Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Control took me about 60 hours I estimated. I did all the side stuff and wandered around for challenges etc. DS is over 140 hours for me so far.

I can't even imagine beating Control in 15 hours. How'd you do it? Did you use a flute Mario style?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

acksplode
May 17, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I beat Control in the amount of time it took you to beat one chapter. I hear delivering packages is a blast though.

Last night when I sat down to play I decided to leave the main story alone for a few hours and just do side deliveries, and I got an immediate burst of energy

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Heavy Metal posted:

Control took me about 60 hours I estimated. I did all the side stuff and wandered around for challenges etc. DS is over 140 hours for me so far.

I can't even imagine beating Control in 15 hours. How'd you do it? Did you use a flute Mario style?

I finished the main storyline in under 15 hours. I have yet to tackle all the the extra stuff, which I'm thoroughly looking forward to.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

BisterdDave posted:

I finished the main storyline in under 15 hours. I have yet to tackle all the the extra stuff, which I'm thoroughly looking forward to.

Gotcha, oh yeah lot of memorable boss fights and whatnot in the side stuff.

I generally am compelled to do a lot of side stuff. Plus since that helps you upgrade things, which is addicting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I did all the side stuff except for missing a couple of secrets and it took me like 20 hours.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Did you read and listen to all the logs? I wanna see your homework here.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'm honestly going to call partial BS on the online component of DS. Not that I think other players structures weren't really placed by them or something, but I think there's a lot of randomness and behind the scenes fuckery going on. For example, I built a watchtower near heartmans lab , left for about 30 minutes and when I came back it had over 3500 likes. 3500 likes in in 30 minutes... I've had strutures that are 10 times more useful sitting there for the entire duration of the game that don't have a single like. Also, almost none of my roads have been completed by other players, except the stretch from port knot to the engineer, elder, and craftsman. which magically appeared (and it's a big stretch of road) right after I completed the questline, which seems to be the case for a lot of people (everyone?) Now I'm noticing that all of my unbuilt roads are about 80% complete like people nearly completed almost all of them and just gave up, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Seems to me like the game is causing calculated bottlenecks and prioritizing certain structures to appear in other peoples games, and probably just giving random likes as well.

I don't even know if there is a server that people are bound together with? I'm not sure if it's and ongoing thing with the same people, or if its just stuff being randomly placed into other peoples games tbh.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Heavy Metal posted:

Did you read and listen to all the logs? I wanna see your homework here.

As with every other game that has logs, I'm super invested and reading them all for like the first hour, then I just collect them and move on.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

As with every other game that has logs, I'm super invested and reading them all for like the first hour, then I just collect them and move on.

lol :same:

Control was a little more manageable, but I only want to read everything in Death Stranding theoretically. I feel like reading everything in that game would add another 10 hours to it.

I think the last time I actually bothered to read everything in a game was SOMA.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

veni veni veni posted:

I'm honestly going to call partial BS on the online component of DS. Not that I think other players structures weren't really placed by them or something, but I think there's a lot of randomness and behind the scenes fuckery going on. For example, I built a watchtower near heartmans lab , left for about 30 minutes and when I came back it had over 3500 likes. 3500 likes in in 30 minutes... I've had strutures that are 10 times more useful sitting there for the entire duration of the game that don't have a single like. Also, almost none of my roads have been completed by other players, except the stretch from port knot to the engineer, elder, and craftsman. which magically appeared (and it's a big stretch of road) right after I completed the questline, which seems to be the case for a lot of people (everyone?) Now I'm noticing that all of my unbuilt roads are about 80% complete like people nearly completed almost all of them and just gave up, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Seems to me like the game is causing calculated bottlenecks and prioritizing certain structures to appear in other peoples games, and probably just giving random likes as well.

I don't even know if there is a server that people are bound together with? I'm not sure if it's and ongoing thing with the same people, or if its just stuff being randomly placed into other peoples games tbh.

Likes can be spammed exponentially as you lebel up, so that might have been just five or six people hitting the button a bunch of times. If I sit and Like a structure it’s usually +5-600 by the time I’m done.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I imagine it’s something like a few dozen people per server. In my playthrough there were one or two names that definitely popped up a lot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

yeah I've definitely seen a couple of mainstays, but I couldn't tell if it was just cause I was storing and reusing the same bikes so much. One of them is a goon on my friends list and I'm not sure if that was just random chance or if the game tries to pair you with a PSN friend or 2.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BisterdDave posted:

Same. I read ones that interest me but the poo poo about ordering coffee, whatever. I skimmed all of them I think.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
When you're repatriating you can go up to and touch the bodies of players on your server, and I think this makes you see their structures even more. Their bodies light up when you do it.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Man I wish there was a way to see my past unlocks in Death Stranding because I can't remember them and I don't know who to prioritize.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

veni veni veni posted:

lol :same:

Control was a little more manageable, but I only want to read everything in Death Stranding theoretically. I feel like reading everything in that game would add another 10 hours to it.

I think the last time I actually bothered to read everything in a game was SOMA.

