Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Necrothatcher posted:

I would just like a place to live and call my own.

I think this is the key. If it's a choice between:

1. Good homes but some people are homeless

2. Bad homes and nobody is homeless

Then I'm going to go with option 2. Obviously the best is "The best homes possible in the budget while ensuring nobody is homeless" but that's such an obvious statement it's kinda pointless to say it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

justcola posted:

I dunno, would anyone ITT actually want to live in a highrise?

If people could only own one home, bulldoze all the grotty housing full of black mould and rebuild better ones with decent windows and doors that didn't piss out heat, that'd be a good start. Any private homes that have acres land they don't use for agriculture or public use could also make good spots to build.

I love the countryside but just having cities get denser and denser seems a bit poo poo.

I wouldn't mind. I kind of like the idea of living at the top of a tower as long as you give me a lift and plenty of windows. I quite fancy the views :)

I'm an urban animal, though I do like to visit the countryside.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
When you understand footvall

https://twitter.com/ChukaUmunna/status/1198168826153713664?s=19

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Pfft. That's clearly a combination of #Libdemfartback and #Torysilentmajority

Labour is DOOOOOOMED! :freep:

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

justcola posted:

If people could only own one home, bulldoze all the grotty housing full of black mould and rebuild better ones with decent windows and doors that didn't piss out heat, that'd be a good start. Any private homes that have acres land they don't use for agriculture or public use could also make good spots to build.

I love the countryside but just having cities get denser and denser seems a bit poo poo.

highrises are in big cities with all the fun stuff due to population density, which is neat.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Lol at Amanda Platell looking for a bacon sandwich moment:

quote:

Did Jeremy Corbyn have his Richard Nixon moment with his skew-whiff, smeared spectacles in the debate with Boris Johnson?

Nixon lost the first ever U.S. presidential TV debate with JFK because he sweated so profusely.

How can we trust our future to a man whose glasses are as crooked as his promises?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I mean he's not wrong, voters do want a leader to score goals in the back of the net on the biggest issue since WW2.

It's just that that issue is austerity not Brexit and Jeremy has the ball.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

justcola posted:

I maintain that the remaining Victorian brick terraces post slum clearance are usually structurally sound as gently caress and they could easily be brought up to spec with a scheme for new uPVC windows and doors, mandatory roof insulation and firebreaks, and replacing poo poo boilers with high efficiency combi boilers or heat pumps.

Take back the private rented ones into public ownership, take back the land into common ownership etc.

Braggart posted:

Thoughts on putting parks and gardens on top of low or high rises? It seems like a neat idea but I really don't have the expertise to evaluate it properly. Seems like a possible way to find space for more greenery in cities and to have those green spaces really close to where lots of people are living. Hell, maybe we could have bridges between them so you don't have to go down to street level if you don't want to ;)
Roof gardens are cool. Roof allotments are cool. Bridges between buildings are one of those things that needs a mass planning for buildings with compatible architecture and either turns into:
  • Anti homeless city architecture where the high rise inhabitants never have to interact with 'street people' (Minneapolis Skyway System).
  • A place for crimes and to drop white goods on the pigs (goddamntwisto's London Series).
  • Unfinished utopian moneypits that eventually get demolished (The Midlands).

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Walton Simons posted:

Yeah because if anyone at that debate looked as shifty as Nixon it was definitely Corbyn and not Boris :D

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Ratjaculation posted:

The reason I used Singapore as an example is I've spent a bit of time there, and a friend's dad actually works in the engineering aspect of garden buildings. Basically, it's mega expensive to implement, as you need to separate any flora from actual building materials, but it's doable.

Personally, I'd like everyone to have an ground level allotment though...

Why not both? I have a vague memory of hearing that some buildings leave the ground floor free for community use and only start being buildings above that (also in Singapore?)

And if it's expensive then it should be a lower priority than actually building the homes for sure, if we do it at all :)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

Walton Simons posted:

Lol we didn't watch the debate but when my missus (who is probably voting green) saw the paper this morning she said "Boris Johnson looks really ill in these debate photos."

He honestly seems to have aged about 30 years since he became pm.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/NickCohen4/status/1198211153194868746

If Boris Johnson wins a majority, it will be because the Labour Party is not sufficiently Tory to make Tories vote for them. Christ.

These people are genuinely outraged that the Labour Party don't exist to just cancel Brexit and change nothing else.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Lol we didn't watch the debate but when my missus (who is probably voting green) saw the paper this morning she said "Boris Johnson looks really ill in these debate photos."

I reckon his liver is hosed.

