Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Coach physical instrument is probably my favorite "voice" voice of the skills and gives great advice like smashing through doors shouting "gently caress the police!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Kobal2 posted:

That said because I'm your typical RPG idiot, I'd made sure to exhaust *everything* on the first island & fishing village before moving further, so I have no idea how much Contact Mike silliness you can get up to once you've unlocked the thought

Really it was only with Acele, but all the rave kids get a lot more dialog if you can get them into the church.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

:coffeepal:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
why bother blacking out the dude's name, name and shame. Thread is still active in the steam forum for the game.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

sebmojo posted:

I think the Sensitive Cop preset is very good, it's a good mix of some physical competence and the weirder skills. I wouldn't try to game it too much.

Yeah, I'd say if you are going to play the game only once then Sensitive Sad cop is the way to go.

Its odd, because a combination of high inland, esprit and shivers feels like a throwback to a machiavellian vampire run where you have information that you shouldn't have but it works perfectly for this sort of detective game.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's perfect for a game inspired in part by a tv show where a detective throws rocks at a bottle to determine which lead to follow.

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

first time i see a -1 morale in real life

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

dang man, i actually really liked how it handled staying "neutral" on the political stuff. on my first playthrough where I was a weird mixture of a communist and a moralist, i was repeatedly mocked for being both a communist and a moralist. on my current playthrough, i am the most ultra liberal and trust me i feel extremely demeaned for being an ultra liberal. i've chosen like 3 fascist lines ever and i felt like a dink all 3 times.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I think the only fascist dialogue option I ever took was being like 'drat, dude, that is a crazy story' when I heard Rene's war story. Guy's a reactionary prick, but he is one brave motherfucker.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

dang man, i actually really liked how it handled staying "neutral" on the political stuff. on my first playthrough where I was a weird mixture of a communist and a moralist, i was repeatedly mocked for being both a communist and a moralist. on my current playthrough, i am the most ultra liberal and trust me i feel extremely demeaned for being an ultra liberal. i've chosen like 3 fascist lines ever and i felt like a dink all 3 times.

these are people who, at best, think NPR is "neutral" lol

they have no frame of reference and are totally ignorant of all actual political power so they see the inclusion of communism at all as pro-communism because "neutral" means it is never even discussed

also they're mad because they get called a racist if they agree with racists a bunch

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

do not ever censor the names of these creatures

edit: especially a name like that

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Nov 23, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Wheeee posted:

do not ever censor the names of these creatures

I did not take the screenshot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/dzvz74/racist_discovers_game_doesnt_respect_his_opinion/

And eh, you can search for the thread if you really need the name.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Aye Doc posted:

Yeah, that guy on the steam forum is just a fascist though if you read the thread (his user name is offensively racist, for example, which might be why it's blacked out come to think of it). He's just mad because the game dunks on fascists.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Kobal2 posted:

I did it by talking to Acele (who goes on and on about her music work and her contact mic. Get it ?). I don't remember which skill triggered the tangent (most likely Physical Instrument ?) but you can deliberately misinterpret what she's saying.
Encyclopedia.
lololol "urinalist board"

I love how the difference between in-game racists and irl racists is that in-game racists at least acknowledge they're racists while irl ones foam at the mouth at the mere suggestion.

Also love how the guy's convinced the game has a liberal preference.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I always wonder if this was something to do with the Ham Sandwich Race thing or if it's too obscurely regional for it to have made its way over there

https://twitter.com/scottwalker/status/794578578327371776

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Epic High Five posted:

I always wonder if this was something to do with the Ham Sandwich Race thing or if it's too obscurely regional for it to have made its way over there

There's a recurring british meme think of referring to fat old white men as gammon.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Has DE won awards yet because it should

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

By far the best reply in the racist thread posted:

LOGIC [Trivial: Failure]

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's a recurring british meme think of referring to fat old white men as gammon.

ah okay

well I'm pleased at how well it translates across the pond to our own ruling class of inbred conservative morons

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Upmarket Mango posted:

Has DE won awards yet because it should

You can vote for it in the TGAs.

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there

tripwood posted:

Hah, nice. From the devs:

So we, the player, are using FELD to view the game. Nice touch.

