Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Cattail Prophet posted:

To be fair, Seteth's combat specialties shouldn't come as a complete shock to anyone who's been getting faculty instruction from him. (Maybe also having him lead a seminar? I forget exactly which skills his seminars raise.)
He teaches flying and axes I think?
At least, those are in his teaching list but I don't remember if they're the seminar focus.
I seem to recall he can also teach lances and authority, but I'm not sure on these last two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Seteth's Faculty Training for Byleth is Lance/Axe/Authority/Flying.

Seteth's Seminar is Lance and Authority. With the description quote of "Begin a seminar on an ancient Fodlan fighting style using lances."

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
Seteth also trains swords.

Now that Thyrsus has been mentioned, it's by far the easiest path to utterly break Lysithea. Her major flaw is lack of range, and even on Maddening, she can be built to one-shot dudes left and right. It's such a massive force multiplier since the majority of your units can't one-round poo poo.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

The other thing to mention with Thyrsus and Lysithea on maddening is that with a strike range of 5 (S+ rank dark magic as well) she can open up on a lot of nasty bosses who don't have the counterattack passive but have a range of 3-4. Lunaing some horrible boss before your melee guys close in is absolutely necessary on maddening.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 22.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I'm not gonna lie, I know that feeling of LPing boring poo poo and rambling.

I would imagine temporal stasis like your friend Alexander to just be complete oblivion as most neural activity is a function of time. Probably no different from oblivion.

Oh, yes, Fire Emblem. Uh. That sure was a level!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

You can step in temporal prisons in any order you want, so you probably go lowest DPS > highest DPS. From what I've heard, if noone steps in one it pulls in a random party member and imprisons them.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Y'know, I'm reminded that Alois is kinda shafted as a character really. Like, he's fine, even kinda cool, they clearly put a lot of time and energy into getting the exact right cadence of Dad Joke Energy into his dialog. But the game sooooooo has no idea what to do with him as a character, and if you aren't hunting for Dad Jokes there is no a single scene in the game where he's strongly memorable. Kinda feel bad for him.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
The most interesting thing about that level came from the level background: why do rando Almyran pirates have what look to be proper cannons and when/why can’t we get them?

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Shinji117 posted:

The most interesting thing about that level came from the level background: why do rando Almyran pirates have what look to be proper cannons and when/why can’t we get them?

Don't need cannons when we have a Lysithea Nuke.

Edit: the FF14 talk helped me remember this gem of a song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pdqUzOH_Hg
I've never touched 14 due to time constraints, but I sank a lot of hours into 11 back in the day... I should try to check the LP for it.

Brunom1 fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 23, 2019

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Shinji117 posted:

Fodlan doesn't seem to have invented gunpowder, and being defined by their isolationism they sure as poo poo aren't going to get it from elsewhere.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The Alois reward battalion is Holy Knights of Seiros which is actually a decent B-rank Battalion with (maxed) 7 PATK, 5 PRT and 7 RES.

The archers remain the trash Shamir comes with though.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Odd question: what do we know of Almyra?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

in this route? it exists, east of the Leicester Alliance, and Cyril is from there, as far as I'm aware

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

Odd question: what do we know of Almyra?

There's some books in the library discussing it in broad strokes. It's a large nation to the east, the only land route is through the mountains known as Fodlan's Throat. They've got a strong history of horsesmenship. 120 years ago they invaded the Alliance, but were driven off with aid from the Empire. The fortress, Fodlan's Locket, was built using combined resources from the Alliance, Empire, Kingdom and church to defend against them and the invasion gave rise to the Officers Academy.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Since I want to record the next update, I need to close voting for the Goddess Tower scene.

quote:

Dorothea: 13
Mercedes: 12
Edelgard: 5
Game: 5
Caspar: 4
Ferdinand: 2
Linhardt: 1
Felix: 1

By literally one vote, we will be talking to Dorothea.

Now that that's over, it's time to start voting on who we'll be taking into this month's mission. We can choose from the following units. I'm not sure if Edelgard is a forced deployment or not, so I'll be putting her here for safety.

• Edelgard
  • Hubert
  • Ferdinand
  • Linhardt
  • Caspar
  • Bernadetta
  • Dorothea
  • Petra
  • Felix
  • Sylvain
  • Annette
  • Mercedes
  • Ingrid
  • Lysithea
  • Marianne
  • Flayn
  • Shamir

Same rules as usual, you all surely know the drill by now.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Ingrid, Lysithea, Sylvain

Gotta let our new danceboy show off!

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Sylvain and the two lowest leveled characters

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Let Lysithea loose the flames of hell!

Oh, and Edelgard and Hubert

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Edelgard, Lysithea, Hubert

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

McTimmy posted:

There's some books in the library discussing it in broad strokes. It's a large nation to the east, the only land route is through the mountains known as Fodlan's Throat. They've got a strong history of horsesmenship. 120 years ago they invaded the Alliance, but were driven off with aid from the Empire. The fortress, Fodlan's Locket, was built using combined resources from the Alliance, Empire, Kingdom and church to defend against them and the invasion gave rise to the Officers Academy.