It is kinda weird that they've repeatedly had to say Boris isn't drinking during the campaign - I mean, why specifically point that out at all?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Guavanaut posted:

Roof gardens are cool. Roof allotments are cool. Bridges between buildings are one of those things that needs a mass planning for buildings with compatible architecture and either turns into:
  • Anti homeless city architecture where the high rise inhabitants never have to interact with 'street people' (Minneapolis Skyway System).
  • A place for crimes and to drop white goods on the pigs (goddamntwisto's London Series).
  • Unfinished utopian moneypits that eventually get demolished (The Midlands).

Yes, I was aware that the bridges idea was pretty utopian when I wrote it, and it's therefore the part that I'm most willing to jettison :D

Maybe ziplines like in Assassins Creed would be better.

Cheers for the thoughts :)

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

justcola posted:

No, but I would not want to live in a typical suburb either, where houses are tightly built next to each other and everyone has a tiny yard and the next house is almost touching, I see these rows and rows of tightly packed houses and it doesn't look very nice to me. Small towns and villages of old are much nicer places to me with mixed densities and mixed residential and commercial zones and farms.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

a pipe smoking dog posted:

:shepface:

Turns out the position of Prime Minister doesn't agree with me, old boy. But I'm sure World King will be better. Onwards!

:barf:

:cocaine:

:shepicide:

Nova69
Jul 12, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know that this will probably get lost in the noise of the debate but thought you guys might be interested in a little bit of local intrigue. Excerpt from an email I've just sent to the Labour data protection address:

From a few pages back, but have you considered doing an effortpost or two on the whole tower hamlets/lutfur rahman stuff that's happened over the last decade or so? There seems like there's a lot of stuff top dig into, but because it's local politics it's not the easiest subject to explore from an outside perspective.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Edison was a dick posted:

Had a chat with one of the rough sleepers of Manchester I'm familiar with on the way home tonight.
4 people he knew died from the cold yesterday.
One died in the period between the morning shift builders seeing him and returning with a cup of tea.
One died after having given up his sleeping bag for another rough sleeper so she wouldn't freeze.

The Labour manifesto has some amazing stuff in it but the most... the most loving important part is the section on the homeless.
Immediate loving relief for the homeless as soon as they get in power.
That's going to save do many loving lives.

gently caress... I'm crying. Do whatever the gently caress you can. Lives are on the line and it's within our power to save them.

Been thinking about this since you posted it, I go into Manchester once a week, and this super bothers me. :( I try and do what I can, but it's not enough... I'll try and take some gloves and handwarmers with me next time at least...

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I'd be okay with high rises if they were of a decent size and designed so that you could move furniture from room to room with ease, but I'm thinking more along the lines of recent new-builds and the potential that future governments may cut back again and you end up with dilapidated hulks like on Candyman or some poo poo.

I think everyone's preference is going to be something akin to what they grew up in - so by investing across the country you'd have less brain drain and people can have whatever houses they want whilst building up towns and villages rather than London - maybe slightly simplistic but there's plenty of room outside cities. And most of the causes of homelessness tend to be complex and at a societal level rather than, ey, we ran out of houses.

We could all have nice sized houses with community allotments and no roads because its all tram and rail. You just need to build Super Milton Keynes/Brazilia in the middle of Scotland.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

justcola posted:

Acres of land in the countryside that have been somewhat spared human encroachment because they're owned by people who do not care if those areas are "productive" are exactly the wrong places to build. Turn them all into national parks where civilization is bared access, and instead build in areas abandoned by people yet so thoroughly ravaged that it'll take forever for nature to reclaim, like a lot of former industrial sites, or housing areas that are beyond salvage. Thinly spreading humanity across all the land not only encourages environmentally damaging processes such as single occupant car commuting, the mere presence of people and roads is deleterious to a lot of wild life, so it'd be best if we retreated from the country side as much as possible.

thespaceinvader posted:

I mean he's not wrong, voters do want a leader to score goals in the back of the net on the biggest issue since WW2.

Remain leaders scoring goals in the Remain net is an own goal though.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

justcola posted:

I rather like highrises but then I grew up in eastern europe soo.

I guess it's a matter of what you are used to.

e: For a particular common complaint I often hear neighbours more through lovely semi-detached or terrace walls than I could in a soundproofed highrise building.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 23, 2019

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Lmao

"score goals in the back of the net" is identical to my fake football patter during the cups

E "labour has to put some goal points on the board before the last half if they want to take home the cheese, its a game of two sides though"

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I'd happily live in a high-rise, but I've lived in a cottage flat for most of my life.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Remain leaders scoring goals in the Remain net is an own goal though.

Well that shows you how much attention I pay to sports.

