Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Aronsen archives are now searchable online, including records of Nazi persecution prior to WWII.
https://arolsen-archives.org/en/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Very useful stuff, thx for the headsup!

Working on figuring out where the aforementioned wife went. After her husband died in Denmark 1814, she is said to have returned to Sweden (according to a statement her son gave to the police in 1832). But where? So I'm tracking her siblings to see where they lived, maybe she went to stay with one of them? It's kindof a long shot, but idk what else to try. Her parents were dead and she was 52 at the time.

So far I have confirmed that two sisters died in 1773 & 1805 respectively; a brother is tentatively identified though I basically only know that he was in a corporal in the cavalry, he married in 1783, and his wife died in 1807 (but that's it); and finally one sister is entirely unaccounted for.

They're surprisingly hard :niggly:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Very useful stuff, thx for the headsup!

Working on figuring out where the aforementioned wife went. After her husband died in Denmark 1814, she is said to have returned to Sweden (according to a statement her son gave to the police in 1832). But where? So I'm tracking her siblings to see where they lived, maybe she went to stay with one of them? It's kindof a long shot, but idk what else to try. Her parents were dead and she was 52 at the time.

So far I have confirmed that two sisters died in 1773 & 1805 respectively; a brother is tentatively identified though I basically only know that he was in a corporal in the cavalry, he married in 1783, and his wife died in 1807 (but that's it); and finally one sister is entirely unaccounted for.

They're surprisingly hard :niggly:

Did you check death records? She may have up and died before she had a chance to get registered anywhere.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah, as far as likely locations anyway, but it's a huge area and timespan to cover...

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Aug 20, 2021

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Any thoughts on finding someone with nothing more than “born around Barcelona in the 1800s and immigrated to the Philippines” and a somewhat common name? Lol

Ships manifests.

You can find stuff on Spain here:

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Spain_Emigration_and_Immigration

There are records for that time period online at familysearch for the Catholic Church for baptisms marriages and deaths for the Philippines though I don’t know if they’re indexed and you may have to test your Latin and/or Spanish. Marriage records may well mention the parish of birth of the bride and groom and possibly parents names.

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Philippines_Online_Genealogy_Records

Oracle fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 23, 2019

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah they all get real bad about properly mentioning women the further you get back :sigh:

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Sounds like you're doing what you can.

I make copious notes and build huge temporary family trees when I'm trying to figure out where someone is from. Remember to keep all sources handy and check back on them once in a while, maybe you missed something that clicks with a thing you found later. You never know when you hit the jackpot (or if you ever do). Check this goddamn monstrosity out, if I were to print it in full size, I'd need A2 paper lol — the green guy is my ancestor and I'm trying to figure out how/if he relates to the blue guys (who all share my guy's rare surname and have the given name that fits his patronymic, and have the correct age, ie. they fit as being his father):

(anonymized)

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Nov 23, 2019

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Welp, turns out I had misidentified the brother. It was a cousin with the same name who was in the cavalry.

But I now have access to a tree on Ancestry.se where I'm working with a woman who is researching this "clan" specifically, so maybe we can figure out together where my g5-grandma went in 1814 :)

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Welp, turns out I had misidentified the brother. It was a cousin with the same name who was in the cavalry.

But I now have access to a tree on Ancestry.se where I'm working with a woman who is researching this "clan" specifically, so maybe we can figure out together where my g5-grandma went in 1814 :)

That should help. Swedish records really are ridiculously comprehensive and if you've got an actual Swede helping out it should be possible.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

god yeah husförhörslängder are a treasure trove. I have fairly high hopes about it being possible to locate her now that I have an exact birthday and siblings to work with, even if it means waiting until they're all transcribed for the 1815–20 period in some decade to come

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ugh, familysearch keep updating their backend to foil my image-downloading script. pls just let me download the ones i want without rightclicking forever

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 20, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Krankenstyle posted:

Which of these two boys (ca. 10 years old) would you say is the young man (ca. 20 years old), if any?

Found a pic of him age 14:

Same ears again, confirming that he's for sure the first kid.

Also, for completeness sake, ages 22 and 50-ish:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well this is neat.

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/genealogy

quote:

On this free online course, you’ll develop an understanding of basic genealogy techniques and how to communicate your family history.

We do not concentrate on a specific country’s records so it should be useful to anyone around the world.

