Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

MiddleOne posted:

Yeah this production way way too expensive to ever risk not using stunt doubles for anything more frantic than slow walks, standing still or sitting down.

You also save shooting days by having second unit take location footage with some double walking around. Helmeted hero must be great for scheduling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Donovan Trip posted:

They're in hiding. I don't think anyone knows they're there en masse, one even comments they "only come above ground one at a time." Their secrecy is their strength!

1000% his helmet is coming off before the season ends

How do they shave? they should have tree beards coming out of that helmet by now.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I love so hard that they've come up with a plot justification for the helmet never ever coming off and I really hope it never does. Dredd 2012 my heart out Disney.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

How do they shave? they should have tree beards coming out of that helmet by now.

i mean i assume they shower and brush their teeth and poo poo too. and sleep. i think we can assume it doesn’t literally mean they never remove the helmet, probably just like they’re never to be seen without it

maybe its like the Bandit, they only take their helmet off for one thing (railing sally field)

Joke Miriam
Nov 17, 2019

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Holy poo poo they used the Cloud City Ice Cream Maker prop as the carrier for the beskar ingots

I love this show

I was wondering why they were keeping square metal ingots in a cylindrical container like that. It turning out it was an excuse to show an updated model of the Wilrow Hood ice cream machine is absolutely fine by me.

I wish a character would mention how Beskar can be melted to form objects many times its original volume, or something. I can accept that it's just magic Nipponese Mandalorian space metal that's folded a jillion times, but only if a character acknowledges it with some throwaway line.

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust

Joke Miriam posted:

Wilrow Hood
He has a name and a Wookiepedia entry because of course he does.

Are there even any more possible OT easter eggs left at this point?

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Pleasing Shape posted:

Yes. That dancer in Jabba’s palace with six tits

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

Pleasing Shape posted:

Pretty sure I saw the metal pole they try to use to brace the trash compactor in a new hope lying around on the street this episode.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Joke Miriam posted:

I was wondering why they were keeping square metal ingots in a cylindrical container like that. It turning out it was an excuse to show an updated model of the Wilrow Hood ice cream machine is absolutely fine by me.

I wish a character would mention how Beskar can be melted to form objects many times its original volume, or something. I can accept that it's just magic Nipponese Mandalorian space metal that's folded a jillion times, but only if a character acknowledges it with some throwaway line.

Alloying it with other metals? Or plating more conventional metals with it?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

JBP posted:

You also save shooting days by having second unit take location footage with some double walking around. Helmeted hero must be great for scheduling.

makes ADR pickups super easy too. Really just lots of luxuries to be had with a full body costume, though the obvious tradeoff is you lose seeing an actor emote with their face.

gohmak posted:

I think George Lucas as an employee would make brilliant Star Wars again.

He really has no reason to ever do it, but I'd like to see him take a swing at a whole new idea of his own creation completely unrelated to Star Wars. Use the crazy effects tech that's out there now to make something really fun and interesting. I can't say I have faith in it turning out awesome after the prequels, but if he wants to take a shot at convincing everyone he's got a really good creative mind and auteur out something new using his piles of money, instead of giving heaps to charity, then I'd at least tune in to see what it was. Or more likely some studio would take a flyer on something with his name behind it.

Once you spawn the multi-billion dollar juggernaut of Star Wars though you really don't go back to the drawing board.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 23, 2019

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
You know what's really cool but overlooked in the live action stuff?

Vibroblades

goddamn I'm so impressed and pleased

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I still think Pedro Pascal is not being as well used as he could but I loved this episode. The John Wickesque ending was great.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
My favorite part of the episode is when it went full western and Mando jumped onto the stagecoach and forced the droid to start moving. Right after that moment when they shoot the droid I think I yelled out, "Oh poo poo, they shot the horse" and every horse falling over moment in movie history flashed before my eyes.

Is anyone going to disagree that this is the best Star Wars stuff that Disney has put out?

If so, I'll go watch the thing you think is good so that I can shake my head and judge you harshly.

Small Gay Planet
Aug 2, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

An Ounce of Gold posted:

Is anyone going to disagree that this is the best Star Wars stuff that Disney has put out?

If so, I'll go watch the thing you think is good so that I can shake my head and judge you harshly.

I was gonna say Rogue One but that would have been a lie.