(Also in my metaphor it's not the remain net so who cares lol)

And FWIW I've lived in at least two buildings over 5 storeys before, one of which was over 10. Not sure what counts as a high rise though. And that's not including student flats.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfU69_up02Y

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

justcola posted:

I'd be okay with high rises if they were of a decent size and designed so that you could move furniture from room to room with ease, but I'm thinking more along the lines of recent new-builds and the potential that future governments may cut back again and you end up with dilapidated hulks like on Candyman or some poo poo.

I think everyone's preference is going to be something akin to what they grew up in - so by investing across the country you'd have less brain drain and people can have whatever houses they want whilst building up towns and villages rather than London - maybe slightly simplistic but there's plenty of room outside cities. And most of the causes of homelessness tend to be complex and at a societal level rather than, ey, we ran out of houses.

We could all have nice sized houses with community allotments and no roads because its all tram and rail. You just need to build Super Milton Keynes/Brazilia in the middle of Scotland.

The thing that map doesn't show is WHY vast swathes of Scotland are empty: the Highlands aren't called the Highlands because they are flat. Even if you go for the triangle between the M8, M9 & M80, it'd be hard to imagine that much infrastructure spending going on Scotland.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

thespaceinvader posted:

And FWIW I've lived in at least two buildings over 5 storeys before, one of which was over 10. Not sure what counts as a high rise though. And that's not including student flats.

I'd say 5 stories is a decent dividing line, past a certain point it's just a question of scale.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

quote:

The thing that map doesn't show is WHY vast swathes of Scotland are empty: the Highlands aren't called the Highlands because they are flat. Even if you go for the triangle between the M8, M9 & M80, it'd be hard to imagine that much infrastructure spending going on Scotland.

I was jesting, sort of, but just building enormous high rises in cities seems too far the other way too.

Nettle Soup posted:

Been thinking about this since you posted it, I go into Manchester once a week, and this super bothers me. :( I try and do what I can, but it's not enough... I'll try and take some gloves and handwarmers with me next time at least...

The homeless crisis in Manchester is loving atrocious. There's a number of charities in the area that you can help more directly beyond donating to Shelter (which is also a good thing, but localised help can offer more)

The Mustard Tree is based just outside the Northern Quarter that runs a shop and also offers a lot of front-line assistance to homeless people and those with complex needs. There's also Back on Track that can help people in a more stable position to get into employment and such. Coffee for Craig is also another big one, though I've heard mixed things from people who volunteer for them, I think it's starting to get too big for what it was originally meant to be. At a more day to day level, The Booth Centre is a good place to signpost people sleeping on the street - though you get some backlash as it's 'full of spice heads', they offer food and shelter and can be a good entrypoint to access further assistance, as is Shelter.

At this time of year clothing is great - hats, gloves, socks - and basic things like sanitary pads, toothbrushes, deoderant etc. Be wary of big drives for donations as a lot of the places don't have capacity to take hundreds of bags of clothing and food at once. A couple of years back someone did a massive drive in Piccadilly Gardens and about 100 bin bags of donations ended up being left outside, rained on and started rotting as places couldn't take in so much poo poo.

I don't give money to homeless people directly, but I work with some of the above charities and giving warm food/coffee is always good (and something healthier than Greggs or pizza is also a plus)

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

The important thing is where the jobs are - housing will follow. We need to put in effort to trying to get jobs out to second-tier cities, but we're fighting against economic gravity - it's easiest to set up a company doing something near others doing the same thing. Better transport links and communication helps, of course, but even then it'll take huge effort just to stop jobs in london growing - ideally we'd not invest into london-centic infrastructure at all and just make other places better, but london railways are what lots of people tend to use...

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

god drat that's a hell of a spike - bigger than the 2nd last day in 2017. let's show the graphs (raw data at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/19BRuYQDh-FmIAOpLVYBIkWoz6Lo7ckuq7euyyVJuqOI/edit?usp=sharing)

CAVEAT: voter registration data isn't clear on if it means updated registrations, new entrants, if it was a valid submission, etc. so take this as a grain of salt

here is the last two weeks of 2017 next to 2019 as raw data, added a heat map to make the differences more visible:

and no that last day in 2017 isn't a total - the spike on the last day of voting does get that big. yeah this friday was an insane spike relative to 2017

for an idea of how the different age bands have increased registration compared to 2017:

and raw numbers:

2017 (last line is only counting to today, relative to the end of 2017 registration):

2019 (ignore the last line, it's to make comparison with 2017 data easy):

and some random stats:

once again the 45 split was chosen as it's where the polls are claiming the lab/con crossover is at

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Necrothatcher posted:

I reckon his liver is hosed.

It is kinda weird that they've repeatedly had to say Boris isn't drinking during the campaign - I mean, why specifically point that out at all?

Because the last thing you need is a drunken PM hitting the little red button and nuking all the letterboxes.

