Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

cba uploading such a small clip to Youtube as well so have a shameless self tweet share
https://twitter.com/NinpoUK/status/1198314835781529601

The tweet I shared earlier that's now gone was a joke that I've honestly now forgotten, wasn't anything important.
Ah, the Rush Limbaugh position.

Endjinneer posted:

15% of your methane gas replaced with hydrogen is a step forwards, sure, but your piss->hydrogen process always takes more energy in as electricity than it gives out as hydrogen. Just leaving the electricity as electricity and giving everyone an induction hob is a far more efficient solution which doesn't involve huge changes to the gas distribution network, pioneering entirely new industrial processes and the systematic collection of every last drop of urine excreted in the UK.

Setting space heating aside (taking it as read that we're going to do something meaningful about the ghastly energy efficiency of UK housing stock) the other big reason for a domestic gas supply is to allow abundant hot water. I'm trying to design a house without a gas supply at the moment but I hate electric showers. The best solution seems to be to have an economy7 meter and heat a tank of water up between 2am and 6am. You get your hot water, any heat leakages warm the house up and it helps load balancing on the grid by using power when there's least demand.
That's the case for any storage solution though. The time that your wind power is going to be generating hydrogen isn't 6pm when all the new builds have their induction hobs and heatpumps running, it's going to be overnight. Any other solution, like pumping water from one reservoir to another, or stacking massive concrete blocks with an Elon Musk robocrane, is also going to give less energy out at 7am the following morning when everyone starts making breakfast. The principle advantage of hydrogen is that it can (to a certain percentage) utilize the existing natural gas network, reducing fossil fuel use for all those older households doing it by gas.

Mass rollout of biogas could potentially supply up to 40% of the UK market if we really stepped up to the plate and threw all farm and food waste at anaerobic biodigesters, so that extra 15% is still important, alongside alternatives to gas for newbuilds, boiler buyback programs, and other measures to reduce gas consumption. Any other method is going to restrict the millions of households currently reliant on the gas network.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Gwaint posted:

So as I'm looking to do my bit but have never done anything like this before and am therefore terrified of screwing up:

1) Do you need to wait for your Labour welcome pack/card thingy before you can start helping out like canvassing? I don't have mine yet - I do have an email from Corbyn welcoming me to the Labour Party, which I could use to show SOME sort of verification, I suppose

2) I've received an email asking if I can be present for a call at 7pm on Monday with a number of people to talk about Labour's Green Revolution. There's going to be somebody from the Guardian present in the call as well. Has anyone done calls like these - how do they usually go, and what sort of things do you usually do/say in these calls? Am I there just to be 'present' to show support behind Labour, or are they going to ask me to talk about policies or other complicated things?

3) During the few times I've tried to talk a little bit about Labour to those in my immediate circle, I've found myself running out of arguments quickly to help reinforce my points, leaving the other person unmoved. Should I do my best to memorize the manifesto? (Answer's probably yes on this one, I think - also wondering what else I can read up on) - I dunno, I don't feel I'm that great at helping convince other people. What else can I read up on to help me in this?

I WANT to help and do my bit. But the last thing I want to do is make a mistake and not help the cause.

Don't worry. You don't need the welcome pack. Find out when people are canvassing, get out to join them and ask if you can shadow somebody more experienced for a bit. They'll be fine with it.
You'll pick up talking points and see how people deal with different topics on the doorstep, and you can take those arguments back to conversations in your circle of friends. I wouldn't bother learning the manifesto cover to cover, you'll be far more convincing if you talk in general terms about how the policies make things better for whoever you're talking to, unless they're a millionaire.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

Gwaint posted:

3) During the few times I've tried to talk a little bit about Labour to those in my immediate circle, I've found myself running out of arguments quickly to help reinforce my points, leaving the other person unmoved. Should I do my best to memorize the manifesto? (Answer's probably yes on this one, I think - also wondering what else I can read up on) - I dunno, I don't feel I'm that great at helping convince other people. What else can I read up on to help me in this?

so momentum has been doing training for this exact specific situation, called "persuasive conversation" training. i don't know if it's too late to apply if you're interested (see https://momentum.nationbuilder.com/activist_training) but you want to shadow generally before you start door knocking, and any argument is much easier once heard.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Gwaint posted:

So as I'm looking to do my bit but have never done anything like this before and am therefore terrified of screwing up:

1) Do you need to wait for your Labour welcome pack/card thingy before you can start helping out like canvassing? I don't have mine yet - I do have an email from Corbyn welcoming me to the Labour Party, which I could use to show SOME sort of verification, I suppose

2) I've received an email asking if I can be present for a call at 7pm on Monday with a number of people to talk about Labour's Green Revolution. There's going to be somebody from the Guardian present in the call as well. Has anyone done calls like these - how do they usually go, and what sort of things do you usually do/say in these calls? Am I there just to be 'present' to show support behind Labour, or are they going to ask me to talk about policies or other complicated things?