You’ll consider how to effectively find and analyse sources and explore the potential of DNA testing as applied to genealogy.

We’ll help you add historical context to your family history and discuss how to record and communicate research findings in a clear fashion.

For beginner to intermediate.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

neat! but shouldn't it be called pastlearn.com :thunk:

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well this is crazy. Genetic genealogy just discovering more and more whackadoodle edge cases.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/07/us/dna-bone-marrow-transplant-crime-lab.html

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

wasnt there a guy who tested negative for paternity and everyone freaked out until they discovered that his balls were from a chimera twin

now that i wrote it out it sounds like an urban legend. could happen in theory tho

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

wasnt there a guy who tested negative for paternity and everyone freaked out until they discovered that his balls were from a chimera twin

now that i wrote it out it sounds like an urban legend. could happen in theory tho

Happened to a woman actually, though entirely possible it’s happened to a guy as well. She was on welfare and they tested her kids and showed up as their aunt not their mom and she was threatened with arrest and her kids being taken away from her. Had to get a dr to testify about it. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydia_Fairchild

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

ohhh yeah that was it. good lord imagine being her, that must be a mindfuck

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Well this seems potentially cool. Someone built their own genealogy filter onto google search so if you use it to search for your relations it'll filter out a bunch of non-genealogy related links.

Link to the page explaining how it works

actual search page

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Gedmatch has been sold to a company in San Diego that specializes in forensic genealogy.
You can see the changes to the TOS here:
New TOS
Old TOS
Line by line changes here
When you next log in you'll see a new terms of service you need to agree to before you are allowed into the site. This is what some consider the important bits of those terms of service:

Gedmatch Terms of Service posted:

As of December 9, 2019, GEDmatch is operated by Verogen, Inc. ("Verogen") following the acquisition by Verogen of the GEDmatch website.

Verogen respects your privacy and recognizes the importance of your personal information. We are committed to protecting your information through our compliance with this Privacy Policy.

This Privacy Policy describes our practices in connection with information we may collect through your use of our website (our 'Site'). By using our Site, you consent to our collection and use of the information described in this Privacy Policy.

GEDmatch Collection and Use of Information

When you register on GEDmatch, we collect your name, an optional alias, and email address to process your registration. Once you are registered, you can provide other personal information such as your sex, Y-DNA or mtDNA haplogroup, genetic sequence/information, Genealogy data, and/or Tier1 payment information. GEDmatch will only collect your personal information if you provide it to us voluntarily. If you are located outside the United States, you consent to the storage, processing, and transfer of your personal information outside your country.

In addition, we automatically collect certain information regarding visitors to our Site, including IP address, information about your equipment, browsing actions, and usage patterns. The information we collect automatically is statistical data and does not include personal information. We use this information solely for internal purposes, such as to improve our Site.

Our Site may use third party tools to help us understand, in aggregate, the age, gender and interests of Site visitors. These tools do not reveal to GEDmatch your name or other identifying information. GEDmatch does not combine the information collected through use of these tools with personally identifiable information. The information received from these tools is used only to improve our Site and the type of information displayed to Site visitors so we can better serve those interested in GEDmatch.

GEDmatch offers you opportunities to engage in forums that are designed to be visible to other users, including comments and postings. You should be aware that any personally identifiable information you choose to submit via these forums can be read, collected, and used by other participants and could be used to send you unsolicited messages. We are not responsible for the personally identifiable information you choose to submit when you engage in such activities.

We may disclose your Raw Data, personal information, and/or Genealogy Data if it is necessary to comply with a legal obligation such as a subpoena or warrant. We will attempt to alert you to this disclosure of your Raw Data, personal information, and/or Genealogy Data, unless notification is prohibited under law.

GEDmatch's products and services are not intended for children under the age of 13. GEDmatch does not knowingly collect any information from children. If we learn that we have collected or received personal information from a child under 13 without verification of parental consent, we will delete that information.

GEDmatch purpose

GEDmatch exists to provide DNA and genealogy tools for comparison and research purposes. It is supported entirely by users, volunteers, and researchers. DNA and Genealogical research, by its very nature, requires the sharing of information. Because of that, users participating in this Site agree that their information will be shared with other users.

