Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Sorry for the thread necro, but I've recently been screwing around with this game on Switch after trying it briefly earlier this year, and am I supposed to be building a ton of poo poo? Maybe it's the controls or something, but I never really bother with stuff like that, and am just trying to get a grasp on shooting and scavenging. I mainly run around, keeping inside the safe zone, and maybe get a kill now and then.

I feel like I get and don't get this game at the same time.

Not necessarily, but at least knowing how to build ramps is sort of a need-to-know thing. Quick vertical access to places is very useful.

Also the creative modes offered are really hit-and-miss, but things like Prop Hunt are wonderful in a large party.

Father Wendigo fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Oh yeah, how do you guys feel about bots filling out the matches now? I'm not really plugged into the Fortnite community but I've seen it's sort of a divisive subject apparently.

I don't mind it myself, even if it's basically effortless since the bots are extremely braindead I kinda like just getting a few free kills a match.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I think it's a decent idea considering the demographic that mostly plays this game but I'd prefer better matchmaking. Is there a way to tell when the game takes you out of bot servers?

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I don't think there is a line of demarcation where you no longer get bot fills (no bots in arena though apparently). Even very good players on twitch or whatever will have bots in their lobbies, and those bots are as terrible as in any other lobby.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Okay, that’s pretty dumb then and a bad idea.

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i took all of last season off too and ive gotten more solo wins this season alone than all my other seasons combined.

matchmaking probably helps a lot with that but i dont know if i like the bots. i picked up and stopped playing realm royale specifically because it felt like all my kills were on bots and now every time i get a kill here im doubting whether it was an actual kill or just a gimmie.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I've not played the last two seasons because I'm enjoying Destiny 2. I do not build anything more in depth than a staircase, but I win matches every now and then. Is it a good time to come back?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Log posted:

I've not played the last two seasons because I'm enjoying Destiny 2. I do not build anything more in depth than a staircase, but I win matches every now and then. Is it a good time to come back?

I'd say so. I'm trash at building as well and have a handful of wins under my belt this season already.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003
Crush me like a Blorknorg!

They did a few interesting changes other than the bots as well. For one the daily missions have been retooled. There's no more direct battlepass ranks as rewards, it's all experience based and the daily missions now operate like this: You get ten "stamps" per day, with eight being worth 8k exp and two being 16k each. A stamp can be achieved through a kill, looting 3 treasure chests, or surviving to the last 50. You also get a bonus one for your first game per day. Stamps can also be upgraded by doing more of the things related to them, so if you survive to the final 25? That's an upgrade to the survival one, kill 3 players? that's an upgrade to the kill one etc. You get exp bonuses for the upgrades as well. You can only get the three stamps per game, meaning if you get all of them in each game it'll take three games to max out your daily stamp quota.

So basically you can level up your battle pass doing whatever you want to. The bots make it so that even someone who is useless against real players like me can get the kill quests done as well. All in all it's been a nice contrast from last season where they completely removed the daily missions, and I just didn't bother logging in to the PVP.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
SBMM has been a huge improvement for me, given that I suck. The players I come up against are almost always just as bad as I am! I won my third solo of the season the other day. The handful of players with me in the final circles all used the same sneaky strategies honed carefully over time to avoid getting curbstomped. The final fight was good and clean, with no huge building or editing or showing off. The other wins felt the same way, actually winning a fair fight, which is unlike the only solo win I'd gotten in the previous three seasons, handed to me by a better player that was clearly showing off and goofing around until I actually landed a loving shot for once.

There are absolutely still going to be better players, but now they're the exception instead of the rule. At least if you suck like I do.

The bots are fun to toy with, but they're invaluable for things like the "do any amount of damage to an enemy using an exploding gas pump" challenge. You'll discover their quirks and programmed behavior after a while. For example, they'll seek you out when you're in the middle of nowhere, like cute little homing loot pinatas. Just watch out, sometimes they get good weapons and actually land their shots.

If you've been thinking about getting back in, now is absolutely the right time. It might take the game a bit to put you in the right lobbies, but that's fine. Also from what I'm told, returning players are still getting the opening cinematic which drops you into a special game immediately with other new/returning players, so you may get your umbrella right away if it's nothing but bots.

McGlockenshire fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 5, 2019

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Captain Log posted:

Yes, they’re really trying to make the game more accessible. I enjoy the new map and think it’s better designed too.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Oh yeah, how do you guys feel about bots filling out the matches now? I'm not really plugged into the Fortnite community but I've seen it's sort of a divisive subject apparently.

I don't mind it myself, even if it's basically effortless since the bots are extremely braindead I kinda like just getting a few free kills a match.