I WANT to help and do my bit. But the last thing I want to do is make a mistake and not help the cause.
1) Not as far as I know. They haven't asked for verification in my experience, and you can probably just say it's coming if they ask; depending on where you are either you'll be another of a large number of volunteers or desperately needed so they won't be fussed.

2) That's an email to everyone; from previous call experience there's no direct participation other than in the text chat where they might ask for questions / comments. So no obligatory participation. It'll just be them explaining stuff.

3) An extra person is generally useful, regardless of experience. If we're talking doorstep, to start with you'll be paired with someone else who'll show how it's done. It'd be a good idea to remember just a few big policies that might be relevant, no-one's going to quiz you on the precise details and if they do you can hand off to someone more experienced, ideally the candidate. Labour do "training calls" where they explain how to do stuff like canvassing - checks their Events page. By and large it's just being a friendly face on the doorstep that they can unload on, it's the fact that someone checked in from Labour and asked about their local issues that makes the difference especially if no other party is visibly active where you are. Again, if you experience problems, just hand off to more experienced canvasser. You could also volunteer for leaflet delivery or backroom work if there's any available - don't need to remember the policies then.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Some people really are unhinged when it comes to Momentum. I've seen a few comments now that say they're a cult like Scientology.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider

RockyB posted:

E: Stop engaging with ronya mate. It's like screaming at a brick wall with a particularly pretentious beret perched on it.

Nah, I can assure you it's more enjoyable than that :D

I think it's important to call out disingenuous bullshit. It makes the thread a better place in the long term :)

Superterranean
May 3, 2005

after we lit this one, nothing was ever the same
so....on the housing question again. What would Labour do to ensure that the new builds are up to snuff, quality-wise? I mean, there's just no way to meet the demand the manifesto would put on an industry that still wants to build things out of solid masonry.

e: also the eco-friendliness aspect

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
Somebody I don't know made a video on how it's important to be neutral on social media during an election. I thought you all might like it:
https://www.facebook.com/matt.zeqiri/videos/10100768145220352/

Thetobester
Jul 14, 2012

bessantj posted:

Some people really are unhinged when it comes to Momentum. I've seen a few comments now that say they're a cult like Scientology.

They've been saying that from the start. Pretty much every melt that got run out of the party blamed momentum thugs and Corbyn cultists.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

That's just, like, your Opinium, man

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

My Dad just posted this on Facebook. It goes without saying that he's a lost cause

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

"Music is the truth. Just listen..."
All right, thanks guys! I've RSVP'd for canvassing tomorrow. Nervous but excited - I really hope I can help make a difference here :)

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Superterranean posted:

so....on the housing question again. What would Labour do to ensure that the new builds are up to snuff, quality-wise? I mean, there's just no way to meet the demand the manifesto would put on an industry that still wants to build things out of solid masonry.

there's already a building programme in scotland. if you're ever told the number of new builds isn't possible well:
https://www.gov.scot/publications/housing-statistics-quarterly-update-september-2019/pages/2/

quote:

There were 5,612 new build homes completed between January and March 2019; a 24% increase (1,092 homes) on the same quarter in 2018. This brings the total for the year to end March 2019 to 21,292, up 21% (3,669 homes) compared to the 17,623 completed in the previous year.

There were 6,759 new build homes started between January and March 2019, 9% more (566 homes) than the same quarter in 2018. This brings the total for the year to end March 2019 to 22,764 which is up 16% (3,160 homes) compared to the 19,604 homes started in the previous year.
e:

Wiggly Wayne DDS fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 23, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

My Dad just posted this on Facebook. It goes without saying that he's a lost cause

The right is starting to get better at comedy and it's making lefties nervous.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Wasnt it Opinium that called the last election right?

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

15% of your methane gas replaced with hydrogen is a step forwards, sure,

Is this done surgically?

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Survation is the one that's been far more on the ball predicting the last couple elections.

Sycophantry
Jan 4, 2009
Survation got the closest voter intention, I think. YouGov posted some constituency MRP stuff that called it quite accurately too, but they got cold feet and went back to their Tory-leaning model.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Why is labour campaigning so hard if its obvious the lib dems are gonna landslide

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

BizarroAzrael posted:

No, that was Survation I think

Opinium said at least a 30 seat Tory majority (someone predicted a 100 seat Tory majority :laffo:)

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

Gwaint posted:

I've been hitting the doors lately, as a first timer too.

1) No, you need no evidence. You might need to sign in when you turn up to knock, but it is unlikely. You probably won't be carded.