Raw DNA Data Provided to GEDmatch

When you upload Raw Data to GEDmatch, you agree that the Raw Data is one of the following:

Your DNA;
DNA of a person for whom you are a legal guardian;
DNA of a person who has granted you specific authorization to upload their DNA to GEDmatch;
DNA of a person known by you to be deceased;
DNA obtained and authorized by law enforcement to identify a perpetrator of a violent crime against another individual, where 'violent crime' is defined as murder, nonnegligent manslaughter, aggravated rape, robbery, or aggravated assault ;
DNA obtained and authorized by law enforcement to identify remains of a deceased individual;
An artificial DNA kit (if and only if: (1) it is intended for research purposes; and (2) it is not used to identify anyone in the GEDmatch database); or
DNA obtained from an artifact (if and only if: (1) you have a reasonable belief that the Raw Data is DNA from a previous owner or user of the artifact rather than from a living individual; and (2) that previous owner or user of the artifact is known to you to be deceased).

By registering for GEDmatch and using the Site, you agree that you will not upload Raw Data that does not satisfy one of these categories. If you have previously uploaded Raw Data that does not satisfy one of these categories, you hereby agree that you will remove it immediately.

GEDmatch will not be responsible for any Raw Data provided to GEDmatch in violation of this Policy. Violators of this Policy will have their Raw Data or other personal information deleted without warning, their access will be blocked, and/or other remedial steps may be taken, including any legal action allowed under law.

Privacy

Although you may provide a real name for registration and data upload, you have the option of providing an alias for either login or data. If an alias has been provided, it will be displayed in place of the real name along with results. If your DNA is linked to your Genealogy Data, and only one or the other uses an alias, it may be possible for users to see the real name in the linked data.

In today's world, there are real dangers of identity theft, credit fraud, etc. We try to strike a balance between these conflicting realities and the need to share information with other users. In the end, if you require absolute privacy and security, you agree that you will not provide your personal information, Raw Data, or Genealogy Data to GEDmatch. If you do not agree and you have already provided your personal information, Raw Data, or Genealogy Data, you agree to delete it immediately.
Research

We may use your data in our own research, to develop or improve applications.

DNA Data

Raw DNA data uploaded to GEDmatch.Com ('Raw Data') remains the property of the person who uploaded it. When you upload a file, a kit number will be assigned at the end of the upload process.
This number is unique to the individual DNA upload, and will be used on the pages of this Site to identify your data, including being provided to anyone that shares DNA with the Raw Data.
If you wish to contact the Site administrator regarding your data, you must provide the kit number associated with your data.
A link or other means is provided within your GEDmatch account to remove your Raw Data from the Site. Alternatively, you can request deletion of your personal information at any time
by contacting us at gedmatch@verogen.com. It is possible that an old kit number may be reassigned to another user's uploaded data in the future if you delete your Raw Data.

No means are provided on the Site to make Raw DNA or other DNA data available for download.

There are 4 classes of DNA data on this Site: 'Private', 'Research', 'Public + opt-in' and 'Public + opt-out'. You may be asked to select which category you want to be in when you upload your DNA data. If you ever want to change the category, use the pencil icon link next to the kit number on your home page.

'Private' DNA data is not available for comparisons with other people. It may be usable in some utilities that do not depend on comparisons with other DNA.

'Public + opt-in' DNA data is available for comparison to any Raw Data in the GEDmatch database using the various tools provided for that purpose.

'Public + opt-out' DNA data is available for comparison to any Raw Data in the GEDmatch database, except DNA kits identified as being uploaded for Law Enforcement purposes.

Comparison results, including your kit number, name (or alias), and email will be displayed for 'Public' kits that share DNA with the kit being used to make the comparison, except that kits identified as being uploaded for Law Enforcement purposes will only be matched with kits that have 'opted-in'.

'Research' DNA data is available for one-to-one comparison to other Public or Research DNA. It is not shown in other people's 'one-to-many' results lists. The Raw Data that you uploaded is not made available.

By default, your Raw Data is not available to any user of the Site - not even you. However, you understand that anyone with the kit number for Raw Data can perform many or all of the same GEDmatch functions with that Raw Data that the provider of that Raw Data can perform.

There may be options where you may join a 'sharing pool' which has the potential for disclosing additional information about you or your data. If you choose to join a sharing pool, you should carefully read the conditions and disclaimers associated with that sharing pool. By joining the sharing pool, you are agreeing to abide by those conditions and disclaimers.

