Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Any well meaning person should react to being told that they were using outdated and offensive language with "holy poo poo my bad thanks for telling me" or the like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah. If someone from a group you're not part of says "that word/phrase is offensive" and your response is anything but "I'm sorry, I'll try not to use it again" then you're doing things wrong. We're all ignorant about poo poo. We don't have to be stubborn and defensive.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

in fairness I don't think Robnoxious has been stubborn or defensive or refused to adjust their speech.

and myself I think I'm pretty well-informed and sincere on such topics but am just thinking of how many well-meaning Americans there are who never even once will let a minor slip pass, and dedicate so much passion there, while massive matters of life and death go by unremarked on. Some things we make progress on and talk about, but US imperialism seems to always remain off limits. I'm just extremely mad about what they did to Evo, okay, sorry!!! and dreaming about what if all the people who were on the right side on issues of race and gender also jumped into the discussion whenever the US is doing bullshit to starve and kill and burn in the global south. Not relevant to Survivor i know, like I said i'll be in the Latin America thread... sorry

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 22, 2019

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah it'd be cool if we fixed all the stupid bullshit that goes on here.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I agree that we shouldn't crucify people for a faux pas OR ignore imperialism or any injustice.

We should correct the record without rancor because the offender might be an ally with a touch of easily rectifiable ignorance. No need to break out the circular firing squad for every first offense while real evil exists in the world

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

It could have been a phone auto-correct or something

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
I was fairly tempted to not keep watching the show after last week but here we are. At least Elaine is cool again, and good riddance to Aaron/Missy.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I was already convinced that Production has been far too involved in this season (except in the one matter they should have been more involved in) and the show has turned into Big Brother Outdoors.
Now this.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Nov 22, 2019

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Apparently Aaron would only agree to an email interview, which they weren't okay with.

It does sound like production may be clamping down (especially since the players were fine releasing those apologies on Twitter), but might be best to wait til next week to see if it's a trend.

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I don't watch big brother, does production not allow exit interviews on that show? I would assume missy just doesn't want to be roasted by the press

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

I'm confused, are we saying that production is prohibiting them from talking to the press, or that they're refusing? I was under the assumption that exit interviews (with officially sanctioned media outlets) are part of the contract for appearing on the show in the first place.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sand Monster posted:

I'm confused, are we saying that production is prohibiting them from talking to the press, or that they're refusing? I was under the assumption that exit interviews (with officially sanctioned media outlets) are part of the contract for appearing on the show in the first place.

It was part of the contract that got leaked some years back, yeah

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

sleep with the vicious posted:

I don't watch big brother, does production not allow exit interviews on that show? I would assume missy just doesn't want to be roasted by the press

I think some big brother contestants got grilled pretty hard in backyard interviews after the season ended and most viewers stopped paying attention.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Big Brother doesn't let the Jury talk to the press until after finale night since its happening live and there's the chance of them getting outside information. By then usually most of the drama has burned out or there's so many people coming out to interviews you just don't notice. Or like me fans are just completely burnt out and tune out until next year. A juror getting called out meaningfully is basically up to Julie Chen and the producers on the live show. Sometimes she does, sometimes she doesn't. She hit one hated player in particular pretty hard this season.

This year there was a TON of controversy and the pre-jurors talked plenty about it. The jurors were clearly being given heads up in the house and preparing their responses. Hilariously Julie Chen hit the winner of the season with the criticisms of racism and misogyny on Finale night right before he won, and it very clearly ruined his night. Of course a lot of people decided that was an unfair "ambush" and SJW and blah blah. But the show actually did a relatively good job (for once) giving the minorities and victims of the season a chance to speak and making no excuses for the assholes.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

https://parade.com/957139/mikebloom/survivor-aaron-meredith-eliminated/

Aaron interview. Interesting take on how the Kellee vote really played out. Basically, new Lairo (Kellee, Janet, etc.) wanted to keep Jamal's idol play on Noura secret, but Dean leaked it to Aaron. Kellee and Janet refusing Tommy's pitch to incorporate the new Vokai (ie Aaron, Missy, Elizabeth) into the alliance, combined with Aaron revealing to Tommy that Lairo was keeping secrets from them is what swung Lauren and Tommy over to vote out Kellee.

Here's how he talks about his lovely performance at that heated Tribal:

So walk me through the comments you made at Tribal Council about her, and your thoughts on Jamal’s response at the moment.
Let’s fast forward to Tribal Council. I’m completely in the dark that there was an issue between Dan and Kellee. Janet has just lost it based on being blindsided, and I’ve been reassured my alliance was playing the game. I never connected the “production talk” with anything going on in the game. So I decide to speak up on what I saw going on in the game of Survivor coming from a purely game-related standpoint.