2) Not sure about that one.

3) Just memorise some of the big picture policies. Labour's Brexit position, increased funding for the NHS and public services (don't bother with numbers, nobody on doors or phones will ask for numbers, just remind them that Tory proposals only get us to what they already cut), making billionaires pay their share, 100,000 new houses every year and free broadband. Most people will immediately mention Brexit if they bother to answer, and your job is basically to convince them that this is not a referendum on Brexit but an election on the future of the nation. Don't get technical unless the other person does, most people aren't interested in technicalities. If anyone asks you anything you are not prepared for, admit it and then suggest them to look into the party manifesto. Just admit it to avoid talking yourself into a circle.

You can ask to knock with a partner who is more comfortable and experienced, but I was going solo from the first door and I was worried. Then before long I had hit 80 doors over a couple days and made about 50 phonecalls. Just being at the door and reminding them that Labour exists and an election is happening is helping the cause, you don't need to convince them there and then you just need to make them think about it and tell them how to get more.

Get in touch with your local Momentum branch too. They might be running tutorials for party activism and campaigning to give you a system for doing it, if that is what you want.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Superterranean posted:

From the manifesto

quote:

We will upgrade almost all of the UK’s 27 million homes to the highest energy-efficiency standards, reducing the average household energy bill by £417 per household per year by 2030 and eliminating fuel poverty. We will introduce a zero-carbon homes standard for all new homes.

In practice, the standard we currently build to is piss poor. The current building regs requirement for airtightness allows you to have air leakage equivalent to a 20p sized hole in every square metre of external wall and roof. That's the 'state of the art' for new builds. Nothing more exotic than a bit of care and attention can bring that down by two thirds.

However, 20% of our housing stock was built before 1920 and that stuff needs more work. External insulation, improving window glazing and reducing drafts go a long way towards helping.

Leggsy
Apr 30, 2008

We'll take our chances...

BizarroAzrael posted:

That was Survation. Opinium's final poll had a 7% lead for the Tories two days before polling day. Which was wrong but not as wrong as other polling companies had it (BMG showed the Tories with a 13% lead the day before election day lol)

Speaking of BMG:
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1198318892877336576

deletebeepbeepbeep
Nov 12, 2008

Superterranean posted:

They would have to significantly uplift sustainability requirements within current Building Regulations or introduce new legislation. The industry will whine like CRAZY.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

MikeCrotch posted:

(someone predicted a 100 seat Tory majority :laffo:)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

Thanks for this, it may be just what I need to persuade my sensible centrist sister that Labour aren't insane profligates who will bankrupt the country.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

Gwaint posted:

All right, thanks guys! I've RSVP'd for canvassing tomorrow. Nervous but excited - I really hope I can help make a difference here :)
you'll be fine! get in there :)

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

Actually maybe I've talked myself down a bit too much here.

At work today my coworker was telling me about how he just 'couldn't wait for the election to be over' and has expressed exasperation at seeing other co-workers sharing pro-Labour info on social media. One of his big points was how when he'd talked to them about it, apparently they couldn't refute his arguments so they need to learn to not 'buy into a cult-like minded way' or some other thing (I forget his exact words he used here). He also mentioned he couldn't stand Corbyn, so there's that too.

I kept pretty quiet about my allegiances and that I think Corbyn's a pretty stand-up decent guy. Instead we talked a little about certain policies, such as his problem with how Corbyn voted to let Shamima Begum back into the UK (though we both couldn't remember her name at the time) - I think I did okay when we got onto Brexit. (He voted Remain but was very much on the fence and now wants Brexit done just so we can stop talking about it) The points I put across was:

1) Lib Dem's position isn't great because while cancelling Brexit is great, their way of going about it wouldn't heal the rift in our society between Remainers and Leavers, and would probably further widen it, meaning Leavers would become aggravated that their voice was ultimatedly ignored

2) Tory's position is terrible because of it threatening the Good Friday agreement, and again ignoring a large proportion of the population which isn't going to heal the rift either

3) Labour's policy is sensible because it'll give everyone a final say, and once it's been done we'll all be able to move on from it and help unite our country again

My coworker didn't disagree with me on my points so I guess there's something I might have done well so far!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Braggart posted:

Is this done surgically?

It all happens while you sleep. Fully automated luxury hydrogen gas replacement. The only side effect is a high pitched voice.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Not all olds...

https://twitter.com/suziegeewizz/status/1198322448833363968
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48aVfv0LdLk

:3:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

1) Not as far as I know. They haven't asked for verification in my experience, and you can probably just say it's coming if they ask; depending on where you are either you'll be another of a large number of volunteers or desperately needed so they won't be fussed.