I read absolutely everything in CONTROL and it was great!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think I read 70% of the stuff I ran into in Control, but sometimes I'd be picking up so much at once I'd start skimming. Certainly a higher ratio than the average game. Most of it was pretty good

I totally forgot. I read and listened to absolutely loving everything I could find in Horizon Zero Dawn and savored it. That game had some of the most interesting lore pickup stuff of any game I've played. I might have skipped some of it in the early hours before the interesting poo poo really kicks in but by half way through the game I was like "yesss. An audio log!" Which is insanely out of character for me.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I read absolutely everything in CONTROL and it was great!

I was lead to believe there's some obvious Alan Wake references in the game, but I haven't seen anything yet. I assume it's somewhere in the logs?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

BisterdDave posted:

I was lead to believe there's some obvious Alan Wake references in the game, but I haven't seen anything yet. I assume it's somewhere in the logs?

There's a paper that outright says Thomas Zane but I think it's towards the end of the game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

BisterdDave posted:

Most of them are in the logs later on in the game but there’s a monstrously obvious one that you do have to search a bit for (can drop hints as needed).

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

BisterdDave posted:

There's one in a secret area near this big rotating railbridge that outright says Alan Wake was an AWE.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Is Days Gone any good for $20 ?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hey! :mad:

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

damnit I set up ziplines between Timefall Farm and the Distribution Center so I could zipline out of the farm with pizza and champagne to a waiting truck at the Distro Center and drive the rest of the way, only to find out you can't carry things in your left hand on the zipline. :mad:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

God drat it Genichiro you rear end in a top hat.

Although I never used the Raven feather and holy poo poo nothing personnel kid. It owns

E: also Sekiro is missed one thing, a button that lets you anime shuffle your back foot in those standoff moments to boost your attack or posture.

JBP fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 23, 2019

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

kirbysuperstar posted:

There's a paper that outright says Thomas Zane but I think it's towards the end of the game.
There is another reference to Thomas Zane if you listen to one of the recordings of Jesse talking to her therapist. Jesse mentions something about reading a poem from Thomas Zane that she likes, and the therapist being confused because she can find no record of a 'Thomas Zane' who was a writer or poet (which if you remember from Alan Wake, I believe it's implied if not outright stated that Zane wrote his own existence out of normal reality)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
One NPC says they're hyped for the Sudden Stop movie.

Are there dates for the DLCs yet?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

haveblue posted:

One NPC says they're hyped for the Sudden Stop movie.

Are there dates for the DLCs yet?
They did a developer AMA on their Discord channel on Tuesday but I can't seem to access it to see if there's anything in there. I know they have not posted anything on their social media as far as updates besides the Photo Mode.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

fit em all up in there posted:

I got it for 30 a month ago and thought it was a very fun, if by-the-numbers open world zombie game. It has some interesting survival mechanics, it was neat to upgrade the bike at times and get access to areas I couldn't reach before, and the Hordes are really cool set pieces (and there's a bunch of them) but the story is really janky at the start and clearly suffers from a lot of cut content.

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
gently caress I am so frustrated with Control, I just want to finish it but the siphon bullshit at the end is so hard compared to things up to that point and anytime you die you're set *so far back*.

As much as I really enjoyed parts of this game I don't think I could ever recommend it, I can't tell if the dynamic difficulty is what's causing so much disparity in the different parts of the game but I found Bloodborne and the Souls games waaaaay less infuriating.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Nov 23, 2019

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Yes. It is a good open world overall.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

I’m in this photo and I don’t like it.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Heavy Metal posted:

I didnt give a poo poo about those timed random kill missions and everything died quickly to thrown objects

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Neglecting the gun in Control is also a big deal. If you can shoot accurately and throw at the same time you just annihilate everything. Spin is garbage but the standard and shatter with the right mods are death dealers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Im gonna find out next week

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Spider-Man DLC is finally at the "What the Heck, why not?" price for me, DMCV for $20 means i'll be able to spend all of December mastering the greatest combat system ever devised, and hell I might scoop $ Days Gone back up, I enjoyed my time with it and I'm only about 2/3 done.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Oh hell DMCV is also on sale? Might as well for that too

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

DMCV owns so much. Enjoy

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

JBP posted:

Neglecting the gun in Control is also a big deal. If you can shoot accurately and throw at the same time you just annihilate everything. Spin is garbage but the standard and shatter with the right mods are death dealers.

I'm pretty sure I could've made it through the game with throw and the first gun as my only weapons. Pierce was nice for those flying shield guys, but everything else can be taken out easily with throw and a couple extra bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BisterdDave posted:

I'm pretty sure I could've made it through the game with throw and the first gun as my only weapons. Pierce was nice for those flying shield guys, but everything else can be taken out easily with throw and a couple extra bullets.

Yeah a lot of reviews say pierce is necessary but eh, the standard kills things with headshots in no time. I'm talking more when you're near the end and there are a few encounters with lots of dudes and clipping the weaklings then throwing at the big boys is a way to avoid the games annoying reloads.