Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Aesop Poprock posted:

I haven’t watched the show, what’s she wrong about? Are there female characters in it?

One of the Mandalorians is a woman, and is implied to be the leader of a Mandalorian colony. If not the leader then at least a highly respected member of it because she runs a forge. I guess if you watched it with subtitles and sound off you could miss it because she wears a full body armored suit that isn't boobplate but she would be hard to miss if you actually watched the series

Edit: goddamnit those weren't there when I hit post I swear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

zoux posted:

I like Anita but take the fuckin L

If Disney is going to make it so that disliking their products automatically makes you a racist misogynist then the least they could do is pass the bechdel test

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Don Gato posted:

One of the Mandalorians is a woman, and is implied to be the leader of a Mandalorian colony. If not the leader then at least a highly respected member of it because she runs a forge. I guess if you watched it with subtitles and sound off you could miss it because she wears a full body armored suit that isn't boobplate but she would be hard to miss if you actually watched the series

Edit: goddamnit those weren't there when I hit post I swear

I’m just wondering how much weirdo mandalorian fangirl author Karen Traviss and her fans are freaking out about what they got wrong about her favorite pet project, cause I’m sure the answer is at least a little

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

zoux posted:

I like Anita but take the fuckin L

Kicking the hornets nest with open toed shoes and loose-fitting clothes, there.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Extremely horny and also only the one joke.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I'm getting the feeling you don't actually like Anita or understand anything she talks about.

Haha whatever dude

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Haha whatever dude

Cancel culture doesn't exist

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Gotta say cancel culture is doing a pretty poo poo job if people like Pewdiepie are still making millions of dollars a week. Step up your game, cancel culture.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

zoux posted:

Lol I didn't know you could look at how twitter's algorithm sorts you for marketing purposes, this is who it thinks I am

Anyway I wouldn't buy any targeted ads on twitter

you mean you arent a *check notes* leading baby boomer gen x millenial marketing soccer mom? in a 400k house making 120k/yr?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

snergle posted:

you mean you arent a *check notes* leading baby boomer gen x millenial soccer mom?

And I vote!

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Vib Rib posted:

Gotta say cancel culture is doing a pretty poo poo job if people like Pewdiepie are still making millions of dollars a week. Step up your game, cancel culture.

*in an extremely stupid accent*

If you cancel me I will rise again twice as strong

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

*in an extremely stupid accent*

If you cancel me I will rise again twice as strong

https://twitter.com/spookyDichotomy/status/1197604872037785602
:hai:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It says so, right there!

The message I get from this is that the Star War about the white dude did the least well of all the recent ones :thunkher:

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
They are so invested in "get woke go broke" nonsense.

EL BROMANCE posted:

There’s one female character in a short scene in the first episode, who was a bit more featured in the latest. Still only been one character so far, but we know from casting there’ll be at least one featured character.

Having not watched it myself yet, Gina Carano's character is also getting a huge push on the merch side that's basically equal to the Mandalorian. So hopefully she'll be pretty much equally featured as the season goes on.

It wouldn't be the first time Anita kind of jumped into something. I like her, but she can have some hot takes that she won't let go.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Rubin is married to another man.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Somfin posted:

Cancel culture doesn't exist

Counterpoint: Cancel culture is real and the Dixie Chicks are one of the most famous victims of it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Counter counter point the Dixie chicks were never the most famous example of anything

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

They are so invested in "get woke go broke" nonsense.

Having not watched it myself yet, Gina Carano's character is also getting a huge push on the merch side that's basically equal to the Mandalorian. So hopefully she'll be pretty much equally featured as the season goes on.

It wouldn't be the first time Anita kind of jumped into something. I like her, but she can have some hot takes that she won't let go.

I always liked Carano from her fighting days so really looking forward to her turning up.

Also I think the first 3 episodes work nicely together as a big chapter, despite not knowing what comes next. I wish I’d watched them as one.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Did she just assume yodas gender?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Inceltown posted:

Rubin is married to another man.