Jamal comments in response, and I immediately have a moment of internal shock. I remember thinking, “There must be more going on that I clearly have no idea about.” Immediate regret sets in because I was talking about the game of Survivor, but Jamal was talking about a very real issue. I 100% agreed with everything Jamal said, and rather than saying something somewhat redeeming, I responded with the nonsense about “having a sister and a mom.” Ignorance is an understatement. That is not how I wanted to accept his statement and pivot that we must be coming from two different places, as I am clearly in game mode where he and others, Janet included, were not and had stopped the game.

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Nov 23, 2019

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

He also talks about the production meeting they had:

quote:

Our “production talk” came about 10 minutes before our Immunity Challenge. My experience in that talk was this: “Aaron, we want you to know if you don’t feel comfortable or safe, please know we are here for you. We want everyone to feel safe out here.” Very out of the blue. I thought to myself, “Is this standard? Do they do this every season?” I have no clue. Just a very vague blanket statement telling me if I ever felt unsafe, I should let production know. Roger that guys, now can I go focus on winning immunity? There was never any indication that something was going on or that someone had issues. It just seemed like a standard halftime meeting.

Obviously they weren't about to tell uninvolved players about the incident so the vagueness isn't too surprising, but the fact that he says it was basically right before an immunity challenge makes it sound like they did not give it the required amount of time.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

They could have said “in reviewing our daily footage, we have noticed inappropriate touching on the part of some of the players. While we have not yet received a complaint, please know that this is against the code of conduct of Survivor and must stop immediately. Time will be made available for you to ask questions, whether you feel that you have been imposed upon or if you are concerned that your behavior has been at issue.”

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

Oh and also pulled Dan out of the game since he had already received verbal warnings from players on like the third day and completely ignored them

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Yeah you're right, they did the absolute bare minimum and then presented it as though they deserved a clap on the back for their great effort.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

My guess is they thought flat out bringing up "inappropriate touching" risked people who Kellee had spoken to linking it to her and there being blowback. But even if I'm right about that concern its undermined by them then speaking to Dan without Kellee's knowledge/blessing and not telling her. So like, I still don't know what the right way to handle this was but I know production hosed up from half a dozen different angles.

I'm also really sketched out by the lack of eviction interviews. I don't know what to make of it since Jamal has been doing them and talking about the issues. Like Missy and Aaron are hiding to save themselves, but maybe Kellee also doesn't want to drudge all this up and put herself through that? I have no idea and I'm not drawing conclusions but it looks like a CBS coverup.

Fast Luck posted:

https://parade.com/957139/mikebloom/survivor-aaron-meredith-eliminated/

Aaron interview. Interesting take on how the Kellee vote really played out. Basically, new Lairo (Kellee, Janet, etc.) wanted to keep Jamal's idol play on Noura secret, but Dean leaked it to Aaron.
I feel like in another season where we didn't have all these bigger issues we would have noticed that Dean basically screwed Kellee over and is more or less responsible for her being blindsided the tribal after she saved him.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

STAC Goat posted:

I feel like in another season where we didn't have all these bigger issues we would have noticed that Dean basically screwed Kellee over and is more or less responsible for her being blindsided the tribal after she saved him.

Yeah lol it's very cold-blooded of him but he potentially also judged it pretty well that a) Kellee wouldn't be the type to really hold it against him, and b) no one else knew about their little alliance so it wouldn't blow back on him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

So according to Aaron he and Missy were actually Karishima's allies and they only attacked her in Tribals to fool others.

Aaron is a bad liar.

He claims that after the stuff we saw of Missy and Elizabeth calling Janet a liar they allegedly went back and apologize to Janet, Janet told him, he told them, and they called her a liar again. But like he also alleges that he lied during confessionals to "keep up character". So yeah, nothing Aaron says carries any real weight with me.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I’m not sure who’s to blame for no phone interviews this week. Aaron was fine giving his over email, so it’s not like production told them not to.

Maybe he was too afraid of not being able to perform properly live? With emails you can take the time to think and give a more structured response.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, email interviews are WAY easier to control and there's no fear of him saying the wrong thing or getting caught off guard or countered. That interview linked he's got like a long, clearly prepared answer for everything. When they bring up his comments he has 2 or 3 paragraphs just describing what a hero to women he is in his own life before he addresses Janet or Survivor.