2) That's an email to everyone; from previous call experience there's no direct participation other than in the text chat where they might ask for questions / comments. So no obligatory participation. It'll just be them explaining stuff.

3) An extra person is generally useful, regardless of experience. If we're talking doorstep, to start with you'll be paired with someone else who'll show how it's done. It'd be a good idea to remember just a few big policies that might be relevant, no-one's going to quiz you on the precise details and if they do you can hand off to someone more experienced, ideally the candidate. Labour do "training calls" where they explain how to do stuff like canvassing - checks their Events page. By and large it's just being a friendly face on the doorstep that they can unload on, it's the fact that someone checked in from Labour and asked about their local issues that makes the difference especially if no other party is visibly active where you are. Again, if you experience problems, just hand off to more experienced canvasser. You could also volunteer for leaflet delivery or backroom work if there's any available - don't need to remember the policies then.

I would point out that I've literally never been paired with anyone, and I don't think anyone's ever asked me about my experience. I was just pointed at a door by the board runner and went from there. Mind you I'm a gobby oval office who has a talent for at least looking vaguely like I know what I'm doing, so maybe they just assumed, but this goes all the way back to my very first experience (GOTV during locals) when within about ten minutes of walking in the door I was let out with a list of houses and told to get on with it, although in that case they were asking to literally walk around my block and the neighbouring ones so probably guessed I could handle "Have you voted yet? Do you need any help getting over there? Did you vote Labour?".

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I would point out that I've literally never been paired with anyone, and I don't think anyone's ever asked me about my experience. I was just pointed at a door by the board runner and went from there. Mind you I'm a gobby oval office who has a talent for at least looking vaguely like I know what I'm doing, so maybe they just assumed, but this goes all the way back to my very first experience (GOTV during locals) when within about ten minutes of walking in the door I was let out with a list of houses and told to get on with it, although in that case they were asking to literally walk around my block and the neighbouring ones so probably guessed I could handle "Have you voted yet? Do you need any help getting over there? Did you vote Labour?".

Yeah, more often than not you will just be sent at it. If you want to partner up though, if you ask they will say yes. All working to the same ends, after all.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

Endjinneer posted:

It all happens while you sleep. Fully automated luxury hydrogen gas replacement. The only side effect is a high pitched voice.

Oh wow! I'm a vocalist, and I could use an extension of my upper range :D

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/shaunjlawson/status/1198328682554757122

e:
https://twitter.com/SueLukes/status/1198327208932257795

Apparently the financial conduct authority are looking into the polling companies. Apologies if this isn't news.

NinpoEspiritoSanto fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Nov 23, 2019

Gwaint
Oct 22, 2010

I absolutely will ask to be paired up with someone - that way I can learn from them as well as talk to someone in person about what else I can do to help!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Endjinneer posted:

In practice, the standard we currently build to is piss poor. The current building regs requirement for airtightness allows you to have air leakage equivalent to a 20p sized hole in every square metre of external wall and roof. That's the 'state of the art' for new builds. Nothing more exotic than a bit of care and attention can bring that down by two thirds.
Yeah, the Danish limit is about half that, and AFAIK, the Norwegian limit is significantly stricter than ours. It's literally just a matter of weeding out the worst approaches to building houses, and then doing quality control to make sure people actually follow through on building methods that have been proven to work.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd hate living in a tower block because I wouldn't be able to go near any of the windows and would be constantly tense.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, the Danish limit is about half that, and AFAIK, the Norwegian limit is significantly stricter than ours. It's literally just a matter of weeding out the worst approaches to building houses, and then doing quality control to make sure people actually follow through on building methods that have been proven to work.

Red tape! Red tape! The market wants damp, farting hovels! :byodood:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends where you are and how much of a gobby oval office you are, I guess! I'm not at all, so specifically told them it was my first canvassing and they paired me up

Gwaint posted:

I absolutely will ask to be paired up with someone - that way I can learn from them as well as talk to someone in person about what else I can do to help!
yep, good way to go about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gwaint posted:

Instead we talked a little about certain policies, such as his problem with how Corbyn voted to let Shamima Begum back into the UK (though we both couldn't remember her name at the time)
This is a fun one because I get to go full gammon about how she should have been brought back into the UK to face justice (which is what Corbyn actually wanted, not just to give her a council flat) for the serious crimes that she committed in the UK, and when Ronnie Biggs left the UK we spent more money than he even robbed to get him back, even when he was so old he could barely rob a piggy bank, because Roy Jenkins said he committed a serious crime in Britain and should face his charges before a British judge, no matter the cost, whereas cowards Theresa May and Amber Rudd said "ooo it's expensive or difficult so might as well not bother" so now she could be anywhere and...

Arguing from the fact that not doing it would leave her stateless doesn't work with these people but that sometimes does.