Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

It rather looks awful, but that's just me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
It's consumer grade DV cam footage transferred to 35mm, so the quality will still vary a little bit, depending on the scan. The difference in quality between the DVD and the non US BluRay release isn't revelatory, but it's noticeable.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Joking aside, there's way better processing tools available now that would enable the MiniDV to be upscaled to HD than there was 15 years ago.

Here's caps from Criterion's DVD of Hoop Dreams from 2005 and their Blu-ray from 2015:

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
For anyone enjoying the Godzilla set, I'd highly recommend the Japanese kaiju TV show from the 60's Ultra Q, released recently on blu-ray. It was shot on 35mm black-and-white and has received a Criterion-level restoration. The series was created by Eiji Tsuburaya, the genius behind the special effects of Godzilla, Mothra, and more. I am floored by how great this show looks, and by how thoroughly I am enjoying it. The episodes are concise and breezy and boast some of the best man-in-suit work I've ever seen.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 19, 2019

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

codyclarke posted:

For anyone enjoying the Godzilla set, I'd highly recommend the Japanese kaiju TV show form the 60's Ultra Q, released recently on blu-ray. It was shot on 35mm black-and-white and has received a Criterion-level restoration. The series was created by Eiji Tsuburaya, the genius behind the special effects of Godzilla, Mothra, and more. I am floored by how great this show looks, and by how thoroughly I am enjoying it. The episodes are concise and breezy and boast some of the best man-in-suit work I've ever seen.

Thanks for this recommendation, looks neat :)

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.

Gripweed posted:

For All Mankind is bad?

No, it's not just alright. It's FANTASTIC.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

codyclarke posted:

For anyone enjoying the Godzilla set, I'd highly recommend the Japanese kaiju TV show form the 60's Ultra Q, released recently on blu-ray. It was shot on 35mm black-and-white and has received a Criterion-level restoration. The series was created by Eiji Tsuburaya, the genius behind the special effects of Godzilla, Mothra, and more. I am floored by how great this show looks, and by how thoroughly I am enjoying it. The episodes are concise and breezy and boast some of the best man-in-suit work I've ever seen.

I really need to get on that. I've been wanting to give the Ultraman franchise a chance and now that they're doing the blurays I don't have an excuse not to.

bear named tators posted:

No, it's not just alright. It's FANTASTIC.

I usually have trouble getting into that style of documentary that's just archival footage and audio without a narrator or anything. And I'd seen most of that footage already. It's a good movie but it's not really up my bag.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I watched Breathless. Wasn't crazy about it. That's my second Godard movie I didn't like so I guess I'm not a Godard fan.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Gripweed posted:

I watched Breathless. Wasn't crazy about it. That's my second Godard movie I didn't like so I guess I'm not a Godard fan.

I enjoyed Band of Outsiders but everything else I've seen from him has basically irritated me. I know "pretentious" is a loaded term when you're talking about art films but I'd say that applies to him for sure (and Antonioni). Week End is one of the few Criterions in my 100+ collection I have regrets over. I thought a movie featuring cannibalism and the collapse of society would be fun but I guessed wrong. Should have bought Weekend instead.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Gripweed posted:

Godard never really clicked with me either. I get why he is important and influential, but I haven't actually enjoyed any of his films.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

gey muckle mowser posted:

Godard never really clicked with me either. I get why he is important and influential, but I haven't actually enjoyed any of his films.

Same. Also Antonioni and a lot of Bergman, but for very different reasons.

Tie the ribbon of shame upon me. :suicide:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Weekend is amazing and everyone should watch it. It’s mean and hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like Vivre Sa Vie, Week End and Breathless but otherwise I agree. Pierrot le Fou was especially bad for this.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Yeah, Weekend is great. I like Alphaville too. That's about it.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Escobarbarian posted:

I like Vivre Sa Vie, Week End and Breathless but otherwise I agree. Pierrot le Fou was especially bad for this.

I really dislike Godard (and most French new wave tbh) but seeing the machine gun cut in Vivre Sa Vie made me go "whoa" in the screening room. Shame about the rest of it though.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Origami Dali posted:

Yeah, Weekend is great. I like Alphaville too. That's about it.

forgot about Alphaville, I did like that one. Weekend is one I've never seen, I should probably check it out and give it a chance.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
I really think Jacques Demy did French New Wave better with Lola and Bay of Angels than a lot of the other masters of the genre.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Who the gently caress at Criterion loves those stupid little folders that don't loving work.

My Godzilla blu-ray is hosed up with glue because of the lovely design of that set. Seriously. Standard cases. They work wonders! Why can't they do this? Why do they have to be clever? The same thing happened with my Zatoichi set! For the money I'm spending on this, they could easily make sure that I don't get broken discs.

