public. i want to see devin lose his poo poo.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Contacting The Senate

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

https://twitter.com/weareoversight/status/1198082758926651392

https://www.documentcloud.org/docum...70ekmAeJFIaWbWI

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Holy poo poo. I had completely forgotten about this. It has been exactly 30 days since the court ordered State to start turning over documents within 30 days.

https://yubanet.com/usa/court-directs-state-dept-to-begin-releasing-ukraine-records-to-american-oversight/ if anyone needs a refresher.

It seems almost certain that the IC will reconvene to get at least some of this into the record.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Yeah I don't think we're done with hearings.

Arturo Ui
Apr 14, 2005

Forums Bosch Expert
It is absolutely hilarious that Trump's habit of saying he doesn't know people is coming back to bite him in the rear end

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

There is no way Republicans are gonna allow Trump to be questioned in person, is there? Like, that in itself is extremely abnormal.

Biden should play chicken with Trump here and promise to testify if Trump goes first.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Yeah I don't think we're done with hearings.

They'll never get around to impeaching him if he just keeps doing crimes!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
If this takes down that little poo poo Nunes and taints everything he's had his hand in, i'm going to need a cigarette and some electrolytes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

If this takes down that little poo poo Nunes and taints everything he's had his hand in, i'm going to need a cigarette and some electrolytes.

https://twitter.com/realDailyWire/status/1198095718063329282

well better start now.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Swallwell Knew

More like :smug:well I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Oh yes, he totally wants to go toe to toe with CNN when the first step of the trial would be discovery. Yup, he is totally going to do that