The Mandalorian is about a single dad trying to do right by his adopted child :gbsmith:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

An Ounce of Gold posted:

My favorite part of the episode is when it went full western and Mando jumped onto the stagecoach and forced the droid to start moving. Right after that moment when they shoot the droid I think I yelled out, "Oh poo poo, they shot the horse" and every horse falling over moment in movie history flashed before my eyes.

This kinda looks like a sequel to Clone Wars/Rebels more so than Resistance. It's certainly the post-Disney SW stuff that has entertained me the most so far.

I like SW the most when it's a western spaghetti so it's hitting all the right spots.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Small Gay Planet posted:

I was gonna say Rogue One

WHAT! Head moves slightly to the left.

Small Gay Planet posted:

but that would have been a lie.

...ok

Elentor posted:

This kinda looks like a sequel to Clone Wars/Rebels more so than Resistance.

YOU CAN'T BE- Head moves slightly to the right.

Elentor posted:

It's certainly the post-Disney SW stuff that has entertained me the most so far.

...ok

You two are on thin ice!

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Nov 23, 2019

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!
I'm going to throw this out there- I'm guessing at some point we're going to see a de-aged Mark Hamill cameo. Probably a brief hologram as someone takes Babyoda and makes a call just as the Mando rides off into the sunset for season 2. Which of course would imply he was at the temple when Kylo Ren destroyed it and better be a tiny Knight of Ren in Episode 9. Although I expect to see the baby as a cameo himself when Rey or redeemed Ben starts a new Jedi Temple as a happy ending montage. He'd be about 100 right? So a kid padawan?

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

Pez posted:

I'm going to throw this out there- I'm guessing at some point we're going to see a de-aged Mark Hamill cameo. Probably a brief hologram as someone takes Babyoda and makes a call just as the Mando rides off into the sunset for season 2. Which of course would imply he was at the temple when Kylo Ren destroyed it and better be a tiny Knight of Ren in Episode 9. Although I expect to see the baby as a cameo himself when Rey or redeemed Ben starts a new Jedi Temple as a happy ending montage. He'd be about 100 right? So a kid padawan?

They might do that but I'd prefer if they just hired someone who's the right age. The de-aging tech is just weird.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Just caught up and I was avoiding spoilers so I dunno if this is a cold take but -- does anyone else feel sort of like they're just watching a video game here? I don't mean in terms of CGI and stuff (which is great) but he does a bounty, gets paid in special currency he uses to upgrade his armor, does another bounty, gets a one-time use weapon... It has the loop of a video game. This might be a chicken and egg problem a bit, but the rhythm of set piece fight -> get new quest / upgrade -> set piece fight really just has me sitting there wondering how long it'll be before they announce The Mandalorian Gaiden for home consoles coming soon...

This isn't really good nor bad per se, but it's not helped by the fact that we don't have any real characters on display. It's basically a one-man show with some bit parts, and the one-man has a convenient helmet on.

I'm enjoying it, to be clear. It just reminds me of watching a Lets Play more than an actual TV show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

An Ounce of Gold posted:

WHAT! Head moves slightly to the left.

Millions of nerds all around the world agree with Rogue One being the pinnacle of disney star wars.
Until 2 weeks ago.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

NmareBfly posted:

Just caught up and I was avoiding spoilers so I dunno if this is a cold take but -- does anyone else feel sort of like they're just watching a video game here? I don't mean in terms of CGI and stuff (which is great) but he does a bounty, gets paid in special currency he uses to upgrade his armor, does another bounty, gets a one-time use weapon... It has the loop of a video game. This might be a chicken and egg problem a bit, but the rhythm of set piece fight -> get new quest / upgrade -> set piece fight really just has me sitting there wondering how long it'll be before they announce The Mandalorian Gaiden for home consoles coming soon...

This isn't really good nor bad per se, but it's not helped by the fact that we don't have any real characters on display. It's basically a one-man show with some bit parts, and the one-man has a convenient helmet on.

I'm enjoying it, to be clear. It just reminds me of watching a Lets Play more than an actual TV show.

Not for me, but then again I grew up with old Westerns on TV not YouTube playthroughs, so YMMV. It's just a big old space western to me, much like Firefly

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't think you want to spend several episodes developing characters when you are spending a billion bucks to launch your streaming service. Plus I think superficial characters is kinda a disney trademark besides mickey and co which have been in thousands of hours of programing and have a ridged set personality. Enjoy the pew pew. This is not the cultural enrichment you are looking for.