I legit think Dave Rubin gets off on conservatives treating him like their gay pet they can openly abuse while letting him gnaw on their media scraps

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

jaegerx posted:

:ughh:

Anyways, how was your meeting at Denny's?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

jaegerx posted:

You guys have one joke

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What is cancel culture? I honestly don't know, but it seems like a term I've only seen popping up in the last few weeks, but I can't figure out what it actually is.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
It's something chuds shriek about any time someone might possibly face criticism for doing or saying something lovely

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Leavemywife posted:

What is cancel culture? I honestly don't know, but it seems like a term I've only seen popping up in the last few weeks, but I can't figure out what it actually is.
A charitable interpretation is that it describes people's capacity to pile on a public figure and tear them down for a perceived slight, stripping away nuance in favor of righteous fury.

Most of the time though it means "someone was held accountable for things they did" and pairs like a fine wine with "virtue signaling".

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

wizzardstaff posted:

A charitable interpretation is that it describes people's capacity to pile on a public figure and tear them down for a perceived slight, stripping away nuance in favor of righteous fury.

Most of the time though it means "someone was held accountable for things they did" and pairs like a fine wine with "virtue signaling".

Applied right, it's people jumping at Louis CK for jerking off in front of a bunch of people who didn't want him jerking off in front of them

Applied wrong, it's noted domestic abuser and sexual battery committer Mike Cernovich getting James Gunn fired from GotG3 (temporarily) for decade old twitter jokes.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Applied right, it's people jumping at Louis CK for jerking off in front of a bunch of people who didn't want him jerking off in front of them

Applied wrong, it's noted domestic abuser and sexual battery committer Mike Cernovich getting James Gunn fired from GotG3 (temporarily) for decade old twitter jokes.

And it should be noted, instead it’s used by chuds to complain about Kevin Hart being held very minimally accountable for “jokes” about beating his son if he ever came out as gay, and then refusing to apologize for said “jokes”.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
It's worth noting that public shaming is as old as the hills. Cancel culture just feels new because social media gives us a way to broadcast and amplify our hot takes.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

wizzardstaff posted:

And most of the time they're not actually held accountable and face no consequences other than having to lay low for a a few months.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yeah, that's the only time I think I've ever considered it to have "ruined" someone's career unfairly (of course it wasn't really ruined, even if he did get fired from Disney) and even it was pretty widely regarded that Disney acted too hastily from what I saw, and ultimately he got reinstated so it's not really a case of that in the end.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I feel like the only recently-"cancelled" famous person whose life was completely ruined was Jeffrey Epstein and, uh, I can't say I feel bad about what happened to him.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Winter/status/1193230905529241600?s=19

Alex is absolutely not an idiot, btw.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Fister Roboto posted:

And most of the time they're not actually held accountable and face no consequences other than having to lay low for a a few months.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szybEhqUmVI

This is probably the best primer on "Cancel Culture" there is.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There was that YA author who got targeted by somebody else who quoted lines from their book out of context and whipped up a storm of rage about how supposedly racist their book was, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Byzantine posted:

There was that YA author who got targeted by somebody else who quoted lines from their book out of context and whipped up a storm of rage about how supposedly racist their book was, but I'm not sure if that's the same thing.

I feel like cancel culture is only a problem when famous people use it to punch down at nobodies. Rich celebrities and thinkpiece writers getting canceled by the rabble doesn't worry me - as others have already pointed out, their wealth and fame let them bounce back easily.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Pththya-lyi posted:

I feel like the only recently-"cancelled" famous person whose life was completely ruined was Jeffrey Epstein and, uh, I can't say I feel bad about what happened to him.

Is going to jail for a crime “cancelled?” I don’t think it is. I’ve never seen anyone refer to Bill Cosby or Jared Fogle as “cancelled.”

I think the biggest example of actual cancelation is Milo Yianopolous. He actually lost his gigs, didn’t get to go around to sympathetic shows to talk about how persecuted he is, his former fans have memory-holed him, and is currently living off Jacob Wohl’s table scraps to avoid bankruptcy.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Dr Christmas posted:

Is going to jail for a crime “cancelled?” I don’t think it is. I’ve never seen anyone refer to Bill Cosby or Jared Fogle as “cancelled.”

I disagree. Public opinion has definitely turned against Cosby and Fogle. The only reason we wouldn't say those men are "cancelled" is because "I hate convicted sex offenders" is a bog-standard opinion that people almost never criticize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

Counter counter point the Dixie chicks were never the most famous example of anything

They were almost certainly the most famous female country group of that era.

Pththya-lyi posted:

Jeffrey Epstein isn't a famous person. He's literally only known for being a sex trafficker with connections to powerful people, and even then most people only know that because of his getting arrested a second time.