Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

Caesar Saladin posted:

I still find his brand of immature weird perversion less offputting than the market researched fantasy girlfriend simulators in bioware games

What do you mean? How can you find people substituting video game characters for substantive human interactions creepy? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a very important date to attend to. In Mass Effect 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

DildenAnders posted:

What do you mean? How can you find people substituting video game characters for substantive human interactions creepy? Now, if you'll excuse me, I have a very important date to attend to. In Mass Effect 1.

There's a lot of cases of Western games that are only considered somehow different from Japanese ones because they are obviously inspired by and pander to a slightly different selection of creepy fetishes with a slightly different framing device as an excuse.

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

Goon voice: I don’t like looking at boobs!!!

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
i like looking at pretty people in video games. if they're naked sometimes then that's a plus

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
I’m fine with naked women in games, I just wish there would be more naked men to follow!

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

StabMasterArson posted:

Wow, strong disagree here!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

StarMinstrel posted:

I’m fine with naked women in games, I just wish there would be more naked men to follow!

There's a whole market of games made for ladies but they mostly seem to be dating sims/romantic vns. The man slut stuff seems to be primarily aimed at gay men. I come from a Latino/Italian background so I personally don't mind sexually charged fiction. That said, I find stuff that sells on just sex appeal to be kind of patronizing

StabMasterArson
May 31, 2011

StarMinstrel posted:

Ironically enough, Death Stranding might be the game for you

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Liking sexual stuff in video games is like one notch above liking hentai.

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

StabMasterArson posted:

olives black posted:

i like looking at pretty people in video games. if they're naked sometimes then that's a plus

I feel like some of you are missing the point.

Remember when Duke Nukem Forever released and those gaming articles were written about Duke being problematic with it's portrayal of women? Or, IIRC, DOA Volleyball was catching flak for being a game about women in skimpy bikinis playing volleyball?

Those games are "fine", they are what they are and are unapologetic about it, and don't feel like some secret pervert's fetish like the MGS games do (maybe there's something wrong with DOA since it's by Temco but the face value concept is "fine".)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

YagotmeIdidit posted:

I feel like some of you are missing the point.

Remember when Duke Nukem Forever released and those gaming articles were written about Duke being problematic with it's portrayal of women? Or, IIRC, DOA Volleyball was catching flak for being a game about women in skimpy bikinis playing volleyball?

Those games are "fine", they are what they are and are unapologetic about it, and don't feel like some secret pervert's fetish like the MGS games do (maybe there's something wrong with DOA since it's by Temco but the face value concept is "fine".)

You must have missed the part in Duke Nukem Forever where women are getting raped by aliens and Duke's just like "ah well whatever".

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

alexandriao posted:

You must have missed the part in Duke Nukem Forever where women are getting raped by aliens and Duke's just like "ah well whatever".

But you see the game is upfront about how terrible it is, and that means it’s better somehow.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

alexandriao posted:

:eyepop:

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Agreed.

Tbh I don't give a flying gently caress if a game is kind of pervy if it's got a charm to it. I don't get why people freak out about that poo poo so much now at all. it's just awful when it's terribly done. Like, last gen western RPGs were horrible about that poo poo, and Anime games that just slam you in the face with titties to try and sell some junky product are the worst, but if a game wants to be kind of pervy and is fun about it, go for it imo.

Depends on what you mean by handled well? She was a cool character but she still had her tits hanging out for a good chunk of the game. Which is fine with me, but it's still kind of funny and she's one of the prime examples of MGS women who don't button their shirts lol.

People "freak out" about that poo poo more now because there's a huge misogynist racist in the white house and people are sick of it being everywhere. The whole "it doesn't matter it's just game" turns out to be dumb and wrong. Humans are affected by the media they consume and so maybe if we have less of it in games, we'd have less of it in the real world.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 23, 2019

YagotmeIdidit
Jan 10, 2018

alexandriao posted:

I've only played the demo tbh. (Though I do recall the ones in Duke 3D which was hosed up, didn't realise they did it again Duke Nukem Forever.)

Dewgy posted:

But you see the game is upfront about how terrible it is, and that means it's better somehow.

Don't twist my words man. Duke Nukem and the like, are what they are: titties + guns/swords/martial arts (hopefully without any rape element). MGS Peace Walker has Naked Snake, a middle-aged man, go on a date with Paz, who looks 15 at most, where you can push R to have Snake touch Paz's chest. (The game pulls the "1000-year old soul" anime trope where you find out that Paz is older than she looks).

Are you trying to trip me up for not being careful with my words or just defending japanese games with pervy "humour"? I'll put my hand up for not realising that DNF had aliens raping women but don't twist my words.

YagotmeIdidit fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Nov 23, 2019

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.
Watching Civvie 11's new video on Dark Forces and it's just as lovely as I remember it being. No saves or checkpoints in a goddamn FPS? gently caress you Lucasarts.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Dewgy posted:

But you see the game is upfront about how terrible it is, and that means it’s better somehow.

I forgot to mention this is like half an hour after he says "Nobody steals my girls and gets away with it" and then he finds em and is like "oh well whatever"

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

YagotmeIdidit posted:

I've only played the demo tbh. (Though I do recall the ones in Duke 3D which was hosed up, didn't realise they did it again Duke Nukem Forever.)