Use of Results

The nature of genealogy research requires the exchange of information. That use must also be tempered by respect for the rights and privacy of other individuals. Anybody found to be using this Site in ways not consistent with this principle of human decency will be subject to an immediate ban with all their data removed. Examples include, but are not specifically limited to, spam mailing lists or publishing other people's results or personal information without their permission. This principle also applies to the related or non-related persons included in Genealogy Data or other data uploaded to this Site. Determination of any violation of this principle will be at the sole discretion of GEDmatch administrators.

While the results presented on this Site are intended solely for genealogical research, we are unable to guarantee that users will not find other uses, including both current and new genealogical and non-genealogical uses. For example, some of these possible uses of Raw Data, personal information, and/or Genealogy Data by any registered user of GEDmatch include but are not limited to:
Discovery of identity, even if there is an alias, unidentifiable email address, and other obscuring information;
Finding genetic matches (individuals that share DNA);
Paternity and maternity testing;
Discovery of unknown or unidentified children, parents, or siblings;
Discovery of other genetic and genealogical relatives, including both known and unknown or unexpected genetic and genealogical relatives;
Discovery of ethnic background;
Discovery of a genetic relationship between parents;
Discovery of biological sex;
Discovery of medical information or physical traits;
Obtaining an email address; and/or
Familial searching by third parties such as law enforcement agencies to identify the perpetrator of a crime, or to identify remains.

You understand that future genealogical and non-genealogical uses may be developed, including uses that GEDmatch cannot predict or foresee. If you find any of these current or future uses unacceptable, do not provide Raw Data to GEDmatch, and remove any of your Raw Data already provided to this Site. It is our policy to never provide your Genealogy Data, Raw DNA, personal information, or email address to third parties, except as noted herein.
You have the right to access the personal information that GEDmatch has collected about you. You may do the following at any time by contacting us at gedmatch@verogen.com:
Opt out of any future contacts from us;
See what information we have about you, if any;
Change, correct, or have us delete any information we have about you (including personal information, Raw Data, and Genealogy Data); and
Express any concern you have about our use of your information.
Future

We cannot predict what the future holds for DNA or genealogy research. We cannot predict what the future will be for GEDmatch. It is possible that, in the future, GEDmatch will merge with, or operations will be transferred to other individuals or entities. If that happens, the operating personnel at GEDmatch will change. GEDmatch reserves the right to provide access to your data (including Raw Data, Genealogy Data, profile information, and other personal information) to those other individuals or entities, which may include people not currently involved in GEDmatch operations. This Policy will continue to apply to the Site until you receive notification of changes to the Policy. If this possibility is not acceptable to you, you agree that you will not provide your personal information, Raw Data, or Genealogy Data to GEDmatch. If you have already provided personal information, Raw Data, or Genealogy Data, you agree to remove it from GEDmatch immediately.
Updates to This Policy

We may update the GEDmatch.Com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy at any time. We will inform you of updates by posting an announcement on the Site.
You agree to review the updated terms and policy, and by continuing to use the Site after we have posted a notice on the Site about the update, you accept the changes to the GEDmatch.Com Terms of Service and Privacy Policy.

So that's that. Between the sale, and this article from last month about how they caved to a search warrant when they really didn't need to do so I can no longer in good conscience recommend GedMatch to end users and I decided to delete my data from it rather than agree to the terms of service. Its a pity, it was a really cool idea, and I understand why the owners (in their 80s) sold. But yeah.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 10, 2019

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I'm probably going to nuke my data from there as well. It's in Ancestry and FTDNA as well though, so it's sorta already out there.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

I'm probably going to nuke my data from there as well. It's in Ancestry and FTDNA as well though, so it's sorta already out there.

FTDNA has already caved to law enforcement as well, Ancestry and 23&Me are big enough to have lawyers fight for them still I guess.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
I deleted my data there as soon as they caved to police, but I do worry about how safe that is. I don't want to have inadvertently betrayed family members.

My niece would like to do a DNA test to see if she can find any of her father's estranged relatives, so a short-term use of GEDmatch would be useful - as long as deleting really means deleting.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

I deleted my data there as soon as they caved to police, but I do worry about how safe that is. I don't want to have inadvertently betrayed family members.

My niece would like to do a DNA test to see if she can find any of her father's estranged relatives, so a short-term use of GEDmatch would be useful - as long as deleting really means deleting.

If my family members raped or murdered people, gently caress my family members. They can go to jail.