I don't like Aaron. So I'm trying not to like say anything too judgey or harsh because I'm not sure how fair I'm being.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Yeah, that’s fair. On my end, I don’t think Aaron is a saint (his comments about how, by the way, the two gyms he owns are women-only are similar to his comments at TC), but I’m willing to give him some benefit of the doubt here. He was a bystander to the main issues and had a different perspective on the whole thing. Doesn’t excuse the stuff he said, but he’s a lot less guilty compared to Missy, Liz and production.

I think he just sank his chances of ever being invited back on another season, if he even wants to come back. Heck, I don’t even know if they want Kellee and Jamal back despite their popularity.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I was more sympathetic to the guy after his apology video because like I'm willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they've grown and he just owned that he hosed up and apologized. As you said, he wasn't involved with most of it so he didn't have much more than that to answer for.

I'm less sympathetic to him after that interview because there's a lot of work he's doing to justify and rationalize his actions (and not just with the Janet/Dan stuff but with like the treatment of Karishima or just his overall game) and do the defensive work for himself. All that makes him look worse, and less sincere to me (and if that thing about him refusing to do live interviews is true that's a huge red flag). Like Missy he just strikes me as too self absorbed not to avoid making it about him and his narrative.

I think they'd happily bring Kellee or Jamal back if they wanted to. They'd never have to bring up Dan or Missy or anyone else and the fans would be ecstatic to see them given a chance to play without this bullshit weighing them down. With Kellee the narrative would just be that she played a good game but got overconfident and blindsided with 2 idols and with Jamal it would be that he made mistakes and played arrogantly to start, but grew from it and became a fan favorite by the end.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I think Kellee is much more likely to be asked to return, but even disregarding that, I don’t think Jamal is that inclined to return, his exit press makes it sound like he’s not particularly hankering to.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
People change their minds. It's common enough to be really brain-twisted post-game and while it's airing. (casting)I think the spoilered cast list for next season includes some folks who promised they'd never be back.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Propaganda Machine posted:

People change their minds. It's common enough to be really brain-twisted post-game and while it's airing. (casting)I think the spoilered cast list for next season includes some folks who promised they'd never be back.

Absolutely. Tony and Jeremy I know I've heard say they're absolutely done.

Hope production/Jeff didn't gently caress the season up. This is a hell of a cast list.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
not exactly a rock solid comparison but after playing awful survivor the first time i said i'd never play that again. it had been super stressful and also i won so why risk tainting that by coming back and being poo poo. but i said gently caress it and played again

and i didn't get offered money.

maybe i should have asked.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Was happy to see both Aaron and Missy go, it really opens up the game, but would of Ideally liked to see Tommy go over Missy.

Hopefully the rest of the cast try to break up the Lauren/Tommy power couple thing next episode, it's the best move for everyone.

I think Dean's social game went from a 1 to a 6 this episode, and can still improve further, he also has the potential to do a lot better at individual immunities, there are many that he should be winning but he often has a moment where he zones out and "drops the ball", so I think there is a lot of headroom available for Dean's game.

Apart from Dean I'm also rooting for Elaine, she needs to get Elizabeth on-side somehow, but I don't think Elizabeth is really going to take Missy's orders to go after Elaine that seriously, I think Elizabeth will wake up the next day and realize that Missy isn't there anymore and that she just has to start new relationships from scratch.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Considering last week’s episode, I’m hoping Elizabeth takes her rightful place as the next voted out.

Then Lauren.

And ideally Dan gets removed from the game weeks ago.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I set the timestamp at the moment when editors decided to play Noura's laughter isolated over a landscape shot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UniRLrzKa_c&t=87s

Aaron's is like, so proud of himself for predicting how much weight he lost and his "nutritional preparation" for the game. You can hear him brag about it early on, but later on in the video he liked brings it up again. Also, when he sees Jack, he's implying he hasn't had a smart conversation since Jack left, but he also realizes he's right next to Missy and some other people who were out after Jack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpYq4ktn_bI

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I wish they’d have at least cut around Dan in what episodes he remains in. They keep putting him on screen to say some irrelevant poo poo. If he’s part of a major strategy conversation then it’s unavoidable, but block him out otherwise.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
What if Dan is getting to the end? What if he win?

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I almost put that in the post, lol. That he’s getting his episode-opening pointless remarks as a winner’s edit lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Dan is almost assuredly getting to the end but that's because he has almost no chance to win imo.

Even without the gross stuff that means a third of the jury (minimum!) is already poisoned against him, he also has done jack all strategy wise.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Yeah I definitely see Dan + Karishma/Noura + the eventual winner as the final three.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Another Bill posted:

Yeah I definitely see Dan + Karishma/Noura + the eventual winner as the final three.

It's weird how you have Karishma on this list twice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
It's gonna be a goat final of Dan/Karishma/Noura and the entire jury will just refuse to vote.