The folders don't work. They just lead to discs getting broken.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001
I've been having a really frustrating experience with the Android app for the Criterion Channel-- as in, it doesn't work on my Samsung tablet due to the DRM implementation they are using. The specs of my tablet exceed the minimums required for the app, but no videos will play. I've been in a hell loop with support, and you'd figure Vimeo would have smart people working there, but they are just giving me complete nonsense replies (example: my tablet is Widevine L1 certified and HDCP v2.2 compatible, and the support tech says that's the reason it doesn't work, because they "enforce" Widevine L3 + HDCP v1).

I've been looking around and it seems like other people have been having this same problem as far back as May, so I feel like the chances of the engineering team fixing this bug are pretty much zero. Sucks that I paid for the full year up front, as my main time to watch the channel was going to be the 5ish hours a week I'm on the treadmill.

Is anyone here running the Android app successfully on a relatively affordable tablet? If so, which model? I may be willing to buy a new tablet and give this one to my kid or something.

bear named tators
Dec 16, 2006

.:.::HONKIN A POTATO::.:.
How has there been all this Godard talk without a mention of Contempt? GOAT.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

bear named tators posted:

How has there been all this Godard talk without a mention of Contempt? GOAT.
Yeah, Contempt is excellent. As far as Godard's more mainstream stuff goes Every Man for Himself is real good too.

I think Histoire(s) du Cinema is the Godard thing that's left the biggest impression on me though, even if I still don't quite understand it.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Just had my Godzilla Collection order cancelled by B&N. Cool.

Cool cool cool cool.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Bottle Rocket is distractingly half-formed Wes Anderson. The shots, the use of music, the dialogue, the costumes, it's constantly almost a Wes Anderson movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Valley of the Dolls needs more montages.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Picked up Now, Voyager today. If you love golden age Hollywood, this is a must-have. Great film and the new 4K remaster looks otherworldly. Taken directly from the nitrate camera negative, with some fill-ins from an original nitrate fine-grain positive (ultra high quality positive made from the camera negative, usually before any theatrical prints are made).

All About Eve is also highly recommended if you don't already have the Fox edition. Great film, though it's the exact same 4K master used for Fox's edition and has most of that edition's extras plus a few new ones (mainly some more Dick Cavett episodes and a feature-length doc on Joseph L. Mankiewicz).

Also, looks like The Great Escape is coming, per today's newsletter clue. It's been rumored for a while and was a laserdisc release years ago.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That “Grate S-Cape” pun was infuriating haha

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Escobarbarian posted:

That “Grate S-Cape” pun was infuriating haha

Still not as bad as "Ill sore possum" (Il Sorpasso)

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Finally upgraded my ancient DVDs of Brazil and The Royal Tenenbaums. The blu-rays look Fantastic.

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Gripweed posted:

Valley of the Dolls needs more montages.

And Beyond the Valley of the Dolls needs more homicidal transvestites.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Was The Shape of Water ever teased for a Criterion? I have some vague recollections, but could be making it up.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
The Barnes and Noble 15% off Cyber Monday coupon (cyber15) works with the Criterion sale.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

I, Butthole posted:

The Barnes and Noble 15% off Cyber Monday coupon (cyber15) works with the Criterion sale.

The sale is over though?

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT

Origami Dali posted:

The sale is over though?

I went and added Cold War to my cart and it was 19.99 still, and 16.99 after the discount sooooo ????

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I think the sale ends on the 3rd

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

This is what I've ended up gettting so far:
Polyester
Vampyr
Carnival of Souls
Godzilla set

Gonna be a good time with these movies.

By the end of November, I ended up with these and
The Royal Tenenbaums
Safety Last!
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Female Trouble
Brazil
Moonrise Kingdom
Trilogía de Guillermo del Toro

and all of them have been great! Female Trouble was incredible.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
I'm psyching myself up to watch Andrei Rublev. Do I go for the 185 minute or 205 minute cut?

I also finished working my way through the BBS boxset. Even if I didn't enjoy a few of the films, they were mostly interesting at least.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007
I watched this for the 1st time recently and went with the shorter version, it's Tarkovsky's preferred cut. Also, this may not be a huge deal to some, but I watched one fairly lengthy scene from the longer version and the only additional stuff was some pretty awful (real) animal cruelty, like setting cows on fire, was not a fan of that at all. Great film though!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I, Butthole posted:

I'm psyching myself up to watch Andrei Rublev. Do I go for the 185 minute or 205 minute cut?

I also finished working my way through the BBS boxset. Even if I didn't enjoy a few of the films, they were mostly interesting at least.

AR is my favorite film and without a doubt the 205 minute cut is the better version of the film, but the subtitles are burned in and the elements are a bit rough. The 185 minute cut is censored in numerous ways but looks really nice.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

I prefer the 205 minute version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

I DEMAND IT
Still haven't gotten around to Rublev, but it's on the cards for this week.

Managed to convince my fiancee to watch Polyester with me. She almost threw up at number 2 on the Odorama card. It was great.