In this case, where did the cannons come from? Did Almyra manufacture them, or take them from another nation?

AnAnonymousIdiot fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 23, 2019

The Flying Twybil
Oct 20, 2019

So what? You can't prove I posted that.

Leraika posted:

Sylvain and the two lowest leveled characters

Yeah, sure, I'll second this. Also that paralogue looked incredibly annoying given the insistence on wyvern riders and fliers in general. Are archers any use on the mission on Maddening, or do they get taken out too easily by the riders?

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

The Flying Twybil posted:

Yeah, sure, I'll second this. Also that paralogue looked incredibly annoying given the insistence on wyvern riders and fliers in general. Are archers any use on the mission on Maddening, or do they get taken out too easily by the riders?

I think archers are still useful as long as you keep them in town and out of range on enemy turns. They can be used to knock out fliers that attack the town while the units that can "theoretically" take a hit, try to land a hit on the mission target. It's a nightmare mission either way, but even weaker archers can be useful.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
I enjoyed this paralogue the first time I played it, but I also was relatively early in and was also playing Golden Deer so it felt a little more interconnected. (Plus, archerpalooza.) Since then it's been just a thing I have to get done to make the green exclamation point stop, and in my most recent run I've been holding off to recruit Alois first just to see if I can do something different with it.

Anyway, Marianne, Linhardt, and the lowest level character.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!
Ferdinand, Felix, and Sylvain

All people I pretty much stopped using because I had too many badass ladies to field.

slink_bot
Aug 1, 2016
Caspar, Sylvain and Dorothea

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Another thing that's notable about that paralogue is that the Wyvern Riders are far, far stronger than most units you've faced to this point.

Yeah, that's about it.

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
Dorothea, Petra, Lysithea.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

CmdrKing posted:

Fodlan doesn't seem to have invented gunpowder, and being defined by their isolationism they sure as poo poo aren't going to get it from elsewhere.

There's actually some battalion gambits that use gunpowder. Not sure how many are available yet, and it's pretty primitive "light fuse, run" stuff, but Fodland's at least got the material, if not the know-how to actually use it for anything but bombs.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.
Current results.

quote:

Sylvain: 7
Lysithea: 6
Bernadetta: 5
Edelgard: 4
Felix: 3
Linhardt: 3
Flayn: 3
Ferdinand: 3
Ingrid: 3
Marianne: 3
Caspar: 2
Dorothea: 2
Shamir: 2
Hubert: 2
Petra: 1
Mercedes: 1

DentD
Aug 13, 2015

I can predict the future! And you're going to be OKAY.
Mercedes, Hubert and Sylvain.

I think next time I have to play that paralogue, I'll wait until after I have dancer available and try to knock out the leader in 1 or 2 turns.

Rea
Apr 5, 2011

Komi-san won.

Update 23.
(SSLP Test Poster version.)

In addition, voting is now closed.

quote:

Sylvain: 8
Lysithea: 8
Bernadetta: 6
Linhardt: 3
Flayn: 3
Ferdinand: 3
Caspar: 3
Marianne: 3

quote:

Felix: 3
Dorothea: 3
Hubert: 3
Ingrid: 3
Shamir: 2
Mercedes: 2
Petra: 2

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

The Flying Twybil posted:

You really cant do maddening without bows on every physical attacker

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

There's something about Ingrid's conversation with Sylvain that leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I'm not sure what it is.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not for the first time I found myself thinking about a character in this game "What happened to you is awful and explains everything about what you're doing, but it doesn't mean you're not an rear end in a top hat."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

More that I'm reading Ingrid as using Glenn's death to guilt Sylvain and leaning pretty heavily on 'you can't do anything without me', which is kinda not cool!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I think I understand Sylvain a lot more now that I know he's a nihilist.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis
Nihilist is IMO too extreme term for Sylvain, cynic like Felix but different reasons fits better.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Tae posted:

You really cant do maddening without bows on every physical attacker

Given the usefulness of Curved Shot, I'd agree with you. I'd also question why people don't have a backup bow on every physical character in the first place mind, given how useful it is...

Honestly though, I found physical attackers to just struggle in general on Maddening. The average physical attacker does piss for damage if they're on average on their strength growth..... I ended up running like 6 mages because my physical dudes are by and large not cutting it.

Felix is sort of an interesting case study to me. It's obvious by now that Glenn's death ties a lot into Sylvain's, Felix's and Ingrid's interactions with each other, and more background on that gets revealed in the Blue Lion path specifically. His behaviour doesn't really get excused by it persay, but his persistent attitude is explained. He does care about them, but the way his friends and family have chosen to deal with Glenn's death keeps provoking him.

It also added significant poignancy to his solo ending on my Golden Deer file, since I recruited none of his friends there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Cherami Leigh's singing as Rhea in this part is real, real good.