Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Quantum erases the difference between real and simulated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is just a series of "We'd like to do this but have no idea how it's going to actually work inside the game" like always

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

He looks so happy

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

BRB pooping posted:

Isnt this exactly the backgroundsim of Elite?

It's just a really basic, single colour version of what Elite does yeah.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

*Factory uses resources to make stuff*
*wild applause*

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
This is incomprehensibly boring and basic lol

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
But why are they still buying aluminum if they are waiting for the other materials? Why Tony? Why do they do that Tony?

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Quantum erases the difference between real and simulated.

Nah, you see - we don't understand how quantum mechanics magically makes things work in the real universe, so therefore if they throw the word quantum randomly at their lovely-rear end code, it will magically work, too.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
There's a reason they made the map view so snazzy. The actual mechanics of what's going on is incredibly basic

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

TZ: Do you want us to hurry up or keep going?
Crowd: KEEP GOING!

AngusPodgorny
Jun 3, 2004

Please to be restful, it is only a puffin that has from the puffin place outbroken.
It's good to know that there's a complex, realistic simulation running in the background to explain why there's one npc in the universe that wants to buy illicit drugs or whatever, once every ten minutes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SelenicMartian posted:

They're showing a basic-level economic strategy game, in animations and org charts.

Let's watch the aluminum.

Seriously why are they building a basic-rear end 4X game ?

Why does any of this need to exist? Aren't the players supposed to drive the economy?

And again, this is just basic rear end poo poo any videogame would do as part of their gameplay, but CIG expects to get applause for it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

*overproduces in fake economy*
As you see, the price is starting to fall off!
*applause*

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Star Citizen: All our prices are Elastic (in-game)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

trucutru posted:

That's the scam. What he's explaining is super basic poo poo. The sort of things you would find in 90s space trucking simulators because it only takes a fraction of a floppy to have the code for that sort of simulation.

Seriously this poo poo was probably in the original Elite on like loving Amiga computers

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

drat it, where's Chris Roberts

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

WTF was that baghead costume? At first I thought a goon did a photoshop or something and then I realized it was for real!

Where is the crobo keynote?

I am already on chapter 8: on a rail in HL1. :)

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 23, 2019

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I want mumbling God drat it

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Those lights are strip-lights that you stick on the back of your tv for ambience,no expense spared.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
oh good I remembered it's citcon just in time for the keyn- what the gently caress is this?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Star Clicker
Cookie Citizen

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

skeletors_condom posted:

WTF was that baghead costume? At first I thought a goon did a photoshop or something and then I realized it was for real?

Where is the crobo keynote?

I am already on chapter 8: on a rail in HL1. :)

My favorite part of baghead is you can see his beard sticking out of the bottom of the bag, kinda defeating the entire point of having a helmet

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

TZ: Do you want us to hurry up or keep going?
Crowd: KEEP GOING!

It was like 5 people who said "KEEP GOING" as no-one else was listening.
Same logic as their expanded game scope poll that 200 people (mostly CIG employees) voted on. THE MAJORITY OF PEOPLE WHO RESPONDED TO THIS OBSCURE QUESTION WE DID NOT PUBLICISE ANYWHERE HAVE SPOKEN.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

This is some serious nerd padding

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

Something is obviously hosed with their keynote that they're trying to get fixed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

How the gently caress is the economy demo still going on

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

trucutru posted:

That's the scam. What he's explaining is super basic poo poo. The sort of things you would find in 90s space trucking simulators because it only takes a fraction of a floppy to have the code for that sort of simulation.

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have called it "complex". But I still can't see them getting it to work when the use actual Star Citizen NPC's and ships rather then little 2D icons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

"so you see, they skyrocketed on one and plummeted on the other"

*charts do not remotely reflect that*

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the aluminum factory just fired all their workers

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They're stalling to unfuck the second half of the mission they started showing hours ago.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Bumble He posted:

the aluminum factory just fired all their workers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0mO6UY6uTg&t=13s

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate
Lots of full subs talking about how awesome this is while rest of chat is yawn.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
He keeps saying "complicated" as if he can speak it into being

What about this is even a little bit complicated lol

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Is their cute little visualisation of a bunch of changing integers seriously lagging? rofl

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Viscous Soda posted:

Yeah, I probably shouldn't have called it "complex". But I still can't see them getting it to work when the use actual Star Citizen NPC's and ships rather then little 2D icons.

That's been already explained. Nothing actually exists in the game itself but, when a player is flying they roll a dice to see if they should generate from thin air some ships/pirates/whatever based on the what their economy simulation says is happening there.

Which is also standard loving procedure in all those other games.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i love this film

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

WTF are they talking about right now?

Looks some random graphs and made up techno-babble...

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Enchanted Hat posted:

Is their cute little visualisation of a bunch of changing integers seriously lagging? rofl

omg yes

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
CIG, seriously, I can code a much better economic simulation in one month and even have different colors for different commodities to wow the imbeciles.

I have coded more impressive fake bullshit to fool real experts at actual ACM conferences.

Hire me you hacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

why don't the planets orbit?