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

There is more emotion shown in the yoda puppet and mando helmet than all of the prequels combined...

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NmareBfly posted:

I like the show so far and like I said, the western spaghetti is a huge appeal to me. Like Pez I also like Firefly a lot.

With that said yes, I do feel like the show has the structure of a video-game at times and that threw me off a bit. I think the aesthetics also don't help. Part of what my brain does as a CGI programmer is looking for patterns all the time. Some of the texture transitions make me think of vertex painted transitions in videogames.

None of that really bothers me, they're just things that I notice. But a few things throw me off: Visiting the Blacksmith feels like the player visiting an NPC after a mission. As Mando walks to her she's just sitting, idle, then the camera changes to what would normally be a videogame shot-reverse-shot of two characters talking. It's extremely easy to point how this structure is not dissimilar to other adventure movies but the editing, timing and coloring is like a mix of Skyrim with Bioware games at times. Like I said, none of that ruins my immersion, but they're definitely there and would be a nitpick if I weren't enjoying the show.

Also something that I don't think I've ever actively noticed outside of videogames (not even in 3D animations) that is very obvious in this show is beveling hard edges, smoothing the bevel, masking it and adding noise to simulate weathering in Zbrush. It's a very specific trick that's super easy to recognize once you know what it is. It doesn't bother me but it's something I've only noticed before in videogames, and I wonder if it's one of those things that others might not notice consciously, but their brain will etc.

I'm almost sure the CGI artists for this show are either ex-videogame artists or trained to be.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 23, 2019

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Elentor posted:

I like the show so far and like I said, the western spaghetti is a huge appeal to me. Like Pez I also like Firefly a lot.

The difference between this and Firefly is that Firefly has an actual ensemble cast. You can watch it for more than the western parts to see different characters bounce off each other and develop. There's definitely some amount of development here and I'm sure there'll be more for main dude as we go forward, but will there be for anyone else? Too early to say, I know; we just finished the first arc and characters might stick around for longer in the second and future ones.

quote:

Visiting the Blacksmith feels like the player visiting an NPC after a mission. As Mando walks to her she's just sitting, idle, then the camera changes to what would normally be a videogame shot-reverse-shot of two characters talking. It's extremely easy to point how this structure is not dissimilar to other adventure movies...

That scene is what first made me think about this, yeah. I could almost see the menu popping up behind her with a list of upgrade options. The second part is what I meant by a chicken / egg problem -- I'm not sure if this is aping video games, or video games were aping adventure movies. It's both really, but something about it just felt very blatant to me. It also may be that I watched the first three episodes back to back, and there were two VERY similar scenes where he goes back to base, gets an upgrade, and has a little flashback sequence while he's sitting down at the bonfire so the game can load in the assets for the armor he just bought.

I'm not enough of an expert in the CG stuff to comment one way or another, but I could certainly buy that it subconsciously pushes me towards 'yeah this is a game...'

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Elentor posted:

I'm almost sure the CGI artists for this show are either ex-videogame artists or trained to be.

I don't know poo poo about the finer points of CGI, but perhaps your impression might have something to do with the fact that most of the backgrounds are being rendered with the Unreal engine?

Also, I love that during the flashback sequence, they used the droid gunships from the Onderon arc in the Clone Wars series (the one where we first meet Saw Gerrera).
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/HMP_droid_gunship
EDIT: Apparently they appeared first in Episode 3. Whoops, passed right by me.

captainblastum
Dec 1, 2004

It has to be obvious to the people making the show that it's similar to a video game, but I think that in the end it's games mimicking the storytelling of films. He's going to the armorer because it provides an opportunity for character growth and context, because he can have conversations with her that he can't have with any other character. In video games, the NPCs do the same thing but players won't talk to them without a mechanical reward so they have to do that too.

There's a clear similarity to games, but it makes sense that the/a leader in the Mandalorian community would be their armorer in a way that video games rarely achieve with NPCs.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I guess the video game thing is apt, but I thought of it more as a tabletop role playing game. I’m not the only one, because my friends want me to run a Star Wars D20 game now.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

NmareBfly posted:

Yes and it's been a running joke in this thread

Keep in mind the way it's shot, they're using unreal tech on their massive OLED backgrounds. This show has literal crossover with games stuff, the director of photography even goes over the backgrounds in VR.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Nov 23, 2019

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I'm surprised we didn't get Cara Dune showing up this episode. Looks like next week.