ZA/UM in i dunno when posted:

FORTRESS OCCIDENT announce NO TRUCE WITH THE FURIES, a story-driven role playing game about being a total failure. An almost irreversible, unmitigated failure. Both as a human being and an officer of the law.
huh, it's not exactly unexpected, but it's still pretty funny that they named the failed studio developing an incredibly ambitious RPG after themselves, a hopefully successful studio developing an incredibly ambitious. can't say it's not ironic...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

the The Game Awards awards

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

The TGA game awards, aka the Keighleys.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hwurmp posted:

the The Game Awards awards

drat right.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

:allears:

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Folks, I think that the game might not actually be neutral

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i don't have an opinion about it

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
i like how it features a Communist revolution that failed not because it fell apart but because it was crushed by outside forces

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Poland Spring posted:

i like how it features a Communist revolution that failed not because it fell apart but because it was crushed by outside forces

Like the Paris Commune?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paris_Commune

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

Poland Spring posted:

0.000% of Communism has been built.

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009

Aye Doc posted:

Just a heads up dink is a slur ageist Vietnamese in the states.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

NextSundayA.D. posted:

What?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

NextSundayA.D. posted:

drat, never heard that one before. And I grew up in the south.

Sounds like bullshit but it's made it at least to dictionary.com and wikipedia. Also this website from UVA. http://www2.iath.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Resources/Glossary/Sixties_Term_Gloss_D_J.html#Letter%20%27D%27

ulmont fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Nov 23, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

NextSundayA.D. posted:

What?

NextSundayA.D.
May 13, 2009
Maybe I didn't say that quite right. I didn't mean anything by it.

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

Oh come on, that better be bullshit. I loving love that word, it's perfect for when I'm an idiot but calling myself an idiot isn't festive enough.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i have no opinion on this

Neuronyx
Dec 8, 2016

GulagDolls posted:

i have no opinion on this

Stop trying to attract Empathy, THEY'RE NOT GOING TO CALL YOU BACK, MOVE ON.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I just finished the tribunal and I have to say "Kim *really* trusts you" is one of the best compliments a game has ever given me.

I also looked up the encounter afterwards assuming I could've gotten a better outcome and apparently 3 hardie boys dead and all the mercenaries without Lt. Kim being shot is about as good as it gets. Also everyone complimenting my shot when he shot a dude through the goddamn eyeslit is crazy, probably just because mine was the first shot and then everyone had bigger things to worry about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Somfin posted:

Folks, I think that the game might not actually be neutral

I will repeat whenever needed: it takes true-hearted communist leaning - actually lets go with straight up belief here - to do such a savage take on its failure like this game did. Outside literature, very few pieces of media in general have tried to artistically cope with the collapse of the Revolution, and Disco absolutely delivers on it.

It is everywhere and nowhere: a major reason of the way things are as they are now in Revachol is because communism happened, but absent; your own (harry's) contemplation of the matter leads to a very precise comment that 0.000% of the communism has been built. Yet, love did him in, but communism pulled the trigger.

Kurvitz and the other writers (I understand that one or two of them are Russian, even) seem to share a certain sensibility of the matter that intellectuals like Mark Fisher have described as "hauntological", the absence of something that is necessary to our present. A "nothing" that demands resolution in our collective understanding of the world. The original Communist Manifesto is all about that poo poo: "A spectre haunts Europe". What haunts Revachol and in many similar ways our own world, is the absence of the future promised. A new order of things happened, then it was crushed, at the cost of creating a hole in history. A flaw.

To mull over this flaw, to ponder about what it really means, it is really complex poo poo. Zizek, among others, have said that the actual philosophical and psychological cost of the failure of the Soviet Union has not been fully assessed and understood because of the sheer, titanic tragedy of it all: for a few years, the dream society that a lot of people envisioned and envision now was a concrete, real, actual in-the-fullest-sense-of-the word thing.

If one subscribes to the hauntological point-of-view, this was such a massively momentous occasion that essentially reshaped the course of history forever. From this moment onward, the new society, the revolutionary society, had to be. The failings of its government, the fact that it not lead the West to go along with it, the absence of its promise and its final downfall created much of the cultural malaises we suffer now, for if we were haunted before to bring it to existence, now we are haunted for its absence: things are not in the order that they are supposed to.

Disco tackles some of that poo poo exemplarly, mostly by giving you that feel, that yearning conveyed by the soundtrack and in some particular dialogues and scenes. Communism has failed, surely. For that, this is a weary world. However, playing it again, after you got to know the scars and has the hang of the place, a simple "Revachol forever" gains a powerful, foreboding feel. This is an invocation. The city has been conquered, but what it represents has not; its people have been put to suffer tremendous indignity, but they are the same that not too long ago, have put the most profound fear in the powerful forces of the world. Revachol forever means that they will become what they must be, again, for history demands it.