Don't twist my words man. Duke Nukem and the like, are what they are: titties + guns/swords/martial arts (hopefully without any rape element). MGS Peace Walker has Naked Snake, a middle-aged man, go on a date with Paz, who looks 15 at most, where you can push R to have Snake touch Paz's chest. (The game pulls the "1000-year old soul" anime trope where you find out that Paz is older than she looks).

Are you trying to trip me up for not being careful with my words or just defending japanese games with pervy "humour"? I'll put my hand up for not realising that DNF had aliens raping women but don't twist my words.

You’re right, I regret my words and deeds.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

alexandriao posted:

I forgot to mention this is like half an hour after he says "Nobody steals my girls and gets away with it" and then he finds em and is like "oh well whatever"

Now that a different race species has penetrated them they've become worthless

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Duck and Cover posted:

People "freak out" about that poo poo more now because there's a huge misogynist racist in the white house and people are sick of it being everywhere. The whole "it doesn't matter it's just game" turns out to be dumb and wrong. Humans are affected by the media they consume and so maybe if we have less of it in games, we'd have less of it in the real world.

Nah it's just a bunch of whiny nerds trying to make their dumb hobby look more serious. Lol this poo poo has nothing to do with Trump, what a massive deflection. Also good job arguing for censorship :downs: maybe next we can talk about how mass shooting are also because of games and how violent games should be banned.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

veni veni veni posted:

Nah it's just a bunch of whiny nerds trying to make their dumb hobby look more serious. Lol this poo poo has nothing to do with Trump, what a massive deflection. Also good job arguing for censorship :downs: maybe next we can talk about how mass shooting are also because of games and how violent games should be banned.

i agree, lets get some tentacle rape in our games for freedom

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Duck and Cover posted:

I like the videogames where shooting someone in the nuts counts as a headshot.

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

veni veni veni posted:

New unpopular opinion. Whiny nerds that think that games being more like shlocky hollwyood blockbusters matures the medium don't understand videogames. (There's still a place for story heavy and cinematic games. Don't hurt me).

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

ChazTurbo posted:

honestly I never thought about it much but now I hate all games where you can't do this

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

veni veni veni posted:

If it will keep people from making cringey lame rear end sex scenes in video games then I will vote for Big Brother myself.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

:rip: muscle march. too pervy for this world. Thanks trump

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hcElGydzb8

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Good. Looks stupid.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

ChazTurbo posted:

(There's still a place for story heavy and cinematic games

Wrong!

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014
Devs and publishers need to stop wasting money getting famous people to be scanned and voiced in their games. I don't think most people give a poo poo and I've honestly seen better performances by complete unknowns. Also I'm sick of troy baker.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Troy Baker being in every game really is getting old as hell. He’s a good VA and everything but agreed I’m just totally sick of him due to overexposure.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

GTA San Andreas probably has the best use of celebrity voices in any video game. There are just so amny of them and they're pretty good, notably Samuel L Jackson. David Cross's missions as the RC toy store owner were hilarious and some of the toughest in the game.

Also I really liked the actor they got for the main character in LA Noire.

Speaking of which, another of my unpopular gaming opinions is that I loved LA Noire. I mean, I was recovering from a long stay at the hospital at the time so I could have thought anything was fun but I enjoyed it, and I'm sad it never got a sequel to try to polish it up.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ChazTurbo posted:

Devs and publishers need to stop wasting money getting famous people to be scanned and voiced in their games. I don't think most people give a poo poo and I've honestly seen better performances by complete unknowns. Also I'm sick of troy baker.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

otoh disco elysium is real good

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

PinheadSlim posted:

Speaking of which, another of my unpopular gaming opinions is that I loved LA Noire. I mean, I was recovering from a long stay at the hospital at the time so I could have thought anything was fun but I enjoyed it, and I'm sad it never got a sequel to try to polish it up.

Yeah powerful drugs is probably what it would take to make LA Noire seem fun

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

ChazTurbo posted:

you fool. the void left by the famous actors will only be filled with more troy baker.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

veni veni veni posted:

Someone suggesting "hey maybe have more reasonably dressed proportioned female characters?" Isn't loving censorship, for individuals to not support bad behavior and speak out. You want to pretend ohhh but but but but it's a game! Yeah it is, and guess what maybe it's a good thing to have broader more accurate representations of people in them. Wait I said maybe. It is it is a good thing and if you're actively fighting against it your a piece of poo poo.

As far as Trump/Brett Kavenaugh/Matt Lauer/Harvey Weinstein etc. goes that definitely does have something to do with the increase of people not tolerating sexism and being vocal about it. The more visible something is and the more acceptable it is to actually say something the more people will say something. If only people would just shutup and let me play my video games!

I mean sure you'll continue to pretend it's those "nerds" who want it and that's just unreasonable of those "nerds". If I can't get my jiggly animated tits then censorship has won! You can still get them, but don't be shocked when a segment goes "hmmm maybe that's not for me, maybe games should have less of that".

ChazTurbo posted:

That's just not realistic though! My brain is in my head, not my scrotum. At least I think that's the case.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Nov 24, 2019

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i don't think japanese creators should be less horny because your country is insanely evil and racist, personally.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
May we all be more like the Glorious Nippon, well known for being not racist and not evil

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

May we all be more like the Glorious Nippon, well known for being not racist and not evil

it's obviously quite conservative and racist, but not "cops routinely murder black children on camera and get away with it" racist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

This threads about to get even dumber, isn't it?