I do like how Battlefront II and this has made the battledroids cooler. Battlefront toned down the 'roger roger' sillyness of the B1 droids and made the B2 superbattledroids threatening with their size and they only appeared in multiplayer. In this, for only a 10 second reveal (so far) the droids slaughtering civvies showed them as menacing and a real force to be reckoned with.

Elentor posted:

Part of what my brain does as a CGI programmer is looking for patterns all the time. Some of the texture transitions make me think of vertex painted transitions in videogames.

Well, the show is 'filmed' with set extensions in the Unreal engine.

So aside from a few pillars and basic walls that existed on the backlot, everything is made using videogame tools.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

Donovan Trip posted:

Yes and it's been a running joke in this thread

I kinda figured it had to be. Still, despite having 0 spoilers or outside info (I guess I knew baby yoda existed) I cottoned to it hard pretty early on and haven't been able to shake it.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dave Syndrome posted:

I don't know poo poo about the finer points of CGI, but perhaps your impression might have something to do with the fact that most of the backgrounds are being rendered with the Unreal engine?

Also, I love that during the flashback sequence, they used the droid gunships from the Onderon arc in the Clone Wars series (the one where we first meet Saw Gerrera).
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/HMP_droid_gunship
EDIT: Apparently they appeared first in Episode 3. Whoops, passed right by me.

Oh I had no idea that it was rendered in Unreal. It definitely felt at times like some of the post was a bit Unreal Enginey so I guess that makes a lot of sense.

The rendering is definitely a tell but the way real-time shaders work and how heavy Unreal is when it comes down to handling complex model force said models to be done using a video-game pipeline, like in the two examples I gave.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Yeah, the “this is a RPG/Adventure game” is basically just adventure movies/serials. Citation: Every Indiana Jones movie.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
Everyone should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

Related: unreal engine can do real time Ray tracing. There's a convergence happening where assets between Hollywood and the games industry are now being shared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ue35ago3Y

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 23, 2019

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

NowonSA posted:

Since it really looked like the kid was trying to eat it earlier, I would have totally gotten a kick out of a comedy moment with the kid immediately trying to eat it and choking on it. Could have Mando freak out for a second and then we just see the knob floating out of its mouth while the kid makes a cute face.

This is deadass what I expected to happen. When he gave him the knob, my wife and I both reflexively yelled “DONT GIVE HIM THAT.”

Noirex posted:

This ep is such a mix of :3: and cheesy Ironman/John Wick near the end
IronMandalorian. Coming to a comic con near you. Count on it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Donovan Trip posted:

Everyone should watch this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bErPsq5kPzE

Related: unreal engine can do real time Ray tracing. There's a convergence happening where assets between Hollywood and the games industry are now being shared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ue35ago3Y

This also shows the actual filming process a bit more: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voVPO8w9-x4

And this is it being used on Solo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJStVptMqlw

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 23, 2019

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
"Woah there Mandalorian, theres still plenty of Beskar left in that ingot. You take that Beskar home and throw it in a pot with some broth and a potato, baby you got yourself a stew goin!"

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Not a big Star Wars guy (I like the first two movies, cold-to-medium on basically everything else, TLJ is maybe the most miserable theater experience I've had in the past 5 years) but I love Werner Herzog and I stan Baby Yoda so I gave this a shot and I like it a lot so far. Is any of the other new Expanded Universe stuff good?

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

NmareBfly posted:

I got those vibes too but by the end of episode 3 I think we are firmly out of that loop. I wouldn’t have minded at least one more episode of bounty hunting before rushing headfirst into plot, but I understand that this is THE reason a lot of people picked up Disney+, so you gotta throw your best punch right out the gate.

Also had to rush baby Yoda out before Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS

fadam posted:

Not a big Star Wars guy (I like the first two movies, cold-to-medium on basically everything else, TLJ is maybe the most miserable theater experience I've had in the past 5 years) but I love Werner Herzog and I stan Baby Yoda so I gave this a shot and I like it a lot so far. Is any of the other new Expanded Universe stuff good?

It’s not new, but Clone Wars is good and it really fleshes out stuff between Episode 2 and 3. It’s also getting a new, final season.

Watch if you think you would like sassy Obi-wan and an actually good version of Anakin Skywalker.