It was really bad a couple of days ago, I was killing 5-6 bots before running into a real person. They seem to have tweaked something in the last day or so and I'm not running into any bots now. Though it might be due to them introducing skill based matchmaking and I've had a 6 month hiatus, so it took a few days of killing bots to convince them I wasn't trash?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

objectively bad posted:

It was really bad a couple of days ago, I was killing 5-6 bots before running into a real person. They seem to have tweaked something in the last day or so and I'm not running into any bots now. Though it might be due to them introducing skill based matchmaking and I've had a 6 month hiatus, so it took a few days of killing bots to convince them I wasn't trash?

It's the latter probably. I ran into significantly more bots until I got some wins/high placements

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I have a question about transferring Epic accounts across consoles. I've looked it up on Epic's support website and I think I know the answer, but I want to be 100% sure before I commit to anything. My nephew stays with us most weekends, and he's been playing Fortnite on my Nintendo Switch and my NSO account/subscription. His mom is considering getting him his own Switch for Christmas. From what I've read, I should be able to unlink the Epic account from my Switch and then link it to his Switch so he can save all his earned progress. Is that correct, or am I misreading something somewhere?

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

I just finished a squad fills match where one of the pubbies was this little kid who was super excited to get the W. It brought a smile to my face.

Thank you, SBMM for placing my trash rear end in the appropriate bot-filled lobbies.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Honestly between SBMM and the new map and the general refresh of items and mechanics I find this game incredibly more fun now. I basically stopped playing for like a year, maybe logging on every month or so to check out what was new. Now I've almost been playing daily since Chapter 2. The back-to-basics feel is really refreshing!

interpunct
Aug 2, 2006

Bad girls think that you're being a boob punch

Finally, a skin to reflect how trash my aim truly is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I installed their lovely mobile game and auto battled to level 20 and never unlocked the skin for STW. Anyone else have this issue?

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I installed their lovely mobile game and auto battled to level 20 and never unlocked the skin for STW. Anyone else have this issue?

I managed to get the ninja in STW but it definitely wasn't instantaneous. I'd already got to level 20 in the lovely mobile game before the promo and it seemed to sort of need me to have logged into both games and then wait for the next reset in each before it gave me the respective items.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Alright thanks.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
I think it shows up as a gift box in that game that you have to open before it will transfer over to Fortnite. I don't know why they did it that way but there it is.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Did they decide to obsfucate the season end date this time around or just move it? It used to be on the battlepass screen but now it isn't and I have no clue where it was moved to.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

we have no idea how long this season is going for at this point.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PlasticAutomaton posted:

we have no idea how long this season is going for at this point.

A few weeks ago with some patch notes they said this:

quote:

“To prepare for all the new holiday-themed updates, we will be extending Chapter 2’s first season into early February. Get ready for winter.”

So no exact date but looking at at least two months probably

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Yeah, that was pretty wild. I figured they'd end the season around now so they could start a winter holiday/Christmas themed one. Sounds like they might still do event stuff but just not have a new battlepass.

Blorknorg
Jul 19, 2003

I hate this. I hate everything.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They should have saved the lovely THEY FLY NOW:imunfunny: clip for this.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Hey y’all I’m trash but enjoy squads. Feel free to add me on epic/ps4 mandggaming.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Winter update came out last night, in case anyone still has this thread bookmarked. You can run around as a snowman!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

They announced at the game awards that you get a free tie fighter glider if you attend the Episode 9 clip reveal.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

They announced at the game awards that you get a free tie fighter glider if you attend the Episode 9 clip reveal.

It's the TIE Whisper you get as a freebie, it looks like the regular TIE fighter is a purchasable item though

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Plastik posted:

Winter update came out last night, in case anyone still has this thread bookmarked. You can run around as a snowman!

Tac ARs and Hunting Rifles back too..... I really appreciate their restraint so far in slowly adding back old poo poo to Chapter 2, it's fun being able to explore each addition as it's own thing.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

jivjov posted:

It's the TIE Whisper you get as a freebie, it looks like the regular TIE fighter is a purchasable item though

Ah, didn’t realize there was 2 of them.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol, the whole storefront is busted right now.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fortnite Star Wars event was cute

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Shame the vast majority of the playerbase couldn't see it, lol. Wonder if they'll keep it up

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Shame the vast majority of the playerbase couldn't see it, lol. Wonder if they'll keep it up

Oh did they not fix it in time? They delayed the start like 20 minutes to let the login server recover

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

jivjov posted:

Oh did they not fix it in time? They delayed the start like 20 minutes to let the login server recover

Yeah at least on PC, thousands of people got kicked off and stuff. Console seems to have been better?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

J.J. seemed like he felt pretty awkward. The clip they showed didn’t even seem like a new clip. I swear I’ve seen it before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

SeANMcBAY posted:

J.J. seemed like he felt pretty awkward. The clip they showed didn’t even seem like a new clip. I swear I’ve seen it before.

The mind trick and Poe and the stormtrooper dialog has been in loads of TV spots at this point. The "new" bit was the leadup to it, with them coming off the little shuttle and running through corridors