My worry is the increasing number of crimes that are subject to the DNA search. How long before abortion is murder and the database is allowed to be searched to find these horrible unborn child killers?

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Oracle posted:

If my family members raped or murdered people, gently caress my family members. They can go to jail.

But most people who get convicted or imprisoned haven't done either of those things. I don't believe the police will want to keep any restrictions on their DNA trawling.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
On one hand the kinds of crimes where DNA is all over the place are the absolute worst ones that you want...even need justice to be administered. On the other hand...cops.

It just occurred to me that a serial killer who works at a Red Cross blood bank could really go to town.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Yeah I'm sticking with paper & microfilm. Also, my unknowns are 300+ years back, so it's not like the DNA won't be real thin by now anyway.

Speaking of microfilm, I've downloaded 43 gigabytes of scans over the last month or so. It went faster in the beginning (even though I had sleep-timers in there to not clobber them too much) but then they started throttling me, so now my script can take a break and log in again by itself lol
code:
2019-12-12 01:34:12,607 -     INFO - Processing #597/777: https://...
2019-12-12 01:34:12,624 -     INFO - Fetching (51): https://...
2019-12-12 01:34:15,798 -     INFO - Sleeping for 8.64 seconds
2019-12-12 01:34:24,443 -     INFO - Processing #598/777: https://...
2019-12-12 01:34:24,444 -     INFO - Fetching (52): https://...
2019-12-12 01:34:24,850 -  WARNING - Received status code 509: Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
2019-12-12 01:34:24,850 -     INFO - Waiting for 60:10 minutes before retrying (1).
2019-12-12 02:34:34,840 -     INFO - Fetching (52): https://...
2019-12-12 02:34:36,388 -    ERROR - Error with SSO, redirecting to sign in page
2019-12-12 02:34:36,388 -     INFO - Clearing cookies
2019-12-12 02:34:36,388 -     INFO - Attempting login
2019-12-12 02:34:38,466 -     INFO - Login appears to have succeeded
2019-12-12 02:34:38,466 -    DEBUG - Using cookies: <RequestsCookieJar[...]>
2019-12-12 02:34:38,886 -     INFO - Fetching (52): https://...
2019-12-12 02:34:43,715 -     INFO - Sleeping for 5.62 seconds
2019-12-12 02:34:49,347 -     INFO - Processing #599/777: https://...
2019-12-12 02:34:49,348 -     INFO - Fetching (53): https://...
2019-12-12 02:34:51,483 -     INFO - Sleeping for 6.32 seconds

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Oh dear me posted:

But most people who get convicted or imprisoned haven't done either of those things. I don't believe the police will want to keep any restrictions on their DNA trawling.

Most people aren't convicted or imprisoned via DNA evidence, though, and in several cases DNA evidence has exonerated people on death row. See the Innocence Project. So far as I know, noone has been found to be falsely convicted via DNA evidence, and in fact cops and corrections workers have been found to have been guilty of rapes and murders through DNA evidence (see here).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krispy Wafer posted:

On one hand the kinds of crimes where DNA is all over the place are the absolute worst ones that you want...even need justice to be administered. On the other hand...cops.

It just occurred to me that a serial killer who works at a Red Cross blood bank could really go to town.

They aren't just convicted on DNA evidence alone, though, they also have to have been proven to have been in the area, not have an alibi etc etc. I think they actually cleared one guy who was an identical twin this way (and caught his brother). Yeah, here.

Oracle fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 12, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

Yeah I'm sticking with paper & microfilm. Also, my unknowns are 300+ years back, so it's not like the DNA won't be real thin by now anyway.
This is exactly what you can use DNA to track down, though! I've found relatives with a MRCA (most recent common ancestor) back this far and further via DNA. They've also used DNA to verify the body of Richard III when they found his skeleton under a parking lot in Britian and the direct descendant of the oldest known modern Briton.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Oracle posted:

Most people aren't convicted or imprisoned via DNA evidence, though

Yet. Mass DNA testing and cop use of genealogy sites is pretty new, so that's not surprising.

Almost everyone I care about is a left wing and/or environmental activist. Cops are not our friends and I don't want to give them a single molecule more power.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Yakiniku Teishoku fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 20, 2021

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Oracle posted:

This is exactly what you can use DNA to track down, though! I've found relatives with a MRCA (most recent common ancestor) back this far and further via DNA. They've also used DNA to verify the body of Richard III when they found his skeleton under a parking lot in Britian and the direct descendant of the oldest known modern Briton.