Of course we know Jo; would just do it perfectly sober and in cold blood.

thespaceinvader posted:

Jeremy has the ball in hand and he's running with it, gonna score a hole in one.

E: The only time I lived in a 'high rise' was when I rented a 6th floor flat in Manchester. £450 a month, those were good days.

I really hope that registration surge was people watching QT, thinking 'gently caress this guy as PM' and registering online. Let me have my daydreams.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Nov 23, 2019

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

So Relatively more olds are registering to vote compared to young people when contrasted with the 2017 data? Not promising, honestly, even if the raw numbers are low it might indicate a high turnout.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

Jeremy has the ball in hand and he's running with it, gonna score a hole in one.
It's only a game, so put up a real good fight.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Communist Thoughts posted:

Lmao

"score goals in the back of the net" is identical to my fake football patter during the cups

E "labour has to put some goal points on the board before the last half if they want to take home the cheese, its a game of two sides though"

No no, Chuka, the object is to get the lowest score. It's like golf.

Ah, like the sport of men of the people! Then may the best man win.

And by best I mean me :smug:

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Guavanaut posted:

Low rises with district central heating is the way you want to go for that then. Electricity systems are pretty centralized to the substation no matter how you go as long as it's not individual farmsteads, gas and district heating is fine to run along the base of rows of terraced housing/tenements, and it gets rid of most of the access issues of high rises.

Here's a question about gas. I know nothing at all about architecture or housebuilding, but I hate gas. What is it good for?

Is there any need to ever run more gas mains anywhere for any reason, if you're building new houses? Serious question. Why not district heating, actual insulation, and electricity?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

RockyB posted:

I really hope that registration surge was people watching QT, thinking 'gently caress this guy as PM' and registering online. Let me have my daydreams.

I love that that sentence could refer to Corbs or Joris depending on emphasis.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Braggart posted:

And ronya smoothly disengages from the point and moves on to...

"It will be difficult and people will complain."

Well yes, it's a leftist policy. I think we should do it anyway.

Why do you never reply to my arguments against yours, ronya? :)

because it was content-free spin that did not engage with the concrete problem... I don't know why you are reading out campaign leaflets in UKMT. Either it is preaching to the converted or... not, as the case may be. In any case I can assure you that Sir Starmer will not be much bereaved if I do or do not vote for him (in the hypothetical that I do vote in a UK election as a UK citizen).

by 'location' and 'kind', to be clear, one is focusing on the size and variety of housing. The UK does not build enough large multi-bedroom homes for the middle class. The growing non-London cities across E&W are already overcrowded, with jobs growing faster than housing supply; the problem there is negotiating with the local authorities in their periphery. People like having more local jobs. They don't like influxes of new residents. This is a constant across the entire Western world, really.

Ultimately these are political problems orthogonal to things which win general elections; to be clear, I don't expect that any UK political party to campaign on having answers there. Many good answers are unpopular ones, like "green belt flexibility" or "ease conversion of nonresidential property to residential property" or "reintroduce regional planning at the expense of local authorities" or "allow local authorities to raise more housing-revenue-financed debt, through the now-uncapped HRA". Labour is pledging the opposite of every one of those things, which is not shocking... the hope of the Labour leadership is a landslide victory sufficient to realize its £75bn of council housing, which would eliminate the need for distasteful compromises. It will probably not obtain that victory next month. Does that allow the party to backtrack and make compromises after all? Would it allow Labour-held councils to do so? Who knows.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Nothingtoseehere posted:

So Relatively more olds are registering to vote compared to young people when contrasted with the 2017 data? Not promising, honestly, even if the raw numbers are low it might indicate a high turnout.

My totally uneducated (and pessimistic) guess is that it's going to be older Leave voters who normally don't vote in GEs registering to vote for Tories / BP. OTOH in raw numbers the younger registrations dwarf them so that's good.

Also the huge spike in u35 registrations yesterday seems really good?

RabidWeasel fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 23, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

jaete posted:

Here's a question about gas. I know nothing at all about architecture or housebuilding, but I hate gas. What is it good for?

Is there any need to ever run more gas mains anywhere for any reason, if you're building new houses? Serious question. Why not district heating, actual insulation, and electricity?

It's pretty helpful for cooking as you can control the temperature a lot more reactively. Bring on hydrogen gas cookers IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

jaete posted:

Until we can get electricity prices down to half of what they currently are, using only nuclear and renewables, and not relying on gas turbine plants, it's still the cheapest option that most people have for heating and cooking.

District heating and hot water and grants for induction hobs and heat pumps would go a way towards helping this too.

e: ^^ Electric cookers with actual PID units would be a good thing too.