True, but I'm interested in the directly documentable connections, not only a notion of relatedness/common ancestor. So for it to make sense for me, there'd still need to be some kind of paper trail to explain a given DNA match, and if there wasn't I'd probably be driven mad by knowing the connection was so close but still impossible to grasp.

It would have been interesting to verify that my patrilineal great 5th grandfather is the son of my great 6th. It's not an "unknown" per se; the reason I'm slightly uncertain about the relationship is that my great 5th shows up near Roskilde in 1799, and the son of my great 6th "disappears" in Copenhagen in 1791 and I haven't found the definite proof that these two are the same person (everything fits like a glove, though). However, as he was the only son, there aren't any other male lines from his father to use for DNA-confirmation. That he is the only son is confirmed by probate, so there would have to be an undocumented son which brings me back to my original lament...

Carthag Tuek fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Dec 13, 2019

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Krankenstyle posted:

True, but I'm interested in the directly documentable connections, not only a notion of relatedness/common ancestor. So for it to make sense for me, there'd still need to be some kind of paper trail to explain a given DNA match, and if there wasn't I'd probably be driven mad by knowing the connection was so close but still impossible to grasp.

It would have been interesting to verify that my patrilineal great 5th grandfather is the son of my great 6th. It's not an "unknown" per se; the reason I'm slightly uncertain about the relationship is that my great 5th shows up near Roskilde in 1799, and the son of my great 6th "disappears" in Copenhagen in 1791 and I haven't found the definite proof that these two are the same person (everything fits like a glove, though). However, as he was the only son, there aren't any other male lines from his father to use for DNA-confirmation. That he is the only son is confirmed by probate, so there would have to be an undocumented son which brings me back to my original lament...

Yeah its one of those 'both would be great if I can get them' situations but in a lot of cases there's just not documentation to be had (see Yakiniku Teishoku's post about records destroyed in the war). I run into that a LOT on my paternal German side because they hail from Pomerania which has been fought over for freakin' centuries and WWII did a number on the area and what the bombs didn't get the Russians did. And given that my 2nd great-grandfather was illegitimate and all those church records were lost in the war as far as anyone knows DNA is basically it for me to figure out who the heck his dad was. Ditto my illegit 2nd great-grandfather on my Swedish side. There I have tons of records but noone's talking in any of them about who the dad might be. I have hints and clues (the mom seems to have deliberately named the kid after the dad in traditional Swedish patronymic and one of his baptismal sponsors was a sister of the man she eventually married who never adopted him or legally recognized him as his own, and since 2ggf shared a name with his stepdad's brother who was married at the time of his conception I have a feeling it was said stepdad's brother who was the dad, but that's just a guess) DNA is going to be the only way I untangle that barring some miracle court record popping up that has her suing someone for paternity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Ya so far I've been pretty lucky with solid records and haven't really had any need for DNA. I would probably feel different if circumstances were otherwise.

I still have my Alsatian (lol) ancestor who was a volunteer in the Danish army in the mid-1700s whose precise origins I'd love to figure out, but as with yours, it's a very contested area and also it's huge. While Bas-Rhin has had their registres paroissiaux online for a while, it seems that Haut-Rhin are starting coming online too so that's cool (though last I checked, they were in the Zs, but only the Zs :confused:).

Re your illegitimate Swede: In Denmark, a man could "lyse sit uægte barn i kuld og køn" (declare fatherhood of their illegitimate child), which gave the child legal rights as an heir etc. This was done in public at the thing, and would be recorded in the tingbøger. The Swedes had and have a very similar justice system (except their thing-proceedings are called domböcker), so I assume they had a similar type of declaration. Tingbøger/domböcker would also record civil grievances including paternity suits. ArkivDigital is digitizing these on an ongoing basis (and you can request a volume to be bumped in the queue for something like 200 SEK).

Finally, until 1813, lens-/amtsregnskaber (fief/county accountings) in Denmark contain affidavits from priests regarding fines for lejermål (extramarital sex) which mention the parents but rarely the child (since whether it was even born wasn't important in those cases), though I'm not sure what the Swedish laws were regarding that.

Also, did I mention that my genealogical society is paying for an ArkivDigital membership for me? It's so I can provide lookups for my fellow members but I could do some sub rosa lookups for you if you remind me what you're looking for.